JIMMY HERRING JOINS PANIC

Jimmy Herring
By R. Massie
August 03, 2006 -- After the shocking mid-tour departure of guitarist George McConnell, Widespread Panic confirmed rumors that longtime friend Jimmy Herring will be joining the band as lead guitarist. The band made the announcement today (August 3) on their website, saying:

Widespread Panic is happy to announce that Jimmy Herring will be joining the band as lead guitarist. Jimmy, who in the past, has toured with The Dead and Aquarium Rescue Unit, said he is extremely excited to join his old friends on stage this fall. The tour will start September 14th with a three day run in New York City at the legendary Radio City Music Hall.

The band continues their Summer Tour tomorrow night (August 4) at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD, presumably with the combination of multi-instrumentalist and producer John Keane and guitar tech Sam Holt filling in for McConnell. The tour will conclude with a three night run at The Chicago Theatre, August 11 - 13.

Herring, who has sat in with the band a number of times (the first time being in 1991 at Athens' Georgia Theatre) was originally offered the job that McConnell took in replacing Widespread Panic co-founder and guitarist Michael Houser after his death in 2002 of pancreatic cancer.

More on Jimmy Herring can be found at his official website: www.jimmyherring.net.

JamBase | San Francisco
Go See Live Music!

Widespread Panic
August 02, 06 -- George McConnell, lead guitarist with the rock band Widespread Panic, has moved on to further adventures.

When co-founding band member "Mikey" Houser passed away four years ago, McConnell, along with saxophonist Randall Bramblett, joined forces with Widespread Panic, and the band played on.

Longtime friend and producer John Keane has been playing both the pedal steel and electric guitar throughout this recent tour, along with guitarist Sam Holt, founder of the band Outformation- who has been sitting in from time to time. The remainder of Widespread Panic's summer tour will proceed at full steam.

"Bottom line is there's still songs to be played, music to make, and that's what's going to happen," singer/guitarist John Bell added. "We'll miss George a lot. I'm very grateful to him for lending us his talent and friendship these past four years, and we wish him all the best."

[Published on: 8/5/06]

Comments

mtn_girl Wed 8/2/2006 10:07AM

mtn_girl

george has moved on to further adventures???

jasonthehead star Wed 8/2/2006 10:08AM

jasonthehead

A cryptical development indeed...

I rate this story poor because this is sucky news.

I would still rate it a 5 for fantastic though, because the band plays on.

I'd like to find out if this happening because of medical reasons, creative differences or the unwarranted pressure and criticism from a minority of the fanbase. Either way G$, walk on...and thanks for everythiing you have done for Widespread Panic and their fans.

auster Wed 8/2/2006 10:18AM

Shocker

tommymac1965 Wed 8/2/2006 10:18AM

Will Jimmy Herring,please stand up!

highplains star Wed 8/2/2006 10:20AM

highplains

I find this to be very upsetting because I really dug what George has done since he had stepped in. I am assuming Keane and their guitar tech will continue to sit in but will they add someone new??? I hope musicians stop leaving bands I like because this is like the forth time in the last month something like this has happened. I guess I will hold my breath and wait to see what the future brings.

Death Cube K Wed 8/2/2006 10:22AM

Death Cube K

I'm very sad today. I had heard rumors to expect this news soon. I wish George the best. I would prefer WSP take a break to respect the sound George created. It would also be respectful to fans to decrease ticket prices for one less man.

Death Cube K Wed 8/2/2006 10:23AM

Death Cube K

If you know where to look online, you'll find why he's leaving.

GregRN starstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 10:26AM

What the fuck? I finally get to see WSP and george fuckin leaves! Oh well. I don't think Al DiMeola would join. That would be some good shit rolled up tight !

effjackie Wed 8/2/2006 10:31AM

Hopefully we can all let George leave in peace and Panic will start talking to Buckethead for '07. Besides, Schools is the main talent in the band. Let's all hope Dave stays healthy!

CHAOS3847 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 10:39AM

long live Panic, long live Sam Holt, hey hey my my, rock 'n roll will never die...

Crazymojohandfingers Wed 8/2/2006 10:44AM

An "all time low" if you ask me. I think the writing's been on the wall since Keane and Holt have been playing on top of Gmac at the recent shows.

Jason Woodside Wed 8/2/2006 10:49AM

Jason Woodside

panic should retire. herman, schools and ortiz are awesome musicians but the whole allman brothers grungy southern rock voice of jb and the pointless jams make this band not worth a cent of mine. i was introduced to panic and phish at the same time and i made my choice and stick by it. houser wasnt even a great guitarist. george was much better. i dont know how many times ive heard mikey doing lame solos where he repeats 3 notes over and over. he is missed undoubtedly, but still just an ok guitarist. not to mention nance is a awful drummer. and the drummer makes the band

ampollin Wed 8/2/2006 10:55AM

ampollin

see ya. i appreciate his effort but after 4 years he just didn't fit in.

treetop420 Wed 8/2/2006 10:56AM

treetop420

Cant be happening!!!

kjk81 Wed 8/2/2006 10:56AM

What does that mean "if you know where to look online"? Where do we look? Is George sick?

daveapaug starstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 11:13AM

daveapaug

Jimmy Herring will be onstage tonite!!!!
Cant wait to hear what this NEW band will sound like
If you go into this trying to compare the way two completely different guitar players sound you will sound like a hater. Panic with George is a different band than Panic with Mike, or Panic with Jimmy, or Panic with Keane and Sam. If you're just gonna hate, find a new band to be a fan of. I love the Grateful Dead, but i dont go to phil or bobby shows and get all pissed because Jerry aint there. Different band people, apples and oranges

FormulaOBX Wed 8/2/2006 11:15AM

??????????????????

airball starstar Wed 8/2/2006 11:16AM

woodsidej1 - all due respect, man, but you can't compare JB's vocals with greg allman...I'll go further to say you can't compare WP with the allman bros at all - just not the same level.

I like what McConnell brought to the band, though, bummer news.

ikojones star Wed 8/2/2006 11:19AM

thanks george!!!!!!
Panic please don't let john keane be in the band.
i hope yall get some one who can get as wild as george did.

matt87 Wed 8/2/2006 11:22AM

That's one of the dumber things I've seen recently

Death Cube K Wed 8/2/2006 11:25AM

Death Cube K

If the band wanted you to know why, they'd tell you.

JP22 Wed 8/2/2006 11:27AM

Thanks for the good times George! Birmingham last oct. was the best show I saw you play. Hopefully Panic isn't trying to find a lead guitar that sounds just like Houser. It would suck if Panic becomes a cover band of the Panic we knew in the past.

jimmyjetski starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 11:27AM

The band that should retire already did. And we are just phine without the phluffhead phools.

Thanks George, R.I.P. MH. We will climb to safety.

cocheese Wed 8/2/2006 11:41AM

cocheese

Well this definitely sad news, but I saw it coming. The writing has been on the wall. I liked GMAC, it me a while to find my groove with him in the band. I hope this doesn't start a revolving door. Jimmy Herring sounds nice, but would they throw someone in there right in the middle of a tour? The timing of this is very strange. And WOODSIDE, why must you be so disrespectful? Get over yourself buddy, sorry you never made out of the garage, but leave fallen brother at peace. Low down man, low down.

THANKS GMAC!!!

kjk81 Wed 8/2/2006 11:44AM

Just keep bangin out those killer comments "It would also be respectful to fans to decrease ticket prices for one less man." Did you seriously write that?

standingtaller Wed 8/2/2006 11:52AM

standingtaller

I remember seeing George up on stage at the Backyard in '02, grinning from ear to ear, and giving me relief that Panic was keeping on, keeping on.

He melted my mind at Bonnaroo 2005 (the Diner solo for example) with your influence and experience with Beanland and Kudzu Kings.

I remember seeing you at the Fox this year sharing the stage w/ John Keane and I was thinking, "Something is wrong here." Saturday night in Memphis, I knew something was wrong. Holt AND Keane? Long intermission and silence in between songs? Now, he is gone and only a mystery remains.

This is a huge blow for Panic. Hell, anytime a great jam rock band looses their guitarist it is hard, but this is round #2! Think about it. Panic did not even have a chance to fully gel with Gmac...2002-2004, no tour for 2005 and 1/3 season for 2006.

George- I'm hating your early departure.
WP- I hope you did not run this guy out thinking the grass is greener.

Road To Shambala Wed 8/2/2006 11:56AM

Road To Shambala

Jets19 you continue prove your idiocy and now you have a partner in woodside J. I'm glad you chose Phish over Panic. We don't need posers like you.

Viva La Panic

scotthauser Wed 8/2/2006 11:56AM

Should've Panic then raised ticket prices when Keane and Holt have come out on stage this year? Real stupid logic, buddy!

