Music Only Discussion Forum

A focused discussion on MUSIC!

10 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Umphrey's Type II Jams
struby420
struby420
10/4/2010 09:36 AM

I want this thread to be a collective entity with the purpose of proving to Umph-haters that they don't "improvise" in the vein that could be described as "Type II". I sorta dislike the terminology "Type II", since it comes from overanalytical Phishies, but I dislike it when Umphrey's gets dismissed by Phishies and Biscoites.

To dismiss the jackasses who will come in and undoubtedly say that "Umphrey's doesn't Type II jam, fact", I'm going to post a commonly accepted definition for what a Type II jam is. If your opinion differs from mine, all I ask is that you use musical knowledge and reasoning to justify your stance. You may not diss Kris Meyers using electronic drum pads, at any point. Percussion diversity is something Umphrey's and moe. can say they do better than the other jam bands.

What is a type II jam? "Jams which completely improvise the notes, tempo, and structure of the music." The end up sound like nothing of the original song, and are different from Jazz jams in that they usually originate from a type I jam during a song. Does anyone have a problem with this definition?

Here's the first song I'm going to provide as an example. I hope other Umphrey's lovers will back me up on here, but if not, I will glady keep picking through my catalog for water to douse the Haterade sippers with.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9EX5MC8Q

Plunger, 2007, Truckee, CA

funkvibes
funkvibes
10/9/2010 12:54 PM

cool plunger man....u should probably just keep posting some of these so called "type 2" jams if there worth it...

struby420
struby420
10/11/2010 07:16 AM

2x2, 2009, Chicago http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6RXDQU4Z

Glory, 2009, Las Tortguas http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6DS4VXG6

rootsrock1
rootsrock1
10/11/2010 11:23 PM

Whats a type 1 jam?

NOOB^

struby420
struby420
10/13/2010 06:57 AM

A type I jam is basically an improvised jam within the structure of a song (same chord progression, time signature, etc). Type one jams will usually move from song jam>guitar solo>song jam>keys solo>song jam>bass solo, etc. The point being, the band will return to the song's original chord progression and timing to launch off all the jams within a song. There really wasn't even any sort of terminology for delineating jams from one another until Phish blew up, and revived the Dead-esque tradition of setlist stats, taping every show, etc.

frgnugs
frgnugs
10/24/2010 09:26 PM

UM jamming style is crazy and dominant.

10-2-2010 Reno, NV show Wappy Sprayberry is super sick, Type II jamming.

12/29/08 Resolution and The Bottom Half(pt.1)>JAM>Plunger>

Summerfest 2005 Milwaukee Robot World Stew

UM pwnds n00b faces.

gabe2
gabe2
4/4/2012 04:44 PM

Phish-heads are over-analytical because the music provides a level of sophistication that demands it. I'm not implying anything, oh hell, of course I am.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
4/5/2012 11:45 PM

Don't all these bands jam like both of those ways? I don't really see your point. I think Umphrey's is awesome, personally. I listen to more Phish and Biscuits, and have seen them more, but I still love Umphrey's. Big deal.

I think the reason I haven't gotten into Umphrey's though, as much as a band like Phish is, and this is just my opinion, is their melodies don't get me as much. I like the band, I own some of their albums, I think they're an awesome band, but Umphrey's songs haven't hooked me as much as songs like Maze or Squirming Coil or Split Open and Melt. Kinda the same with Moe. for me. I'm a huge fan and have a buncha their albums, have seen them a bunch, I will be at moe.Down this yaer, but their songs don't hit me as much as Phish's. No big deal.

That's just me.

weekapaugsmooth
weekapaugsmooth
4/16/2012 05:29 PM

Phish is the top jam IMHO but UM delivers verry well and would be a tie in my no 3 spot with sts9 comming in just under lotus and the best of course is PHISH. all other jam bands are tied in 4th place putting my fav DJ's in 5th

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
5/15/2012 05:43 AM

SCI 1.0 is the clear winner. Early Phish jams are horrible if you go back to them now. They did seem great at the time but I think it was the very strong drugs going around that fooled us.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use