Politics Forum

Midterms Matter!

11 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Biased Media
terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
10/30/2008 08:24 PM

So, this has little to do with the upcoming election, but I had a conversation with my strongly republican mother, who passionately talks all about how the media is skewed towards the "liberal" viewpoint. I personally tend to be moderately liberal, I don't have extremely strong feelings towards politics, but this tends to be where my viewpoints rest on most issues. I try not to consider myself liberal OR conservative, but I was wondering what people thought about the media, if it seems liberally biased or not. I will say that most of the media is liberal, but there is definately plenty of conservative media. Just flip on Fox News for about 3 minutes and u'll c them do nothing but bash Obama. I will say that there r plenty of republicans who r not back-water rednecks, and are intelligent, educated people, but for the most part they seem to act like self-righteous, uncaring, compassion-lacking, selfish people, and when anyone bashes them they act like martyrs. I think a lot of people look at republicans though as if they're evil, and I don't tend to agree. I highly disagree with the decisions they've made, I have a different political viewpoint, I think they're money/power-hungry pigs, but overall, most republicans, I think have the best intensions in mind, it's just that they're very skewed. Shit, Lincoln was a republican.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
10/30/2008 08:26 PM

So, I think my question to you all is, do u find the media in general to be moreso liberal or conservative, or unbiased?

1radioheader
1radioheader
10/30/2008 08:40 PM

Talk Radio - Very Biased conservative/republican

Foxnews - Very Biased conservative/republican

Late night Talk Shows/comedy central - Very Biased Liberal/Democrat (stewart plays it pretty straight though)

Many Newspapers - Slightly Liberal/democrat

Many NewsMAGAZINES - Go either way

MSNBC - Very Biased Liberal/Democrat

Overall it depends on exactly where you go, the last couple of years of the conservative media and republicans constantly bashing the 'LIBERAL MEDIA' AND "MAIN STREAM MEDIA" have effected people's outlook on the matter, in that I believe it has gotten more conservative, but is perceived as more liberal (thought control thought control thought control)

If you can control the language, you can control the thoughts ---George Orwell

Ierner
Ierner
10/30/2008 09:06 PM

We need more than a 2 party system. I do believe that this will fix many issues. And, you are correct, each of the two parties has wrong tendencies when the media ($$$) is involved.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
10/30/2008 11:19 PM

Fox News, Bill O'Reilly, 700 Club, Rush Limbaugh... There's plenty of conservative media out there.

kirkbrew
kirkbrew
10/31/2008 07:12 AM

MSNBC, biased left.

Fox, biased right.

Talk Radio (from Limbaugh to Air America), idiots rambling for partisam morons.

CNN, ABC... News for 12 year olds. Face it, they are not catering to educated people.

PBS/NPR - Probably the best "accessable" news source.

Economist, National Review, Weekly Std - Good news from an intelligent Right view.

Nation, MJ - Same as above, but from the Left.

When people talk about the "liberial media", I ask if that is the same media that covered up Clintons sex antics or if it was the one who questioned Bush about the war. If these people were strongly "liberal", then they would have faught Bush. Instead, CNN adopeted a policy where any coverage of "anti-war" would be followed up with something related to 9-11. THat's "liberal"?

What there is is a very large company looking for ratings. It is a business!!!

As for one take on the "liberial media", I think FZ made a good point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDHo3cwJqQ&feature=related

His comment on "liberial media" starts at 6:20.

THis is great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

FunkThompson
FunkThompson
10/31/2008 08:01 AM

Most of the "mainstream" media - television news and the major newspapers - tends toward the conservative, with exceptions like CNN (mildly liberal) and MSNBC (massively liberal except for Lou Dobbs :D). By and large, the "liberal media" is just an ad-hom the right uses to discredit any "news" from any "outlet" that might benefit the left, and not so much a true or false statement about the media. There are left and right leaning talk shows, radio hosts, newscasters, anchors, analysts, etc. Each given show or segment or personality is marketing himself to one side or the other, or one subgroup amid that (Bill O'Reilly seems focused on the older conservative crowd, while Glenn Beck seems to be aiming for the young repubs crowd.)

Most of your "entertainment media" - ie, the media as portrayed by the opinions and actions of the hollywood folks - is wildly liberal. Stewart might dish it out to both sides but is still clearly liberal.

As usual, generalizations don't match up well with reality.

Jenkem_Garcia
Jenkem_Garcia
10/31/2008 08:31 AM

There is a liberal bias in most new sources, since most journalists are liberal. There is a conscious or unconscious bias that seeps into their reporting. However, most people have Fox news, and that gives people more access to television reporting that is not tinged with the liberal bias.

There has always been some conservative newspapers such as the New York Post, but more Americans are served with somewhat liberal newspapers. As the internet replaces the printing press, conservative sites such as the Drudge Report are allowing readers to choose sources that are compatible with their views.

Talk radio is another animal altogether. Based on demographics, personalities, or whatever reason, conservatives thrive in the AM radio format. Liberal hosts have repeatedly failed to gain an audience that rivals Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, or Savage. Some opinion liberals on TV have succeeded such as Olberman and Matthews, but O'Reilly has been the king of that genre (though he claims that he is an independent).

only people without cable or internet access have to suffer through exclusively liberal news sources. However, if you know the issues well, you can see through that bias, and still evaluate the story in any way that you choose.

Lightenupyourload
Lightenupyourload
10/31/2008 06:18 PM

A study was just released saying media coverage is less critical of Obama

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_media

"For whatever reason, the media are portraying Barack Obama as a better choice for president than John McCain," said Robert Lichter, a George Mason University professor and head of the center.

ABC recorded 57 percent favorable comments toward the Democrats, and 42 percent positive for the Republicans. NBC had 56 percent positive for the Democrats, 16 percent for the Republicans. CBS had 73 percent positive (Obama), versus 31 percent (McCain).

The McCain camp has run a dishonorable, sleaze-filled campaign and hasn't been open with the media, holding very few meetings w/ press on the "Straight Talk Express" and even fewer opportunities to interview Palin. I don't think it's a surprise that the media have responded with less positive comments about the candidate or campaign when its been at war with them from the beginning.

kirkbrew
kirkbrew
11/1/2008 12:06 PM

THe report that Lightenyourload mentions was put out by the Center for Media and Public Affairs. A right leaning orginization. Very right leaning. Lots of connections to Pat Robertson, Haritage Foundation, AEI etc...

For all the Republican cry-babies out there, pack this in your pipe:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?source=most_commented&story_id=12516666

Sorry, but when the economist turns on the Republicans, that tells you something (not to mention Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, George Will...). Suck it up McCainiacs. Your boy bites it and his girl is a waste of skin. And this election was not thrown by a "liberial media", but instead by a feviourish right wing who are well past their sell by date.

Notable quotes from the Economist endorsment, "Somehow Ronald Reagan’s party of western individualism and limited government has ended up not just increasing the size of the state but turning it into a tool of southern-fried moralism."

"the Candidate McCain of the past six months has too often seemed the victim of political sorcery, his good features magically inverted, his bad ones exaggerated. The fiscal conservative who once tackled Mr Bush over his unaffordable tax cuts now proposes not just to keep the cuts, but to deepen them."

"The choice of Sarah Palin epitomised the sloppiness. It is not just that she is an unconvincing stand-in, nor even that she seems to have been chosen partly for her views on divisive social issues, notably abortion. Mr McCain made his most important appointment having met her just twice."

All the "liberial media" did was ask a few questions. It has been the true conservatives who have said the nastiest things. OUCH!!!

marcsmall1
marcsmall1
11/4/2008 10:43 AM

Reality has a liberal bias.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use