Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
The Slip | 06.26.09 | NYC
JamBase
JamBase
6/30/2009 12:00 AM

The Slip | 06.26.09 | NYC
The rare joy of a Slip show comes to the Bowery for the first and only NY show in over two...

pugoet
pugoet
6/30/2009 01:37 PM

is this the same slip that played with miracle orchestra to create the miracle slip?

etloeb
etloeb
6/30/2009 02:39 PM

anyone got an aud of this guy?

jpenney
jpenney
6/30/2009 05:55 PM

Nice article, Thomas. We arrived a bit late, but this was a good show, as one would expect from The Slip. Obviously, they aren't at top form, having played very little of late. But this is an exceptional band that has grown over the years. I still loved them as more of a straight up jazz/jam band before they went more indie, but that transition did work well for them.

One minor pick: I wouldn't have termed it "a obligatory Michael Jackson tribute.'' I thought that was classy and one of the highlights of the night. By the way, for anyone who was there, what MJ song did the DJ play right after this performance? People stayed around and danced and that was great. I was conveying this to my sister but I completely frustrated her with not being able to recall the name of the tune. Any help out there? Thanks

bluefox
bluefox
6/30/2009 11:33 PM

So good The Slip is back in the game, one of the true gems out there!!! Marco and The Slip have been playing together for more than a couple of years, by the way... I believe they go way back, I know they all went to Berklee. (Marco graduated, the Slip dropped out...)

Can't wait for their High Sierra sets! With all the new tunes one can hope that they will announce some sort of touring sometimes soon!

jackiesoup
jackiesoup
7/1/2009 01:06 AM

Rad Anne!

Nice article and please come to Toronto Slip. We love you....

brienza66
brienza66
7/1/2009 05:58 AM

Thank you brad andrew and marc! That was a fine show and you had a perfect mix of jams thrown in. I have been waiting nearly 10 years to hear the weight Solomon and had to throw it in on the ride home... man come back to NYC with Timo and play it again!!!!!!!!

and yea.. Yellow Medicine.. wow!

Great show, dig the new tune, brad you kick ass.

Reilly- nice review BUT no one wants Nathan out of Surprise Me Mr. Davis, marco would make it a great 5 man band BUT Nathan makes Surprise me what it is

brienza66
brienza66
7/1/2009 05:58 AM

Thank you brad andrew and marc! That was a fine show and you had a perfect mix of jams thrown in. I have been waiting nearly 10 years to hear the weight Solomon and had to throw it in on the ride home... man come back to NYC with Timo and play it again!!!!!!!!

and yea.. Yellow Medicine.. wow!

Great show, dig the new tune, brad you kick ass.

Reilly- nice review BUT no one wants Nathan out of Surprise Me Mr. Davis, marco would make it a great 5 man band BUT Nathan makes Surprise me what it is

bear22
bear22
7/1/2009 12:50 PM

They did the same tribute to MJ in Boston, the day he died. There was no "Yellow medicine' at this show, the author probably thought "Wolof" was it. Still, a nice review.

brienza66
brienza66
7/1/2009 01:05 PM

The author reviewed the NYC show, not the Boston one. They DID play yellow medicine in NYC and solomom. Hope the Boston show was as good as NYC

JangleMan
JangleMan
7/2/2009 08:38 AM

Hey folks. T Reilly here. Just want acknowledge my mistake that in fact "Yellow Medicine" was NOT played at the Bowery Ballroom. I mistook the song "Wolof" to be "Yellow Medicine". Thanks Phrazz and SlipLive folks! And thanks all for the comments.

phrazz
phrazz
7/2/2009 09:56 AM

Great article...creatively captured the vibe well. That sounded like Wolof to me...we can check the tapes when they roll around. There were a couple times I ditched out to hit the head or grab a smoke...but I think I caught at least part of every song. Nice to see Marco there, too...he was having a jolly time with his "squeeze box". There was a solid group of hard-core NY Slip fans there...I ran into dozens of people I knew. Overall a fantastic show, but wished it could have been longer and more peeps to show up (next time it will). It's been so long...time flies when 2/3 of the band is in Canada. ;)

If you want to see more and higher-quality pix, check out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phrazz/sets/72157620609013041/show

I know the boys are gonna tear it up this weekend at High Sierra. Wish I could be there!

-Keep on rockin',

Phrazz

lsamuel3
lsamuel3
7/6/2009 10:59 PM

geat review, check mine out over at http://backin15mins.blogspot.com A discussion of all things music along with pics and vids, interview with brad barr soon to come!

JAZ_DC
JAZ_DC
7/8/2009 11:05 AM

Thanks for the review, Tom. "Coldplay meets Ringo..." is very evocative, if not quite my cup of tea.

And I'm glad to hear the boys are still evolving musically--although I must admit I got lost when they switched from jazz to the more indie-rock sound.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use