General Discussion Forum

Got Something to Say?

52 Total Messages • Page 3 of 4 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 
BSA is fucked.
GratefulFrederick
GratefulFrederick
10/5/2012 08:19 AM

that's a bit harsh. have you gotten a deer yet?

GratefulFrederick
GratefulFrederick
10/5/2012 08:30 AM

word. I had my bow drawn for 5 does last night, but they never stopped moving long enough for me to get a shot off. I WILL get one this year.

gaybaser
gaybaser
10/5/2012 02:26 PM

So, was giving each other hand jobs at boy scout camp gay?

All those straight kids sure knew how to give handy. I thought it was for a merit badge.

Danimal
Danimal
10/5/2012 05:28 PM

After reading the story about this kid being denied his eagle scout rank, I wouldn't be signing my son up for cub scouts regardless of whether or not he's old enough to understand. Not saying whats right for me is right for Freds family but I thouht it was pretty sad and I would not have my children representing that organization. I also found out that BSA gets preferential access to federal land. That should stop here.

danialhauger
danialhauger
10/6/2012 09:26 AM

Hi, this is a tough one for me, because i am heavily envolved in scouting. I was a scout all my life, and had the fortunate oppuritunity to work at an amazing camp. Now 34 and with a son of my own, i have the blessing of being able to go back and work there again. The expiernces my son gets to have there are amazing, and being an everyother weekend dad, the fact i get my son for the whole summer and get to spend it at camp with him is awesome.

I can tell you most people that work there are ok with gays, the scouts say no to them.

But troops are left to make their own decisions, troops are usually sponsored by churches and thus the churches values decide whats allowed in there troop. But if an individual troop was ok with a gay scout then the scout can stay. So really its up to those in your community involved in the program. If you dont like the way the local troop is ran, have some kids, join scouts, and make the troop what you want it to be.

PooDolla
PooDolla
10/6/2012 09:51 AM

I never did the Scouts thing when I was younger. It never really appealed to me at the time. I think it was all the meetings and having to wear those goofy uniforms that made me never want to join.

PooDolla
PooDolla
10/6/2012 09:57 AM

It was always the nerdy kids that seemed to be in the Scouts when I was a kid.

Danimal
Danimal
10/6/2012 10:37 AM

I felt the same way when I was a kid. Just didn't seem like fun. My dad was into it when he was young but he never pushed me to do it.

PooDolla
PooDolla
10/6/2012 10:39 AM

For sure. Sports were just more appealing to me. Or riding bikes and skateboards and sll that good stuff.

GratefulFrederick
GratefulFrederick
10/6/2012 05:30 PM

danielhauger - thanks for your input man.

dan and poo - it definitely trends toward nerds...nbd. nerds are people too.

streakacrossnj
streakacrossnj
10/6/2012 06:52 PM

Wow i just wrote like a 3 page response to this and it didn't post, Wtf

streakacrossnj
streakacrossnj
10/6/2012 06:57 PM

Ughhhh

Fuck the BSA Ferd, i was a double eagle scout, its a very rare award and requires a ridiculous amount of involvment and work. When the supreme court upheld its ruling earlier this year, I renounced my involvement to the organization and sent back all of my awards. Shit is fuckin stupid man, a pack leader could be kicked out next week for his personal sexual preference and by staying involved it sends a message to all the cubs that discrimination is alright, especially against gays.

streakacrossnj
streakacrossnj
10/6/2012 06:59 PM

Daniel you are wrong about if the troop is cool with gays its alright, because as in this kids case when you apply for eagle once you have completed all of the requirements it goes to the council who must sign off on it.

mattland
mattland
10/6/2012 10:34 PM

Discrimination is bad...mmkay

damoncory
damoncory
10/7/2012 07:23 AM

Being a scout/eagle scout had a huge impact on my life in a positive way, and there are many volunteers and fathers that truly care about making boys into strong men & leaders

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use