Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

33 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
STS9: More Than Meets the Ear
JamBase
JamBase
6/30/2009 12:00 AM

STS9: More Than Meets the Ear
David Phipps talks to us about STS9's brand new remix album, Katrina, the difficulties of being a socially motivated dance band and why the next step for STS9 might be acoustic!?

fishbone1
fishbone1
6/30/2009 06:40 PM

oh now, jambase, stop getting me so excited for Rothbury! gonna be off the hook!

michaelpward7
michaelpward7
6/30/2009 07:31 PM

got to have respect for these guys...puttin in work for New Orleans

and wow, moving toward timeless, melodic, acoustic tunes??? is it possible we'll be getting more tracks like so it goes.... i sure hope so

oh and if this is to make up for the last canceled atlanta shows how about playing the Call everyone was talking about, or poseidon, or t.w.e.l.v.e....cant freakin wait

musiqal4lifej7
musiqal4lifej7
6/30/2009 07:46 PM

they are a class act...no matter what anyone has to say, these people are good people

michaeljackson
michaeljackson
6/30/2009 08:55 PM

I respect the hell out of these guys for there charity work, the there music has really jumped the shark. I really miss the old STS9 if you know what I mean. And what's the deal with them only playing one-set shows now? That's weaksauce.

milesgone
milesgone
7/1/2009 05:46 AM

ever changing, ever evolving. will this hurt them, or help them?

they just always better play the old stuff we are all used to.

We've gone... I don't want to say as far we can, but we've really gone headfirst into that whole methodology of creating music and being able to bring something that's bigger than your own instrument to the stage and pull it off - the laptop AND the guitar. But now the pendulum's swinging [and] we find ourselves playing acoustic guitar and a real piano and trying to write some really beautiful progressions and melodies that are just really strong [and] timeless. The next round of Sector 9 might be completely different.

-David Phipps

louie1827
louie1827
7/1/2009 07:12 AM

they only play one set shows now?? honestly these guys started to go stale to me sometime around '04/'05 but maybe they will really start doing something fresh soon. I find their live shows these days to be predictable note for note and its almost boring... maybe they can win me back at latenight in the tent at camp this year

jmstuber87
jmstuber87
7/1/2009 07:42 AM

i saw tribe in march and they played a 2 set show

bluesrequiem
bluesrequiem
7/1/2009 09:21 AM

ive been seeing sts9 since 2003, and i think the recent stuff is some of the most enjoyable live, but thats just my opinion...2004 was a good sts9 year as well, but they have BLOWN UP since ive been first watching them...they are on a whole nother level than most bands in the jam scene...their new album is awesome too (Bass Science, Deru, Calmer, yes please...) so go buy it and contribute to a great cause in the process...Ive seen a few boring shows of sts9, but ive also seen some incredible ones that leave no mercy for any listener in the crowd...so dont say they are boring after one bad show!

KSTS9
KSTS9
7/1/2009 09:38 AM

I've a fan of Sound Trive no doubt I've seen them live 5 times, once at a festy and the other times indoors, some shows I have enjoyed more than others for whatever reason but I can't wait to see how All Good goes down just wish they play later time slot. I also have mad respect for what they bring to the community and all the charity work, mad props on that end. Keep bringing it guys across the board.

xlenoxx
xlenoxx
7/1/2009 10:29 AM

good music, good people, good work.

adamkid4
adamkid4
7/1/2009 01:23 PM

Ive been telling everyone this would happen! Yeah back to the roots fellas!!!

stoweskier
stoweskier
7/1/2009 01:48 PM

I don't think STS9 has achieved a better sound than they did on the original Peaceblaster ( i have not heard the remix). I find some of their older stuff too down, disjointed, flashy and technical but lacking context and direction. Peaceblaster just drips with emotion and cohesion. It ebbs and flows like a concept album. It's much more to my liking than Artifact or some of their older live stuff. I have not been lucky enough yet to see them live (but i plan on it!).

21mmer
21mmer
7/1/2009 03:00 PM

sts9 doesn't do it for me these days, but i have to give mad respect to the band based on what was laid out in this article. way to go guys.....it's good to see people that are in a position to 'make a difference' put there money where their mouth is, step up to the plate, and get it done.

joggles
joggles
7/1/2009 08:17 PM

sound tribes was on at waka, both sets were killer. i went in with low expectations cause they had been soundin pretty stale to me as of late, and maybe it was just cause it was live but they sounded tight, and their peaks didnt sound nearly as scripted as they have been, i was pretty impressed. but still i think its prob do or die time for em. they either need to bust threw or i think that theyll just stay at their level and be done growing.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use