Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

20 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
EOTO: Building Beauty From Scratch
JamBase
JamBase
7/14/2009 12:00 AM

EOTO: Building Beauty From Scratch
Sweeping though the country and making bodies sweat, this electronic String Cheese off-shoot shows no signs of slowing. Get the story, as well as new SCI insight from Jason Hann...

Badgerboy1
Badgerboy1
7/14/2009 06:03 PM

cool article. These guys are great! Anyone who has been to their shows can attest to how awesome these guys are on and off stage. Always fun to bump into them at a show and chat for a bit. Can't wait for some more EOTO in Michigan!

fishbone1
fishbone1
7/14/2009 07:00 PM

Can;t wait for EOTO in MI? seems like u missed it buddy. they played in G Rap and at Rothbury last week. eoto is always a good time.

ps - Jason Hann told me @ rothbury b4 dylan that Cheese will be touring in 2010.

snugglinnugs
snugglinnugs
7/14/2009 07:30 PM

fishZ No doubt about it my buddy! and i am excited to see whats in store for us next year. but this year soo far has been great and not even close to done! going to see EOTO thur.

snugglinnugs
snugglinnugs
7/14/2009 07:30 PM

fishZ No doubt about it my buddy! and i am excited to see whats in store for us next year. but this year soo far has been great and not even close to done! going to see EOTO thur.

Beaser
Beaser
7/14/2009 09:24 PM

These guys are ridiculous. I honestly wish this interview happened after Rothbury so we could have gotten their insight on that craziness...either way an incredible article. EOTO is more than sure to please on any given night...anyone who was at Tripolee can attest to that...Catch them if you have the chance

bbqribs
bbqribs
7/15/2009 09:03 AM

Great Band they are really breaking ground. Spokane and Victor (of course) look like the shows for me. Can't wait.

gmoo
gmoo
7/15/2009 10:34 AM

First off, I want to let it be known that Michael Travis and Jason Hann are two nice, down to earth guys who are a pleasure to hang out with.

As for EOTO, I think they are average at best. I've seen them 10 times or so now, and although there can be good moments scattered throughout a set, I have yet to see a show that moves me the way good show should.

I don't know if EOTO thinks their fans are too spun to realize it or what, but the whole '100% creation on the fly' shtick they use to promote their music is nothing more than clever marketing. Not only do they use the same tones from show to show, but I've heard the same compositions 4 out of the last 5 shows I've seen them play.

Don't get me wrong...EOTO brings some decent things to the table every once and a while. However, I would argue that EOTO music is not groundbreaking and certainly isn't what it claims itself to be.

Badgerboy1
Badgerboy1
7/15/2009 12:06 PM

Dear fishz: Was at Rothbury. Doesnt mean I cant be excited for them to come back to michigan again braaaaah.

rulosa01
rulosa01
7/15/2009 01:04 PM

Gonna have to agree with Gmoo. I was waiting for that in the article, for them to say something along the lines of "sometimes we do the same shit" but Jason Hann sidestepped that one nicely.

Definitely a cool project/idea, but the 100% improv thing is BS and holding them back IMO. imagine if they spent a good 6 months creating a bunch of tunes to improvise off of, what they could do then. Sometimes I just think they are limiting themselves.

Chaloupka
Chaloupka
7/15/2009 06:56 PM

Talented musicians, no doubt. But EOTO's music is a big wank.

bluesrequiem
bluesrequiem
7/15/2009 07:45 PM

They have "themes" they play that are the same throughout 5 or 6 shows, and they improvise and tweak them slightly....so yes, he sidestepped it nicely :) cuz they do play alot of the same themes...EOTO isnt groundbreaking music on CD, but they are super fun live, and the entire audience rages it....i will see them every time they come in my town/ festival.....and Jason Hann is the coolest...PRAANG, and ZILLA are where its at though...

PastPresence
PastPresence
7/15/2009 10:09 PM

Eoto is definitely one of my favorite live bands. They feed off the energy and emotion of not only the crowd, but their environment as well in profound ways. Of course they aren't going to throw down 100% fresh new grooves every single time they play. In fact that is likely impossible, unless they wanted to sound like some sort of abstract acid jazz experimental sideshow. They range from primordial dub right on through melodic trance and every damn genre in between. You can put any instrument known to man up there with them and they will blend and create with it seamlessly. Jason and Travis are true virtuosos of their craft. I've been to about 20 Eoto shows, and although you do hear many similar grooves...they always take that groove into a different direction, or play it at a varied bpm, or feature a different instrument, or change the climactic peak progression, or something spontaneous and fresh. They are also a continually evolving entity. Listening to their style even a year ago is far different than now. But ultimately what I fell is best about them, as this well written article reveals, is that their main plan is to create great energetic music that brings people together in a thunderously fun environment. I think the main reason Travis and Jason play absurd touring schedules rockin 30 shows back to back at times to spread positive vibes, meet new people and scenes, and share the music they love...above just testing the boundaries of spontaneous musical creativity.

fishbassplayer
fishbassplayer
7/15/2009 11:27 PM

EOTO is cool, not the greatest abnd, but definately a fun time. I first saw them while working in Denver in Sept 07 at Cervante's Ballroom. L8 night, they played for like 2 1/2 hours. Sick. I agree, Travis and Hann are very cool cats. Remember, they're just people too. Great article.

Hankskool
Hankskool
7/16/2009 12:26 AM

Saw them in a couple of outings lasst year, one at Crystal Bay, the other in San Francisco during the holidays. The first show was well played but I remember thinking, jesus, Hann needs a little more than a simple trap kit with no toms or this guy's going to get bored with this. It was so wierd to see that mutant Travis playing all of those different instruments, and pretty well. Their holiday show at the Great American was fantastic and not just because they played a nice powerful little piece with Kang and Phil Lesh.

Hann-- You know how to play a great trap kit. What do you say you add a couple of heavy toms and really start shaking everyone's backbone?

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use