bdaughert
bdaughert
4/22/2009 09:43 PM

the longest set being hour and a half?....this seems like a half ass fest

maybe its just me.....

frinkazoid
frinkazoid
4/23/2009 06:13 PM

not to mention that upstate SC is the armpit of the south, myrtle beach being the crotch of course...

rtteter
rtteter
4/28/2009 11:49 AM

Hi Folks - as the promoter of this fest, I feel the need to chime in to answer some of these concerns.

My partner and I are both members of a group on this bill called The Belleville Outfit. We are both from Spartanburg, SC, but now live in Austin, TX.

Having spent the 2 years of my life traveling and playing festivals around the country, I cannot remember ever playing a set longer than 1:30. For that matter, most of these bands, with the exception maybe of Donna or Boombox, rarely play longer than 1:30 in their own theatre/club appearances. Bonnaroo, Merlefest, ACL, Floyd, Bristol R+R, you won't find any sets over 1:30 - most will be 0:40.

We also operate with only one stage (so that everyone gets to see every band) and a noise curfew.

The only way I can respond to concern about upstate SC being the "armpit of the south" is to say, that yes, it is indeed an uphill climb as promoters deciding to host an event like this in the area. However, the venue, which I can safely say none of you folks have visited, is stunning. Beautiful natural grassy ampitheatre. Right on the river, tons of shade, a huge canopy cover above audience should it rain, tons of camping...

This is the 5th year we've thrown this event, the past 4 years it being a one-day, smaller scale event. We throw this festival to give back to a community that desparately wants cool bands, and cool things to happen in THEIR OWN town. And they come out. Last year, as a one day event we had 4 figure attendance.

Plus - weekend passes are $50 - and I'll bet anyone a free ticket to find a fest with this kind of line-up for cheaper.

We grew up in Spartanburg, and we know how significant of a music town it is, and I'd love nothing more than if you folks came and found out.

Thanks,

RT

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use