NIKE: KANYE, NAS, KRS-ONE

NIKE's AF1 25th Anniversary-inspired Song
"Better Than I've Ever Been," Available on iTunes Feb. 20th

(February 15, 2007 - New York, NY) The much talked about collaboration on the NIKE- commissioned hip-hop track, "Better Than I've Ever Been" which features Kanye West, Nas and KRS-One, and produced by Rick Rubin, will be available on February 20th on iTunes.

Twenty-five years ago NIKE released the Air Force 1 to satisfy the demands of the most uncompromising and forceful players in the game of basketball. In 1982, the Air Force 1 became the first basketball shoe to feature NIKE Air technology. The comfort and protective qualities of the AF1 changed the game forever and created a platform that launched NIKE's long-running legacy in performance basketball.

Embraced and revered by the basketball community the Air Force 1's impact was felt way beyond its hard court roots. The shoe had something unique about it and was embraced as quickly off the court as it was on. The urban street culture that gave birth to this music scene is the same culture that has supported the Air Force 1 from its inception. In 2006, NIKE commemorated the Air Force 1's 25th anniversary. As part of these celebrations, NIKE commissioned a stellar cast of artists to record an original track that pays homage to the perseverance of the AF1 and the community that has championed it.

A remix of the track by DJ Premier and featuring the addition of Rakim, titled "Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been DJ Premier Remix)" will also be available on iTunes for purchase. The tracks will be sold individually and all NIKE and artist proceeds from the sale of the track will be donated to the "NIKE Youth Sport for Change Fund," to support youth programs that use sport as a catalyst for change.

Track 1: "Better Than I've Ever Been" featuring Kanye West, Nas & KRS-One & produced by Rick Rubin

Windows :: Real

Track 2: "Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been DJ Premier Remix)" featuring Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One & Rakim, remixed by DJ Premier

Windows :: Real

All NIKE and artist proceeds will be donated to the "NIKE Youth Sport for Change Fund," to support youth programs that use sport as a catalyst for change throughout the world. This fund will be administered by Charities Aid Foundation America (www.cafamerica.org).

[Published on: 2/14/07]

Comments

cuttyfives Thu 2/15/2007 10:35AM

gonna have to download this off soulseek stat

jvhalley star Thu 2/15/2007 11:04AM

Is anyone else here gagging on:
1. the fact that this story is posted here. Thanks Jambase, for a history of the basketball shoe and a big free ad for Nike and Itunes. I feel so enlightened.
2. KRS-ONE, Nas, and Kanye hopping into bed with NIKE!? Sell out city. They've each made a living from bashing corporations/bling and talking shit on MC's who slut themselves to said corporations. What a bunch of hypocrites. Boooo.

superstar007 Thu 2/15/2007 11:12AM

when was the last time anybody talked about knowledge rains supreme-1,they would have collaborated with osama bin laden to restart their careers.

linsbee314 Thu 2/15/2007 11:13AM

jvhalley - Agreed! Am I reading my browser correctly? Is this Jambase or sellouttomoneyhungrycorporations.com?

I hope Nike takes their Nike Youth Sport for Change program to the Indonesian kids earning only $1 a week to make the damn AF1 in their sweatshops!

Total BULLSHIT!

windorascrub star Thu 2/15/2007 11:24AM

windorascrub

i agree all the way
when i opened the article i though that it had to be about some other nike. good job jambase. once again showing everyone that you are more like rollingjamstonebase.com. i would hope most people who are on this website have alternative styled thoughts about corporate America. i do believe nike was one of the first companies ridiculed for using sweat shop labor. the only thing left to say is LAME.

icculus2811 starstarstarstar Thu 2/15/2007 11:34AM

Sounds good to me. Nas is the shizle and I grew up listening to KRS-One and BDP.

