Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

21 Total Messages • Page 2 of 2 • « Previous 1 2 
Ben Harper and Relentless7: Fly One Time
janeneybean
janeneybean
5/19/2009 10:17 AM

I can't stand this guy and his ego. Doesn't he know how demeaning he is to his fans? Don't talk during my slow songs. Listen to me. I am not a human jukebox. I wasn't going to see him at bonnaroo but now I want to go, just to heckle his lame ass.

newtongimmick
newtongimmick
5/20/2009 09:36 AM

i'm not quite sure how big of a crowd harper is going to see at roo considering he is up against MOE and NIN...

TravelinLite72
TravelinLite72
5/27/2009 05:50 PM

he has a beuaitful voice. but this album is terrible. plain and simple. Its a mediocre attempt at bar/rock by a singer song writer. absolutely terrible and generic.

santa1
santa1
5/31/2009 06:25 PM

Damn family, I was excited to hear this new shit till I read ya'alls posts. Last time I saw Ben Harper was with Innocent Criminals in 06 in San Bernadeno or some such. Two nights, same set both nights, wasn't impressed. I'm psyched to hear his enthusiasm about this new band, it sounds like he's finally discovering the true energy of music. I'll have to check out the new disc, hopefully it doesn't live up to the hate. On the truth though, we've all loved Ben Harper and I'm sure we've all at least belted out "If you don't like my fire then don't come around" with a doobie in hand at least once.

Hollowdweller
Hollowdweller
6/8/2009 12:43 PM

It's interesting the attitude toward requests and the fans.

Having seen a lot of bluegrass music over time it's always how impressive it is that a large % age of the bluegrass performers, especially the older ones would always take requests from the audience and also come out at break and after the show and not leave till the last hand was shook or the last autograph was signed.

I think it is because a lot of the older bluegrass performers came from the country where the work is logging, or farming or other hard labor and they never forgot that their fans were the ones that made them able to have a relative easy job that didn't kill them with black lung or a bad back by the time they were 50.

A lot of the younger performers like Harper pretty much went straight into the music biz, and really achieved popularity pretty fast so they don't have as much thankfulness to the fans who pay the bills.

santa1
santa1
6/25/2009 12:51 PM

Hollowdweller; Maybe but there is something to be said for an artist staying true to their vision and the music they want to make. It is kinda shitty for Harper to make such a statement in such a way but I can understand why he might feel that way. If he's trying to go in a new direction (which I think we all agree he needs to) then his older stuff is becksliding or regressing instead of progressing. It is nice to feel like musicians appreciate their fans, but I would rather see this then pandering.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use