SCRATCH PERRY IS A WEAPON

Lee "Scratch" Perry
After playing a string of sold out shows on the eastern seaboard and throwing down the last-ever dub session at the legendary CBGB club in New York City, Lee "Scratch" Perry and Dub Is A Weapon join forces once again to bring their heavyweight vibrations to the Left Coast dub massive!

Mon Nov 6, 2006 | San Francisco CA | The Independent
Tue Nov 7, 2006 | Los Angeles CA | House of Blues
Wed Nov 8, 2006 | San Diego CA | 4th & B
Thu Nov 9, 2006 | Santa Cruz CA | The Catalyst
Sat Nov 11, 2006 | Portland OR | The Crystal Ballroom
Sun Nov 12, 2006 | Vancouver BC | Richard's on Richards
Mon Nov 13, 2006 | Seattle WA | Neumos
Tue Nov 15, 2006 | Salt Lake City UT | The Depot
Wed Nov 16, 2006 | Boulder CO | Fox Theatre

www.dubisaweapon.com
www.myspace.com/dubisaweapon
www.upsetter.net/scratch

[Published on: 11/6/06]

Comments

captpete Mon 11/6/2006 09:55AM

Just to prevent future confusion, November 15th is a Wednesday and November 16th is a Thursday.

idigmusic Mon 11/6/2006 10:58AM

Lee Perry is an amazing musician but most of his music is difficult to find. Raggae would not be half of what it is without him.

Death Cube K Mon 11/6/2006 11:05AM

Death Cube K

Truth be told, man rocks

Danks starstarstarstarstar Mon 11/6/2006 03:00PM

Danks

one of the illest reggae artists out there. pioneered the art of dub, almost no one is iller.

rjd999 Mon 11/6/2006 06:16PM

lee scratch is a genius... the originator of the massive dub sound, and one of the main catalysts in evolving the sound of the wailers back in the black ark days... check out my personal favorite lee scratch production - The Congos - Heart of the Congos... you will understand then. make sure to catch this tour

crazyleggedelbow starstarstarstarstar Mon 11/6/2006 10:37PM

where's all the haters? normally 200 people talk some shit about every musician in every article on this site.... oh yea... you can't talk shit about perry.

sitdancer starstarstarstarstar Mon 11/6/2006 11:11PM

sitdancer

I have seen Scratch a bunch of times and have been both thrilled and disappointed. No denying his genious, and I own about 30+ CDs of his music and productions. But it depends a LOT on the band he plays with, it can get really weird ellectronicaly bull... - That being said I would never miss a show :)

But two more things: he shaped the Wailers BEFORE the black arch opened its doors. And his music is not really hard to find.

Check http://www.eight4eight.com/848_frame.html - apparently the site is down temporily, but the guy has a store only for Lee Scratch Perry, full of all the goods.

http://www.bigupradio.com/index.jsp is the best general Reggae store and you will find lots of things by hime there as well.

Peace,
Felix

off2cwsp starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/7/2006 07:27AM

For Scratch at his finest, I strongly recommend Lee Perry's "Baffling Smoke Signal: Upsetter Shop Vol. 3". Not hard to find Lee at all over @ Ernie B's; 116 Scratch titles alone. http://www.ebreggae.com/

Grateful Dread Tue 11/7/2006 09:20AM

Grateful Dread

I'm not jumping on here to hate on Scratch. I'm a huge reggae fan and he's one of my favorite reggae/dub artists of all time. I realize the unquestionably huge impact that he had on the entire genre of music. However, I was a little disappointed when I went to see him with DIAW at CBGB in September. I've seen Dub is a Weapon several times and love them. They can lay down some really heavyweight live dub. Great stuff. Going into the show I thought it would be them playing the instruments with Scratch working the samples, loops, computers, etc. What it turned out to be was their standard verion of heavy live dub with Scratch singing vocals only for the whole show. Like I said before, I think he's an extremely talented artist in the realm of dub, just not when it comes to vocals. For instance, one of his songs was just him singing over and over, "Inspector Gadget, Inspector Gadget." I went to the show mainly because I had never seen Scratch before and also wanted to check out CBGB before it closed. It was pretty good, just not what I expected.

EVILFUNK Tue 11/7/2006 11:58AM

EVILFUNK

Jamayka Tue 11/7/2006 02:34PM

excellent collab! scratch honestly goes thru about 7 joints ON STAGE for most of his shows. a lot of the time he'll take about 5 hits, then toss it into the crowd, then reach in his macy's bag (no joke) for another. its hilarious! big up to Scratch!