Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Desert Rocks Festival | 05.23-24 | Utah
JamBase
JamBase
6/8/2009 12:00 AM

Desert Rocks Festival | 05.23-24 | Utah
Neither lightning nor flood could dampen the spirits of fans and musicians at Desert Rocks...

PooDolla
PooDolla
6/8/2009 06:57 PM

Is it just me or is Billy Nershi starting to look like Santa Cluas?

jborrel1
jborrel1
6/8/2009 07:56 PM

yeah i assumed the first comment would be about that nershi picture, and you beat me to it...

andrewq
andrewq
6/8/2009 09:49 PM

Corby! Win!

andrew

BGA1
BGA1
6/9/2009 07:01 AM

Andrew it's I Alan from your neck of the woods. How the hell have you been. I hope to see ya over at Mountain Sage in Groveland for Hot Buttered Rum July 5th. Blue Turtle is playing a week or 2 after that. Peace

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
6/9/2009 09:34 AM

So...as far as The Mother Hips are concerned...where is a good place to start? Whats their best efforts?

phaslam
phaslam
6/9/2009 11:00 AM

Damn near lost my face in the river. Great Festival! Great People! Great Spirits Abound!

sschaffner
sschaffner
6/9/2009 01:01 PM

this place is unbelievable... superior vibes and wonderful people in a strangely surreal landscape, i felt like i was in a dream the entire time with great music playing in the background. ALO was the standout act for me... they really sounded amazing and really lifted everyone's spirits with their cool breezy bouncy jams and overall weirdness (i still don't understand how dan shreds so viciously with such an innocent looking guitar). shapeshifter punctuated the mood as zach asked everyone to shapeshift into some sort of desert creature, although he seemed to think we all looked like one giant jelly fish :)

BoboJeffie
BoboJeffie
6/9/2009 06:56 PM

"Normally, you might think that bluegrass music and rave culture would mix about as well as moonshine and seaweed smoothies. The notions that define each movement come from far different traditions - the buttoned-down home goodness of Southern folk music and the anything-goes, sweetly buffoonish liberty taken by the late night festival rave set seem utterly philosophically opposed, and generally are. But, Desert Rocks has this way of amalgamating all cultural streams and influences into one exotically cohesive, raging party. It's all music, so let's dance!"

Well written paragraph, but what rave culture? I dont see much electro artists on the bill. The diversity was happening at Bobolink the next weekend: Bass Camp with a full dub steppy electronic line up like KnowSleep, Illoom, Random Rab etc... and then some, with HBR, Izabella, Big Light, Nathan, EOTO, ALO, Montana Slim, Garaj etc...on 2 other stages. Now thats an adventurous mix for an under 1000 person festival!!!

NOt to knock Desert Rocks, I hear its a great vibe. This article seemed to not sweat the issues and just stick to the positive vibes, which is probably a nice thing to do for the Grass Roots festys.

gettintwisty
gettintwisty
6/10/2009 08:03 AM

why would this get coverage and not Joshua Tree Music Festival...? just curious.

jazbo420
jazbo420
6/11/2009 06:35 PM

What about the the band that opened for the Mother Hips? Stonefed. Those guys fucking killed it. During one of there songs the guitar players stoped for a drum bass duel. And one of the guitar players chugged almost a half a bottle of JD then tore into a solo!!! They were rippin, very high energy. These guys kill it !!!!! I think they were in Guitarles in Charge as well.

dgans
dgans
6/12/2009 11:16 PM

Damn, I coulda sworn I was there, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgans/3558537135/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reet/3559544731/

andrewq
andrewq
6/13/2009 09:21 AM

For some reason Corby can't post in to respond to comments. He asked me to post the following on his behalf:

"Mother Hips - Start with Kiss the Crystal Flake and work backwards to Back to the Grotto. They are a band that many say you have to hear live to really understand, so take advantage of the generous amounts of live recordings on www.the-grotto.com. Seek out the Ultimate Setlist Show (2008) and cruise the Grotto webhole and also motherhips.com.

As for raves - I was once told that you would know a rave from a ordinary, mill-run freakout when the flamethrowers came out. Well, this was a rave...You had to be there, I reckon...

And finally, why Desert Rocks and not Joshua Trees? Well, that is an interesting question that Jambase might have to answer. I can speak for myself and say that I self-funded this trip, and worked on this story for two days, so with all due respect, this got covered because I damn well felt like it."

jamesdinct
jamesdinct
6/14/2009 07:17 AM

Great article/review Andrew!!! This was possibly the most interesting fest review I have read on jambase. A mix of good writing and fascinating subject matter for sure. I wish I could have been there to experience it!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use