Matisyahu: Dub Trio Backing Band Tour with Umph & Claypool
JamBase
JamBase
5/5/2009 12:00 AM

Matisyahu: Dub Trio Backing Band Tour with Umph & Claypool

biscosector
biscosector
5/5/2009 04:01 PM

Has anyone seen Matisyahu? I always hear mixed emotions about his shows...

gettintwisty
gettintwisty
5/5/2009 04:14 PM

just saw him this past weekend in SD...all and all good show but Bassnectar who was on just before blew him outta the water...

biscosector
biscosector
5/5/2009 04:27 PM

yeah, I saw Bassnectar last year at Rothbury....sick, just sick

jborrel1
jborrel1
5/5/2009 05:44 PM

matis is the man... he rocked out with dub trio last time i saw him. this could be some fire and a great step in his evolution...

brooklynite84
brooklynite84
5/5/2009 07:03 PM

biscosector - I saw him a little over a week ago for the first time at a festival in AZ. He played after Railroad Earth (Amazing) and before The Flaming Lips (Legendary)...his show was about as entertaining as a Coldplay concert. His band is awesome, but Matis just dances and spins around on stage. His singing is annoying and his lyrics are so-so (So he dances and sings like Chris Martin from Coldplay). At one point, he didn't sing or do anything for at least 10min and just stood by the speakers. I like Matis when he first hit it big back a few years ago, I'm glad I never saw just him live, cause the experience wouldn't have been worth it.

Jahvision
Jahvision
5/5/2009 07:52 PM

Liking the Dub lately...the more umprey's experiments with Dub and with Matis it might lead some new Mantis songs

CrazyleggedDuff
CrazyleggedDuff
5/6/2009 05:56 AM

I saw Matis a few times years ago, and the dude is talented. I used to spew criticism's the second and third time seeing him for I heard the same shows, and all my family was telling me how he was a former phishhead and all. I seperated myself from the hype and the repetition from his live shows, and I digress...

I am intrigued by this new incarnation because DUB TRIO IS THE FIRE!!! Granted vocals are not necessary for the climactic lands they venture to while jamming, the pairing will not be missed for myself (Rothballs collab with Colonel Lester???)

Anyone hear Dub Star's version of Lonely Hearts? Matisyahu's track is one of the highlights

scottsegal18
scottsegal18
5/6/2009 06:08 AM

I think Matisyahu's stuff is just okay. He's got a few tunes that I dig but most of it is just meh. At first I thought most of the buzz about him was because of his Chassidism, but he's been around for long enough at this point that I can't simply attribute his success to the novely factor, so there must be something there that people connect to.

I am, however, shocked that he's co-headlining with either Claypool or UM as they are both far superior musically aw well as in terms of fan base in my opinion. People seem to be fired up about Dub Trio though, so maybe that will push him to write better songs to compliment their sound.

Well, enjoy the shows!

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
5/6/2009 06:37 AM

this is awesome news because now I don't have to worry about him coming out with the Biscuits for a while.

CrazyleggedDuff
CrazyleggedDuff
5/6/2009 06:38 AM

Dub Trio shred Discuits on the daily

dankb23
dankb23
5/6/2009 06:59 AM

so i heard that for the claypool shows that matis is the headliner, i dont know about yall but if i just saw claypool rock the stage, anything going on after him would just be a dissappointment and i would prob leave after a few songs. Les is a good man for helping out some of the smaller acts like he did with the oddity fair shows tho.. claypool for presidant :D

gmoo
gmoo
5/6/2009 07:34 AM

Here's an idea. Umphrey's and Claypool tour together while Matisyahu stays away.

ZigZach420
ZigZach420
5/7/2009 08:30 AM

Umph and Matis, come to SPAC!

santa1
santa1
5/10/2009 07:29 AM

I'm really excited about this solely because I want to see the impact it has on umphreys music. I've been seeing them for about ten years now, from small ass bars in indianapolis to 10K and such festies and have only really begun to get excited about their music after they toured with tribe. I think Umphreys will pick up some of the energy and sound from Matisyahu and make it their own.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use