DEER CREEK FOR SALE

From www.theindychannel.com:

Verizon Wireless Music Center
NOBLESVILLE, Ind. -- A "for sale" sign is going up at the Verizon Wireless Music Center (Deer Creek) in the Indianapolis suburb of Noblesville.

The 203-acre outdoor amphitheater is surrounded by new development, and a sale of the property could mean an end to live concerts there.

Los Angeles-based Live Nation is listing the music center with an Indianapolis commercial real estate company.

A representative of the real estate company, CB Richard Ellis, said the venue will sell to the top bidder, even if that isn't an entertainment company.

With a huge, new outdoor mall being built nearby -- and the area booming -- sellers believe the possibilities are endless.

"We're thinking maybe something in line with what's going on out there now -- kind of a mixed use development with office, retail, industrial," said Nick Aterburn of CB Richard Ellis.

Verizon Wireless owners said their decision to test the market doesn't mean a sale is imminent and that they are committed to the 2007 concert season regardless of any potential sale.

Aterburn said he hopes to have several potential buyers lined up within three to four months.

[Published on: 12/20/06]

Comments

Promontory Rider Wed 12/20/2006 01:00PM

Promontory Rider

How about a nitrous bar

thesaxophonist star Wed 12/20/2006 01:08PM

thesaxophonist

i think it all went down hill for DC in 95 when the pricks stormed the fence
poor news

saintstephen210 star Wed 12/20/2006 01:09PM

saintstephen210

TAHAT SUCKS.live nation must be affiliated with satan inc.

MoeString Wed 12/20/2006 01:10PM

MoeString

Deer Creek is wonderful...I live about 30 min away...It is one of the best Venues around. I went to almost every show last year...i say almost cause i missed a few country shows and buffett...it sells out to quick... And i plan on getting a job there this spring...It was home to the worst Dead event ever....Gate Crashers Suck... I love this place... IM starting a petition to keep it a music venue...Whos with me???? LET THERE BE SONGS TO FILL THE AIR

FormulaOBX Wed 12/20/2006 01:42PM

Mike Gordon should buy it....

WestSideTony starstarstarstar Wed 12/20/2006 02:05PM

Good story. Only Jambase would cover this.

WestSideTony starstarstarstar Wed 12/20/2006 02:06PM

It would be a tragedy to lose this summer shed to another shopping mall or some other bullshit. We have enough urban sprawl in America. So many memories and a lot of good brain burnt. I seen every Grateful Dead show there (Close Encounter Space from 89) or the fat naked guy rolling down the hill at 92 show 1st night. I saw every Phish show there. My last Phish concert was at the Creek (thanks Trey aka Wilson) I danced with some beautiful girl from California all night, she gave me a big french kiss at the end the show. Can't be beat Freakin at the Creek. Don't tear it down you heartless bastards.

hatfieldsbro starstarstarstarstar Wed 12/20/2006 02:18PM

lets all donate and buy it all the jam fans

phishphreak2009 star Wed 12/20/2006 03:11PM

phishphreak2009

this sucks......... BUY IT PHIL, TREY, SOMEBODY!!!!!!!!!

MoeString Wed 12/20/2006 03:35PM

MoeString

...Protest...
Help Deer Creek

bigrivermusic starstarstar Wed 12/20/2006 03:42PM

Good riddens!!!! Hamilton County has made a mint off bogus "undercover" busts on paying customers (myself included at GD in 1995.) Just drive by the multi-million dollar courthouse (The House That Jerry Built.) I've boycotted since 1995 and would rather see it as a strip mall than a place to illegally bust ticketholders. I had some great times there but...not bummed at all!

kvoelkel Wed 12/20/2006 03:45PM

kvoelkel

i say we all chip in and buy it and have a summer-long festy year after year

Falcor Wed 12/20/2006 04:38PM

Falcor

wow. nitrous bar. didnt think too much before adding that comment, huh?

insignia star Wed 12/20/2006 05:34PM

that the best idea i ever heard kvoelkel.. i got 40$$ right now

heynowBeKynd Wed 12/20/2006 06:45PM

heynowBeKynd

I live very close to deer creek (in Noblesville). My first real concert was there when I was probably 10. I was a little girl going to the local walmart watching the phish heads walk around, seeing big trailers with bumper stickers sparked some curiousity, I must say. Deer creek introduced me to the wonderful people in this scene, and I love it. Screw corporate development and all the business crap going up in noblesville. We have enough of a good economy already. I promise. The farmlands are getting rolled over, and deer creek seems soon to follow. It's the sight of some of the greatest shows of all time, and some historic moments too. If it does not remain a concert venue i do not know what I will do...deer creek forever...SAVE deer creek :)
peace & love ....
memories never die...