RedHotPapa6 Wed 8/2/2006 12:09PM

I was at the show last night. It seemed like things ended ugly. Look at the setlists. It all had a "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" kind of feel. But, they were fantastic. FANTASTIC. The Jimmy Herring rumor came up all night, people were even saying he'd be there by second set. Didn't happen, would have been cool. John Keane practically wrote and orchastrated the majority of Panic songs like he was a member of the band, and last night had a pre-George fill. They played like a weight was lifted off their shoulders. It was fun while it lasted, and I respect George for all the work he put it, because he got much better at time went on. But, in the end, there will always be Panic as we know it, and that is what it seemed like last night.

linsbee314 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 12:09PM

Man, there sure are some mean music "fans" out there. Hey woodsidej1--you got a real nasty attitude about Panic man! You don't have to love every band, but you'll have to answer for bashing a dead man! Mikey was great and if you went note for note with him, you'd fall down. You're from chucktown with that nasty attitude? You should be ashamed of yourself! Sounds like a typical close-minded Citadel boy to me!

Astronaut Jones starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 12:11PM

Astronaut Jones

I'm with JP22. I don't care for Panic's sound these days, but still respect them very highly as artists. Should they make Sam the full time guitarist, I would lose all respect for these guys. My vote's for Jimmmy H. Hang in there boys! Maybe y'all need a fresh perspective and an axe man with some continuity. George, reunite Beanland!!!!!! Beanland in `06!!!!!

Roos Wed 8/2/2006 12:13PM

Word. I may get some haters on this comment, but I never liked George and his fricken piddally dinkin around up there on stage. He s not good enough, plain and simple. Put Sam on the job! Sometimes when I listen to some of Georges jams, (in the bathroom) I just wonder how Mikey was replaced with George. Sorry, this is my comment ;-)

LONG LIVE PANIC (The real one)!

Panic in the Cave starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 12:23PM

Panic in the Cave

Just damn! I really thought George was making it happen. We saw six shows last year and they were all working for me. The break openers at the FOX just blew my mind.

Like you standingtaller when I saw the Fox shows this year I thought something was up but let it slip my mind. I've enjoyed Keane as a guest for a long time. I don't know about him taking the lead. I have never seen Sam play w/ Panic but heard some Outformation.

I know my wife will have something to add, hey baby!

I hope Panic moves in a direction that moves us all.

Peace

kaiserbun starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 12:37PM

i thought george was great, the whole situation seems a little odd. i'm up for a little change like a lot of the reviews on here suggest. jimmy herring is a great idea. keane just doesn't sound that exciting. also, quit comparing phish and panic. its getting annoying, they are two very different bands.

ryan420 starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 12:46PM

ryan420

Blue oyster cult, Starship, Iron butterfly. All great bands in their time. But have hung on way too long after their peak. They still tour with one remaining original member. But have lost the fan base and respect they earned. The longer Panic hangs on the more they will become like those bands.
The Grateful dead quit when Jerry died, but them members still did their own thing on their own.
Not to mention, at least Phish knew when to quit. They didnt want to become the band in which Panic is turning into. They better soak up the spolight as much as they can. Before too long they will be opening for Boston.

moeMan1 Wed 8/2/2006 12:52PM

moeMan1

George did not mesh with the sound of panic. i believe this was a good choice. thank god no more crappy 80's sounding solos.

TNPanic Wed 8/2/2006 01:06PM

George will be missed..but..Bring on SAM! especially after Memphis, Sam would be a perfect fit, IMO

pronice starstar Wed 8/2/2006 01:11PM

every band needs a Chuck Norris stunt double...no, seriously, Panic can play for 25 more years and I am there, dood! they undoubtedly continue to fuel my passion for this 'southern rock' or whatever the term is that describes them. I have been dancin' my ass off for years at EVERY Panic show I see. Mikey, Georgie boy, f*ckin Herbie Hancock at Bonnaroo '05 - whoever is on stage with them. They continue to do what few bands these days CAN do - push on! I absolutley cannot wait for VT, NH and Boston. Home of 'The Phish' - sorry, I had to say that, it's their turf.
but like dude said below...apples and oranges, right?
I had some good shows with George up there on stage and I wish him all the best. Long live PANIC!!!

SundogWill Wed 8/2/2006 01:17PM

Man-- what a buch of negativity for a music fan site. If you don't like the band, why post and why even read? Goodness.

There is no reason for anyone to have a bad opinion of George or the band. He helped them out in a really tight spot and got to play with a top touring act for four years. George is a homebody and always was, prior to Panic he hadn't toured for almost 10 years. He never even did Kudzu Kings gigs unless they were within a 2 hour drive. So all is good, no hard feelings and definitely no reason to bash a guy who came in at a moment's notice to help out his old friends.

Personally, I hope they hire Sam because they love him, he can play and that's what Mikey wanted. And as far as what everyone else thinks.... do you really think they give a fuck?

phialpha starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 01:20PM

moeman, I don't wanna diss on 'ole GMAC too much...but that was dead on with the crappy 80's solos.....you're exactly right....bring on D. Trucks!

ryanmkl starstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 01:26PM

My dream is that Waker Houser comes back and takes back the reigns that his father left behind. George probably got fed up that all the hard core Panic fans could talk about was how much the band sucks since Mike Houser died, god rest his soul. And as much as that sucks, since George is a great guitarist, its the truth. Sometimes, when i listen to Mike Houser, I think God is talking to me through his guitar. If you watch old Panic videos, you'll see that Mike ran the entire show, anytime he wanted a solo JB would just walk over and stand next to him and play rhythm guitar. Those two ran the show and the band is a completely different band without Mike Houser. I also think that Panic should retire unless Waker comes and takes up the reigns, because that would a Disney story come true.

chillyribs Wed 8/2/2006 01:33PM

george had a strange look on his face all night in stl. he was grinnin', but it wasn't his typical his typical glow. you'll be greatly missed by many.

peterman star Wed 8/2/2006 02:07PM

Thanks George, You added an element to Panic that will not soon be forgotten. I am shocked and saddened by this news, but Sam Holt kicks ASS!!!! Keep on rockin Sam! and check out Outformation if you get a chance!!!!
I'll miss you GMAC. Peace.

AlV starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 02:11PM

This is bad news for all WSP fans. Sure GMac played tenatively in the beginning, while learning the signature riffs and tones, but he became a true part of panic over the years. I'll admit that in the beginning I wasn't impressed with Gmac's reverting to allmanesque solos when he got in a jam during a jam. But the last 2 years really have been cool because there was an element of mystery about how a song will be played (fast or slowe, long or short), without worrying if he would be pressing to make it sound good or if it would just be natural. I can honestly say that the Birmingham show in october05 is one of the top ten shows I've seen Panic play since Vegas in 98. I'm sad to see him go because I feel he really does fit in after all his hard work, no question. And there must have been some serious disrespect to the WSP family for them to let him go mid-tour. However, WSP will survive whoever becomes the next character of scrutiny. Herring would have the same problem he did playin dead tunes--Until he really learns the material, it ain't gonna sound just right. I'm talking a bout Houser's signature riffs, the phrasing, timing and tonality will just seem a lil off. But the improv would be amazing. Keane should do what he does best and sit in the studio- why panic would want a producer on stage is beyuond me. Robert Hunter's words inspired Jerry to create some of the best songs ever, but hunter sucks on stage. Thanks George and good T-Luck.

AustinRocks Wed 8/2/2006 02:23PM

I agree with SundogWill when he says "There is no reason for anyone to have a bad opinion of George or the band. He helped them out in a really tight spot and got to play with a top touring act for four years... No reason to bash a guy who came in at a moment's notice to help out his old friends."

I hope everyone out there will learn the truth of his departure. Fans (even George haters) deserve to know what the band did and how they acted. Its disgusting.

leroy_lereaux Wed 8/2/2006 02:30PM

George in my opinion served his part as a "fill in" guitar player, I dont think he has a similar creativity to the rest of the band. Ive seen 60+ shows, most with Mikey, and although Mikey wasnt the most skilled player either, he had an element that gave WSP a distinct sound, kinda like Jerry, (not comparing). Its hard to say goodbye to a band member, but why didnt he learn the Mikey tunes? Maybe he wasnt "into" the music and his ambitions are for his music, why dont we hear as much Jo Jo?? Cant wait to catch something fresh in Chicago...

crgeorge Wed 8/2/2006 02:38PM

Could this be why the Vegoose announcements have been postponed?

