Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

21 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Animal Collective | 05.19.09 | Milwaukee
JamBase
JamBase
5/22/2009 12:00 AM

Animal Collective | 05.19.09 | Milwaukee
A brilliant performance by the ever-intriguing Animal Collective is marred by horrible sound...

JonSoda
JonSoda
5/22/2009 08:21 AM

JamBase covering a show in Milwaukee??? where the h is Milwaukee???!!??

Zoso2517
Zoso2517
5/22/2009 10:35 AM

So...Not often you get a review that berates a show like this. Don't really listen to these guys, but I'm not sure about this whole sound issue. Panic has raged the Riverside with some epic runs in Milwookie each of the last two years and the sounds has been awesome? So the whole geezer tunes etc the review talked about shows he's not really with the scene in the city. Also...maybe it's just that the band doesn't sound that good when they're not produced? also? JonSoda? really? Milwaukee always gets some great scene love and the Brewers are whoopin up right now!

JonSoda
JonSoda
5/22/2009 11:46 AM

Oh yeah those Brewers guys! Milwaukee is where its at! Seen couple shows at the Riverside - 0 problems with the sound. Article has quite a bit of contradiction. I think I would qualify bad sound as a 'bad' show. Seems as if he's struggling or in denial that they had a poor outing.

Brewers on the other hand, have had quite few quality outings thus far!

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
5/22/2009 04:00 PM

Wasn't the venues fault. These guys just blow!

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
5/22/2009 09:32 PM

i gather they r more of a studio band

GuitaristSB
GuitaristSB
5/22/2009 10:09 PM

honestly...if the sound was really as terrible as you say it was, a paragraph would suffice. What I lost in this was details of the performance, what was the stage setup? how were the lights? how was the crowd reacting? Stop complaining and realize that you are fortunate to see AC in a venue like this regardless.

bruff76
bruff76
5/22/2009 11:39 PM

GuitaristSB, that was very, very well said. I commend you on that post.

Sonic5
Sonic5
5/23/2009 08:47 AM

i saw them in ny last week and they rocked my face off. the sound was great there maybe just an off night or bad room

jamboe
jamboe
5/23/2009 09:36 AM

Maybe it wasn't them. Maybe it was their sound guy.

I've had shows that I was so excited to see, only to have the night ruined by a horrible sound. Ends up being a waste of time and money, and I think that's what the author was trying to get across in the review.

Sound is the MOST important aspect of a band. If it's not right, they sound like they suck. Who cares about the lights, the crowd, or the stage when what you're hearing sounds like muffled BS (or worse, screeching loudness)

rainydaywomen420
rainydaywomen420
5/23/2009 10:58 AM

caught the show in toronto and it was utterly mesmerizing. played for over two hours, fireworks>leafhouse>brothersport closer enduring well over a half hour in length left me breathless. As far as them being more of a studio band then a live show, well that couldnt be more backwards. avey and pandas vocals were impeccable, evrything just flowed the entire show. i really think their soundboards should be archived. best show ive seen this year, cannot wait for bonnaroo although its absurd AC got an afternoon set

shoffer
shoffer
5/23/2009 12:15 PM

show in Montreal had similar issues, they were even apologizing to the crowed for all the feedback so its probably not how they wanted it to sound

bruff76
bruff76
5/23/2009 09:04 PM

jambo, I do agree that the sound IS the most important aspect of a band. However, when reviewing a show for all of us little readers of this website, we need ALL aspects of the show covered. Hence, covering/reviewing a show. Not just the sound sucking. This article was onesided AND kinda selfish in opinion.

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
5/23/2009 10:50 PM

Just like they say a director makes or breaks a movie. sound guy makes or breaks a set. the right guy can make a good band sound great and a bad band sounded amazing

boom_shanker44
boom_shanker44
5/24/2009 05:47 PM

milwookie lol thats so true

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use