General Discussion Forum

Got Something to Say?

42 Total Messages • Page 2 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 
All Good Fest car death
CavemanUM
CavemanUM
7/19/2011 07:54 AM

i don't think it will be the last one ever, but i do think it's a strong possibility that it may take a year off and/or move locations. not only is that spot getting too crowded, i think the town wants it gone

Ierner
Ierner
7/19/2011 07:55 AM

fucking sucks...

~i like car camping...

...guess im selfish or something... but fuck...

jibberjam
jibberjam
7/19/2011 07:55 AM

The town may want it gone, but I doubt a dinky little town like that is going to say no to such a huge economic boost.

Ierner
Ierner
7/19/2011 07:56 AM

i know that trips farm would probably love to have it back... might not be big enough tho...

toys
toys
7/19/2011 07:57 AM

Hasn't All Good moved twice before? Each time it got too big and annoying to the locals, so kept moving to bigger and more remote locations. It does seem like its options are limited at this point. Cut down on ticket sales to limit attendance and people having to camp in dangerous conditions, which means less money for them. Or move to a larger facility.

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
7/19/2011 07:58 AM

i mean i don't know that for a fact, but i have heard various locals say that and it seems to kind of be the word on the street. either way, i'm sure this won't help the situation

toys
toys
7/19/2011 08:00 AM

Trips Farm/Terra Alta/Sunshine Daydream is like 1/5 the size of Marvins Mountaintop in my estimation.

Ierner
Ierner

see towns that hold festivals really don't see an economic boost... maybe their beer stores do and gas stations... maybe the dollar generals do for kids looking for batteries...

but 99.99 percent of people want to get in and out and disperse away from the concentrated amounts of cops that surround the festival area...

imo

CavemanUM
CavemanUM

i love the no overlapping sets policy at all good. but when you have lineups as big as they are getting it just becomes too many people in the centralized music area. festivals that have multiple stages away from each other are able to spread the people out so that each one is not so crowded

Ierner
Ierner
7/19/2011 08:01 AM

trips farm use to hold the thing after wilmers... just sayin... and the farm is huge... they would just need to cut some shit...

~if i remember correctly...

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
7/19/2011 08:06 AM

i've always wondered just how much an area benefits economically from a festival also. i'm sure there is some direct money that walther has to pay to the town for licenses, etc. but other than that and maybe fines from people getting busted, i'm not sure how much they really benefit. i've never bought anything from those little stores in masontown ever, our last stop is always in morgantown or before

toys
toys
7/19/2011 08:08 AM

Local communities usually get the most economic benefit by the taxes they collect off the ticket sales.

Hollowdweller
Hollowdweller
7/19/2011 08:08 AM

I went to All Good 2004 had to park in the very back and carry our gear to nearly the very front to camp.

I vowed not to return again unless the lineup was superb.

A few years later we did only to find you could car camp and have been going since.

However I totally agree that I feel 1000% safer at festivals w/o car camping.

I've been stuck in the camping area and couldn't get out on Sunday before where if they parked the cars separately anyone could get out.

The big problem with that at All good is given the number of people it could take you hours to set up camp if they did it that way.

I could see a scenario where they parked all the cars on the steep places and then had about 50 farmers with hay wagons circulation to haul all campers to the flat no car camping areas.

I thought the festival was run well this year, maybe best ever, but I do think they are overselling it to the point they have to cram campers everywhere and don't have enough "public transportation" to take campers to flat areas.

I'd gladly pay say 200 bucks for a ticket if they could cut off sales say at 15,000 people.

My main complaint last 2 years is it's so crowded that it's hard to stand shoulder to shoulder for hours to see the bands you want. Makes my legs sore and you can't set down.

I think maybe they should introduce a dinner break and that would cut down on crowding.

Hollowdweller
Hollowdweller
7/19/2011 08:12 AM

Caveman and Toys,

The county made Walter put up a bond this year to pay for all the police and fire.

The community benefits SOME from the festival but not as much as you might think.

Really to get community support they are going to have to make sure the local area benefits more than they have in the past.

The local paper there ran an article contrasting how much the community in TN benefits from Bonaroo vs Masontown and All Good. Apparently Bonaroo adds a ticket fee that actually is earmarked for the county. I'd be happy to pay an extra 10 bucks or so if it would go back to the community. Preston county doesn't have many good jobs, some coal and timber and that's it.

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
7/19/2011 08:15 AM

interesting

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use