Greatwaves Wed 12/20/2006 07:08PM

Greatwaves

look at recent history... past few summers deer creek has lost most of its acts to the white river place down town which is really cool, deer creek once was cool, but as in the pic too commercial now... good ridance unfortanatly
its a metophor for the whole scene.. society and capitalism are taking over and something that was once pure and fresh and refreshing is no spoiled expensive and ready to be busted at any time

Scarphace Wed 12/20/2006 08:27PM

Scarphace

This is really sad to hear. It's sad to think that the next generation won't be able to experience this amazing venue. I feel blessed to have experienced the magic of this venue on multiple occasions and hope that everyone esle who has will pull thie energies together. It can't hurt!!!!!

Scarphace Wed 12/20/2006 08:27PM

Scarphace

DJ Saturday Baxter Wed 12/20/2006 11:07PM

DJ Saturday Baxter

you guys are crazy...capitolism is a great thing...all things come and go. its great that people are making money..why not???
are you a liberal?? or socialist? too...bad.

Bowmansbump Wed 12/20/2006 11:56PM

Bowmansbump

I guess Live Nation is pretty worried about their bottom line after buying out house of blues and posting over 3 billion dollars in revenue this year....

Nick1257 starstar Thu 12/21/2006 05:25AM

Nick1257

So sad...

gambit starstarstarstarstar Thu 12/21/2006 05:35AM

I live in Indiana and there isnt much here to begin with and now they are takeing a great place away. well it all went to hell as soon as live nation touched the place and it hasnt been the same since and with not my man mitch (GOV OF IN) at the helm Indiana is for sale.Believe DAT

MoeString Thu 12/21/2006 06:55AM

MoeString

Help me fight the cause ....join my myspace group and help

Teabagger Thu 12/21/2006 07:12AM

Teabagger

Another sad sad day for music fans everywhere. Like many of you, I have many fond memories at Deer Creek. Many more than I have at my local strip mall, that's for sure. ClearChannel/Live Nation is trying to kill our music. Fight back at all costs!

Rinosquad starstarstarstarstar Thu 12/21/2006 07:54AM

Saw my first and last Phish shows at this incredible venue. Its tops in my book. So very sad and so many memories. I remember when Umphrey's McGee would play Dead Creek campground after the three night Phish runs before anyone had any idea who they were. I met one of the most beautiful people I have ever met b/c of that venue and I contribute my musical interest to this place. Someone who has uber amounts of money and knows how great this place is needs to buy it and keep the legend alive. I always knew the untouched beauty of Noblesville would not last. Fuckin' soulless corporations.

EVILFUNK Thu 12/21/2006 10:37AM

EVILFUNK

hey, how mucth for the big circus tent the police used to set up in the lot to bust/process us for being who we are?

featherlight starstarstarstar Thu 12/21/2006 11:01AM

So sorry to hear about this... Im from Ohio and the Creek was definately more to many than can be explained in this, was the perfect get away with friendly faces in all directions... :(
happy holidays ya'll

sk8er4ever0101 star Thu 12/21/2006 03:08PM

omfg, so much sad news in the music scence this year :(

i got a few grand i would throw at it if everyone else did :P

Trashley star Thu 12/21/2006 04:23PM

Trashley

you can go to this website and sign the pettition to save deer creek! its already got a good amount of names!! http://www.petitiononline.com/vwmc/petition.html

Road To Shambala starstarstar Fri 12/22/2006 10:37AM

Road To Shambala

Maybe Trey's oxycotin dealer can buy it!

Broesau starstarstar Fri 12/22/2006 02:22PM

I love all the comments from people, help save deer creek, sign a petition. You can sign all the petitions you want, you still will not do anything to stop a private company from selling a piece of real estate to another private entity. Especially if the paper smells like patchouli. Grow up people. It's business.

Broesau starstarstar Fri 12/22/2006 02:29PM

And by the way, Deer Creek was never that cool, it was only cool because the Grateful Dead, and later phish played there for multi-night runs. If these two bands never played there, you guys never would have heard of it even. It's a cookie cutter of every other outdoor amphitheatre in America, only it is in Indiana, which means that it is worse! (Sorry to indiana people, but come one, there's fifty states, choose a better one!) The real reason everyone like it so much was the campgrounds where you could get completely wasted before and after the shows. Be real, and for god's sake, don't waste time being upset over the closing of a Live Nation venue, they're a dime a dozen.

phishhead40 Fri 12/22/2006 04:30PM

boknows...what the fuck does that have to do with the article

Guanoskimer starstar Fri 12/22/2006 05:37PM

denverguy, I think that's a little silly to say Indiana is a bad state or whatever. I think Indiana is an incredibly beautiful state, and just because you can't seem to find beauty in it doesn't mean you should be so rude.

