Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

13 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Ben Harper and Relentless7 | 05.27 | S.F.
JamBase
JamBase
6/2/2009 12:00 AM

Ben Harper and Relentless7 | 05.27 | S.F.
Something really magical is happening to Ben Harper, as evident by his performance...

funkymtn
funkymtn
6/2/2009 08:10 PM

Did we go to the same show?

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
6/2/2009 08:40 PM

couple things:

1. this sounds more like a promo article than a show review....

2. puke....

3. its funny how this show was sold out on a wed. but moe could not even sell out a saturday and sunday was less than half full. Of those half, lots and lots of peeps traveled from the east coast just to see moe for the weekend.

Amazing how lost west coasters are to the jamband scene... and this comes from a west coaster...

now I know why this year we get only a handful of dead shows... 3 phish shows... and (luckily enough) about 5 moe shows, and 0 string cheese shows. heck even tea leaf green stays away as much as possible and their from SF .

guess that's what we deserve....

CrazyleggedDuff
CrazyleggedDuff
6/3/2009 07:40 AM

"Amazing how lost west coasters are to the jamband scene"

Are they lost because they dont want to see generic jams moe. brings every night? Maybe they have moved on. good for them, there is a plethora of original music in the world right now.

I dont live on the west coast, but if I did I would be able to see some of the greatest "jams" on June 9th. The Mars Volta is playing the Majestic Ventura Theater in Ventura, CA. It is the only US date that isn't part of a festival. You want to see some jams? they will spin your facial.

Once we start abandoning the steriotypical "scenes" then the true art oozes out.

Ilikephish531
Ilikephish531
6/3/2009 07:59 AM

seriously? The Mars Volta? just shut up before you make yourself look even less credible.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
6/3/2009 08:29 AM

Well.. i will continue with my points:

1. moe... generic jams every night... lol... you're tripping. More like a lift off of epic proportions. Ever been on tour and seen them every night to have some credibility behind you're statement? didn't think so...

2. mars volta is like meth. tried once and will never go back down that nasty road....

3. west coast gets shafted on good shows over and over again. please take your mars volta and give some jamband love ...

gotti3
gotti3
6/3/2009 08:56 AM

I have to agree after living on the east coast and coming to La the west coast scene is just weak. If anyone can suggest good clubs or bars for blues or jambands for unsigned or up and coming in the la area let me know. have found a few but always open to suggestions

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
6/3/2009 09:38 AM

no LA sux...lol

i mean theres a few. but hey are few and far between. 'the mint', the roxy (meh)... tis about all i know of...

You should make it up to santa cruz... we be rockin here. lots of good little clubs. ever make it let me know... i show you around ... party like rockstars...

Dobbers
Dobbers
6/3/2009 10:04 AM

Conjugal Burning - agreed. good music is good music, mars volta rocks the shit. Moe is a joke. I almost shot myself after three days of moe at my 5th camp... never again

CrazyleggedDuff
CrazyleggedDuff
6/3/2009 10:11 AM

i am talking about JAM's, not this sub-group categorization that so many 'heads' conform to. moe jams, but with boundaries. Phish version 4.o has similar boundaries. They know what their audience wants and caters to them with specific areas set aside for "jams." This is not pure improve, it is orchestrated. There are bands like Volta, Tortoise, JfJo, MMW, Jaga Jazzist, etc who have no such boundaries. They let the art speak for itself and allow such greatness to take them on un-charted, often dark and eerie waters. Zappa did it, Miles did it, Jerry did it, Jimi did it, and now Omar and crew are taking the torch and dosing it the fuck out.

From a midwest perspective, we constantly get bombarded with moe. Umphreys, Bisco, TLG, and tribe shows for they know the masses will be there with their glow sticks ready to eat up every pre-concieved alteration of their songs. I am jealous of the west coast shows, but then again my biased view represents the age old saying; the grass is always greener on the other side, or coast for that matter.

Sorry for the rant, it is all a matter of individual perceptions and opinions man.

"Music is the Best"

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
6/3/2009 10:16 AM

Was the camp experience this last year? I agree moe is getting a little rundown.. but still creme of the crop when they want to be.

glad you'll found your little fix with mars volta though. different strokes for differnt folks.

Yeah i have a hard time seeing bands with 10000 people like summer camp. But this west coast run had about 200 - 400 people at each show. Totally different experience. fucking ridiculous ...

damoncory
damoncory
6/3/2009 10:55 AM

Looking forward to seeing these guys at a little festival called 80-35 in Des Moines over the 4th of July weekend. With Public Enemy, New Monsoon, Man Man, G. Love and Special Sauce, Broken Social Scene, Brother Ali, Matisyahu, Stephen Malkmus Jicks, House of Large Sizes, ect. and a bunch of other local bands. Had a blast last year. Should be interesting.

canoftunapudding
canoftunapudding
6/3/2009 11:12 AM

I'll make a comment on Ben Harper's new group. I saw them at the Xmas Jam this past year and I though it was one of the worst sets of the weekend. I respect Ben Harper and maybe that's why I hated it so much but this group is hopefully a short-term side project for Ben and that he will move on to a musical style that better complements his abilities.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use