T.Ivey Wed 8/2/2006 02:46PM

Being young...George has been the only guitarist I've known in Panic...aside from the records of course. He put in his two cents in when no one else was there and we should be thankful for that.

forbin1975 Wed 8/2/2006 03:04PM

I think George is a talented Guitar player who progressed immensely while with WSP.Unfortunately the band had a Guitar tech who could sound more like Houser than George could.And thats what a large majority of the fanbase wanted right.I think the band should have went with George or ,parted ways with him completely,but to frustrate him with two other guitar players on an almost nightly basis
is something I was suprised at the band for doing.Make a decision and stick to it boys!

sailorman starstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 03:43PM

sailorman

I did not really listen to old school WSP, but I do know that WSP from Bonnaroo 05 was awesome and I really dug George from that show and I was enjoying the new WSP sound. Funky!

phish0 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 03:51PM

phish0

I'm not sure how to feel about this. JB's comments seemed kinda cold. This is obviously not as serious for these guys. I really think that Keene will fill in for the rest of the tour but I look for another guitarist to take the lead part.I see alot of people commenting on here about their feelings on GM. If you guys got to see Mikey not just on video or dvd, you would realize how big his shoes were to fill. To some Mikey wasn't the best ever but listen, that guy made that 6 string cry!!!!! he had an urgency in his fills and leads that will not be reproduced and even Waker won't sound like that in the future. Don't forget that Mikey hand picked George to take his place but since that is gone now we all will be hearing lots of rumors. The biggest rumor that filled the thin air after the dyin man past is that Derek Trucks would take over. Would you really like to see that? I see this as an oppurtuniy for WSP to take back their original sound(somewhat) to start new and write the songs they were made to. I hope some nobody comes out, sits in a chair with a telecaster and two wahs....and just plays through his heart. Panic has worked soooo hard for what they have. I love phish but I also love those Panic boys. Everyone should toast panic and thank god for their music. Who better than Mikey's guitar tech who watched and heard him play day in and day out to take his place. george was great but he couldn't take it to that place, that terrapin station where the band was used to traveling. Let's all just hope they continue and God bless WSP. Lets not bicker but embrace..
Be Good Family

Benon Wed 8/2/2006 04:29PM

Two Words: Eric McFadden

ghoag Wed 8/2/2006 04:57PM

I saw Panic many times in the 90's and for me, Houser was Panic. While he was not a fretboard gymnast aka Buckethead his guitar led their jams. He was awesome. New guitarists can come and go, but for me Panic died with MH.

Hollow Wed 8/2/2006 05:14PM

Hollow

Dang, man. I really liked George's contribution to WSP. I thought his sound was quite spooky. "Good job, George!" Best of luck in future endeavors, bro!!! Hope this has no effect on WSP's longevity. Long live WSP!!!

seancgard Wed 8/2/2006 05:19PM

I'm sad to hear this news but I'm not shocked. I hope that Panic will find someone they like as a player and not someone that will be a reincarnation of a legend (impossible). We have tapes for that. I had some great times with George and he will be missed. George always looked like he was having a great time on stage and I liked his voice. I would like to know if he was asked to leave or if it was something else. I'm glad that Panic will play on.

rpmills starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 05:41PM

From Benon :: 8/2/2006 4:29 PM
Two Words: Eric McFadden

I've heard this rumor too but on the flip side I know that Eric McFadden already has a shitload of on-going projects. Also heard that they are talking about Jimmy Herring coming on for the next tour but they will continue with Keane and Holt for the rest of this tour...

kirby3482 Wed 8/2/2006 05:51PM

kirby3482

Having the great opportunity to see both Houser and Gmac in Widespread I find it completely off-base to try to compare the two. I loved hearing mikey play, but for some, he was a misunderstood guitar hero, he played like no one else (without Fireworks and jumping all over the stage playing with his teeth and whatnot). And George is a great guitarist as well. Having the opportunity to meet George, I found him to be an incredibly warm and kind soul, and that truly came out in his playing. His style injected a new life in Panic after a huge tragedy. I always looked forward to his solos and was excited to see how he would approach both new and classic panic songs.

Personally, I hope that panic goes a new direction. Why be stagnant, grow and change with time. Don't just pick up your guitar tech in the hopes of Re-creating the "old sound". get a Tribute band to do that. Try someone new, maybe someone unknown, maybe someone not in the "jam" scene right now... Trucks and Herring are great, but seem kind of cliché. Eric Mcfadden is a interesting idea, what about Kimock or Dickenson, or Haque or Larry Campbell... just an idea...

id rather be phishing star Wed 8/2/2006 06:18PM

id rather be phishing

I just got all excited that panic is playing boston, kinda bummed out about this now...But Herring? thats wild im hoping those rumors are true..or we can always ask trey to play haa

bcpalmer starstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 06:53PM

Thanks George for the great music and good luck.
A sad day to see a good man go.
Here's hoping that Panic will find a guitarist who will mesh with the group and be a long term fixture with his own sound.
I hope he/they have the same enthusiasm GMac had.

thispartoftown024 starstar Wed 8/2/2006 07:02PM

Whatever the reason is for leaving, George did his job well, obviously no one can or ever will be Houser. From my perspective he was into the Panic groove for the past couple of years, and was layin down some solid shows. Thanks for the good times George, and welcome to the future of WSP.

Once in a while these things they turn out alright
Yeah but the light's too bright

PlanetVibes Wed 8/2/2006 07:03PM

George is a great man and doesn't deserve the disrespect that has plagued him, mainly as of late. I agree with AustinRocks that maybe some of you need to try and hear the full story, nobody deserves that kind of nonsense, especially from your own bandmates. I thought these guys were real?! George brought his own style to the cutting block and that's what made the transition great- not that he tried to please folks, but that he was himself. Healways had that reassuring smile that let you know what was going on was real, in the music, and of the moment. For that I thank you G, and we'll see you in O-town soon.

stork1847 starstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 09:11PM

Are you guys kidding me? George - not a good guitarist?!?! You must have been to a different Panic show than me man. I loved Houser, saw him numerous times, but George added the Hendrixesque pedal effects to Panic that really took you "out there" at shows. Bonnaroo was INSANE thanks to George, listen to the live version of "Cows Come Home" and you will see genius. I am going to Maryland's show this Friday with a HUGE raised eyebrow. Can they pull it off?

aaw27 Wed 8/2/2006 09:19PM

man, why are so many awesome bands making changes? breakfast, particle, panic, next thing you know rob's gonna leave moe. to play with yellowcard. dang...

QuantumTubaMan Wed 8/2/2006 09:49PM

QuantumTubaMan

I am saddened by this news. I sure hope they can get a good new guitarist. My picks:

Robert Randolph, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Buckethead, some new guitar great that no one has heard of.

dcpruyn starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/2/2006 10:25PM

dcpruyn

Fare ye well

rlsideburns Wed 8/2/2006 10:33PM

george has moved on to to further adventures....who the fuck released that feel good statement???the band...oh yeah...of course

xbnmx Thu 8/3/2006 12:23AM

One day you'll all see the light:

Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons > Widespread Panic

cookieduster Thu 8/3/2006 04:25AM

Sad news!!! This is an article posted on Relix regarding his departure - the guy was given a hard time!! Not in the spirit of the scene or the music they play!!!

''McConnell, known for his work in the Kudzu Kings and Beanland, began augmenting Widespread Panic shortly before the death of founding guitarist Michael Houser. Earlier this year, the group turned heads by adding multi-instrumentalist/producer John Keane to its touring lineup. Longtime Widespread Panic guitar technician Sam Holt has also performed regularly with the group throughout the summer months. According to reports, after Saturday’s performance at St. Louis’ Fox Theatre, McConnell officially parted ways with Widespread Panic.

While the exact reasons for McConnell’s exit remain unknown, the guitarist has clearly felt like an outsider for sometime. In an upcoming Relix cover story, McConnell tells writer Jaan Uhelszki, “I’ve had other guitar players come up and tell me that they should be in this band instead of me... I am the most hated man in the jam world.”

nwilso Thu 8/3/2006 05:12AM

Exactly Sundogwill

JoeyTheFoot starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 05:48AM

JoeyTheFoot

I grew up on Panic, living in South Carolina Panic was always around when I was a kid. I grew up with the sweet sounds of Mikey on lead and thought when Mikey left us, that Panic would be gone. George stepped in and did a wonderful job, when I saw Panic back in Summer of '05, George blew me away, I thought he did a great job with the band. These things happen though and sometimes a musician must move forward. Good luck to George and Good luck to WP, this is an amazing band that I hope continues to make amazing music. If Herring is the next guitarist then everyone watch out, Jimmy will tear it up. Good luck in your futures endeavors George and even to your naysayers you were/are always going to be apart of Panic to me. I do miss Mikey though!!!!

Rinosquad starstar Thu 8/3/2006 06:40AM

I don't care what anyone says. George is and was an amazing talent. I am actually psyched to know what the future holds for him. He deserves to be a front man for someone. Maybe Panic should have Trey play a few shows. Trey and George together at Vegoose last year was fuckin beautiful. "Slippin into Darkness." Keep making heads spin George.

knockkneedman star Thu 8/3/2006 06:57AM

This is a sad day. I will truly miss george with panic and i will be at any future projects that he participates in. George had his own style and really brought what i thought was a different but great element to wsp. I really hate that so many fans were unwilling to give a new sound a chance. As so many others have already said on here, filling Mikey's shoes is a huge task. I personally dont think anyone should try and recreate note for note the old panic. There are plenty of recordings for those who want to hear that to listen to. I would like to see panic keep making music for a long time to come, but i do not want to see them trying to recreate something that has been lost forever. Also i would really hope that the band members did not try and force George out. That would make me lose complete respect for that whole band. Lets hope for everyones sake thats not true because that would ruin my appreciation for the whole WSP scene of love, and music. For now i give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they continue to work there magic for years to come.
P.S- I know this would not be possible but PICK UP WARREN HAYNES! That would be my ultimate pick for new lead guitarist.

