Sat Eye Candy: Billy Joel
JamBase
JamBase
5/9/2009 12:00 AM

Sat Eye Candy: Billy Joel

meanmrmonkey
meanmrmonkey
5/9/2009 02:34 AM

Thanks for giving Billy Joel some credit. If you take some time to delve into his career you will find some amazing work. I am especially loving the fact that the first song you posted was Vienna. On an album loaded with hits (The Stranger), Vienna is the hidden gem. I think it is the best song on the album. Some of his stuff hasn't aged well, but he has written some amazing songs along the way. Most of the songs that I like aren't the popular ones. The deep tracks are where the quality lies.

wma
wma
5/9/2009 03:10 PM

I agree. Most of his best songs are the ones that weren't popular. "Allentown". What a song appropiate for the times! The steel industry is gonna hurt even more with car companies ongoing problems. As a musician, I can sure apprecite his style. His recent stuff is not all that impressive but you've got to admit he could write a catchy tune with nice music and catchy lyrics that even Mozart would be envious of!

puseykev
puseykev
5/9/2009 03:37 PM

My very first concert was Billy Joel...when I was 15...in the Oneonta, N.Y. H.S. gym. The N.Y. Yankees had just won the pennant race...and he was very excited...to say the least! He came back 4 times for encores! Incredible.

puseykev
puseykev
5/9/2009 03:38 PM

That was in 1975, btw.

Joshl92482
Joshl92482
5/9/2009 04:13 PM

My first or 2nd concert was billy joel + elton John... my dad took me... they played pinball wizard together..... nuff said. Wait... who doesn't like Billy Joel??

rubbersledhead
rubbersledhead
5/9/2009 09:24 PM

If you're only familiar with his radio stuff, check out 52nd Street. Zanzibar is a great mix of jazz and rock, 70's style. Stiletto is another lesser known song that anyone who is looking to get more into Billy Joel will enjoy. I think of Billy Joel along the same lines of some of the other great bands of the 70's like Steely Dan, breaking some serious ground by mixing pop, rock, and jazz to come up with something unique.

futhepharmer
futhepharmer
5/10/2009 08:31 AM

NEWSFLASH!

there are folks who don't like Billy Joel, myself included.

But I love Elton John...go figure.

sueshi9
sueshi9
5/10/2009 10:26 AM

Face it, the guy's an entertainer and a damn good songwriter. Props to Billy.

boknows
boknows
5/10/2009 10:30 AM

What, no Uptown Girl? Billy Joel is severely mediocre with his better work coming early in his career. He's taken that last 3 decades off. Also, pull of the Sunrise Highway if you see him coming the other way. He's a menace on the roads.

lovemusical
lovemusical
5/10/2009 10:44 AM

Celine Dion sells a lot of tickets too. Billy Joel is a talented pop musician. That's about it.

futhepharmer
futhepharmer
5/11/2009 09:42 AM

Now HERE is a Billy Joel event I would be willing to pay decent money to attend...

THE BILLY JOEL DESTRUCTION DERBY!

pave the entire floor of the arena, then set up Prop wood buildings and Prop wooden replicas of pedestrians all around painted streets.

Then get Billy good and fucked up drunk (not hard to do, I hear) and give him the keys to one of his many cars and let him loose on the arena floor.

Much fun and destruction ensues for everyone!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use