By far the best festival I have ever been to. The fans couldn't have been nicer. The security was nonexistant.
The Music was amazing.
I was proud to see Lotus graduate from the bar scene and prove they deserve a place with the big boys. Similar efforts by Umphrey's and Disco Biscuits.
The crowd is Michigan is so cool. They wear hats with strange objects on it that dance above the crowds. People were just plain fun. I wasn't hastled at all.
My top 7 of the festival.
1. String Cheese Incident- It is impossible to describe how unhinged and wild it was at the String Cheese ShoW. Not only was the band perfect and intense, but it felt as if you were at Cirque de Soleil with all the fire breathers and acrobats on stage and the crazy Orion fires in the sky. String CHeese set the bar so high that the rest of the weekend, as good as it was, only seemed an attempt to recreate a high at the CHEEZE like I haven't seen since Jerry left us. This band will be back after New Years.
2. Disco Biscuits - They brought dance music to another level. Also as unhinged and wild as Cheese and it didn't hurt that the crowd was pumped up by #3 on this list. the Biscuits will have to start renting Bigger halls.
3. Lotus, graduated to the big time
4. Chromeo. The coolest ever and you all must see him
5. Umphrey's McGee just tore it up Also showing that their days in bars may be numbered.
6. The Dead - Great Show, but I found myself drawn to Umphrey's.
7. BOb DYlan- I was Tripping face and it was a surprise how great a band he had with him. Bob also sounded great.
I won't insult anyone there. I enjoyed many bands. These are just my favorites.
Thank You Rothbury. You are good people.