MoeString Sat 12/23/2006 04:24PM

MoeString

MoeString Sat 12/23/2006 04:24PM

MoeString

Denverguy....Ahhh So narrow minded.... I had many eventful times at deer creek without being wasted or without seeing the dead or phish....Ive visited this place since i was 9 ... I plan on going back... Its a good place thats going to be taken over by the corporate world....It sucks and wether or not the petition works or not its worth the fucking try...stand up for something in your life...much respect..peace

Bowmansbump starstarstarstarstar Sat 12/23/2006 07:53PM

Bowmansbump

The meaning of this article is being totally misconstrued. Deer Creek is already owned by a soulless corporation--Live Nation, the largest corporate promoter in the world and owned by Clear Channel. They are selling the venue, and not necessarily to a developer who would put up a strip mall. There is still a distinct possibility that AEG (who puts on Bonaroo), or someone else with good taste, could purchase Deer Creek and turn it into an even more fantastic concert destination. So instead of being so pessimistic, maybe you all should beg AEG or another promoter with the resources to buy the venue to avoid the addition of another SuperWalmart to the world!
All is not lost!!!
Gate crashers suck!!!

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" --Frank Zappa

hurricane23 Sat 12/23/2006 08:16PM

hurricane23

Saw my only Grateful Dead show there and many great Phish shows( all but 2000 when I was boycotting)noot too mention Horde and many others. Its just a sign of the times I guess. Nothing is sacred in America anymore. Being from Indiana originally I think alot of it has to do with a lack of ticket sales. Why else would they sell it? The last few years all the bands worth seeing have played at white river in INdy because they cant sell out Deer Creek. The last band to really pack the place was Phish. And denverguy, Im living in COlorado now and its not that great.

ladymoe star Sat 12/23/2006 11:13PM

This is very sad for me hear! Some of my greatest memories have been shared with friends going to shows and camping at this venue. I must say it is one of THE BEST places to see an outdoors concert HANDS DOWN. If this place gets bought out and is no longer a place for concert goers to experience live music it would be a shame. Not to mention there will no longer be a place outside for people to go in Indiana to see top name acts within an hour to a couple hours drive. this leads me to ask----IS THERE NO LONGER A PLACE FOR MUSIC ANYMORE??? i am beginning to wonder

fwatz star Sun 12/24/2006 08:39AM

Who cares! I live 20 minutes from there and would rather drive 16 hours to 10KLF, than see a show at verizon wireless. Go support your local musicians and smaller regional festivals that are popping up all over this great country. There are so many places now for our "Family" to go where the folks are actually Grateful we're there. On top of that, stop supporting greedy corporations and cities that treat us like were criminals! Happy Holidays, Frank

Hotchkiss starstarstar Sun 12/24/2006 10:44AM

Hotchkiss

i find it hard to believe that so many people would be sad about the possible loss of such a huge venue.

i remember 99 summer tour (phish), everyone was telling me how cool deer creek is. i get there and there's nothing different than any other huge venue i've been to.

get over it.

MitchLadd Mon 12/25/2006 10:19AM

I have been going here for years. My first show was there. To anyone bashing it, you can shut up. It's the best venue in the midwest, the sound is great, no big obstructions like in cincy and even if it isn't your fav.. why would you want to lose a place to see an outdoor show? I also have been busted there and did the whole hamilton court thing but that didnt make me stop going. I love this place and will miss it every summer if we lose it. I recently moved away from Indiana and was planning on going back every summer until I'm old and grey. If you don't like it then don't go but for those of us who have had this as a home court, this sucks. If anyone wants to actively step it up and try to get sponsorship to buy it, give me a shout. I'll help out and try and put this music biz degree to use. My aim is phish22103. Peace

rojo2245 starstarstarstar Mon 12/25/2006 06:37PM

this place can go...this is the venue where the house lights were kept on during the second set of the 7/95 Dead show because of a death threat against jerry. it's just another mcamphitheater! there's a couple dozen more just like it. if the local economy demands live music then the market will find a way to provide it...probably a much cooler venue....

bigME starstarstar Tue 12/26/2006 02:53AM

It would be so sad to see Deer Creek be anything else than what it is.
I have fond memories of traveling from Michigan to Deer Creek and surrounding areas to see great shows. I met some amazing locals that will always have a place in my heart.

My first show was the unfortunate '95 disaster after that I was inveted for many other gatherings like the Hemp fest @ twin lakes and X-fest @ Deer Creek. Hey if Steph is out there reading this I'll never forget you.

