Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

16 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Emmitt and Nershi: Taking A Step Back
JamBase
JamBase
7/7/2009 12:00 AM

Emmitt and Nershi: Taking A Step Back
We get the scoop on Emmitt-Nershi Band's upcoming album and tour. Come along as we learn of their humble roots and get fresh insight about the future of both Salmon and SCI...

friendlyjohn
friendlyjohn
7/7/2009 05:53 PM

Roots Run Deep...I love seeing Billy getting back to that bluegrass.

weirman
weirman
7/8/2009 12:33 AM

This is one of the best articles I have read on Jambase. Very well written, and their is not a better band around that such a good article could be written for. I hope the good comings of the emmitt nershi band recently only blooms into amazing newgrass created by theses 4 extremely talented pickers for years to come! Also props to Polly Gray on the incredible pictures. She captures the two bluegrass icons so well. Keep the news on this band coming and I can't wait till I get to experience the unique sound they create again!:):):)

florentinepogen
florentinepogen
7/8/2009 09:13 AM

they really need a fiddle player....preferably not Kang

zady
zady
7/8/2009 09:39 AM

awesome article! i had very little knowledge on how emmitt & nershi came to be and to learn it from this was great.

very well written!

keep up the good work!

u001755
u001755
7/8/2009 10:13 AM

Great article Hersch, It's good to know that there is a community of great people who still love grassroots music. Not to talk electronic music down but there is something missing that is less organic and real that will never get the same vibe as 4 guys picking on strings. Ironically, it was the incorporation of electronic music that turned me on to cheese 7 years ago. I love electronic music when it is incorporated with other instruments, as long as it is not the sole focus of the music. Not to change the subject but is anyone else getting sick of festivals making all the late night shows electronic? Are people really that spun out and mindless at that point that all they can enjoy is the techno beat played from a "live PA"? Mix it up a little, I don't despise electronic music, I just think it is a little overrated at times and it is much better when a little electro is incorporated with real instruments. Way to go on the article Hersch, sorry for my rant, but I am jsut trying to stir the pot

chadsmi
chadsmi
7/8/2009 06:27 PM

Pictures from this show can be seen here: http://chadsmithphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/8841896_DdBYD

pfleghaar
pfleghaar
7/8/2009 07:25 PM

Why not Kang? Kang was a fiddle player before he was a mandolin player...

pfleghaar
pfleghaar
7/8/2009 07:25 PM

Why not Kang? Kang was a fiddle player before he was a mandolin player...

phishdead2
phishdead2
7/9/2009 09:32 AM

I say they have another BIG Summer Classic tour, but this time its just cheese, salmon and all side projects. How cool would that be.... Cheese, Emmitt Nershi, Eoto, Zilla, Panjea, and Kyle's band, and throw in leftover and it would be crazy. that would be an amazing festi and it would bring together so many good things. don't know if it would happen but it would bring the best of both worlds for everone.

damoncory
damoncory
7/9/2009 11:16 AM

Great article!

Zarathustra: The 10KLF Late night stage is usually all "rock" or "grass" bands, I think there are 2 Electronic acts this year & they are both before the 1:30am bands.

phishdead2: Bingo!

DirtyRice
DirtyRice
7/11/2009 09:30 AM

Excellent article! I love the historical info on Left Hand and Salmon Heads and the evolution of Cheese and Salmon. Leftover Salmon is indeed one of the greatest live bands! Cheese too!

henry88
henry88
7/13/2009 04:07 AM

why doesn't keller fill in for billy, so sci can tour, i mean id prefer billy but kellers got enough charsmia for lead role in one of the better bands, yay or nay

mhc10
mhc10
7/13/2009 01:15 PM

Leftover Salmon "King of Jamgrass"?????

Wrong, New Grass Revival!!!!!

u001755
u001755
7/14/2009 04:14 PM

henry88- Keller would not be a solid permanent member of SCI, they are two totally different styles and Nersh is the main founding member. I am not a big KW fan but he is a phenomenol guitar player that just wouldn't flow well with Cheese. You just can't replace Billy and still have any remnant of SCI left. Kang, Kyle, Keith, Hann, and Travis, are all phenomenol artists as well but when you take away any of them it takes away from more than 1/6 of the whole. salvadordail-- I haven't really looked at all the late-night schedules for fests. I was really just referring to the fests that I have been to; Scamp, Waka, and Roth. This was more of an observation of a trend that I believe is developing. I also want to make a point about my previous point regarding electronic music. I don't think it takes any less talent, creativity, or soul to create synthetic music, it's just that I prefer roots music and it does much more for me than any other type.

Emmitt-Nershi is the heat and I cannot wait to see them soon!!!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use