General Discussion Forum

Got Something to Say?

73 Total Messages • Page 3 of 5 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 
Festival Documentary
rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 10:12 AM

@Stagger~I understand your concerns, I really do. The through line of what I am doing is to document MY experience, that of a concert photographer, and as such, we are not going to be sending out crews and filming folks at random. It;s actually less about the festivals and more about what it's like to do what I do. The folks who have ended up in my segments are well aware of what is going on, and are positive about the production and it's purpose.

Plain and simple, the lawyers who are handling the rights and releases in question for the show I am filming won't be letting us use anything they are not dead certain is completely free and clear. They've drilled what to do in every situation into my head, and their main point is, if I think something is questionable for use, stop filming.

phishmann
phishmann
3/7/2012 10:16 AM

Lets leave the world out of this.

staggerlee1980
staggerlee1980
3/7/2012 10:21 AM

Why Rex? Why do you NEED to make this documentary?

That's what I don't get...why exploit it? Why can't you just enjoy what you do, and leave it at that. What is so important about it, that you need to document it?

That's my issue. I just don't see what it serves to the community....I see it as self serving...at the expense of the community...

like ONE more fucking thing in life that HAS to be exploited...can't just enjoy it for enjoyments sake...

DudeOnCouch
DudeOnCouch
3/7/2012 10:39 AM

sounds like a few of you should be a little more discreat with your activities this is america where certin things are illegal so if u got a problem with people with a cammera filming then you need to smart up fool.. u should be asking for permission to film others but at the same time no can really say anything about it its all protected by the constitution so film on just be smart about what you put in the public eye film or otherwise..

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 10:58 AM

I have a variety of reasons Stagger...

-Promoting the music and art I love

-Urging folks to be more creative in their daily lives

-Reminding folks that life is short and that they don't need to be trapped in their lives.

The folks I have been talking with share a common thread:They are happy with their paths in life. They may not be rich, but they are doing what they love and getting by. They are using their own inner thoughts to create something that is unique, and sharing it with the world. That's what they do, and what I intend to do as well.

You're not the first person to raise these and similar concerns. I am convinced of the merits of what I am doing, as it manages to spread the word of bands and get their music to new audiences, attempts to inspire folks to bring art into their lives and urges folks to not waste a precious second of their lives.

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:04 AM

Also...I really think there is going to be a lot less of the whole "Walking around festivals with a camera crew" thing in what I am doing than you think. The footage we are gathering will be much more focused and contained. No one who does not wish to be involved will be onscreen outside of vast crowd shots. This isn't about getting spun out wooks to say something silly, it's about bands trying to succeed, artists trying to make a living selling their work, and a music photographer who wants to get people to have a little more fun and be creative while doing so.

staggerlee1980
staggerlee1980
3/7/2012 11:09 AM

That explanation does not make logical sense Rex. It seems more self promotional. What is you target audience?

Again...this really seems detrimental to the festival experience. In what way is that going to help?

There are many ways to bring exposure to art...this does not seem to serve the other artists as much as you...at the expense of the artists fans...

I just can't see how the very very few positives outweigh the very large negatives.

Again...who is the target audience?

I like you Rex and I know what you do for the scene, and the love you have for it....but step back for a second. Who is this really helping...and do you think that help is worth possibly ruining someones festival...even if its one person. Do the potential positives outweigh the VERY obvious negatives?

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:15 AM

@Smokie~We won't be filming stuff we don't intend on using. Hours spent on the pilot were focused specifically on combing crowd shots to find and blur any illicit activity.

As for intent, that is surely true. Some of the meetings I have been in have been dead scar when they asked if I could do this or that. I have always maintained final edit rights, and approval as a non negotiable point to prevent any misuse of what I am doing!

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:15 AM

@Smokie~We won't be filming stuff we don't intend on using. Hours spent on the pilot were focused specifically on combing crowd shots to find and blur any illicit activity.

As for intent, that is surely true. Some of the meetings I have been in have been dead scar when they asked if I could do this or that. I have always maintained final edit rights, and approval as a non negotiable point to prevent any misuse of what I am doing!

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:21 AM

@Stagger~List me the obvious negatives, if you could. Not typing or saying that in any nasty way, just wanting to hear your points.

I typed a longer and more descriptive answer, but jambase ate it. I kinda blasted out my follow up attempt. Getting a little crunched for time, but am trying to stay involved in this as best I can.

I will say that my attempting to make a program about the musicians working in the scene, the artists who sell their work at fests and show and the people who are living their dreams in an effort to inspire others to do the same is my goal.

marcsmall1
marcsmall1
3/7/2012 11:22 AM

Rex- No need to explain yourself.

staggerlee1980
staggerlee1980
3/7/2012 11:25 AM

I'm just thinking about some poor guy who maybe works for the court system, or is a schoolteacher....and instead of having fun and raging they have to worry about the guy with the video camera. They aren't going to know your intentions....and it could very easily start to ruin their experience....maybe they don't want anyone knowing they are there....

They don't.know.you or your agenda....they just see a camera...you could work for the new for all they know....but its a shifty thing to have to worry about when you're trying to enjoy your vacation

It just shouldn't be there....

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:31 AM

The people you're mentioning will be filmed as part of a crowd at best. No one will be used in the program in a way that makes them recognizable without their explicit written permission. Otherwise we would be open to the legal tactics you described, and rightfully so.

I'm actually really glad that this discussion is taking place. Yu learn a lot about your idea's validity when you present it to folks, and defend it. I will try and answer every question asked.

rexster
rexster
3/7/2012 11:46 AM

@Puffin~Excellent! Totally up for that! Don't think anyone else would give a flying crap though! At the very least my mom might watch...

Bill33
Bill33
3/7/2012 11:48 AM

Rex=upevents

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use