Because I have been out of the country and have now moved west I have missed many of shows @ Deer Creek but I will never frget the ones that I have been to. Please keep it going I'll be back again someday I promise.

TRBLand Thu 12/28/2006 10:26AM

This is so sad...Deer Creek has been an established venue within the "Jam Scene" for years. Some of my first camp and dance memories are of this venue and its surrounding camp grounds! It was sad enough for those of us from the midwest when Verizon and Gerald R Ford began stealing the names of our most coveted getaway destinations...Star Lake became the Post-Gazette Pavillion, Deer Creek became Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, etc...but what will become of all this. They'll turn the places where we once danced and longed for the night to never end into mini-malls and parking lots. I think, regardless of your opinion of this particular venue, we should, as mucsic fans, should be looking on in sadness as yet another piece of our history becomes just that. The memories will never be relived again upon walking through the gates and seeing familiar places, remembering old times and smiling at the recollections of laughter and song. Now, once again, we will be retreating only to our minds to relive the past.
"There was a factory
Now there are mountains and rivers
You got it, you got it
We caught a rattlesnake
Now we got something for dinner
We got it, we got it
There was a shopping mall
Now it's all covered with flowers
You've got it, you've got it
If this is paradise
I wish I had a lawnmower
You've got it, you've got it"
-TH

data star Thu 12/28/2006 02:05PM

sad love that place

calicheezer starstarstarstar Sat 12/30/2006 07:03PM

calicheezer

If you Dont Like Deer Creek You are probably the weakest little idiot Like hotchkiss.

landoflizards Tue 1/2/2007 02:21PM

landoflizards

Hey at least Alpine is still standing...

edo0072 starstarstarstar Wed 1/3/2007 12:11AM

All right! This is the most DISAPPOINTING thing I think I have heard in a couple of years! SERIOUSLY! Verizon is like my second home during the summer. This is for sure the best venue around! We can't let this go! Have any of you been to River Bend in Cinnci?? IT SUCKS! Security are assholes,the don't let you tailgate, from the lawn you can barley see the stage due the the awning slanting away from the stage towards the lawn, and it is usually a little more expensive then Verizon. White River Park?? It is exactly that, a park, with a lot of security who don't let you get away with hardly anything, and no place to roam. Man let me tell you if I had the money that place would never close. I have met so many down ppl. there. We never speak outside a show but every year we I end up running into a few ppl. from previous shows. Like anybody in this damn world needs another f'in mall! I can't believe some ppl. are saying good riddance! Where the hell am I gonna see the Dead this year and pull a big gnarly bong hit while laying in the grass?? All I can say is I hope somebody notices the disappointment that I and a lot of other ppl. have and I pray someone can do something about this tragedy! Put the word out and let's pull together! Maybe you and I can save this place!! Peace.

MoeString Wed 1/3/2007 07:21PM

MoeString

woodbox star Thu 1/4/2007 11:00AM

Good! I hope it shuts down. It's just a trap for young kids to spend the next 6 years of their life locked up behind the bars of an Indiana prison. Kind brothers and sister most of whom non-violent drug offenses prayed on by Noblesville police dectives dressed like heads and buying dope becausre Indiana has no entrapment laws. F them Nazis! I know this to be fact because I came to Indiana on vacatrion and left on probation after spending 4 years of my life in prison with rapists and molesters over a few ounces of shroomz. If I had my way that would have leveled that place right after Jerry passed. R.I.P. Thanks Adam "Christmas" Jones

acomma star Thu 1/4/2007 11:36AM

acomma

edo0072, you are absolutely correct about the river bend in cincy. TERRIBLE! The security practically ruined my concert experience this summer, all assholes.

tc9 star Thu 1/4/2007 04:42PM

why that's all iam saying.......this is terrible....

steveemmerich Thu 1/4/2007 11:41PM

pricks stormed the fence
poor news

it was sketchy before that....having lived in cincy most my life.

RedHotPapa6 Fri 1/5/2007 06:02AM

FYI: Deer Creek is the venue that Live Nation makes the most money off of from all of it's venues. Fact.

Two, Alpine Valley is getting ready to shut down too.

cavemandan Sat 1/6/2007 11:12AM

Seen the dead play there the first 2 yrs they were there. The first year was bliss, no hassles...camping on site...ahhhhh.... but of course....people had to run up the hill and jump the fences...next year they had horses and police guarding the fence and no camping, so i never went back... loved the guy who opened hi sbackyard to us to camp fo rlike $3 and he had a huge pond!.... yeah buddy was super chill.... he let us camp for free since we told everybody on the lot that we could where the cool scene was.... i feel sorry for kids these days who missed out on all the super chill cool lot and music scences in the 70's and 80's...