Little Feat: The Best of Little Feat

By Phil Santala

Little Feat is the best band you have heard, but don't know. For a group that has produced hits that have been pounded into our ears both by classic rock stations and a plethora of jambands, Little Feat seems to go relatively un-noticed. That's nothing new to this group of rockers, who consistently produce great hits you listen to, but have never heard. Since Little Feat's inception as a band in 1971, they have been cursed as a consistently under-rated band. Their album Dixie Chicken (1973) was horribly unsuccessful, and the title cut was later listed in Rock and Roll's "500 songs that shaped rock and roll."

But enough about history, at least the written kind. After all it is Rhino's release of The Best of Little Feat that has my shoes sailing right now. Rhino, the same company that recently took control of the Grateful Dead's enormous vault, does a good job with the material. The liner notes are informative and expansive. And the tracks selected are representative of the band as a whole, with tracks coming from releases from 1971 through 1998.

The familiar rocking stylings of the band are here, including "Dixie Chicken," "Fat Man in the Bathtub," and "Down on the Farm," to name a few. The album has slow ballads like "Willin'" (the song that got founding member Lowell George ousted from Frank Zappa's band) and "Roll Um Easy." Also live cuts off the commercial success Waiting for Columbus (1979) include "All That You Dream" and "Oh Atlanta."

The curse of any "Best of" album is here. Track cuts often seem short, especially the two live cuts, both of which clock in at around four-and-a-half minuets each - even shorter when compared to some of the more expansive live cuts off of both Waiting for Columbus and Live at the Ram's Head. Noticeably absent from this release are the Little Feat tunes "Sailin' Shoes," "Spanish Moon," and the prophetic "Calling the Children Home." Perhaps those songs are being held back for a second greatest hits release.

Some hardcore fans of Little Feat may be apt to turn their noses up at this release, despite the fact that Rhino has done a good job of representing all the Little Feat eras. Songs from before and after the passing of founder Lowell George and the subsequent 9 year hiatus are here. This album is a solid purchase for those looking to expand the Little Feat base without purchasing the four, or so, albums it would take to do so. While you're at it, go and check out a live show. After all, it's not that often that inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame play a show at your local theater for 30 dollars a ticket.

JamBase | Worldwide
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 11/21/06]

Comments

shainhouse starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/21/2006 02:17PM

I am a bit weary because the band did not even authorize this collection, but good music is good music and this is DAMN fine music. The review is also well-written.

pheelalrights starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/21/2006 05:26PM

pheelalrights

Little Feat kept me connected to the community after Jerry's untimely demise. They are an unbelievable band. Their orginals are outstanding and their covers are timely. Check out Tenn Jed, Dark Star, etc.

kvoelkel starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/21/2006 07:34PM

kvoelkel

I think that little feat w/ lowell george is the best band ever, now this is my opinion but check out soem of their early 70's albums and a couple of shows on nugz.net. They are one of the tightest outfits to ever grace this planet. Although I never got to see them in their hay-day, the band that it still touring to this day is pretty danm good, even without the "leader" Mr. George. Rock n Roll

donley26 starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/22/2006 09:18AM

The thing that stands out about little feat to me is the quality of the band from top to bottom. These guys get together and just play damn good music! No one, and I mean no-one can come close to some of the jamming they do!!! not only are they underated as a band but most of the players are too. Richie is one of the greatest dummers I have ever seen and Billy Payne can do things on the keys I feel no one else can!!! Paul Barrere is so interesting to watch and Sam Clayton never stops!!! Of course the best feat was with lowell george, but since we can't really get him back, I'm completly satisfied with whats left. I will not be buying this cd, but thats because I have everything on it already. If you don't know little feat, this could be the best place to start, excpet maybe 'feats don't fail me now'......

facelessspirit Wed 11/22/2006 06:06PM

Sorry Folks!!! Ill try to get this corrected(in the article & in real life), but Little Feat has not been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame!!! My bad!!!

