Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

13 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Academy of Music Opens In OK Lips, Allen & More to Teach
JamBase
JamBase
5/4/2009 09:30 PM

Academy of Music Opens In OK Lips, Allen & More to Teach
The Flaming Lips, Lily Allen and more to teach Master Classes at new music school in Oklahoma...

rainydaywomen420
rainydaywomen420
5/5/2009 02:20 AM

the day has grown old, life its getting colder, drugs become bolder, happy lif t, cold shoulder

mesaxi
mesaxi
5/5/2009 05:40 AM

So some people have have very little (at best) legitimate backround in musical theory will be teaching? What are the Lips going to teach, how not to trip on the way down the ramp of your spaceship? And how about Lily Allen, how to keep your makeup from smudging while you sing three notes?

jerzeykid
jerzeykid
5/5/2009 07:00 AM

Why has jambase fallen in love with the Flaming Lips? They are basically a novelty act, no?

Oh- and change back to the new comment system- this is terrable

gmoo
gmoo
5/5/2009 07:57 AM

The difference between success and failure in the music biz has little to do with music theory. This sounds like an great opportunity for people who get into music for the money and fame.

RichardHaley
RichardHaley
5/5/2009 09:15 AM

No kidding, the music business has NOTHING to do w/ music theory. This sounds pretty cool, there are a ton of different jobs that make up The Biz, it sounds like this will help folks get invovled... pretty damn cool. and i hear the school in the UK is awesome.

mooneystar
mooneystar
5/5/2009 10:14 AM

"Why has jambase fallen in love with the Flaming Lips? They are basically a novelty act, no?"

Hahahaha!! that's joke, right? do you have *any* knowledge of music at all? seriously. Have you listened to the Lips through the years?

mesaxi
mesaxi
5/5/2009 12:29 PM

no mooney, I agree with jer-Z, they're a total novelty act. If you can't play a show without spaceships and balloons and confetti and big plastic balls then you probably shouldn't be playing the show.

matthau
matthau
5/5/2009 02:00 PM

Well mesaxi....that's why a Lips show transcends what is traditionally deemed a "concert". Ya see, the Lips create a carnavelesque multimedia atmosphere onstage that helps to blur the line between audience and performer. Thus, the music is only part of the equation. I don't think you can judge this band soley on the music they create. Nobody has ever done what they do.

matthau
matthau
5/5/2009 02:00 PM

Well mesaxi....that's why a Lips show transcends what is traditionally deemed a "concert". Ya see, the Lips create a carnavelesque multimedia atmosphere onstage that helps to blur the line between audience and performer. Thus, the music is only part of the equation. I don't think you can judge this band soley on the music they create. Nobody has ever done what they do.

mooneystar
mooneystar
5/5/2009 06:18 PM

what's a "show" to you dude? I love all kinds of music, and the Lips put on an amazing rock show. I can watch 4 guys stand there and bust out serious chops, but i can also get down with a wild, trippy, viual assault type show. That to you is "novelty"...man - you dont sound very fun. If a band has psychedlis images going off on a screen behind them, does that also bug you?

nickname
nickname
5/5/2009 09:05 PM

This comment format is wack as fuck.

dispatch24
dispatch24
5/5/2009 11:18 PM

So I have been trying to stop myself from writing on this thread, but I couldn't help it. I just thought it was so cool jambase covered something from the little school I graduated from!

Also, I don't think the article was about covering what Flaming Lips are up to, but what people are doing for music.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use