What I want to know is the title of the track in the new Nike commercial with LeBron, Nash, et al. That one sounds sick...

freetime3 star Thu 2/15/2007 11:35AM

freetime3

giiiiiiiive me 2 puuuuuuuur

hofmannsbicycle star Thu 2/15/2007 11:36AM

Pretty low Jambase. I consider this scene totally open minded in regards to tunes, but then just give us the tunes. Nike and Microsoft ads will put this scene right where it doesn't belong. I was attracted to this jam scene b/c it was unique, not GENERIC.
keep the home style vibe alive!

bluenotez starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/15/2007 11:44AM

bluenotez

jambase is brilliant. you know they only put this up so people could bash on it. gives us something to do.

rselover star Thu 2/15/2007 11:45AM

I refer disgruntled readers to the iPhone article from a few months back. It's not that Jambase endorses this crap, it's just that they have low standards when it comes to news.

Kayceman Thu 2/15/2007 11:50AM

Kayceman

Have you people listened to these tracks? The second track is fucking dope, that's why we put it up there... It's a free listen to a great track by some legendary artists... get a grip.

cuttyfives Thu 2/15/2007 12:12PM

In the words of Arnold "STOP WHINING!" I know this is JAM site but ill take Dj Premiere,Rakim, Nas, Krs, over most of the "crunchy" groups discussed on this site anyday. Do yourselves a favor if you are sippin on hateraid today. D/L some tracks off Gang Starr Moment of Truth or Nas Illmatic. I own air force 1's..they cost less then birkenstocks...Corporate America..who do you think pays the bills at Jambase...your generous donations or the Nissan adds? JV i am gagging on you labeling people as sell outs. I am sure you would take the moral high ground and pass on the money. Also, the NBA is getting great again like in the 90's. Bluenotez...interesting point...

livin_grateful star Thu 2/15/2007 12:17PM

who cares....

cuttyfives Thu 2/15/2007 12:22PM

i didnt even see you can play the tracks here..."I got a right to be a little bit snobbish"- Kayne, he does, he fuckin rips it. These MC's OWN those NERDS who rap over sts9 stuff. STS9 needs to cut that out by the way. The track produced by Ruck Rubin is NASTY!!!!

nuke_ticketbastard starstar Thu 2/15/2007 12:34PM

regardless of wether or not this should appear on jam base i can only say this - if u let'm nikes gonna screw ya , if u wanna keep it real gotta rock those pumas! - sign me up rick rubin i am a freestyle madman!!!!

All Loving Liberal White Guy Thu 2/15/2007 12:36PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

while these artists and tracks are awesome sauce, it should be acknowleged that nike has been using slave labor from childern in southeast who work for a nickel and a bowl of rice each day

linsbee314 Thu 2/15/2007 12:47PM

Kayceman - I'm disappointed man! Since it's a good song, I shouldn't care if it is supported/promoted by Nike? What if it was a good song promoted by gay bashers or woman beaters or some other group who has no respect for human life?

I would like to think of Jambase as a social conscious community that cares about the impact of what it promotes. Nike supports child labor - pretty much slave labor - plain and simple.

Kayceman - so sad dude!

Kayceman Thu 2/15/2007 01:46PM

Kayceman

linsbee314 - You have to be kidding right? So i assume you wear nothing but home made clothes, no shoes from any factory, drive a hybrid / no scratch that - you only ride the bus, don't buy food at a grocery store, never listen to any artist that has ever gone astray... shit, Michael Jackson is the fucking King of Pop and he always will be - i get "Off the Wall" whenever i can. Do i think Mikey Jackson is a great guy? No. Do i think he should touch little boys? No. Do i listen to his old shit, hellls yes... Do Dead Prez hate white folks? Maybe, do i rock "Lets Get Free" on a weekly basis - of course... and Trey, well, Trey is on hbomb, don't listen to him either... Do you hate the NBA and NCAA b/c they all wear Nikes? How about all the little kids walking around in Nikes? Do you preach at them? Yes, Nike doesn't practice the best production acts around, but neither do many other companies. Nike is giving money to charity on this one, and they are promoting some dope tracks. It's music first. I'm not asking you to buy Nikes, or even buy this disc, it's a great track and we wanted to share it. Oh, and just by using this computer you are probably warming the atmosphere... take 'er easy folks.

