Politics Forum

Midterms Matter!

10 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
new laws make it illegal to record police
BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
6/3/2010 11:07 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer.

Even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists.

The legal justification for arresting the "shooter" rests on existing wiretapping or eavesdropping laws, with statutes against obstructing law enforcement sometimes cited. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland are among the 12 states in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway. Since the police do not consent, the camera-wielder can be arrested. Most all-party-consent states also include an exception for recording in public places where "no expectation of privacy exists" (Illinois does not) but in practice this exception is not being recognized.

requiring consent from both parties to make taping illegal is bogus. imagine if i could press charges on a store owner for taping me after i B&E his beer cooler.

Permatrip
Permatrip
6/3/2010 02:43 PM

Wow that's fucking stupid. So when video is shot of let's say rodney king being clubbed to death, the person who is shooting the crime happen is now actually committing a crime? Great so the police can record you without your permission to use against you, but your not allowed to record them to prove your inoccence? Man fuck the police!

PooDolla
PooDolla
6/3/2010 03:55 PM

I don't buy it.

railroadearth6
railroadearth6
6/3/2010 07:18 PM

Welcome to Illinois...

I see no reason for this law other than keeping the reality of police abuse low key (and mostly nonexistant in the eyes of the court).

Meanwhile, the TV show Cops is in its 11th year of exploiting the identities people who haven't even been convicted yet of anything.

When people ask me "Why the fuck do you want to go to law school, you fucking sell-out," I recite bullshit injustices like this...

Permatrip
Permatrip
6/4/2010 09:23 AM

What if you recorded a cop abusing your rights (let's say a hidden mic in your car) and were gona got to jail for somthing you didn't do. If the tape clearly shows you were inocent would you still go to jail for the recording the event? Its a real shame if you have to break the law to prove your inoccense.

Permatrip
Permatrip
6/4/2010 09:38 AM

We are recorded everyday without are concent. If they can record us to show us commiting a crime why can we not record them commiting a crime? What ever happend to the citizens arrest?

Permatrip
Permatrip
6/4/2010 09:49 AM

If a cop is doing nothing wrong then he has nothing to hide. The very fact that they are trying to shut this down go to show what we all know. Cops will overstep their boundaries and when they do were screwed, not them

PooDolla
PooDolla
7/20/2010 02:20 PM

My favorite things to see on the news are interviews of the actual people that are involved in particular issues.

railroadearth6
railroadearth6
7/20/2010 09:35 PM

smokey82832 7/20/2010 11:15 AM • [Report Abuse]

good article...this is total BS. If they can record me then I should be able to record them back

one thing I cant figure out lord is how is this BW bushes fault?

WHO THE FECK IS BW BUSHE?

chronicwaffles
chronicwaffles
7/21/2010 12:53 PM

They should might it illegal to film "cops" in these states to. If I can't film them, they can't film me.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use