Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

16 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
David Byrne | 06.26.09 | Berkeley
JamBase
JamBase
7/3/2009 12:00 AM

David Byrne | 06.26.09 | Berkeley
Bryne closes his US tour in style with the help of Devotchka and Extra Action Marching...

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
7/3/2009 08:25 AM

Truly a living legend. He never ceases to amaze.

Hankskool
Hankskool
7/3/2009 10:47 AM

I am very thankful that Jambase decided to review this show. I feel sorry for the people that I worked with for the two nights after I saw this show since I couldn't shut up talking about it, nor playing all of the great bandit You tube clips from it that people got posted the next day. Check out the Burning down the House on You tube from that night.

My first REAL concert that I ever attended was a Talking Heads show in between "Remain in Light" and "Speaking in Tongues" in Clarkston , MI. It was real because it was the first time that I had ever submerged in a giant mob of dancing people, start to finish.Excepting this strange yodeling type thing I saw him do in Seattle back in the early nineties, I didn't see him again until the other night in berkeley. It took about a song and half before the Greek was transformed into a giant dancing fishbowl led by Byrne and his stage of dancers, singers, and rythm players. The first three songs of Remain in Light--"Born under Punches", "Crosseyed and Painless", and "The Great Curve" are the three primary reasons I have always loved this guy and they truly are the crux of the biscuit. Mix in "Help Me Somebody" , sans the preacher, which apparently he got into trouble for sampling , he said, and this show was heaven. Oh yeah, he played Heaven too. The only time I really missed Tina was during the guitar/bass call-and-response during the Great Curve but maybe they just had the bass player down too low in the mix for that song. He also did a couple amazing pieces off his "Three Big Songs" solo album, an album so obscure (yet so danceable) that it's impossible to find anywhere anymore. As an aside to the impossible to find thing, if there are any of you out there that read this that has a digital copy of "Q'Ran" off of "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" album can you contact me using my Hanskool link? I lost my original copy which had it. Subsequent rereleases don't even include it. I'm assuming , after hearing him speak of his "sampling " problems with another piece on that album that he ran afoul of someone for the haunting vocals on QRAN. Perhaps he got the Solmon Rushdie treatment or something. Who knows.

This guy can sing, he can dance, and he can play. And he connects.

Hankskool
Hankskool
7/3/2009 11:14 AM

By the way. This setlist doesn't include Born Under Punches, which was definitely in there somewhere. It's even up on Youtube.

Hankskool
Hankskool
7/3/2009 11:21 AM

And Big Business. Definitely did that one too. No video though.

MimiLuv
MimiLuv
7/3/2009 01:21 PM

i saw him at radio city few months back. show was good, had a good time. just really REALLY got sick of his dancers, i mean its cool for them to come out on a couple of songs, but they really took away from the show. especially the white guy in tights that seemed like he couldnt get enough attention. would have been 100% better without any of them. i mean its david fucking byrnes, do you really need a guy in a white to-to runnig around the whole show like a butterfly? i mean COMON DAVE! and yes ive seen his dvd's i know the drill he always has something going on, but these dancers were just a bad idea, and ive heard this from just about everyone i know that has seen this tour.

bigchris
bigchris
7/3/2009 02:26 PM

What a fantastic night at the Greek, it was like a big disco party there, I can't remember seeing a crowd get down so much in Bezerkly. The music and dancers were great all night, talk about amazing energy. Even got to say hi to Jerry Harrison and his kids before the show, how cool is that! Nice review and great pics from Josh.

Byrne is just a musical genius, bar none. He gave the crowd at the Greek a memorable night and then some. The Xtra Action Marching Band coming down from the top of the lawn to march through the crazed crowd was the cherry on top of one hellva rockin' sundae. I'll take another, please!

ldben
ldben
7/3/2009 04:19 PM

thats a steep lawn for a marching band to march down, woulda been a sight to see

mgizmo
mgizmo
7/4/2009 12:41 PM

I saw the Seattle show and it sounds like almost the same setlist (a few exceptions) and the same basic format. After the band took a bow, they came back out and played like 4 more songs, took another bow, and then brought in the marching band and then "Road To Nowhere." Another bow, then another return for "Everything That Happens." I agree with the genius assessment, DB is on another level from most. I disagree with the dancers being distracting. I liked them and at one point was totally hypnotized by their episode with the rolling office chairs. I could see how if I hadn't been in the right head space, I might have found some of their activities distracting. But you can't blame them without laying blame at the feet of Byrne, because he obviously crafts every facet of the performance including the dancers.

Hankskool
Hankskool
7/4/2009 01:04 PM

D LIne . I hear what your saying about the dancers. I really enjoyed them myself, but quite honestly, the stage dancers weren't a third as dynamic and fun to watch as the crowd dancers. I was in a good side spot on the little cement steps on the pit that enabled me to watch Byrne play and sing, be square in front of the PA to hear it, and be able to dance and watch a real large chunk of the crowd in the bowl dance. Best of all worlds.

soulink
soulink
7/6/2009 03:33 PM

I was there... Amazing show.

Blinds35
Blinds35
7/7/2009 10:40 AM

Thanks for reviewing the show! I feel that everything in this review is a complete and total understatement! Where is that youtube link? I assume that the reason that there is no picture of what the greek looked like during burning down the house is that the photographer was dancing like a complete fool like the rest of us were!

gcloondes
gcloondes
7/7/2009 11:05 AM

@Blinds35 here's my humble twitpic for you during BDTH: http://yfrog.com/0pzc7j

gcloondes
gcloondes
7/7/2009 11:06 AM

@blinds35 - one more for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AEF7FGRKj0

Blinds35
Blinds35
7/7/2009 11:38 AM

Sweet Nick!!! Thanks!