Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

25 Total Messages • Page 2 of 2 • « Previous 1 2 
Phish | 06.16 | The Fox, St. Louis
scotbeckham
scotbeckham
6/18/2009 08:20 AM

I'm glad the boys are back. They sound great to me and I will see them every chance I get. Mimiluv, Frankie Says is a gay name for a song, but is a great song in my opinion. Sleep is a good chill jam, and while nothing mind-blowing, is still good. It's good to hear some songs that haven't been played on this tour being thrown in to every show (at least one every show so far). I respect everyone's opinion, good or bad, but I'm not holding Phish to a flawless standard. Phish has never been a perfect band, but have always been incredible to me. I for one and extremely pumped they are back and hope they continue to tour for a long time. It's amazing to me how the people who complained when Phish wasn't touring are now complaining about setlists, missed notes, etc. I'm grateful to have them back: sober, excited to be playing, and making new jams to accompany their insane musical catalog.

tc18
tc18
6/18/2009 11:20 AM

wasn't at the show, but from the looks of the set list, seems like it would of been an amazing time...bad review

Delfino
Delfino
6/18/2009 11:39 AM

Thankfully some more people are being positive. I have looked around at other review boards, and everyone is just bitching!! I don't understand it. Do people expect time to stand still, and it remain '97 forever? The boys are older; we all are for that matter. They have been through a lot, and they have changed drastically. The fact that they are still playing old tunes is a treat enough. If you don't like 'Time Turns Elastic', and aren't willing to let it develop, then maybe it is time for you to move onto another band. This was "our" party, and "our" band for the last 20ish years. If you are not willing to take the good with the bad, (and I don't for a second think this was a bad show) then move on. Remember what these guys have been through. Try to imagine what it is like to go back on tour totally sober for the first time in your life. Then listen to the energy that they are playing with. Maybe the jams weren't there, but our firend Trey was dancing his ass off on stage the other night. That was worth the price of admission for me.

groovinjules
groovinjules
6/18/2009 01:15 PM

I agree with the author as well...it was a GOOD show in a GREAT venue. We came out under-whelmed, but still had a wonderful time. It was my first of the tour and was a bit dissapointed that they played 7 repeats from the Knoxville show. Not that I had heard them live (listend to the Knox show), but weak IMO for what could have been the best show of the tour. Oh well, guess I just have to wait for RR. And as one of the gals at the show, not sure why everyone keeps calling it a guy-fest...I can count at least 10 girls around me during the entire show. Maybe we all just flocked to each other's wonderful energy!! Thanks ladies for the great times :)

Lammie
Lammie
6/18/2009 01:23 PM

Here's a positive review of the show.

The review is very well written.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2009/06/2009_show_review_setlist_photos_phish_st_louis_missouri_fabulous_fox_theatre_june_16_reunion_trey_anastasio.php

kaiserbun
kaiserbun
6/18/2009 03:51 PM

i think everyone needs to realize they just don't sound as good as they used to. go to the shows and have fun if you want, but don't expect it to be like the 90s. i personally put a majority of the blame on trey. he still plays some great guitar at times, but sounds like complete shit for at least a portion of all the shows so far. all of the old school fans that came to love this band years ago loved them because they put on an incredible show every time they were on the stage. its just not like that anymore. oh well, i'm still glad they came back.

Delfino
Delfino
6/18/2009 04:12 PM

I have now made it through most of the SBD. It is not the best mix. Oh well. There are some severe clunkers on Trey's part in the first set. (This is me not happily lapping), Second set sounds much tighter. I will say that people should not 'review' a show without being there. I never heard any of the miscues at the time, and it was a blast being there. See you all Sunday night at Alpine. Funny side note: the ushers at the Fox told me that the staff discovered some phan had snuck into the venue days before, and hid out in a closet. All in an effort to see the show without a ticket.

Savitri
Savitri
6/18/2009 04:55 PM

"standard, but roaring" .... "smoking, yet standard" ....?

WTF? Ok so it was good, yet bad?

Was this written by an intern or something? Dear Jambase, Please Give me free tickets to all the phish shows and a free ride and I'll write WAY better reviews than this.

headofsounds
headofsounds
6/19/2009 10:48 AM

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Having seen Phish from 1994-present I found this show to be one of the most exciting to be at--mainly due to the venue and the size of the crowd. Musically, this show will never compare to a few nuggets I've been witness to: 12/29/94, NYE '94, '95, '97, Clifford Ball and the Great Went. But the energy of the crowd and the band was comparable. That's what made this show special... expectations will only lead to let downs. Of course I hoped for a huge bust out like a Harpua, where Trey would tell a story of Jimmy traveling through St Louis in search of a burlesque show and ends up at the Fox..but that didn't happen. Instead I was blown away by a dark and gritty Mike's Song, a spaced out Halley's, a funky Boogie On Reggae Woman, a rocking Kill Devil Falls and Ocelot and of course the three encores!

If the sounds are good..let the music take you away..don't be fooled by other's opinions

warmcarlbluntsnb…
warmcarlbluntsnb…
7/3/2009 09:49 AM

did the writer want fish to stip and throw his dress in the crowd? come on dude, get a life.......you have an english degree and have been to two shows (even if you saw 5,000 you still can't be a critic)? any phish show is a good show. I clicked on the title thinking i was going to read a show review, but instead i found someone who thinks they are a critic. no one should be judging this band. Like i tell everyone else......they could be sitting at home and so could the phans.......so please shut the fuck up if you have anything bad to say.

BTW. I only missed the alpine shows and here is my list with the best being first

1) Fox Theater

2) Deer Creek

Opps almost forgot about Asheville! Trey mentioned fishman's socks!!!

3) 2nd night of Jones Beach or Knoxville

4) Fenway - got the feeling that the boys are back

5) Bonnaroo was fun.

6) Camden

7) Great Woods - Fluffhead

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use