All Loving Liberal White Guy Thu 2/15/2007 02:18PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

remember that episode of south park where everyone was driving hybrid cars and then there was the problem of SMUG. and then mr. garrison devoloped that one driving thingy where you had to sit on a pole? was that the same episode ?

All Loving Liberal White Guy Thu 2/15/2007 02:26PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

oh yeah, didn't they make their own clothes on Little House on the Prarie? I know they do on polygimist compounds. Mormons.......

kmmental Thu 2/15/2007 02:40PM

while the music on this album might be rad (I haven't heard it) I still think this article is absurd. Putting everything else aside, corporations, slave labor, all of that stuff, you have to remember that we come to this site for music, not to hear a history of the air force 1. go ahead, publicize the album, fine by me. But the whole thing about nike isn't what we are here for

linsbee314 Thu 2/15/2007 03:07PM

Kayceman - Harsh dude! What crawled up your ass today? You're probably a litter bug too, aren't you?

Look - I can't say I'm perfect, but I make a great effort to stay informed and not support companies that are obviously disgraceful.

Fine, I get your point, but kmmental made a good point - isn't this a music site? My bad for getting rowdy about the social conscious bit, but I guess I forgot we were talking about music since over half the article was about fucking shoes!

The way I look at it, Jambase just gave Nike long strong head! Kanye et al are pissed they had to share.

bigrivermusic Thu 2/15/2007 03:21PM

It's the shoes man!

jmintz Thu 2/15/2007 03:37PM

jmintz

"Nike supports child labor - pretty much slave labor - plain and simple."

This statement may have been true about 10 years ago, but not so much any more.

Fact is that Nike was the biggest fish in the pond, and thus the target of the accusations. Meanwhile, Adidas and Reebok's labor practices weren't much better (if at all).

Did a 25 page research paper on this exact topic while getting my Master's degree. If you want, I can recite facts, figures, and remedies the corporation took.

However, I won't. I'll just say get off your high horse and speak fact instead of regurgitating stuff you heard on TV.

If you don't like the topic, don't read it. But don't bash the site.

Kayceman Thu 2/15/2007 03:37PM

Kayceman

I feel ya on the shoe bit, maybe folks don't wanna hear about it... and yeah, perhaps my quick-hit response was a tad harsh. I guess i just remember rockin' my Nike Air Force 1s (i couldn't believe mom let me get 'em!) and bumpin' Run D.M.C. before basketball games thinking life couldn't get better. Some how sneakers are linked to rap, some how Nike is involved with music... i hope y'all dig the tracks.

Jenny Jen starstarstar Thu 2/15/2007 03:52PM

Jenny Jen

Oh God, here we go again. "This is a jamband site, only for hippies...!" "Music is music, free your mind...!" "Corporations should never step in to music...!" "I'm on the internet!" "No, you're not!" "Yes I AM!" "But you can't eat anymore Nachos!" "It's ok, I'm a limo driver!"

lovelivedos Thu 2/15/2007 04:07PM

lovelivedos

thanks to kayceman for witty and on point reply. all three of these guys are awesome lyrists. lookin forward to hearing the tracks.

mreezal Thu 2/15/2007 04:36PM

mreezal

man kayceman i didnt kno u were so hood

Kayceman Thu 2/15/2007 05:08PM

Kayceman

21 years of competitive basketball will do that to a fella...

happydestiny Thu 2/15/2007 06:06PM

happydestiny

kayceman---- With 100% on this one, dope tracks, and a legit (and funny) response. People...relax...RELAX!!!

