Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

21 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Ben Harper and Relentless7: Fly One Time
JamBase
JamBase
5/12/2009 12:00 AM

Ben Harper and Relentless7: Fly One Time
Ben Harper gets in depth with JamBase about leaving The Innocent Criminals, forming the Relentless7, and what it's like to be intimidated while "barreling down the road" onstage...

johnnygoff
johnnygoff
5/12/2009 01:15 PM

great read! Never was a huge Harper fan and it makes me happy to see him and his new posse NOT busting out 'burn one down' and some of his other cliche stuff. Just caught his interview / song(s) on Carson Daley and was pretty impressed. Harper and the R7 bring some heat. Its obvious they have found some chemistry. I, for one, will be seeing Harper at Bonnaroo. cheers on an artist that has constantly evolved, including my preconceived notions of his work.

jimkeyes
jimkeyes
5/12/2009 01:26 PM

Go check them out if you get a chance!!! I saw them at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta on May 2 and they blew the roof off of the place. I am not kidding, if you were not a Ben Harper fan this band may change your mind. You will not be sorry for spending the 25 bucks or whatever it cost. Chances are the show is already sold out in your town anyway, so unless you want to pay high dollar (tix were going for 100+ in Atlanta out front), or get a miracle, you might have to wait until the next tour when they start playing for a couple thousand people a night instead of 500.

jazzfester
jazzfester
5/12/2009 02:19 PM

I saw these guys at the Jazz Fest. Great show.

funkymtn
funkymtn
5/12/2009 03:00 PM

Saw 'em in San Francisco and thought they blew, hard! Could care less about Steal My Kisses, but it just didn't work for me, YMMV.

Great to read he told it like it is in NYC-frat boys can and always will kiss my backside!!!!!!

jerzeykid
jerzeykid
5/12/2009 04:21 PM

I am glad he is retiring some of these tired old songs- but he does not have to be a jerk about it. For him to come out and say what he said to the NY crowd is arrogant, which is something that I always took him not to be. One thing I can not stand is when artists that I am paying to go see curse at the audience

DaKracken
DaKracken
5/12/2009 11:02 PM

I have been a Ben Harper fan for years, particually the heavier lap steel stuff, so I was real excited to see him come around full circle to the sound. The flash ads proclaiming R7 sound as "stones swagger & beatlesque melodies is stupid and not even accurate. R7 sounds like older Ben Harper ie, ground on down, faded, excuse me mister etc..it is just a good rock and roll album-not incredible but a good excuse to tour and then blow some minds. Ben Harper built a solid career with the innocent criminals and could have toured/recorded with them forever with continued financial success so for him to drop that to pursue a new band and not just a project album speaks volumes about his integrity as an artist. He probably was being pissy to dismiss fans in NY who wanted to hear hits from his old days but again how easy would it be for him to go through the motions and rehash old material with a new band-but hearing request for steal my kisses is probably as annoying to him as it is for me to hear some unoriginal moron call out for "freebird" and think they are being funny, incidently Skynard back in da day were phenominal but now are just a derivative money making joke of a band. Welcome back Ben-I missed your big balls out rock sound. I bought R7 last Tuesday and have listened to it everyday since (among many other disc) and can't wait to see them live or better yet so what kind of material they come up with in the future.

mccordo
mccordo
5/13/2009 07:29 AM

I've listened to Ben Harper over the years when friends would play his music, but never felt compelled to shell out money to go to a show. However, when my fiancee and I caught the R7 set at JazzFest we were both blown away. I'll definitely be buying tickets when they come around again!

dinophoto
dinophoto
5/13/2009 10:54 AM

Tim Donnelly is THE man!

newtongimmick
newtongimmick
5/13/2009 02:18 PM

i saw ben harper and R7 in ohio when the barack the vote tour was going on. he brought the heat. i was very surprised. harper and the innocent criminals seemed to be more happy and peaceful. i think he needed to get some crap off his chest b/c a lot of his tunes with R7 get nice and heavy...and you know what? i like harper when he's pissed off and not happy. however i will be kicking it with NIN and the last hour of MOE at Roo.

~cheers

cgreen2599
cgreen2599
5/13/2009 06:21 PM

This album is great. Late night set at the roo is gonna be ridiculous!

HeGotSoul
HeGotSoul
5/15/2009 06:51 PM

Glad to see Ben has finally stopped lying to himself and his fans about being 'down-to-earth' and anything but a selfish, pompous, prick. Of course, starting a clothing line (Propr) that sells jeans for $300 made him into the 'Mr. Mr.' that he once so passionately spoke against. But even before that Ben's DIVA syndrome had become more and more obvious. Now when I see Ben playing at some festival with his fist thrown in the air, all I'm gonna do is throw him the FINGER!! Peace, you hypocritical FUCK!!

irtimed
irtimed
5/15/2009 09:55 PM

YEA HEGOTSOUL! How dare he put enough soul into his music that he has his fist in the air! that sure means he's hypocritical!

BigErn
BigErn
5/17/2009 09:39 AM

I cant help it but this guy always reminds of the first bonnaroo where he stopped during his performance to criticize the tapers for stealing music. He obviously did not understand the difference between a taper and people who illegally download. Anyway, he was totally condescending to the crowd and i cant stand that.

barsot
barsot
5/19/2009 09:54 AM

having seen b harper a number of times over the past 10yrs plus, i must say the last 2 times were by far the best! i look forward to catching the new band at the roo, yet im gonna lay off the new cd untill then. i like the idea of going into the show "blind". enjoi

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use