Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

21 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Tea Leaf Green "Got No Friends" Tour
JamBase
JamBase
4/29/2009 12:00 AM

Tea Leaf Green "Got No Friends" Tour
San Francisco rockers Tea Leaf Green will be hitting the road again for the second half of May, making the cross country trek to rock the Northeast.

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
4/29/2009 09:19 AM

I dont know what it is about these guys, but I cant get into them. Ive seen them now 3 times here in Boston and a few festies here and there, and were thoroughly unimpressed each time more than the last. I will say that I havent seen them with Reed Mathis yet, so that might add a new dynamic to the group. I also happen to think that Josh Clark (i think thats his name?) shreds the guitar as well so its not like they are good musicians or anything. I just hope that I caught them on off nights or something, because I dont want to give up on them yet, but Im gettin close. Rock out. Peace

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
4/29/2009 09:20 AM

^its not like they ARENT good musicians.^

kider54
kider54
4/29/2009 09:21 AM

I thought new monsoon was their friends. Aren't they back on tour also? Minus tablas.

moephishH2O
moephishH2O
4/29/2009 09:46 AM

You've got friends in Oregon! Get back up here soon!

ludlow66
ludlow66
4/29/2009 09:57 AM

Old No. 7, I have the same opinion as you do. I have seen them three times now and each time they just did not excite me. I find Trevors voice weak which detracts from the songs. I read the article because I had hoped they were coming close to me so that I might see them again and give them another chance.

With so many good bands out now and the access to so many live shows from, Nugs, Livedownloads, Archive, etc. I only have so many hours in a day to explore music. I still am trying to give them a chance but I just recently discovered Moonalice and that is starting to occupy their spot in the rotation.

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
4/29/2009 10:33 AM

maybe they have no friends for a reason...

DrFunkinstein
DrFunkinstein
4/29/2009 10:37 AM

I agree with you dudes. Seen these guys several times and I just can't see what others see in them. Perhaps that is why they got no friends.

damoncory
damoncory
4/29/2009 11:12 AM

Saw them for the first time with or without Reed last summer. We liked the show enough to go back the next night, and that was good too. They are also playing 2 nights @ 10klf. For discount tics use promo code 201985

ZigZach420
ZigZach420
4/29/2009 11:15 AM

Come to Saratoga Springs!! SPAC needs a TLG show...

Right after mountain jam sounds good

hookahhead2
hookahhead2
4/29/2009 11:20 AM

you guys who can't get into them, i suggest trying them again with mathis, very different dynamic. i have seen 1 or 2 off shows though where i just wasn't into it, but every other time i was blown away. they are much better in a small club than festival too i think. love the mix of jam and songwriting.

surlybuf
surlybuf
4/29/2009 11:42 AM

They have great songs and I like them live. I thought Reed would totally change the dynamic, but when I saw them not too long ago, he was sort of lost in the mix and did nothing extraordinary except a couple of bass runs. I think I liked Ben with this group better. It's a shame because I love the Fred. This leads to my ultimate point. I've seen these guys many times and will so in the future, but the majority of the time I see them it's always a bad mix. One time all bass, another all guitar and drums and usually no vocals. I like Trevor's voice and song writing, but he is always muddied out by a bad sound engineer. I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again. Dump your sound guy or get one if you have to deal with the house sound man. Turn everything down and mix from the vocals on down.

tggtz8
tggtz8
4/29/2009 11:47 AM

That sucks you dudes cant get into them. But Moonalice over TLG? Crazy. Personally, I think this band is great and refreshing. They may not set the stage on fire every night, so preformances do vary. But if you do catch them when they are "on", you should be quite amazed. They can take jams onto cloud 9, and then hit you with a loosey goosey spaghetti western tune right after(similar to what the Grateful Dead would do)...but overall, I feel with Tea Leaf Green you HAVE to spend time investigating, digging deep into their lyrics, and their entire catalogue, in order to fully appreciate. (If you go to a show, you cant hear the lyrics, or if you are not fimilular with the song its hard to get fully into it)..although i'll agree trevor garrod can get a little off set with his vocals, he is still hands down one of the best songwriters ive ever encountered. But to each his own. Each person has a different prespective, so you either dig or dont. All im saying is try to dig into their material more before you pass too much judgement. Sorry for the rant

jeffeaby
jeffeaby
4/29/2009 12:47 PM

Got no friends in Arizona

Got no friends in ol’ Utah

& when I get to Colorado

I won’t know a soul there at all

So, stay a little longer, my baby

For I sure need your company

‘Cause in the mornin’ I gotta leave

I’m gonna cross this wide country

Yeah, I’m gonna cross this wide country

The planes they’re makin’ don’t fly high enough

And the trains are rollin’ off the tracks

My engine just said, “bye” to my garage

You don’t know when he’s comin’ back

‘Cause in the mornin’ I’m gonna leave

Savin’ up my lady’s misfortunes

I’m ridin’ the dust on the wind

And there’s holes in my shoes, my buttons are loose

And there’s no telling where I’ve been

And when I see that sun a-rising

Across that East Atlantic shore

It’s not because I woke up early… no

But I stayed up from the night before!

‘Cause in the mornin’ I gotta leave

I’m gonna cross this wide country!

I’m gonna cross this wide country.

AlephDeadHead
AlephDeadHead
4/29/2009 01:04 PM

i dont like TLg at all (buut they are better with Reed) but what i dont get is so many times peolpe are posting comment about how theyve seen TLG about 4 or5 times, havent enjoyed it once but are STILL going back to see them to give theem another chance. Why? what makes you think youll like them the next time? and if it is an "off night" each of those times then they really must suck to have that many of them. i would never gamble with my money with those kind of odds. you guys must have soe serious cash t ospend that much money on something you dont enjoy. I usually find when I go see a band that if they are having an off night I can tell they are and can still hear some sort of skill to it.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use