birkenjam starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/15/2007 08:59PM

if people didnt have so much time to fucking whine when the news isnt about umphreys mgee the jam scene may actually make an impact on the larger culture of our society. hate if you will but atleast artists like kanye west, nas, and krs-one are getting the alternative messages most of us believe in out to the MAINSTREAM MEDIA.. the fact is rap is recognized at the grammys every year and jam isnt. im not hating on jam, because like greenhaus im a phish geek to the end but there are reasons for this

All Loving Liberal White Guy Thu 2/15/2007 09:38PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

Does anybody ever read the Buddyhead site? They called Rick Rubin the "fattest vegan ever".

hippiehater Fri 2/16/2007 12:13AM

hippiehater

Now we got a nice, quiet little jam community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around, bothering our citizens, Nike. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off company. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear?
Keep your ugly fuckin' goldbrickin' ass out of my jam community Nike!

hippiehater Fri 2/16/2007 12:15AM

hippiehater

Oh and just to clear up my previous point - I don't mind rap or hip hop or whatever the hell the kids call it today I just don't like nike.

hippiehater Fri 2/16/2007 12:24AM

hippiehater

Hey Kayceman - as i sit here reading the response's it is freezing ass cold out side which leads me to believe one thing ---- GLOBAL WARMING IS A FUCKING CONSPIRACY CONJURED UP BY THE SOCIALISTIC (oops I meant secular progresive) LEFT WING --- PEACE AND LOVE

bobertjohnson starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/16/2007 03:32AM

who cares?

linsbee314 Fri 2/16/2007 06:42AM

jmintz - You're a jerk. You don't know what I know. I wrote my own college papers and I don't watch TV. I don't buy Reebok or Adidas either doofus.

High horse? Screw off! You don't know me b-ach! I'm not some tree-hugging-speak-out-of-my-ass-hippie! I speak what I know and I'll bash whatever I fucking want! 1st Amendment people!!

jmintz Fri 2/16/2007 06:48AM

jmintz

"You don't know what I know. I wrote my own college papers and I don't watch TV. I don't buy Reebok or Adidas either doofus."

Great, man. I'm happy for you. That doesn't make you right, though, in this case. Again, all I ask is you get your facts straight.

Rock on, brother.

pinkfloydfan420 starstarstar Fri 2/16/2007 07:22AM

pinkfloydfan420

Yea it's shameless promotion, but what isn't these days. I mean, any concert you go to is plastered with advertisements, Jay-Z announced his comeback on Bud commercials, jambase has advertisements on every page (although not that many) & golden nugget casino pays people to tatoo their logo on their forehead. The bottom line for me is that Nas is tight and Rick's good producer. Kayne & KRS one are cool in my book, so I can dig it. The tracks sound pretty cool, even if Nike sponsored them.

The1AndOnlyDJCT starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/16/2007 08:51AM

Man, all you people bitching about this and that need to grow up, seriously.

thefknreverend star Fri 2/16/2007 09:49AM

thefknreverend

you suck jambase

cuttyfives Fri 2/16/2007 10:29AM

i am rocking air force ones until i die. i dont give a fuck about indonesian children, all you hippies bitching better be out helping communties if you feel the need to be so outspoken abouth this issue. Capitalism rules, if you disagree, you must be a broke ass newjack. C>R>E>A>M

cuttyfives Fri 2/16/2007 10:33AM

pinkfloyd...that jay z song is good, his comeback concert this summer was unreal...i saw it, i also saw cheese 2 years ago NYE and UMPh 1 year ago for new years and those shows dont have shit on the reasonable doubt cocnert. Reading these boards reminds me of why i am such a sacrasic dick to all the space cadets burnout losers i see in lots all the time

cuttyfives Fri 2/16/2007 10:46AM

my electric toothbrush...kegerator....great innovations that i can have due to capitalism

cuttyfives Fri 2/16/2007 10:46AM

and my most importanly, my NEXIUM

Andrew starstarstarstar Fri 2/16/2007 11:24AM

Andrew

I'd just like to add that I'm rockin a brand new pair of limited Mid Dunks and I think they are the shit! I thank Jambase for having the balls to report about "music" in all it's forms. You guys who get angry that this article is not about jambands are depressing and annoying. Nothing is wrong with jambands, I grew up on em, and nothing is wrong with jambase.com. I will be the first to admit it's jambase.com's branching out into many genres that has kept them relevant in my book. Regardless, you can customize this site to only give you articles on bands you like, so learn how to do that and stop being vaginal. please

paulygparty Fri 2/16/2007 03:39PM

I miss Dead Prez.