Hans star Thu 8/3/2006 08:04AM

Hans

All respect to Mikey...I love George...this is sad sad sad news to me. I wish there wasn't this weird veil of secrecy, though I spose people have thier reasons. Still, I am curious to know whats really going on. Whatever it is, it's been seen coming as others have noted, heck even in reviews on this site regarding the tour lineups.

In any event, I'll still be re-listening to the many shows I've seen with George for years... and anxiously awaiting what one of the best acts around today does from here. Damn it, didn't get to see them ANY this year...darn babies~

As for this rumor that Derek will be joining - dream on ;) Derek is THE MAN right now imo, and personally his band is tight and has it all...there'd be no reason to be a hired gun again...he needs to focus on his band...it's amazing beyond belief and the biggest thing no ones talking about. In a few years, I'm going to be wishing I could get the chances to see them as I have recently - small, intimate, mind blowing shows.

jacobandbeth starstar Thu 8/3/2006 09:23AM

I was in Winter Park to see Panic and wondered who the heck this keane guy was (sorry I am not a big panic freak) He was good on the slide, but offered nothing on the lead...he just followed JB and George. Honestly I think they are all acting and looking tired (except schools, man that guy holds it down!) and George looks really old since my last panic show at red rocks in 03. I think they need to take a break and rehearse with somebody totally new who is not going to try to duplicate houser...new directions, or just hang it up. The world won't end if they quit, it just will be missing a really good dirty south band!

rebubula7 Thu 8/3/2006 10:19AM

rebubula7

I've never gotten in to Panic but this news is undoubtably sad to many!!

Tinacharleston Thu 8/3/2006 10:20AM

I saw this coming. I saw outformation last winter and thought it was possible. Then when Sam and John K came on tour, well it was the writing on the wall. I saw them last week in Grand Prarie, TX. Sam and John K completely overshadowed George when they came on stage. It was obvious George was odd man out. I love all of Panic and their extended family. I hope that George will still occassionally sit in and always be considered part of this amazing group. The main thing that is disturbing is that he is leaving in the middle of a tour - Matter of fact, tonight is the second night at KY - too strange...that can't be good. George, I will miss you! Thanks for all that you contributed. Maybe you just need a little room to fly......

lilsarah star Thu 8/3/2006 10:29AM

I would love to criticize the negativity, but we all have a right to our own opinions...My opinion is that George was an asset, and since he was hand-picked by Mikey, he should be respected. Whether you liked his sound or not, he helped the band through a very rough, emotional time. I'm not saying he was the exact "sound", or even close for that matter, but he is a talented musician. Has anyone considered the fact that he might have a medical condition called Carpal Tunnel that is causing his early departure?

I personally look forward to the next "era" of Panic. Mikey's "sound" gives me shivers because it was the original Panic, but maybe it's time to go above and beyond. Maybe we should let Mikey R.I.P., and let Panic "elevate" to a whole new level. Obviously I would LOVE to have him back, but reality is that he's only able to "attend" the shows, he's not able to play...

I don't blame the band and I don't blame George... If something's not making you happy, changes need to be made. Best of luck George, thank you for YOUR sound, and to Panic... Keep on Truckin'... Chicago is where it's at!!!

Chaloupka Thu 8/3/2006 10:51AM

Chaloupka

I'll vote no for Jimmy Herring. He plays too fast - too many notes - not enough space. I realize he's incredibly talented and worthy. His playing just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not too sure about Sam either - saw him sit in at Red Rocks. Whoever they get, it should be interesting. Warren would rawk!

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 11:05AM

Tony8

I just hope Panic doesn't do what the Dead did and each member has their own Panic cover band and they all re-unite like every four years but instead if calling it Widespread Panic...they'll just call it Panic? Ha! I didn't realize how many Panic fans hated on George in the first place. 80's sounding solos?????????? I am a musician myself and I think George is the most under-rated player out there. Good luck George, I hope the carpel tunnel (however you spell that) is NOT TRUE!! As for Panic and the fans...finding someone that's gonna sound just like Houser won't happen, they could possibly use a different guy every tour if that's gonna be the approach. Jimmy Herring is a great idea but do you think he really will become a full time member. Probably not...he plays with everyone...but is the go to guy and this situation fits him well. "Spend your days just tryin' to keep tryin". I will miss ya George!

pat5507 star Thu 8/3/2006 11:24AM

pat5507

this sucks! i love george, he rocks!

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 12:02PM

Tony8

recipefan starstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 12:43PM

Thanks to George and WP for all you do! While I am very sad to see George go, I always welcome something new and fresh! As for those saying they should retire, where would we all be if the Dead had retired after Pigpen died? Panic has produced some of the best shows I've ever seen in my life, and I'm sure they will continue to do so!

seancgard Thu 8/3/2006 01:10PM

I would like to say that I check jambase everyday for news and discussion. ( except weekends because its never updated) This would be a great chance for jambase to elevate its news section to a new level. I offer this challenge to the Jambase news staff: use any pull you have and help us find out what happened here I think a lot of people would appreciate it. Love what you do on the this website, its a big asset to the scene.

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 01:25PM

Tony8

I agree with you both recipe fan and seancgard. Still can't get over all the negative George comments. I was just on Panics website reading past show reviews from the last couple years and I didn't see anyone bitchin about him at all.

StellaBlues1014 starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 01:26PM

StellaBlues1014

** I want to start this off with a few suggestions to those that have posted such negative comments..WSP has had a postive and bright role in the music they have chosen to play for us and how they have played it.Negativety isnt in the true WSP fans hearts. So,if it takes George leaving to weed out the fake fans than so be it. What George was missing from the group was the "panic" grove. I read were someone was bashing MH. U know,to u, he may not have been the best player, but he was the glue that held the soul of WSP together!! They never tried to out do oneanother.(Like someone) They just had a good time!! I will continue to listen to all of my old and new bootlegs, bc MH's soul will never die in their music. Also, u have to realize just how hard it is for these boys to get up on that stage and jam......For all my KYND sisters and brothers...continue to live in their music.

****THANKS MIKEY********

jbritter starstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 01:32PM

JOJO and George got into it on the bus.....i mean got into it..a scrap....
after that a meeting was called..jojo,schools,nance voted george
out...jb,domingo voted george in...also gave george a vote as well...his
answer was fuckoff..

Rinosquad starstar Thu 8/3/2006 01:49PM

Panic fans must be the snottiest punks on the scene. nothing but negativity and everytime I meet one they like to tell me how many shows they have been to when I don't even ask. For example: Me, "Hey the weather is terrible tonight huh?" Panic fan, "Yeah well I've seen 423 shows, four New Years runs, and 19 Halloweens so . . . . ."

George is a ripper so get over it. Stop going if ya didn't like him.

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 01:50PM

Tony8

and that info comes from WHERE jbritter?

digggy starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 01:51PM

Come on Jambase, we need more! I check this site frequently and never have I seen so many comments relating to a news story. This is the biggest story in the Jam
World, panic fans deserve some news.
Come on fans, some like George some do not. But how many of us have downloaded a recent show from the George Era and really kicked back and listened. Somethin' missin? Yea, I know, I can hear the collective mind of everyone yelling MIKEY! We are all missing much of that sexiness they had. George's guitar was a guitar on red bull, full throttle all the time which turned many jams into "Margret Thatcher naked on a cold day" Jam. I'm looking for those Angelina Jolie walking towards me in slow motion with a slight breeze jams. The band will find their guy.
We'll be satisfied!!!!

digggy Thu 8/3/2006 01:58PM

will be satisfied

jbritter Thu 8/3/2006 02:11PM

Friends in Memphis close to Beanlands...

SoonerPanic starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 02:26PM

Lots of negative feedback out there. If you don't like what is going on w/the band then quit going to shows and buying CDs. As for me, I thought GMAC did a great job (and I saw both GMAC and Houser). I trust JB & Co. will make the right decison on who they want hire, Keane, Trucks, a homeless guy, whoever! It is their band and should hire whoever they feel comfortable with. We should all be thankful that they keep wanting to make music. As for me, I am ready for them to light up Chicago and set the town on fire. See you in Chi-town!

anderballs star Thu 8/3/2006 02:27PM

seriously people...if your favorite ballclub trades away your favorite player for one you don't like, what are you going to do, stop going to ballgames? stop rooting for your team?

panic rocked with mikey, they rocked with george, and they'll still rock after george. all that should matter is that you can still go to a show and have a good time.

franklinberger starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 02:39PM

franklinberger

I'll be at the Indy show next week. Weird turn of events. Should be an interesting vibe. To further the debate and toss in my two cents with regard to a new player, I would like to see Charlie Hitchcock get a try-out. Underrated, undervalued, underworked. His introspective style (like Mickey's, and the rest of the band, for that matter) might fit. Then again, it might be like an express train plowing into a vegetable cart.... If he makes the band, well, you heard it here first.

MissT star Thu 8/3/2006 02:53PM

Must say I am so sad it hurts. George proved himself very worthy in my opinion and his smile and enthusiasm told me that he was where he belonged, WITH MY BOYS. I thought his licks were more interesting than MH's, and I never liked how MH always sat down while he played. I was disturbed this summer by JK's presence, and the constant Sam Holt sit-ins for the past 2 years got OLD. JK is not a rock & roll star!

