Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Georgia Theatre: Rising from the Ashes
JamBase
JamBase
6/25/2009 12:00 AM

Georgia Theatre: Rising from the Ashes
As the smoke clears, Truckers, Tribers, Whigs and the people who know the venue inside and out share their stories and hopes of seeing The Classic City's cultural epicenter rock again...

jwil191
jwil191
6/25/2009 06:15 PM

great article, great venue.

theterriblebob
theterriblebob
6/25/2009 06:28 PM

MY favorite GAT musical moment: 10-19-2002 Disco biscuits:: the very moon > run like hell (encore)..... My very favorite moment of over 300+ shows. The original GA Theatre will be dearly missed. good luck to all the staff, employees, owners, local musicians and interested georgians.

crazynate
crazynate
6/26/2009 05:32 AM

Good read, and what a landmark venue in the south where so many great bands have played. It sounds like the Georiga Theater will be back and hopefully better than ever!

oxshensby
oxshensby
6/26/2009 05:48 AM

I hope they are able to rebuild. Good luck to the owners and staff. So much history there, very sad to hear this news...

beatnick
beatnick
6/26/2009 07:46 AM

Favorite GAT momments-

Biscuits - 11/3/00 with Ozric Tentacles opening.

Biscuits - 10/19/02 encore -longest I've ever seen a band play with the lights on.

UM - 3/10/05 Amazing show and hanging out backstage with Rev Jeff Mosier and UM was the biggest highlight of my many great GA theater experiences.

colecreek
colecreek
6/26/2009 09:30 AM

Only GAT experience...Don't remember who played...

You could feel the spirit of the musical legacy inside

rolled out into the street with 2 beers in hand to see Panic in the streets

Disco opener!

built to last...

sandoz
sandoz
6/26/2009 10:29 AM

SCI fall 2000....whew, that was fun -- cheapest beer in the US

inkmonkey
inkmonkey
6/26/2009 02:11 PM

R.Em. didnt no play there until they made it huge and it was only for unannounced shows, benefits. Also Phish opened up for Panic in 90 not 91. Research. Got red the rest of the article to see if there were any other mistakes.

02/01/90 Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA

0: Machine > Barstools and Dreamers > Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin > Barstools and Dreamers, Mr. Soul, Driving Song > Proving Ground > Driving Song > A of D > Rock > C. Brown, Space Wrangler, Impossible > Love Tractor, Holden Oversoul > It Ain't No Use > Porch Song

E: I Walk On Guilded Splinters

[Phish opened]

inkmonkey
inkmonkey
6/26/2009 02:11 PM

R.Em. didnt no play there until they made it huge and it was only for unannounced shows, benefits. Also Phish opened up for Panic in 90 not 91. Research. Got red the rest of the article to see if there were any other mistakes.

02/01/90 Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA

0: Machine > Barstools and Dreamers > Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin > Barstools and Dreamers, Mr. Soul, Driving Song > Proving Ground > Driving Song > A of D > Rock > C. Brown, Space Wrangler, Impossible > Love Tractor, Holden Oversoul > It Ain't No Use > Porch Song

E: I Walk On Guilded Splinters

[Phish opened]

TendaiCooney
TendaiCooney
6/26/2009 05:16 PM

great story- loved the one about B.B. King and jimmmy buffet hahaha. awesome. gath is where i first fell in love with live music- cant wait to see bands RAGE in support of one of the best venues in the country. long live the tunes

Nolanjams
Nolanjams
6/27/2009 12:05 PM

Hate to say it but the few times I have been in Athens, the people were very rude, not to say the rude people were from athens, but it leaves me not wanting to travel there and spend time or money there. If they build a new place maybe nice people will run it and friendly people will go there. Lets hope.

kaiserbun
kaiserbun
6/28/2009 06:43 PM

i'll miss the theatre, seen over 100 shows there. that 10/02 Biscuits show a few people have mentioned was incredible. my favorite show was probably a north mississippi allstars show years back when the panic guys came out and played with them. great times. your 1 in a million that feels that way Nolanjams, nothing but good people over there.

MerDawg
MerDawg
6/29/2009 05:02 PM

Aww... my first time there was Sound Tribe Sector 9 Live at Georgia Theater on 2004-01-17 - Sound Tribe Sector 9. The show was sold out, and we hung outside the front door all day listening to our boys set up. We held up a sign all day, with no luck. Murph came out and added us to his guest list. What a great venue!! We went back many times for Tribe shows after that.

1-17-04: Crowd/Intro 2. Just Thanks 3. Inspire Strikes Back 4. Once Told 5. Water Song 6. Breathe In 7. T.W.E.L.V.E. 8. Luma Daylight 9. Everything You Know is Wrong (Tokyo) Disc 2 1. Squares and Circles 2. Moonsockets 3. Today 4. Ramone & Emiglio 5. From Now On 6. Movements > 4 My Peeps 7. Rilly Whut? Disc 3 1. And Some Are Angles), show was sold out and Murph added myself, my friend and two other

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use