I wish they didn't suck now AKA rap with Jay-Z.

Jake. Fri 2/16/2007 05:16PM

gimmmeee twooooo puurrrrrrr ERR FORRCCEEE ONE!

SuperDee Fri 2/16/2007 05:45PM

SuperDee

i take offense in Andrew's comment: "stop being vaginal"

what's wrong with having a vagina, man? i mean really! vagina's rule!

;)

stoops starstarstar Fri 2/16/2007 09:21PM

stoops

krs will always be my favorite mc for the overall substance and good old heart. nas has some good stuff too. kanye's a winey bitch who needs to rub some vagasil on his "i'm a poor hood-brother and it's all bush's fault" routine.
as for nike, basketball, af1's and the like: it's supposed to be about the music so "my names paul & that's between yall!" i use jambase often as a fun resource and i struggle to believe that their intent was to spark dialogue regarding capitalism, conspiracy, and all the nasty social implications of corporate america.
back to the music though: i can understand frustrations from some kids. this sight is generally seen as an alternative source for music happenings, not like rolling stone who gives the cover to anyone with a wardrobe malfunction. besides sounding really cool, the reason i'm interested in moe, mule, phish, and galactic (and krs for that matter) is because these artists have a genuine desire to make music. yes, they all make good money but that's obviously secondary. kanye had a few videos, a pair of albums, and is friends with jamie fox. so why should we entertain his unfounded conspiracy theories about hurricanes wiping out black people? and truly, do any of us want to support an artist(loose interpretation) who would mess his $300 brooks brothers pants over not winning a grammy. let me ask a more important question, why would krs lend his credibility to such a gimmick of a cause and partner with this big-mouthed terd?
i grew up listening to hip hop, probably more because it pissed off my mother better than gnr could ever do but i grew out of it. i'll occasionally buy or download some mos def or new beastie boys, but i bought a new outcast cd last week and it's still blowing donkey balls. all i could think was from aquemini to this crap; what's happened to these dudes? look, what happened and is happening is that rap started out as a movement with some real substance behind it. it has since largely become a means for short-thinking, slum-glorifying, pretenda-thugs to "make g's" without damaging their street cred! kanye is a new breed but better examples would be yung jeezy, lil wayne, lil bow wow, masta p, p diddy, deez nuts(joke). bottom line: getting rich is cool, but selling garbage to your community is a gurpy move. that goes for rap, rock, reggae, soul, blues, folk, r&b, jazz, christian, gospel, latin, country, salsa, and f-in bluegrass too. it also goes for nike, big business, government, michael moore, bush, gore, me, you, and everyone we know. listen to what you like but try and be informed in your purchases. i know jay z played with phish & claims he's "raps grateful dead" but having your own clothes, porking beyonce, and driving a caddie is good for daps; it doesn't make you a roll model. the dead wore new balance before they were cool, pigpen used to get drunk and do janis's crusty, whisky-drinkin ass, but they were & are cool because of the MUSIC.
i just have to respond to two posts on the thread:
to that kid,cuttyfives, that would rather see jayz's show than cheese's: more power to ya bro but where you lead i will not follow!
and to the originator of this masterpiece, kayceman:
you should write what you like. but i too have invested decades of my life in competative basketball, and i too was at one point in life, stoked about my new sneakers. ratm would get me off during pre games. but implying that nike, or shiny new shoes or anything else that is simply just material are linked to hip-hop just sends a message that raps current infatuation with fluff over substance is or should be accepted. please try and use this platform to further RAP, the rhythm and poetry, while ending rap the monkey show circus act.