I always was so glad that Panic never gave into the ego trips, the drama, all that crap that brings a band down. I really hope and pray that this isn't the end of an era. Stop with the Jimmy/Derek rumors!!!!! I'm keepin' track of you, George... don't go far. JB & DAS, if you are reading this... your fans deserve more of an explanation!@!! And you need to pay George more respect in this matter. I've said my piece... bygones.

jasonthehead star Thu 8/3/2006 02:56PM

jasonthehead

HELLO!!! AARON!!!??? KAYCEMAN!!!!!!??? WHERE ARE YOU!!!??? WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS STORY???? WHAT IS THE REAL NEWS??? RUMORS ARE FLYING FAST AND FURIOUS AND NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED, AND A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE GETTING TRASHED FOR NO REASON AT ALL. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S UP AND YOU ARE THE WRITER WHO CAN FIND OUT!!! JAMBASE NEEDS TO GET THE GUY WITH THE MOST INSIDE JUICE WITH WSP TO WORK AND GET US SOME NEWS...NOW PLEASE!!!

jasonthehead star Thu 8/3/2006 03:04PM

jasonthehead

Ok, so Jimmy Herring is officially onboard for the fall tour...although this site should be breaking that news, not me. I wonder if JH's addition will end up being permanent? I wonder if after the Fall tour people will even want it be permanent, because I know there will be PLENTY of ungrateful haters out there chiming in with more nonsense about this guy can't compare to Mikey, etc. etc.

highplains Thu 8/3/2006 03:09PM

highplains

Just saw on their site that they have named Herring as the new guitarist for this tour, but it does not indicate that it will last past this fall. Hell, at this point who knows what will happen next, I just wish George and the band the best and hope everything will work out for everyone. One thing I know for sure is it will take a lot more than this to ever waver my love for this band!

JohnVoss starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 03:13PM

JohnVoss

What the hell is going on???? Why are so many spreadheads talking shit about george? Ive seen enough panic shows to know that I wasnt the only one there, and I sure as hell wasnt the only one cheering!!!! It sucks they couldnt keep george, but I trust what the boys do. Ive seen them with mikey, ive seen them with dirty dozen, ive seen them with trey, and everytime they rocked my socks. LETS GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!!!!

StellaBlues1014 Thu 8/3/2006 03:31PM

StellaBlues1014

Mississippi girl living in Memphis loves you all!! Good luck Panic and same to you George!!

DAMONCORY Thu 8/3/2006 03:41PM

DAMONCORY

Face it, Panic is still one of the best live bands out there, I saw many shows with both Mike & George, and thought the band sounded great. Sure I prefer Mikey, he was a huge force in the development of their sound. My 2 cents = If you cant appreciate what this band does live regardless of who plays guitar you dont know jack%$#& about good live/jam/rock music.

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 03:49PM

Tony8

Jimmy Herring! No way! I wonder if this is permanent or another one of Jimmy's fill in situations.....??????

ryan420 starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 03:54PM

ryan420

Yes, members continue to play their old material, Ratdog, Phil and friends, Planet drum, ARE different bands, and are not the Grateful dead. Phish have hung up their hat with pride, after they realized after another try, it wasnt working. With all the original members still kickin'. By all means I do hope Panic does keep doing their best, keep people dancing and happy. But, how many people have to quit or die off before they realize its not what it used to be? History does and will repeat itself.

Mr. Aaron starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 03:55PM

Mr. Aaron

WTF? Herring is way too cool for Panic. Oh well, the man has got to eat!

Tony8 Thu 8/3/2006 04:44PM

Tony8

"Ladies and gentleman...we'd like to welcome our good friend Mr. Jimmy Herring on the guitar".......

jahrome17 starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 04:47PM

AWESOME

Jimmy Herring is one of the best guitarists out there. I never was interested in going to see WSP with George, but with Jimmy, I'm definitely going to have to check them out. Only thing is that I don't know exactly how Jimmy will gel with WSP...Jimmy tends to be a bit on the jazzy side. We'll see...

phialpha starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 05:21PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

jackass1025 starstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 07:19PM

I have been a Widespread fan for a long time and I just do not understand the amount of crap that some fans give George. George brought an ungodly amount of electricity to the live shows. The Portsmouth shows of last summer were the greatest shows I have ever seen from anyone. George brought the heat and played like a man possessed. I do not feel like George got a fair shake. He is way too talented to be made to feel like an outsider. His style fit in well with JB and Schools. I hear a lot of bitching about George's playing style and I guess that is a matter of opinion. But you never hear anything about JoJo not being able to sing a note or Nance's sloppy playing. Those two point are undebateable.

johnnygsubshack Thu 8/3/2006 09:00PM

Wow! I have never heard a bunch of winey, snivelin' bitches wine a/b a guitarist in my long musical life. Point, Mikey died RIP, Mikey picked George, George is not Mikey, but Mikey did hand pick George. So I wish all of you negitive, spoiled rotten, amature music want-a-be's will lay off bashing damn good musicians!

ps Jimmy H won't spend much time with the band and guitar TECH does not equal lead guitarist!

jerryil starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 09:20PM

jerryil

For all of you people who just want to bitch: Go out and play some music and quit wasting your time with pointless commentary. Then, you would see that it's fun, and it's fun regardless of who you're playing with. To say something like "it's not what it used to be, so you should quit...." You're right, it's not what it used to be. That's great, it's new, it's refreshing, it's great to play with new folks. It would be fantastic if Mikey was still the guitarist. Unfortuately, that can't happen. So.... let's all cry and give up and go our separate ways, or..... let's play some fucking music. Appreciate it for what it is. If you really like Panic's songs you'll always like them. If you really like the words of Robert Hunter, you probably still like to go see Phil and / or Ratdog. Do we all bitch about so and so doesn't sound like Jerry? No, we all pretend that Trey sounds just like him :) (note: Trey DOES NOT SOUND LIKE JERRY). But, we still go, we still dance, and we still sing. It doesn't matter.... "Let there be songs, to fill the air."

tnfreaker Thu 8/3/2006 10:01PM

I was at the Louisville shows. When Sam Holt came out for the 2nd set first night the place went electric. Listen to that set. Sam Holt, Sam Holt, Sam Holt, Sam Holt...

jcrew star Thu 8/3/2006 10:01PM

Just a thought. Maybee the George bashers should halt until they hear what the new combo sounds like. I enjoyed George's style of playing and I hope he continues his musical career. I mean, lay off the guy. Its got to be hard being Housers replacement and subject to so much doubt and negativity.

Jammer1086 starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 10:15PM

Jammer1086

F**KING A RIGHT! I can't wait to hear the new shows! hope to see you all in MD!

bdobby starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 10:31PM

So, speaking of false analogies "when the beatles and the grateful dead lost key members, they ceased to be." What key member did the Beatles lose? Stu Sutcliff? Pete Best? The band broke up - it wasn't like John left and they brought in Long John Baldry to replace him. And I guess Pigpen was not a key member, or Keith Godchaux (I won't mention Donna)?

wyldbill1952 starstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 11:00PM

wyldbill1952

Hey Aaron, should have known you'd be here. Your comment is so true.

apaloosa starstarstarstar Thu 8/3/2006 11:50PM

Never saw Panic with Mikey. I've seen them with McConnel and wasn't impressed with what he was doing. Jimmy Herring as an addition is going to kick them up a notch for sure.
I look forward to seeing some of the fall tour.

jackass1025 starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 02:26AM

JoeyTheFoot starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 04:16AM

JoeyTheFoot

And Away we Go!!!!!!! Give me some southern lovin now boys and we'll be good to go. Panic in Atlanta is all I need..Or Well Asheville to thats closer!! Anyways It's good to see that Jimmy joined the band. Great Fucking NewS!!

lovejahlive Fri 8/4/2006 05:26AM

lovejahlive

Can't wait to hear the real story behind this.Carpal tunnell rumors have been floating around for a while but now this fight on the bus story comes along.
this is just another chapter in the evolving story of our music.Jimmy herring is AMAZING,and I think he is a very interesting choice for Panic.I do have to agree that there are others who SEEM like they would be more suited to Panics sound:Trey is one,Warren obviously another.But honestly kidz Trey isn't looking for a band to play with full time(think vegoose)and warren would never go for it either.MY humble opinion is that this may be the best move that WSP could have made.If they really make him a member of the band and dont just expect him to play Georges or Mikeys "part" then it could really revitalize the band and the scene.

tagnab Fri 8/4/2006 05:58AM

Doesn't seem too long ago we were lamenting the WSP Hiatus. Now we have heavy touring and the complaints don't stop. GMAC did a great job considering the shoes he had to fill. Stop over analyzing every nuance and enjoy the great music WSP continues to crank out.

kjk81 Fri 8/4/2006 06:04AM

So is Herring joining the band now, or for the fall tour? Who will be at Portsmouth this weekend? Just not going to be the same this year, we will miss you George!!!!!!

the Horse starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 06:18AM

the Horse

Well, this was coming for a long time. To bad that some people couldn't give George a break, he was doing just fine and adjusting everyday. WSP was starting a new path, which for me was the way to go and so many people bashed on George. Don't get me worng, Jimmy is and has been one of my favorite guitarist since the zambi days of ARU, but now we have to deal with people coming to see Widespread just because of Jimmy. What does this od for us now, give us one or two years with Jimmy, then he moves on and someelse gets in, just crazy to me.

