Georgia Theatre Burns Down
JamBase
JamBase
6/19/2009 12:00 AM

Georgia Theatre Burns Down

Uoft23
Uoft23
6/19/2009 11:33 AM

Thats awful, such an awesome and monumental theatre for Athens. Hopefully it will come back and be better than ever.

rastarusty
rastarusty
6/19/2009 11:38 AM

That sucks!!! I've never been there, but there are some of old theaters out there with so much character.

It's a shame when something like this happens.

Hopefully they get that place rebuilt and continue to have some good shows.

If it was arson whoever did it better get some major trouble. it sucks when that's your local music scene. That's one less venue people can go and enjoy music.

Good luck to them though, getting it back up and running at all.

willonguitar
willonguitar
6/19/2009 11:44 AM

GA Theatre: get well soon!

love this venue... too many great shows, too many good times had in that room! hope to see it back up an running ASAP.

evanbozarth
evanbozarth
6/19/2009 11:45 AM

R.I.P. georgia theatre - my gut tells me this kinda place cannot be rebuilt...they just don't make em like this anymore...its like the old delta bluesmen dying off...there will never be others like them again - end of an era...what we CAN DO is support the remaining classic theaters in this country, because when they're gone, they're gone forever.

peace

tourfan
tourfan
6/19/2009 11:52 AM

Though I am back in the Northeast now, in my six year tenure in Atlanta, I took in many fantastic performances at the Georgia Theater. The sound was excellent, the atmosphere phriendly. It will be missed indeed.

treetops78
treetops78
6/19/2009 11:57 AM

When we first moved back to Atlanta 8+ years ago we spent so many good nights at the GA Theater. Driving over took around an hour and a half and there were so many tales and conversations about what we were going to see and other things. The drive was easy no matter if it was a work night or school night or the weekend. No show there was out of reach and it brought in acts that may not come to Atlanta for one reason or another. These days trips to the Theater were less frequent although still alive. Recently we found ourselves at the 40 Watt or just staying home more, maybe our tastes in music had evolved or we got more responsibility. Either way, the Georgia Theater was somewhere that has a taken up space in our hearts and minds from the memories we have gathered and it is a sad day today to hear about the damage. I hope that the Classic City does the right thing and tries to rebuild this monument to music and culture.

"Do what you can when you can, if you can't, don't do it...that's all I gots to say about that, that's all I gots to say..."

bmwsrok11
bmwsrok11
6/19/2009 11:58 AM

Honestly, this is really really terrible news. I don't even know what to say. Athens music scene is really and truly amazing and this was the heart and soul of it all. Besides the people of course. I have faith that it will be resurrected, as it really is a staple of the town, but I don't know if it will ever be the same or not.

It really makes that last tribe run there truly that much more special.

Seriously, for real, R.I.P GA Theatre!

treetops78
treetops78
6/19/2009 12:12 PM

From Brock Butler's Facebook Profile:

"I will be playing tonight at Barnetts 114 college ave. At ten o'clock. For those interested. Please pass this on. Don't know what the cover will be, some form of donation. Hope you can make it out. Sincerely Brock"

More INFO:

BROCK SOLO TONIGHT - Georgia Theatre Benefit

10:oo

114 College Ave

Athens, GA 30601-2805

(706) 546-0966

Donations will be accepted at the door for the Georgia Theatre and it’s staff.

In addition, Barnette’s will be donating $1 from every drink purchase to the Georgia Theatre staff.

If you can make it, it's for a good cause.

JJ

pat5507
pat5507
6/19/2009 12:18 PM

I live 2 blocks from the Theatre and it is a drastic blow to the music scene in Athens, as well as to the wonderful staff who are all jobless now. This is terrible news in so many ways. It is very sad that the roof caved in and now they're worried about the Clayton St wall crumbling. I am confident that the historic venue will rise fromof its ashes, but that will take more than a year and the bands that played at the theatre will have slim pickins in Athens as to where they will call home now. Athens doesn't have the enough venues to absorb the loss of the theatre. So sad. Best wishes to all the Theatre staff.

moemoe6434
moemoe6434
6/19/2009 12:25 PM

This is REM's hometown and they have more money than god. I hope they help them out substantially.

bluke
bluke
6/19/2009 12:39 PM

Sad sad news. But on the bright side, be on the lookout for an absurdly over-the-top and guest-filled Panic benefit concert at the Classic Center. They'll raise more money than the place was ever worth. Not to sa you can ever rebuild character.

Ath1
Ath1
6/19/2009 12:39 PM

I have faith that we will be able to see shows in a new Georgia Theatre in the future. The soul of the theatre, staff and supporters will see to it! I have a hole in my heart where the original once stood.

Ston
Ston
6/19/2009 01:05 PM

April 18 and 19, 2008 Disco Biscuit Shows were my only trip to Athens (I live in MN). What a memorable time and I'm glad I got a chance to see awesome music there. RIP!

TheJuice
TheJuice
6/19/2009 01:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcbOF4Av4c

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use