Politics Forum

Midterms Matter!

32 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
Prez Debate #2
kirkbrew
kirkbrew
10/8/2008 06:20 AM

I learnt so many things last night.

First - why have more than 1 debate? I'd say that 75% of what was said was taken verbatim from the previous debate. The only shockers was McCain plan to buy homes (not his idea although he claimed it) and Obama's call for a line item veto (holly Constitutional shit Batman!).

Second - If the audience chosen was to look like the American people, then the American people are:

0% Hispanic, 0% Asian,

10% fat white bald guys,

95% totally unattractive,

and 100% fuckin' morons. The chick with the Far-Side-like-glasses asking the "trust" question was a freakin' stumblin', bumblin' hill jack,

Third - How many times can McCain say "reachin' across the aisle" and mention that Reagan worked with Tipp O'Neil on a tax deal. I counted 4 and 2. And, how many Americans know who Tipp O'Neil was?

Fourth - McCain is far from being free of senior moments. On prioritizing Energy/Entitlements/Health Care, McCain had to write down each topic and look back at the list. Then his answer as to which to prioritize? "Do them all at once." I mean, we can easily fight a two fronted war...

Fifth - You would think that these guys are courting the Saudis. Why won't either Obama or McCain mention the Saudis when talking about money that we go to when buy foreign oil? Obama says, "Middle Eastern oil", but does not mention the Saudis??? McCain goes on about "givin' money to countries who don;t like us very much but never mentions the Saudis. WTF?!?!?

Finally, who is McCains hero? Reagan or Teddy Roosevelt? He mentioned both, but I think it goes to Reagan with his finishing line, "Our best days are ahead of us". Reminds me of Bush II's bit about livin' on the east side of the mountain to watch the sun rise. And both are out of the Reagan play book.

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
10/8/2008 06:36 AM

Definitely Reagan. I too noticed that he kept trying to conjur images of Reagan; most likely because he was the last president to lead the country out of a major recession. Probably not a bad strategy, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that McCain was selling snake oil. Obama definitely won on delivery but I agree with you, not much was said that wasn't already widely known. I found it interesting that Obama hit McCain a few times by accusing him of planning to give rich enterprises 200 Billion in tax breaks and McCain never really seemed to deny or address that.

It seems like, if I can see through the rhetoric, that McCain plans to try to create jobs through the "trickle down" theory by stabilizing the larger corporations whereas Obama's path would be to stabalize the smaller "mom and pop" businesses. He stated that no American with a household income of below $200k would have a tax increase... I'll believe that when I see it.

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
10/8/2008 07:14 AM

"I found it interesting that Obama hit McCain a few times by accusing him of planning to give rich enterprises 200 Billion in tax breaks and McCain never really seemed to deny or address that. "

he can't address it because thats exactly what he is going to do.

actually most of the things that Obama acuses McCain of doing/supporting McCain doesnt respond to because its the truth on the other hand McCain constantly acuses Obama of the same things over and over which he knows are false and which Obama has to correct him on. But what it comes down to is McCain is playing to the fact that once something is out there someone will hear it out of context and will believe it and spread it.

1radioheader
1radioheader
10/8/2008 08:24 AM

(sigh)

I think Ted Koppel won the debate hands down. When he smacked down Barack Obama when Barrack tried to jump in and respond to a point McCain made (against the format rules) and simply plowed through to the next question was great. As was Ted repeatedly shooting Mccain looks and struggling to make him adhere to the time limit. Then at the end of the debate Ted made them walk to their seperate corners so that he could read the teleprompter.

+ I (not in the majority probably) thought that it was just fine that Ted inserted his own question into the stated internet questions.

(as a side note these two really don't like each other, which plays into Obama's favor as he hides it better than Mccain.)

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
10/8/2008 09:06 AM

^ Tom Brokaw

1radioheader
1radioheader
10/8/2008 09:08 AM

Damnit

thanks Lakai. . . . . . .

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
10/8/2008 10:10 AM

I didn't really think either candidate paid Brokaw much mind...they kept breaking the rules and talking off topic to suit their agendas. Kudos to Tom for not letting them slide, but it didn't seem to do much good.

Obama definitely comes off better regarding poise and presentation. McCain sounds so much like a snake oil salesman... that loud whisper voice with the whistle at the end definitely doesn't come accross well... haha..

Lightenupyourload
Lightenupyourload
10/8/2008 10:19 AM

Brokaw's such a dick, laughing at McCain's stupid ass jokes. McCain bringing up Teddy Roosevelt and Tipp O'Neil makes him look like the old, out-of-touch man he is. Obama is clearly increasing the lead, and McCain's desperation is making him look more and more like the loser he is.

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
10/8/2008 10:41 AM

Brokaw and McCain are "old friends" as they both have put it at one time or another but they do actually "hang out" together prob eating prunes and talking about the good old days when McCain was actually a human being.

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
10/8/2008 11:06 AM

McCain's movements do look robotic...haha..

I disagree with you on his strategy of mentioning Regean and Tipp O'Neil as making him look old. Let's face it, he is old and his only shot at turning that to his advantage (if that's even possible) is not to try and look younger but rather to embrace his age and make it look like a pro because of the experience.. and by bringing up O'Neil/Regean he is citing a Republican president that worked with a leading Democrat to lead this country out of a financial crisis.... it was actually a good strategy. I aint buyin it, but it was clever.

brklynns
brklynns
10/8/2008 11:44 AM

Kirk you always crack me up man. Good stuff.

leadhead
leadhead
10/8/2008 12:32 PM

1. I resent being repeatedly addressed as "My friend." I don't want him as a president let alone a friend.

2. Did you catch the end when McCain refused to shake Obama's hand? Just the kind of guy I want dealing with foreign leaders who don't agee with us.

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
10/8/2008 12:59 PM

Did he really? Wow...that was a bad move. I'm surprised the media didn't jump on that.

leadhead
leadhead
10/8/2008 02:13 PM

i didn't pick up on it first, very subtle and maybe unintentional. obama appeared to offer his hand and mccain may not have seen him and went to shake with someone in the crowd. obama immediately then found someone elso to greet. even if it was unintentional, being on top of customs not only in this country and in other countries where slights like this can cause huge diplomatic hard feelings, is mandatory for any leader.

leadhead
leadhead
10/8/2008 02:13 PM

i didn't pick up on it first, very subtle and maybe unintentional. obama appeared to offer his hand and mccain may not have seen him and went to shake with someone in the crowd. obama immediately then found someone elso to greet. even if it was unintentional, being on top of customs not only in this country and in other countries where slights like this can cause huge diplomatic hard feelings, is mandatory for any leader.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use