Hans starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 07:11AM

Hans

And somehow we go from horrible news for fans to INCREDIBLE NEWS.... my face is already melting in preparation for upcoming shows with Jimmy!

When I look back on my life as an old man, Jimmy is going to be one of those figures that somehow unobtrusively crept into all my musical adventures... I mean what other musician gets to dive into so many different scenarios and succeed! So often you get to really come to love certain musicians, but so much of your time seeing them is in one context, mainly one band and body of music. Jimmy I've rocked out to playing with the Allmans, best Phil lineup in 01/02, Dead & Dylan 03 + Wave that Flag Dead tours - and now PANIC...talk about overwhelming.

TennJedEye starstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 07:45AM

If I had a band, I would love to have Jimmy Herring playing lead guitar for me. The killer Phil and Friends and even the new Dead were both the best they could be because of Jimmy and Warren. If Jimmy can't play for the Dead or the Allmans, and his own bands don't seem to draw that big, it is probably a great gig for him to play for WSP, I think its good for him and its good for them. I've only seen a few WSP shows, but now I'm thinking of going to many more.

Tony8 Fri 8/4/2006 07:48AM

Tony8

Good point jackass1025. Theses comments I see about Buckethead....I wish I had what you were smokin'. Buckethead is great and all...but in Panic....??? That would be so silly!

tuna1 starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 07:53AM

George was good, but Jimmy is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skinny2 starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 08:09AM

i liked george and will miss him but i am not to sad about JH joining the band either tho. keep on truckin panic! see ya in portsmouth

deadpig79 Fri 8/4/2006 08:18AM

deadpig79

congratulations you crybaby panic bitches, you finally did it. You made a perfectly good musican and made him leave the band you "love". No he's not mikey but give it up he's dead. Would you rather panic stop playing? retire? No one will be Mikey. Let Panic play and shut your mouths.

id rather be phishing starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 08:19AM

id rather be phishing

woahhhh!!! Herrings comming to boston too!! haa!!

linsbee314 starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 08:20AM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! I knew it!
For a minute I was thinking they'd just do a Sam and Keane thing and I would've been okay with that. But WOW! This is soooooo much better. For all my fellow Panic fans floating out there in cyberspace...we are one lucky bunch! See yuh tomorra nite!

Pete starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 08:27AM

Pete

I am going tonight! Whicked excited.

Roos Fri 8/4/2006 09:01AM

WORD!! This will be fantastic!

LONG LIVE PANIC

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 09:26AM

I am extremely happy Herring is joining the band. George had a good run, I watched him dig deep into the dark side 4-20-05 in salem va. He had his moments, and october of 2003 George on acoustic in nashville with Vasser on stage, was lovely!! Good memories.. Holt and Keane louisville KY, good memories.. Download louisville, it was out of control, especially the second nite. Panic is professional, they drive the groove where it needs to be for them, not for US. Trust WSP, they will do the right thing, My god, louisville was freaking amazing, now I cant even comprehend what it will be like when Herring settles in really nicely.
Jimmy has worked very hard for a long long time, he deserves this chance, AND he has the musical expertise to fit into anything he is asked to. Herring is professional, just like Panic.. It was momentous to see holt and keane in louisville, and it will be momentous to see Herring in Panic too. Quit ur complaining, TRUST PANIC to do what is best for them. Peace Ya'll..

mikeyz starstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 09:48AM

this story is utterly ridiculous.(not the article, but the news) Jimmy Herring is way too creative and talented to be locked down in the lame jams of widespreas Panic. JH is one of the most talented fusion-esque type players out there and i personally believe he is signing on just to gain more fans for his other outlets...how can the man responsible for the sick sounds of project z and aru let himself get locked down into the monotonay (sp?) of this lacadasical musical group called panic?? I believe this will hurt Jimmy more than it helps by holding his insane style back to laid back "lingering" guitar lines that all end up back into the same boring songs wp has always played..

Shoney starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 10:15AM

can't wait for Herring and Panic at the tower! See you in MD tonite!

jamcamdvd starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 10:16AM

Here's a little taste of Jimmy (w/the Codetalkers) from the new JamCam DVD (20th Annual J. Garcia B'day Bash) that'll be out as soon as Bob Weir and Ratdog (yep, they're on it, too) give it the official go-ahead. Enjoy!
www.jamcamdvd.com/videos/high/CTyieldtemptation0204.wmv

gamecockVA Fri 8/4/2006 10:39AM

anyone have any extra tickets for the merriweather show??

cocheese Fri 8/4/2006 10:47AM

cocheese

so GMac left Panic huh, and Jimmy Herring is taking his place, okay whatever man, just tell me when the show starts. This like some dumbass soap opera BS. LGTSOTR! Just another road to adventure down and I'll either take another road or keep on truckin'!

phhil starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 10:48AM

phhil

I think Herring is a much better guitarist than Mikey and George(and probably almost any other guitar player you could compare him to) but where is going to be in two years? Is he in it for the long hall? I think he's a super wizard on guitar, but he has been in so many projects that it doesn't seem likley for him to settle down with one gig. I hope he does become a permanent member, but if he doesn't I don't think it's to healthy for a band to revolve their cast so much. Rather than find the most bad ass you can find for a tour or two, find someone who you can grow and mature with. Only time will tell though. I'm merely a music fan with an opinion.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 11:16AM

PHHIL.. I agree Jimmy hopefully will be with them for the rest of their days. He needs to settle in with a band that can KEEP him a long time. However, "unhealthy for a band to keep rotating"... Do you know who Robert Walters is? Keys for greyboy allstars? I talk to him everytime I see him, and he has not had the same band of his own since he started with 20th congress, then there goes the neighboorhood, then Giving up the ghost, then Super heavy organ. Each band with a different lineup and I asked him why? He says music can stagnate if you keep the same people together for too long, if WSP feels a stagnation with a particular member of the band, then they must change it to suit themselves, after-all, they want to keep from unhealthy stagnation, so they look elsewhere for someone that can FIT better into what they do. I respect your opinion, and respect Robert Walters opinion too. I Hope that my insight makes some sense to you and please dont take this as an attack on anyone, I am just a music fan too. Peace Yall..

franklinberger Fri 8/4/2006 11:57AM

franklinberger

Let Jimmy jam in Indy next week. I'll buy the plane ticket. They shoot, they score. Nicely done Men of Panic.

dfinken starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 01:01PM

I will miss George and thought he ripped it up while he was with the band, but I am also excited to check Jimmy's first shows at Radio City Music Hall. Glad to see they're starting the Fall run in my neck of the woods. Widespread Panic always holds it down and always will...these guys are the ultimate professionals and will always hold it down on stage. I'm glad they made a quick decision instead of having rumors flying around for months on the permanent replacement. Best of luck to Jimmy and George!!

WILBUR!!! starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 02:26PM

WILBUR!!!

it's just another turn in the long and winding road of widespread panic. Herring will fit in PERFECTLY but in his own creative and unusual way. Expect a new sound and an uprecidented tour. At this very moment I still can't beleive that this is actually happening and how lucky we are for loving this band until their last day.
Ps. I think that it is very well possible that my head might finally explode sometime in october. Long live WP!!!

Deji starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 02:26PM

Give George a freaking break! The man played his heart out and he had big shoes to fill after Mikey died. Replacing Mikey would be like trying to replace Trey Anastasio if phish where still around. IT IS IMPOSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO STEP TO THE PLATE AND BE LIKE MIKEY IN A TIGHT NICHE FAMILY BAND!!! Stop bitching and enjoy the music while it's around because if PANIC quit's tomorrow, you guys would start bitching again and wish George was still around. If any of y'll can get anywhere close to where George got in the industry then you might have a right to make a comment, if you can't... SHUT THE **** UP AND SAY THANKS TO GMAC!!!

lostsurfer Fri 8/4/2006 02:58PM

Wow, what is up with some of you people. I can't even begin to fathom some of the comments on this post. Does anyone remember the Vince? It wasn't so long ago. I'm sure things are hard enough without all these comments. Would you say this to someones face? Most of you would probably blow your load if you even got the chance to talk to george for a minute or two. Ease up already. Just enjoy the music that's being put out, by whoever it is that's putting it out, if you don't like it, don't listen. Change is inevitable in everything, just roll with it. And as far as music goes, it's something that is special enough to be shared with you, don't take that for granted. I'm sure if you were/are a musician, you'd play with the people you wanted to create with, not who some rude person, who claims to be a fan thinks would be better for them to hear...

pat5507 starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 05:09PM

pat5507

they're back! so sad that george's leaving, but damn what a replacement!!!!!!!!!!!11

colotic starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 06:02PM

GMAC rocked and will continue to soar...right on for jimmy "found a home" but for how long... whats with the retirement of WSP after the new year 2006 show.

