Politics Forum

Midterms Matter!

16 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
The Less Government, The Better.
terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
4/23/2012 08:51 PM

My political stance lately has been, if anything, more libertarian then anything, I think, if you wanna call it anything. I've always voted with the left, and my views have always leaned more left. But in my opinion, the right and left are both a buncha nutjobs.

My opinion is the government just wastes so much money on stupid things they don't need to be wasting it on. And the Republicans will tell you "Oh, liberals want more government, and the conservatives want less." That is a LIE. Both sides want tons of government control, just doing different things. Usually based on whatever will benefit them as individuals, rather then society as a whole, which is how ANY political view should be.

The government, I think, should not be here to baby us, or be our fucking parents. Its job is to protect us from being raped and robbed in the night, and to keep the traffic lights on. That is it. Not to tell us not to smoke pot, or where to park our cars, or whether or not gay marriage is ok, or build more prisons.

It shouldn't be here to give us hand-outs like welfare checks and free this and free that, just cuz we're too lazy to work hard.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
4/23/2012 08:58 PM

I'm all for helping others, and I believe if there was more altruism going on in today's society, our problems would be fixed, but it shouldn't come from tax payers who work hard to make an honest living day by day. Social change can happen independently of the government. And that's how it SHOULD be.

Look at Wavy Gravy and how many people he's helped over the years. He didn't sit around whining about how the government won't provide health care, he went out and raised money and gathered people with the same vision, and set things up, and did it himself. THAT, to me, is how this country should run. I'm not sure if they are or not, but if worker's unions aren't independent organizations too, they should be.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
4/23/2012 09:02 PM

I'm not claiming to know everything, I'm without health insurance right now, and whether or not healthcare in Europe is the best way to go, I do not know, but it's just my view that people should learn to make a difference themselves, rather than leaving that in the hands of sick, crooked politicians.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
4/23/2012 09:02 PM

I'm not claiming to know everything, I'm without health insurance right now, and whether or not healthcare in Europe is the best way to go, I do not know, but it's just my view that people should learn to make a difference themselves, rather than leaving that in the hands of sick, crooked politicians.

dwenig01
dwenig01
8/15/2012 06:14 AM

So true terra! True compassion comes from the individual not from the gov't! If you demand the government take care of you financially you become a burden on society and take away from those that truly can't help themselves e.g. the handicapped.

How does supporting increased government spending in healthcare, education, and etc. make a politician or individual more compassionate? It doesn't, it shifts the responsibility from yourself onto the whole society (but i guess it makes people feel better about themselves.)

It drives me crazy when people say things like "Obama is taking care of so many people with his increased spending in education". How is Obama actually helping them? He's not directly taking money from his pocket, he is demanding other people do it, while he takes all the credit.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
9/6/2012 09:15 PM

From watching politicians, day after day, fighting for every social issue under the sun in whatever direction, the one thing you NEVER hear them fight for is liberty. Ever. Republicans want to keep prisons filled, and they do. Democrats want to keep pot illegal, too, by the way. They BOTH want to keep this interventionist foreign policy, despite Obama saying they're nothing like the Republicans.

Obama wants to go into Pakistan and Iran. For the same reasons as Iraq. Exact same. Clinton went into Syria and Somalia. And South Africa. So Democrats are a war-loving group, also. They both want to continue being in Israel, despite the fact that we don't need to be there, they're fine on their own.

It's sickening also how people say "Oh, the principles of Thomas Jefferson and George Washingtn won't work nowadays, the world's too complex. You need all these laws, and if the US government wasn't as big as it was we'd be in huge trouble."

Our forefathers did not start this "experiment," as they worded it, as a place to be a Christian nation. They did it in opposition to tyranny in Europe. Because they saw that it didn't work. On a side note, Thomas Jefferson didn't suggest that they'd move into France and overthrow the king to bring about democracy. The tyranny that exists in the world today is absolutely no different. So why do we model ourselves after them? Soft communism and soft fascism working together. Without a face, though. We have no Hitler or Mussolini. But the actions are the same.

terrarium_fusila…
terrarium_fusila…
9/6/2012 09:17 PM

I say that what Thomas Jefferson taught about resisting tyranny and big government is still completely relivant and important today. He, as a president, also, would never DREAM about the need to have attorneys there to decide if something was constitutional or not, just so he can get his way. Or to twist the words of the constitution so his agenda worked out.

