Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

20 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Phish | 06.02.09 | Jones Beach
JamBase
JamBase
6/3/2009 12:00 AM

Phish | 06.02.09 | Jones Beach
Phish sets sail for three shows back at Long Island's Jones Beach with an old-school...

MarkBC
MarkBC
6/3/2009 12:09 PM

FIRST OFF! The rainbow is on tour - it made an appearance right before the show started. Where was this reviewer, inside? It POURED rain hours before the show and finally cleared up before the boys took the stage. As we were walking in there was the rainbow, right over head- I hoped that it was a good sign, I had NO IDEA. This show was the real deal. So many smiles from the band last night, Trey was dancing during several songs and can anyone believe that set list? During the second set my friends and I kept looking at each other, what can they possibly play next - anything was possible. Harry Hood was the best song of the night, the spacey soundscape Page created was unbelievable, especially with the lights backup. This is a new Phish - new songs (both of which were great, especially Kill Devil Falls which I definitely see getting played often) and new takes on old songs - the best example being Harry Hood. Phish dropped bombs last night, this show more than Hampton and Fenway showed to me that Phish is back and better than ever. They will only get better as tour goes on! GO SEE PHISH!

phunkyjedi08
phunkyjedi08
6/3/2009 12:11 PM

with Mike in that outfit, you've gotta marvel that they didn't cover The Who, right? that's just what I'm vibing...

sweet review - thank you!! your descriptions and observations are much appreciated (i.e. old-school set-list-age-ness, even) :-)

danpfunk
danpfunk
6/3/2009 12:57 PM

Great review. Please keep on giving us the musical take along with the scene/vibe. Thanks!

malnor
malnor
6/3/2009 01:39 PM

Judging off the SBD recording for both JB 1 and Fenway, Jones beach really blows Fenway out of the water. The boys sound great!

jweir420
jweir420
6/3/2009 04:52 PM

Do your research. "If I Could" was played in Vegas 04.

SuperSpacePhunk
SuperSpacePhunk
6/3/2009 05:03 PM

Hi JWEIR420,

This is Brian Bavosa, author of the article. I appreciate you reading, but "If I Could," was not played by PHISH since 6.28.00 at PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ (a show I attended), until last night.

In Vegas '04 (shows I also attended), the band played "Lifeboy," but NOT "If I Could."

Again, thanks for reading and supporting JamBase. I hope you enjoy the summer tour. -BB

04/15/04 Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV

Set I: Buried Alive> AC/DC Bag, Limb By Limb, The Moma Dance, Old Home Place, Roggae, Water in the Sky, All of These Dreams, Stash> Timber (Jerry the Mule)

Set II: 46 Days, Drowned> Also Sprach Zarathustra> Down With Disease> Free, Scent of a Mule> Girls Girls Girls1> Scent of a Mule, Secret Smile, Crowd Control, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Sneaking Sally Through the Alley2

1 Jay-Z Cover; With Jen Hartswick; First time played

2 With Vocal Jam: Lime in the Coconut, references to Fishman's 'Song Making Suit'.

04/16/04 Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV

Set I: Seven Below, Rock and Roll, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Back On The Train> Possum, Strange Design, Gumbo, Brian and Robert, Taste

Set II: Gotta Jibboo, Twist, Camel Walk, Wilson1, HYHU> Love You> HYHU2, Waves> Lifeboy, The Horse> Silent in the Morning, Loving Cup

Encore: Harry Hood

1 with Little Drummer Boy tease

2 Fishman comes out on the stage with the "magical suit" that has been rumored and that Trey referred to on the previous evening in the "Sally" vocal jam

04/17/04 Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV

Set I: Soul Shakedown Party, Halley's Comet> Tweezer, Ginseng Sullivan, Horn, Sample in a Jar, Piper> Frankenstein> David Bowie

Set II: Meatstick1, Pebbles and Marbles2> Prince Caspian> Simple, Friday, Ghost, You Enjoy Myself3> Tweezer Reprise4

Encore: Wolfman's Brother5, The Squirming Coil

1 Inspired by Mike-side audience singing during setbreak/lights out

2 With Manteca Teases

3 With Meatsick teases, Meatstick audience sing-along, Trey dance solos

4 'Time for the Meatstick', 'Won't You Step Into The Meatstick?'

5 First ever Wolfman's Encore; Multiple teases: Sneakin' Sally, Simple, Possum

michaeljackson
michaeljackson
6/3/2009 05:34 PM

^ what's the term? Oh yea, PWNED

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
6/3/2009 05:38 PM

Damn! Take THAT jweir

mackadocious
mackadocious
6/3/2009 06:23 PM

awesome review, super stoked for 6/9. Setlist looked awesome. "If I Could" is a great tune.

drow229
drow229
6/3/2009 06:49 PM

pwned is right.. jweir was not expectin that..

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
6/3/2009 07:54 PM

The review is great, all the shows so far have sounded great. I can't wait for asheville, knoxville, and roo, blah blah blah. but - those have got to be the sickest lights I have ever seen.

johnnygoff
johnnygoff
6/3/2009 09:09 PM

bb,

thanks for your ongoing reviews of these shows. would love to see/read more lot/phan observations.

also, I completely agree Bavosa. I've been to SPAC>Camden>Coventry>Hampton>Phenway> and JB1 was the best I've heard them sound live since Saratoga 2004.

now give me a 4-6 song set with 1 or 2 25+ min spaced out jam and I'll be happier than a No2 in Philly.

MimiLuv
MimiLuv
6/3/2009 10:31 PM

the reviewer forgot to mention phish had to start the second set late...they couldnt find gordo again...

pjsagan
pjsagan
6/4/2009 08:17 AM

i WISH I WASNT IN ARIZONA. BUT WAS ANY SET BETTER THEN ANY SET IN HAMPTON? beCause I DONT KNOW HAT COULD TOP THAT. probably NO pHISH AND THE DEAD? WINTER TOUR OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEA

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use