hippiehater Fri 2/16/2007 09:34PM

hippiehater

Let me add to what cuttyfives said --- I like Lamp!

hippiehater Sat 2/17/2007 12:46AM

hippiehater

For all the haters out there: When a natural disaster is about to occur it is set up so that the state has to ask the federal government for help - in the case of 'nasty ass Katrina' - the state of Lousianna did not ask for help - if BUSH would have jumped in y'all would have tried to call him a dictator!
YO STOOPS 'deez nutz' thats real! lol

cuttyfives Sat 2/17/2007 12:33PM

reasonable doubt concert better than the above mentioned. any other jigga concert i would not buy tickets too > Its just reasonable doubt itslef is a top 3 hiphop albums of all time in moy book.

EVILFUNK star Sat 2/17/2007 01:17PM

EVILFUNK

Southpark should do a followup episode where the super crunchy college kids from the hippy jamband festival grow a lousy decade older and sell the fuck out!

KRS 1 and Nike...what the fuck?!?!? At this point I expect this kind of thing from Jambase but for KRS to go out like a corporate shoe salesman...FUCK THAT! I GUESS ANYONE CAN BE BOUGHT! SHAMEFULL, KRS 1! WORK CLEAN!

HIPPIEHATER SAID IT BEST: "Keep your ugly fuckin' goldbrickin' ass out of my jam community Nike!"

turner2914 Sat 2/17/2007 02:00PM

its stupid to be hating on this article. accept all types of music. and nike is sweet.

beadiamondsomday starstarstarstarstar Sun 2/18/2007 10:09AM

beadiamondsomday

first off i want the say i just wasted 10 minutes of my life, second i want to agree w/ the LOVELY superdee(who ROCKED out on jamcruise) and say vaginas do rule. and so do nike's. and id like to give a shout out to my main man, the KAYCEMAN. didnt know you played ball, i did too and ill tell you nike's rock. and nas is the fucking man i even liked hip hop is dead, oh yeah corporations are cool and so is the stock market. i dont make any of my clothes and i occasionly buy them from the mall, hell ill even shop at wallmart and not feel guilty about it, im ignorant like that. and the SMUG episode was not the same as the flying machine that you had to sit on and suck the thingee but it still beat the airline companies. HATS OFF TO YA JAMBASE, THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK AND KEEPING IT FRESH, these threads sure do get stupid

All Loving Liberal White Guy Sun 2/18/2007 11:34PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

i'm rockin a pair of PF Flyers that I found at a thrift store. and yes, vagina's rule too.

hippiehater Mon 2/19/2007 11:43AM

hippiehater

Maude Lebowski: The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

The Dude: Oh yeah?

Maude Lebowski: Yes. They don't like hearing it. And, find it difficult to say. Whereas, without bating an eye, a man will refer to his "dick" or his "rod" or his "Johnson."

The Dude: "Johnson?"

hippiehater Mon 2/19/2007 11:44AM

hippiehater

you'll like that one, huh, hot buttered dingle(johnson)berry---lol

HOPEFULPHAN star Mon 2/19/2007 01:35PM

RAP IS CRAP!

All Loving Liberal White Guy Mon 2/19/2007 09:41PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

Anybody ever see that movie called Fear of a Black Hat??? It's funny as balls. It's from the early 90's and is a satire on the rap industry in the way that Spinal Tap was on metal. What about CB4. The best movie that Chris Rock ever did. And it was before he was famous. How about that resturaunt called BIG ASS BISCUIT?

Remember PM DAWN? What a crock of patchouli shit.

Andrew Wed 2/21/2007 09:08PM

Andrew

Fear of a Black Hat was great! haha. Almost forgot that one.