That's why I'm voting Libertarian. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. They're the only ONLY party supporting liberty.

beel
beel
9/16/2012 12:25 AM

I'll be voting for Gary Johnson and James Gray. I will have a clear conscience and be able to look myself in the mirror. The decline of the USA will continue with a RomObamaney administration.

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
9/22/2012 05:24 AM

About 40 years ago Kurt Vonnegut wrote that we should be suspicious of anyone that WANTED to be a politition. I agree. He went on to say that we should have a lottery and make someone be president.

I do however think that Obama has good intentions and I trust him to at least TRY to do the right thing. The problem is that the entire system is fucked and no-one can do anything anyway.

groovylilradical
groovylilradical
10/27/2013 12:53 PM

okay, well then i'll leave it to you to fix the roads, educate our children, keep me (and all others safe), and the myriad of other things the government provides us. look, i'm no right wing repub, but i do believe that some regulation is necessary to maintain a standard of life that we have all become accustomed to (and no, not just blind consumerism .... i'm talking about the 'basics' that some third world countries would be happy to have).

our government isn't perfect. but trust me, i've been to some of those third world countries i mentioned and they would laugh (as do i) at this whiny bullshit. and be happy to take the rights you don't mention in this short-sighted, ill-conceived libertarian rant. so feel free to e-mail me and we'll exchange addresses so you can send me your papers and go off the grid a'la 'into the wild' ... just do us all a favor and pack enough food. or at least have someone bring you supply packages .... it's lonely and hard when you're all on your own.

groovylilradical
groovylilradical
10/27/2013 12:56 PM

sorry to sound so offensively crass ... and listen i really agree with some of your social issue agendas. but smoking pot and gay marriage (which i fully support) will come with time. it's not worth it to me to have a complete breakdown of systems (and i support the welfare system although i am not on it) that i feel our citizens deserve.

krazylegz
krazylegz
12/30/2013 08:51 PM

The Less Government, The Better.....haha,tell that to the fucking idiots who voted to legalize pot and try and take away medicinal in washington...all it did was take it from the people and put it in the govt hands,now you cant drive without being blood tested and messed with if you even are perceived to be stoned in washington......did you people really have to vote YES just to have the state government up your ass for a measly oz that you can only smoke in your house (or front porch,yipeeeee!!)

krazylegz
krazylegz
12/30/2013 08:53 PM

^^^we were doing this anyways...been doing it for years,without worry of a state watchdog

loiacan0c
loiacan0c
3/8/2014 09:36 AM

Less Government is a Horrible idea unless you want to end up living in a third world country where a small Aristocracy controls all the wealth, Power, and Resources. People seem to lack the concept of what a Government is and is Supposed to do...

The Government is the People and Represents the People; Most people just blame the Governments mis Representation of the people who elected them for problems that are Driven by Corporations bring considered people and money being considered free speech.

The Government was instituted among men to Provide and Protect the Constitutional and Inalienable rights over Tyrants, Corporations, Aristocracies, etc.

With out Government Empathy and Compassion would be left to individuals to decide.. This is why the creation of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence made our country so great and a model for others.

Without Government there would still be slaves, no rights for women, etc... Being a Libertarian makes sense if you want to contact with people and do not want to participate in any part of society at all... This would be the equivilant to living on a Farm house in absolutley the middle of nowhere if that makes sense.

loiacan0c
loiacan0c
3/8/2014 09:38 AM

*Being a Libertarian makes sense if you want NO contact with people and do not want to participate in any part of society at all... This would be the equivilant to living on a Farm house in absolutley the middle of nowhere if that makes sense.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use