Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

10 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Woodstock Box Set: Unreleased from Dead, Who...
JamBase
JamBase
6/7/2009 12:00 AM

Woodstock Box Set: Unreleased from Dead, Who...

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
6/8/2009 12:21 PM

Whoa

desert_drifter
desert_drifter
6/8/2009 12:24 PM

the dead's woodstock performance! oh wait, only darkstar made it..... not even 1 other song?

kirkbrew
kirkbrew
6/8/2009 12:27 PM

PEte Townsend kicking Abbey Hoffman off stage is hilarious.

I've listened to The Dead's performance. it is one of their worst. The only good part about it is Phil and Wavy Gravy rambling in between songs. That should be on there. Funny as hell since they are tripping balls.

brooklynite84
brooklynite84
6/8/2009 01:19 PM

In Rolling Stone or Spin magazine there is a nice review and look into what the total package will consist of. It's extremely amazing and has a lot more to it than even a lot of major Feature Film releases. I've been looking forward to this for years, since I love the last release, even though it's only one disc, I can't wait to check this out. Just like Monterey's Critereon Collection release, this is more than just the original film. Also I'm glad that the Dead contributed something, cause unlike the Monterey which is missing Dead material, at least we have something. Anybody I meet that says they attended, I always bring up the fact that the Dead thinks that it was their worst show and of course according to Phil's book, it seemed like everything that could've gone wrong, went wrong, but by the recordings found on the Archives, it's really not that bad of a show and Dark Star is pretty sweet. I saw Richie Havens this past Valentines Day play an intimate set and is always my favorite with the Film, how amazing to open up Woodstock with this great and powerful soulful artist. I also am looking forward to hear from Martin Scorsese and his experiences with filming the festival. I wonder which camera is his? I can't wait and I'm willing to shelve out any amount of money for this box set and to have all the music and film together is going to be amazing!

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
6/8/2009 04:21 PM

dont take the brown acid

fiveyrold
fiveyrold
6/8/2009 05:05 PM

I'm sure its a fun watch- but what's up with "previously unreleased footage"still 40 years later??": Geesh, cash cow- Milk it!

Oh yea, Rock on!!

HighSierraUncle
HighSierraUncle
6/8/2009 05:21 PM

I am glad to see they are using the recording of "Coming into Los Angeles" that is actually from Woodstock. It was obvious that the version on the soundtrack album is from somewhere else. I guess they're keeping the "Sea of Madness" recording from the Fillmore East, though.

I'm totally psyched to get a copy of this album, as well as the DVD. I just wish they would release the original theatrical version on DVD, not the "director's cut!" (and I feel very strongly about this; it is my all-time favorite movie) The forty minutes they added in 1994 definitely dragged the movie down. They originally left Janis out for a reason. Actually, at least two reasons: bad lighting, subpar performance. Janis, the Airplane, Canned Heat and the extra Jimi stuff could be on the bonus disc. And as long as I'm commenting on this stuff, I hope they don't constantly switch aspect ratios mid-song like the previous DVD does.

Martin Scorsese was an on-site director, although supposedly the cameramen couldn't hear him in the headsets. He was heavily involved in the initial editing, then he bailed on the production for Hollywood. He edited the Sha Na Na clip, as well as part of Santana. "Soul Sacrifice" is my favorite part of the movie, although that one closeup of Carlos's fingers that is out of sync has always bothered me. He also worked dilligently trying to sync up the Grateful Dead footage because he really liked them and wanted them to be in the final cut, but Brian DePalma stopped by and pointed out it was no use because the footage was way too dark to be included. (information from an interview with editor Thelma Schoonmaker in Dale Bell's book about the movie)

fiftyhz
fiftyhz
6/8/2009 05:26 PM

It's about time!!! Hey Drifter, I hear ya' about only one dead track but I bet it's a 20 minute Dark Star............

gregboyer
gregboyer
6/10/2009 09:18 PM

Sha Na Na seems completely out of place. Get A Job & At The Hop-WTF? This does appear to have some good moments though, especially the last 4 discs.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use