Mightyquinn Fri 8/4/2006 06:34PM

OH NO!! Jimmy Herring is actually JOINING WSP?!?!? Does that mean I'm actually gonna have to go see a show by this EXTREMELY overrated band?

derwood1 starstarstarstar Fri 8/4/2006 06:46PM

I never thought george would fit with panic. I keeped on telling myself,they just need time to get use to each other.But it never reached the point where the band could read each other and go into those jams seeming like everything was so natural.Hopfully Jimmy can bring all that back.

LandoGriffin Fri 8/4/2006 08:41PM

Wow. For a band that is irritated by comparisons to the Grateful Dead, the Herring thing is really funny to me. Why don't they just start playing 2 sets, with a "drumz>space" segment in the middle of the second set. Oh, and add a cute little encore, each night with an extra one sometimes, if its a "hot show". Make sure its identified on your media of choice with a cute little "E:". Or maybe they should start segueing tunes together using a cute little ">" thing. Or maybe start reffering to their bass player's "side" as the "Schools Zone". That's really un-Dead-like! Maybe do an arrangement of Dear Mr. Fantasy that sounds an awful lot like some other band's commercially released version. Oh, wait a minute. This has been going on for years. Somehow I don't think its all the band's fault. I wonder who really perpetuates these blatant conceptual rip-offs? George McConnell brought some originality to what was generally a predictable situation. At least I never saw any member of the Dead checking out ESPN while playing a show! Jimmy Herring will soon tire of the band not being able to hang with him, but I bet it pays well. Can't wait to hear McConnell's new project.

loyalfamily Sat 8/5/2006 09:52AM

loyalfamily

Nice replacement, I may have to check that band out. Finally going to a Widespread show, oh no.

Love Jimmy!

Rock and Roe,
Joshua
Loyal Family

lovemusicfood starstar Sat 8/5/2006 11:25AM

Blah, He wasn't that interesting with Phil & Friends. I've enjoyed every line up of Phil and Friends that didn't have Jimmy Herring or Warren Haynes. Who's playing at Camp Bisco?

thelostsailor Sat 8/5/2006 11:55AM

First of all, let's all be nice! :)
Never saw the McConnell Panic, but I'm sure they still carried the fire that would be hard to put out. Houser Panic carried some unreal energy, unrivaled by ANY band. Jimmy H is PFBA and I'm sure he'll keep the fire burning. Now if WP will just come up to the NORTH, I'll get to see them again!

fsu420 Sat 8/5/2006 12:19PM

herring is going to take panic to new heights. while mikey was great and fit the band well, i see herring as a better overall player and regardless what anyone says, after a few shows of jimmy getting used to things, these guys are going to connect and we'll hear a better panic than i think weve ever seen. just a prediction.....

hansonsucks Sat 8/5/2006 02:47PM

I didnt get into Panic untill after Houser died so i never got a chance to see him. I saw the band with George at Bonnaroo 2005 and they blew my mind. Even though it was the special guests that made both shows(especially Warren on night one.) Too bad Warren is so busy because he is THE man for Panc. No one's style fits with Panic better then Warren. Jimmy will do a good job and I hope they try to make the sound diffrent.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Sat 8/5/2006 03:01PM

seriously.. this in-between george and herring is pretty sick.. I am not kidding... Louisville was off the hook..
I cant believe Holt and Keane rocked like they did... peace yall..

drobert420 starstarstarstar Sat 8/5/2006 04:11PM

I'll definitely miss George, but they couldn't have made a much better choice with Herring. Kudos. Can't wait to catch them in the fall.

funkjester starstarstar Sat 8/5/2006 04:50PM

Well, well, well.

I have to say that I liked George fine with Panic. I was in Indianapolis for one of the first shows he did with the band, a few nights after Mikey went on home to Athens, and right from the start he had some awesome moments, like the "Ain't No Use," which was as fierce or fiercer than any version I'd seen Nocentelli do with the Meters, and I lived in New Orleans for 14 years, living and breathing as a member of Neville Nation.

But there were some lame times, too, at least at the beginning. The Detroit show that year a few nights later was pedestrian, at best. You could tell George was muddling through on many of the numbers, still not completely fluent in the Panic songbook.

But after the hiatus in particular, I thought George really stepped up to the plate like a champ. His work on the studio stuff in between showed some stellar moments, like "Rebirtha," "Old Neighborhood" and "Arleen" from "Night of Joy." And he was awesome at Radio City in New York the spring before last, just awesome, in the best room I've ever been privvy to see Panic in, and I've seen 'em all over this great land.

No, George was not Mikey, but who is? It's hard to replace a founding member who made a huge contribution to their signature sound. But, though his style was very different than Houser's, George more than contributed mightily to Panic.

Still, if he's got to move on down the road, I can't think of a better pairing than Jimmy Herring for the Panic. WOW.

Herring, to me, bridges the gap between the psychedelic sound of the West Coast and the backwoods swamp-funk of Down South, with a healthy dose of both fusion and ass-kicking rock and roll thrown in. I think he's an even better choice for the gig than Warren, and I really hoped for Warren when news of Mikey's illness first broke.

I remember first discovering just how good Jimmy Herring was, and that was at Alpine Valley.

Though I had heard friends rave for years, heard some work with Col. Bruce and such, I was never really into Phil, more into Bobby's thing, but when I heard Warren at the reunion shows, I walked away both nights shaking my head, and thinking, "if Jimmy was not here to play for the old man, no way this gig was happening."

I'm not really sure that carried over to the "Wave the Flag" Tour...I was busy fighting health problems and dealing with the birth of my son then, so not on the road much at than time and didn't hear or see any of those shows, but I heard a lot of mixed and lukewarm things.

But I know one thing, and that's what my ears heard both nights at Alpine Valley, and the work I've heard Herring do in the years since then, and I can't help but think he's a natural to fit in with Skoolboy and JB and Sunny.

This is gonna be good....yeah, you right!

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!

tyjernigan starstarstarstarstar Sun 8/6/2006 12:43PM

THANK GOD THEY DIDNT CHOOSE WARREN... I HAVE SEEN THE DEAD WITH WARREN AND I HAVE SEEN PHIL WITH WARREN>>> GOVT MULE THE WHOLE NINE AND WARREN IS GREAT AT HIS OWN WORK .... BUT WITH THE DEAD HE MADE THE WHOLE EXPIERIENCE JUST KIND OF SHITTY..... HOWEVER JIMMY IS GOING THE BE THE FUCKING SHIT!!!!!

THANKS FOR NOT PICKING WARREN!!!!!

breckenridgejam Sun 8/6/2006 02:30PM

breckenridgejam

The Winter Park shows were unbelievable and a great way for me to close the WSP chapter that included GMAC, especially hearing "Don't be Denied" as one of the last songs with George. I've seen plenty of shows with GMAC and with Mikey, I must say it was a rough transition at first but George had to manipulate his bluesy style to fill the void left by Mikey's Southern Rock-twange which gave Panic their distinctive sound. I can remember vividly the feeling my friends and I had at the Milwaukee show when we did not see Mickey's chair setup. It felt like someone punching me in the stomach and ripping my guts out to show me! Randall and George brought a new blues based southern rock vibe to Panic, which was a little more uplifting than the darker Panic we are all use to. This was good at the time since everyone was so bummed out about Mikey and left with the feeling of speculation of whats to come. The bottom line is that George pulled his weight and let us enjoy Panic during a time sorrow. Now 4 years later, GMAC did what he was brought into the band to do and now it's time to move on and explore new sound and possibilities. You can tell that from their newest album. Don't get me wrong, I like GMAC alot and he is a great person for what he did for Panic. Although with Jimmy now entering the picture we can look foward to amazing things to come. Jimmy will be able to bring exceptional impovisational jamming and the dark space phunk jams that have been laccking in the recent years. I'm super stoked for what the future holds for WSP and for us, the home team crew. I can't wait to see what Keane and Holt have in store for us in Chicago!!! See y'all on the fall tour and peace out to the Home Team.

LandoGriffin Sun 8/6/2006 09:08PM

Now I hear Sunny's on the way out. I also heard he voted to keep G in. Can anyone confirm this?

bplus starstarstar Mon 8/7/2006 11:34AM

I liked George a lot. I thought his jams were unpredictable, his style and his smile full of energy, and I really liked when he sang too. The "If You'se a Viper" song at the Wiltern was one of my favorite panic moments ever. Also, no one else has mentioned his great acousic sound on Uber Cobra and so one. Good luck to George!

Putnameter starstarstarstar Mon 8/7/2006 11:37AM

Putnameter

Jimmy Herring is my favorite guitarist in current jam lineups. Ive never been a WSP fan, but Jimmy will definetly make this band awesome! His charisma and amazing chops will put WSP in the center light! This band will be taken to high levels that they have never before experienced. I will now be very excited when I catch panic. Long live Jimmy!!! WE LOVE YOU! Do not forget the allmans and the dead though...they still need you brother!

