Politics Forum

Midterms Matter!

20 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
72 bodies found on Mexican ranch
tonka1973
tonka1973
8/25/2010 06:33 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_mexico_drugs;_ylt=AkouFTyUHE_oQkDxH3qO10qs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNqajRrcXFhBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwODI1L3VzX21leGljb19kcnVncwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzUEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNzZXZlbnR5LXR3b2I-

Remember kiddies, just say no to drugs

tonka1973
tonka1973
8/25/2010 06:34 AM

http://tinyurl.com/34asqkb

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 12:20 PM

The bottom line is people are going to get their hands on drugs regardless. It was easier for me to get bud than beer in high school. The US government spends millions of dollars on the war on drugs, which is pretty much fighting the inevitable. They should legalize cannabis, and maybe one or two of the lower grade drugs, tax the substances and have an inflow of money as opposed to spending millions on an unwinnable war. I understand outlawing meth and heroin, because those are fucked up drugs. What is amazing to me is that oxycotin is legal, but cannabis isn’t.....hmmmm.....I guess that makes sense?

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 12:31 PM

I think a big reason that some of the illegal substances have not been legalized yet is driving under the influence. I dont mind if people take drugs responsibly, however I do have a problem with people getting spun and being a liability on the road. Recreational drug use is all fine by me, just as long as people act responsible and not act like an asshole

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 01:31 PM

Thats true lord, I think its a combination of people making alot of money by keeping drugs illegal and the dangers of people drinking on drugs. I feel that if this country had a better public transportation system, then there would be no real issue against the legalization of drugs

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 01:44 PM

I dont understand it either. In europe the drinking age is much lower than ours because their public transportaion is superior. I think that the old myths of marijuana being a "harmful" and "Dangerous" are a thing of the past. I am willing to bet that if you ask 100,000 people under the age of 50 if they have ever smoked pot...70,000-80,000 of those people would say yes. As with the Mexican Drug war it is indeed very dangerous, I live in Texas and have heard all kinds of gruesome stories. mY uncle works in Mexico and has seen a few firefights in the streets. I just think its sad that those savages are financed by products that could be legalized and regulated by the US govt

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 02:05 PM

The goal of the drug war is $$$. $ for the DEA, drug testing agencies, and the like. You would think that the federal govt would have learned a thing or two in a history book (prohibition 1920-1930s, Al Capone, increase in violence, etc). I find it even more mind boggling that the no 1 cash crop in the US is Cannabis....and by a huge margin. Legalizing marijuanna alone would be a huge boost in agricultural production...take california for example, cannabus would definately help them climb out of the debt they are in......but of course....the Govt fucks it up

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 02:08 PM

Pharmaceutical companies are also a big road block in the way. Doctors get so much money endorsing and prescribing drugs that could easily be replaced with drugs like marijuanna

PooDolla
PooDolla
8/26/2010 02:18 PM

I don't think you guys understand what is happening in Mexico. The Tijuana, Oaxaca, Jaurez Cartels along with a few other cartels are at war with eachother and the Mexican Police.

The United States has little involvement in this war other then that some of our citizens are buying drugs from these cartels.

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 02:44 PM

There is a reason that the majority of the violence is occuring near the US border in Northern Mexico. The cartels are fighting for access points to smuggle drugs into the US. The majority of their cashflow comes from smuggling cocaine, marijuanna, and heroin into the United States. I read that 70% of foerign narcotics are smuggled in through Mexico. The US has no "direct" involvement. However you have cartels like los zetas and los negros smuggling multi millions of dollars worth of drugs into the US. The cartels are killing off politicans who stand in their way. I have even heard of cartels smuggling cocaine inside of sharks that were being transfered into the US for scientific research. The US could create a devestating blow to their business if they made drugs legal and available at drug stores. That way people are buying drugs from the free market as opposed to indirectly financing the cartels by buying goods off the streets.

PooDolla
PooDolla
8/26/2010 02:51 PM

You think meth, coke, and herion should be legal?

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 03:04 PM

I personally don't think those drugs should be legalized...possibly cocaine, but marijuana is the main portion of their drug trade. I would say 40% of their income is produced by marijuana. Even if just marijuana was legalized that would cause enough of a financial disruption to drastically impact their finances and power in general.

PooDolla
PooDolla
8/26/2010 03:33 PM

Where did this 40% number come from?

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 03:51 PM

The 40% is an estimation on my part.....but this article pretty much sums up my points

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/17/how-legal-pot-could-harm-the-cartels.html

GratefulSpread1
GratefulSpread1
8/26/2010 04:09 PM

The 40% is an estimation on my part.....but this article pretty much sums up my points

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/17/how-legal-pot-could-harm-the-cartels.html

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use