Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

84 Total Messages • Page 3 of 6 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 
All Good Festival | 07.09 - 07.12 | WV
pemdas
pemdas
7/16/2009 06:57 AM

There are a couple pictures of Ben Ellmen from Galactic, the label is incorrect. It has the guy next to him listed as Trombone Shorty, but it is Corey Henry aka Boe Money. They raged!

What a great festival!

onthemoon
onthemoon
7/16/2009 07:24 AM

dudes, the reviewer is not a pro, just a fan sharing his 2 cents. Maybe jambase needs to step it up and hire some professional writers, because if no one else has noticed, they've got a pretty critical group of readers here :)

Just thought it should be noted. carry on

WestKost
WestKost
7/16/2009 07:29 AM

Umphrey's rocked! One of the best times I've seen them. Total energy!

JarrettBellini
JarrettBellini
7/16/2009 07:37 AM

I was doing some blogging for CNN.com from All Good. If anyone is interested reading some of the posts, they can be found here:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/category/all-good-festival/

(Keep in mind, the posts are more about my experiences there, rather than being a complete review. There were certain bands that I chose not to see, and others that I did see but just didn't discuss in the blogs.)

Hope everyone had a blast at All Good!

JarrettBellini
JarrettBellini
7/16/2009 07:40 AM

I was doing some blogging for CNN.com from All Good. If anyone is interested reading some of the posts, they can be found here:

(Keep in mind, the posts are more about my experiences there, rather than being a complete review. There were certain bands that I chose not to see, and others that I did see but just didn't discuss in the blogs.)

JarrettBellini
JarrettBellini
7/16/2009 07:40 AM

JarrettBellini
JarrettBellini
7/16/2009 07:41 AM

Sorry... not sure why when I refresh the page it keeps re-posting. Mod, please delete two of those. I'll log off and see if it stops doing that. My bad.

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
7/16/2009 08:00 AM

I had a fabulous time at All Good, just like every year. I've been to a lot of festivals and none of them is perfect. However, I went to this one with friends, got there early, didn't bring any kids, and stayed away from the obvious shadiness and it was about as close to perfect as it could have been. IMO the nitrous and bullcrap like that was way way down this year AND the weather was perfect. Someone please tell me a better festival than this on the east coast???

Faves were Umphreys, Robert Randolph, Galactic, and Sound Tribe.

funkymtn
funkymtn
7/16/2009 08:28 AM

Ben Harper's Relentless 5 just plain sucks bones.

Thanks for the review, taking the time and energy to give folks a glimpse of what went down...

lovemusical
lovemusical
7/16/2009 09:17 AM

I was at Allgood for the first time last year. Best festival I've ever been to. The music was great and the Mountain top was just unreal. Its hard to know the accuracy of this review not having been there this year. For me its all about the music and the vibes. The beautiful geography just adds so much to the good natural vibes. That being said, there are an element of energy vampires that do show up at these events unfortunatley. They can be avoided for sure but robberies, fights, od's, people with weapons. Are these really an unavoidable necessity of these events? Seeing an 8 year old homeless child beg for change while his "mom" is passed out is really a downer. You reap what you sow I guess. I suppose you could just ignore it and focus on your own good time, but when people who just want to have a good time start to get hurt by this scum it really does affect us all.

LMDC
LMDC
7/16/2009 10:36 AM

Thanks for the article, I thought it was a great overview of the weekend. This was my first time going to All Good, and to any festival of its type... and had an amazing time. I went with a 5 year veteran which helped beyond belief, but I also brought my 17 year old brother (the ticket was his 18th birthday present) and he had probably the best time of his life. I was unfamiliar with a lot of the acts scheduled, but left with a great appreciation and interest for many. I was looking forward to Bassnectar a lot, but found that the reason the show became a highlight was because of the crowd- not the performer. I wasn't overly impressed with his song selection or his visuals, but the crowd was insane and fed off of itself- making it one hell of a scene. I also found the radio station with the live feed of the music playing was clutch when we decided to stay in the shade at our campsite.

The amount of kids was alarming, especially when they are selling beer with their parents... and I also think the author made an appropriate calculation of what happens over a weekend with thousands of people. The festival was amazing overall, and anyone who reads this that didn't attend should plan to next year- I am :)

phan421
phan421
7/16/2009 10:37 AM

Very dissapointing review. Great photography!

LMDC
LMDC
7/16/2009 10:41 AM

Oh - one other comment, while watching one of the mid-day acts on Saturday, a guy from a neighboring campsite took 5 hits of acid and completely kirked out which led to him being tied to a board by the EMS and taken to a hospital. This was after he sliced open my tent in attempts to get in- for whatever reason. He woke up my friend sleeping in the tent next to mine and completely freaked her out while she watched the scene unravel. Our campsite was on the VERY edge of Cheat Overlook, which is basically a cliff. Yep.

tourfan
tourfan
7/16/2009 11:03 AM

I don't think the review is as bad as some of you have said, but obviously Andrew is not a MOE fan nor a Jackie Greene fan. I didn't go this year, though I have been in the past. I know the lay of the land. Too bad about the junkies and kids, but I think none of us want to read about that - we who take the time to read reviews here, are the festival phreaks and know that there are bad elements on the scene now. We don't need to have are reviewers include that in the review. But yes, thanks for taking the time and effort to write your thoughts. As a jambase reviewer myself, I do know how much of an effort it takes, as does the staff of the site. I am also going to echo the comments of a few others that I've read above. I think that Kenny's pics are some of the best that I've seen on Jambase. Love the shots of the colorful people at the event. Pics of the acts are important, and you've gotten those, but the shots of peeps on page five are out of this world. Way to go Kenny. Please keep sharing your visual eye with all of us JB readers. Kayce, please use this photographer some more. Oh, and cavemanUM, a better fest than All Good on East Coast may be Gathering of the Vibes. I'll see ya'll freaks in Bridgeport.

dtx00
dtx00
7/16/2009 11:24 AM

Agree with everyones comments about the downfalls of this fest. To post that about All Good and not about any other fest kinda gives it a bad name, and is probably no worse than any other. I have been to plenty of fests, and they are all the same when it comes to drugs and shadiness. The only thing I can figure about All Good that sets it apart is that it is more concentrated then most others due to its size. I do not agree at all though with including it in your review. Thats the low side of this review, the high side is definetly the pics. Very nice and enjoyed that there were plenty of the people and crowd. Thats what the majorty of the pics that go along with the reviews should be. On a side note I thought when the lineup was first announced this was going to be one of the best All Goods ever, but the scheduling of some of these bands left something to be desired. I just dont understand it. Ben Harper was awful and sucked out all the energy Sat. night that was created by some of the other bands eariler that day. Late nights were spot on though and has become something to look forward to at All Good. Sometimes better than the headliners as was the case this year. Not sure if this is a good trend or not.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use