Best,

Todd Mesek

Vice President of Marketing and Communications

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

barstoolrodeo4 Fri 11/24/2006 11:55AM

I love little feat, but no Spanish Moon or Skin it Back? damn

littlefeatfan starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/24/2006 06:29PM

Funny Dixie Chicken was named one of the Rock and Roll HOF "Top 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll" but Little Feat has never been inducted into the HOF. Just check out the discography for each member of the band. They have collaborated with virtually everyone! Who knows how far reaching their influences are. Great people too, helping with various causes from ALS to NOLA Habitat for Humanity among many others. And all while they're constantly touring. Do yourself a favor and go see them next time they play near you. They're great and you'll have a great time ! You'll see! In my opinion Little Feat is THE best band ever bar none !

phreak89 starstarstarstar Fri 11/24/2006 07:12PM

phreak89

i had the foutue of seeing Little Feet during thier tour this past year and it was awsome. my favorite part beeing the "Fat Man" jam. they went from "Fat Man" into a bit of Bob Marley "One Love" and right back inro "Fat Man" and did so with just as much eloqnece as some of the best Phish and String Cheese jams.

jalew starstarstar Sun 11/26/2006 05:56PM

jalew

Please excuse me as I prefer to neither acknowledge nor participate in the unfortunate negativity that takes place on these message boards. Especially because I appreciate the fact these kind people choose to DONATE their time and effort into these articles.
With that said and with all due respect, I'm not sure if I would refer to Little Feat as a band "you have heard, but don't know".
I was almost offended while reading the first sentence. I'm not sure if the author wrote this piece for Jambase or who he was writing to but he missed the mark. It seems as though everyone commenting here is flly aware of the swampafunkinlicousisness that is LF.
...and if you're not...well you need to scroll above, click the 'Waiting for Colombus' link and the rest is....well....yo'll see!

gillipollas Mon 11/27/2006 08:41AM

gillipollas

It's so easy to slip...
It's so easy to fallllllllllllllll

cocheese Mon 11/27/2006 11:29AM

cocheese

"I said Jaunita, my sweet taquita, what are you up to?
My Juanita
Put my money in your meter baby so it won't run down
But you got me in a squeeze play on the cheesy side of town
Throw me a line, throw me a dime
'Cause there's a fat man in the bathtub with the blues
I hear you moan, I hear you moan, I hear you moan"

cocheese Mon 11/27/2006 11:30AM

cocheese

yeah i love these guys!

tipiboy starstarstarstar Tue 11/28/2006 09:53AM

tipiboy

You share ...

"Phil: I enjoyed your piece on Little Feat at http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9462. Great band, for sure. I wanted to let you know, though, that while they are a phenomenal band and influential artists, they have not been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Thanks for covering the Museum’s “500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll” exhibit. We appreciate your spreading the word.

Best,

Todd Mesek

Vice President of Marketing and Communications

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum"

It IS after all the hall of Fame ... NOT the Hall of Talent. Get off your ... uhh ... chair Tom! Because of Little Feats conspicuous absence ... I stopped paying Any attention to the hall of fame at all. Little Feat are everything such an institution Should stand for ... alas they are clearly about sales.

Long Live Little Feat! If you don't know them ... You Want to see them. If you Do ... You Know you want to see them!

carl1967 Tue 11/28/2006 02:54PM

the best band for 29 years ;and they care for the fans. i donot like the chicken song. but the band is the best music you donot need the rock and roll hall of fame

Kent Thu 11/30/2006 10:00AM

This is one of the bands that I will NOT miss if they're playing in town. I also had the good fortune to catch Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett in a very small venue doing an acoustic "storyteller" sort of thing. I highly recommend it if you get the chance to catch these guys in any configuration!

Kent

crowesfan Mon 12/4/2006 05:19PM

crowesfan

I saw Little Feat in Eureka Springs, AR where Fred Tackett is from and it was an awesome show to say the least. Now I am a relatively young listener I am only 20 years old but I have so much respect for Little Feat. They are one of the best to ever grace the style of Rock n Roll. I think that The Band and Little Feat are the most underrated bands ever, and them not being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is shame. Stop inducting shitty bands like U2 and Van Halen. Little Feat's influence has reached much more deeper levels than any of those two bands combined. The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead, and Little Feat are the three best Jambands ever.

Putnameter starstarstarstarstar Thu 12/7/2006 12:30PM

Putnameter

I absolutely love Little Feat. They are greatly underappriciated and are one of the greatest Jambands of all time. I inherited my fathers Little Feat vinyl collection(all the Lps). I hear tons of bands cover their tunes, which they covered by Allen Toussaint. "On Your Way Down" is my favorite, but anything that Lowell George touched has its worth in the weight of gold. I will not purchase the best of album, because I have all the studio albums and many live recordings, but this record is a must for any new fan! But Waiting For Columbus should be sufficient enough!

Gilmour420 Tue 1/16/2007 06:02PM

Gilmour420

Just stumbled upon this and i must say little feat rocks the socks. Waiting for Columbus from beginning to end is by far one of the best albums to party out to. They're def an uplifting tight band.