Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

12 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
MMW | 04.18.09 | Minneapolis
JamBase
JamBase
4/28/2009 12:00 AM

MMW | 04.18.09 | Minneapolis
MMW throws down in Minneapolis, with a special appearance from the legend, Dr. Lonnie Smith...

LTJFreak
LTJFreak
4/28/2009 03:10 PM

nice setlist inclusion.

ao1
ao1
4/28/2009 05:35 PM

MMW.......one of my favorite all time bands....you don't like em, you suck!

ripped
ripped
4/28/2009 07:15 PM

nice review...

funkymtn
funkymtn
4/29/2009 07:36 AM

good review, but:

"Although the group played an array of songs throughout this set - including a dark, Bad Plus-like, piano-heavy number about halfway through"

that is much like saying the Allman Brothers played a melodic, Tea Leaf Green-like number...

just doesn't work!

mockdaniels
mockdaniels
4/29/2009 04:37 PM

great point parsons.

mattguff9
mattguff9
4/29/2009 05:47 PM

nice review. Thanks for the venue and crowd detail. My friends bailed on me and I didn't want to go solo so I had to miss out, but feel like i was there.

Hey Parsons, decent point regarding the Bad Plus reference; a MPLS music plug more than anything. I let it slide because, as a B+ fan, I got an audio image of what the song sounded like. So I'm siding with the author.

Jokerman
Jokerman
4/30/2009 05:09 AM

What's the deal with the articles never including a setlist for any of the bands they cover? fucking amature

PCPrabbit
PCPrabbit
4/30/2009 09:48 AM

true indeed on the erroneous bad plus reference. they definitely have similarities, but lets not go and throw all jazz-trained musicians into one category. that's amazing to see dr. lonnie up and about. he's a true living legend that i havnt had a chance to see....yet. MMW is the truth. end transmission.

damoncory
damoncory
4/30/2009 11:45 AM

Sorry we had to Bail Matt. Its sucks we had to miss this. This is a very good review. As far as the Bad Plus ref. Medeski does not use the Piano alot, and The Bad Plus uses only piano so I can see where the comparison came from. They are goth great by the way. Go see them.

che676
che676
4/30/2009 11:37 PM

mmmmm....! Medeski, Martin and Wood! it was a treat, as always! But, why Trocaderos?! I suppose it worked out, but First-Ave would have been great! I've seen them at First-Ave three times and i melted my face off. I had a great time at Trocaderos, don't get me wrong, i'm thankful they even stopped through. i got the privilege of watching Medeski close up, closer than i've ever been, and it was an incredible sight. GO MMW!!

msudtg
msudtg
5/5/2009 01:08 PM

So... I just read this for the first time... I went to show, it was amazing!!! I was two to three feet from Medeski!!! He is awesome, simply unbelievable. But, I had to leave after the first set, I had to wake-up at 5am the next morning... but I would have stayed if lonnie smith was going to be there... bad mistake on my part... although this was the best venue I have seen them at...

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use