FormulaOBX Mon 8/7/2006 01:17PM

Schools for Presidente'.....

blower starstarstarstar Mon 8/7/2006 05:11PM

Thanks GMAC it was good! Bring on the Herring! Check out the video with on his website with Bernie and Sipes. Pretty much answers all my questions about him kicking butt with Panic. Look out!

tyjernigan-when you hear all the bitching and moaning about haters etc... You break the mold buddy, I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE ALL CAPS THING. It seperates you from all the other tools who have such pressing important things to say about bands they never seen or musicians they don't like to just be a dick.

I'll play the game-Only you thought Warren Haynes would be Panics new guitiar player. Why? Because both JB and Warren are leading men. Who is going to sing Going out West? What you have never heard the song? What a suprise I would have thought you knew what you were talking about.

What does Warren and the Dead have to do with Panic? Other than to somehow make you feel better about yourself. Go live in your own fantasy and let us enjoy Panic, Mule and the Dead (with Warren) without you. You won't be missed. By the way I disagree about the Dead. Jimmy did a fine job of sounding like the supporting cast, where Warren brought soul and vocals. Soul? Remember Jerry? No you never saw Jerry either? Wow what a shock!

bird55 Mon 8/7/2006 10:19PM

Please check out this story if you have time. Don't know if it still rings true, but it is good to remember how this all happened and the position George was asked to step in to. Thanks George. We love you and always stood on your side of the stage. You rock and we hope that everything in your world turns out. We are fans forever no matter who you play with.
Copy the link to your browser to read it.

Panic in the Cave starstarstar Tue 8/8/2006 10:07AM

Panic in the Cave

I'm way way happy about Jimmy. I grew up with Mikey Panic here in GA since '87 (Mikey and I were born the same year) and was fortunate to see the Aquarium Rescue Unit. I have been following Jimmy, the Col., Panic and friends ever since. When Mikey passed away it really ripped me apart. Especially hearing GMAC trying Suprise Valley in Atlanta that NYEE. My first thought of a replacement for Mikey was Jimmy. I've heard Jimmy roar through incredible jams. He is such a capable player but beyond that he can improv with the best of them. This really bodes well for my long time favorite touring band. I can't wait to see them in full cohesive fury. The six headed monster is back (or will soon be).

Thanks George for some great memories. Best wishes and love.

phlailin1212 Tue 8/8/2006 11:39AM

ok ,well george wasnt the best guitarist in the world, but after a long battle to find his way with the band, he's gone. i remeber feeling that when mikey died, the band was doomed. especially after i saw gmac with the band the first time. he was slow and not to up on the bands song lists. i remember in raleigh 05 the friday show was good but the saturday show sounded like a shitty cover band, but like great bands do, panic preservered and in 06 i thought the band was finally sounding like the panic of ol'. now, for whatever reason, the band is starting over with jimmy. i love jimmy, but am not convinced that he'll stay longer than a few tours.it will definetly be interesting to hear. by the way, what was the real story? did they kick gmac out or what? who else was in the running for replacement. good luck george!

earlofkent Tue 8/8/2006 02:56PM

earlofkent

For all of you that maybe going to Cleveland on Thursday:

Be very cautious of drinking and other illegalities coming and going to Blossom Music Center. The law has been real Dicks lately, setting up sobriety checkpoints after and randomly searching vehicles (with dogs) going into the concert venue. Blossom is a bit out in the sticks, and there are few entrances and exits, which makes it a prime target area for such bullshit. Would hate to have anyone's time ruined by the overzealous, thug, a.hole law enforcement with nothing better to do.

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/8/2006 03:40PM

EVILFUNK

nice!

treehugginpanicfreak starstarstarstar Wed 8/9/2006 07:28AM

I have mixed emotions about the recent news. I am very sad to see George go, but psyched to see where the band will take us next with Jimmy Herring. He is an awesome talent and a great improvisational guitarist. I do hope his commitment is long term and not just for a tour or two. Our musical journey is like any other in life, there will always be unexpected detours. One thing I feel is faith that the boys will not let us down. They will survive, thrive, and continue to blow our minds for years to come. Now for my thoughts on George; whether you are a fan of George or not, he deserves respect and credit for what he accomplished. It wasn’t easy to step up and try to fill the shoes of Michael Houser. He never filled those shoes completely, but neither will Jimmy nor anyone else. George did however give us his heart and soul, rising to an enormous challenge and stepping up to do his best while facing pressure and criticism from every direction. He may not have been able to channel the magic of Mikey, but he did help the band make new magic, taking the songs in a new direction while still respecting the original Panic sound. I saw 6 shows last year and was never once disappointed. I give the boys (including George) tremendous respect and gratitude for the graceful way they handled tragedy, overcame obstacles, and continued to give us beautiful music. Thanks George for some truly awesome shows, and for giving us an era of Panic history that I will always cherish. I will definitely check out any future musical endeavor that you pursue. And to Jimmy, I welcome you with open arms, an open heart, and an open mind.
Love and Peace :)

DiscoStu65 Wed 8/9/2006 12:32PM

I was at George's 2nd show in Kansas City, 7/5/02, and we were all dissapointed when we didn't see Mikey's rig. But you know what?, the show went on. Some of the tunes were a little rough, but we still had fun. Instead of bashing George, we all need to thank him. Because without him, our favorite band might not be around anymore. While I'm pumped for what Jimmy's gonna bring to the table, I'm very appreciative of what George did. He brought a different sound to Panic. Mikey's gone and it sucks, I still remember being at the Blookin show in Raleigh the night we found out he had passed. Bottom line is, Widespread Panic, Widespread George, Widespread Jimmy, Widespread (insert name)... as JB said, there's still music to play and for that, i'm very thankful

breckenridgejam Thu 8/10/2006 11:21AM

breckenridgejam

Everybody take time out of your day to remember what a great person and musician Michael Houser was. Throw on an old show and light one up for good ole Mikey. God bless and rest peace my brave friend.

mattdred25 starstarstarstar Fri 8/11/2006 01:20AM

This article covers good and to the point information regarding the current situation of Widespread Panic. However, it seems a further explanation of what exactly took place that led to GMAC leaving mid-tour is necessary. It seems as if an overwhelimngly majority of Panic fans on this site have created a competition between Mikey and George, Mikey and Jimmy, and George and Jimmy. I have a couple of things to say about this issue that I would like to address. As the original guitar player to a band like WSP, the crowd became very knowledgable about Mikey's signature licks and solos. Having only seen Mikey playing with Panic in the DVD's Panic in the Streets and Live at Oak Mountain, it is clear Mikey has immense talents while playing the guitar. Everything he does comes straight from his heart and his singing on Airplane makes me want to shed a tear at times. Having grown up in really the GMAC era of Widespread Panic I have to say that I have grown to love GMAC as both a person and as a guitar player. My first Panic show was in 2003 at the Wiltern Theatre and he blew me away. He ranks pretty high up there among the best guitar shredders and most gifted and talented players currently in the "jam" scene. I have seen WSP with GMAC about 13 or 15 times now and they are some of my favorite shows I have ever been to. I carry so many memories from each show and from each song. Sine GMAC has left the band and now will pursue in other interests, stepping up to the plate is Jimmy Herring. I have only seen Jimmy Herring play live twice, once with the Dead in the Summer of 04 and once with Phil and Friends a couple years back. He is without a doubt a top notch guitar player and I think he will add an all new dimension to the group. He fits in perfectly for the boys and I cant wait until they come around to Michigan during the school year or Los Angeles for the summer... Bringon the Panic 4 ever.....

Schmoovella starstarstar Tue 8/15/2006 11:37AM

I saw Panic several times with Mikey and loved them. Saw some of George's early shows with them and, while rocky, I chalked it up to his newness and the band getting over their loss. Then I saw a show in Seattle about a year or so ago and they blew me away. Saw them at the Greek in Berkely in July and it may have been one of the best shows I have ever seen them do.

I never understood the nastiness some fans displayed toward George. I thought he was just fine. No one is going to ever play like Mikey and I'm not really sure I'd want someone to anyway. I'd rather see someone honor him by borrowing some of his style in addition to their own.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I thank George for some tremendous performances and wish him all the best. And I look forward to seeing Jimmy Herring and fully expect the guys will knock my socks off many more times.

panties starstarstarstar Tue 8/15/2006 01:53PM

I must say that George had to step into some very big shoes and he faced a lot of pressure after Mikey's passing. A lot of people expected or hoped that WP would sound the same or better as they did with Mikey (God rest his soul). To me, Mikey was the sound of panic. Many people criticized Mikey's style of playing when he was alive, and then after his passing, the same people realized his brilliance and musical talent that he brought to the table. I definitely feel that WP rushed into hiring George as their full-time lead guitarist. However, the band was in a tough spot, and we should thank George for giving his all to help the band continue. I do think that George maybe tried to hard to differentiate himself from Mikey's sound. He tried a more strait forward (bluesy if you will) style instead of flowing up and down the neck with the music. In my opinion, it didn't mesh well with the band. I am extremely excited to hear that Jimmy is joining the band. He was my first thought of a replacement (as if anyone could replace Mikey's song writing abilities and heart.) But, Jimmy is going to push and challenge the band. I can't wait for Schools and Herring to start feeding off each other taking the sound to new directions and many alternate tangents. I look forward to all the new possibilities, and I am more excited to see the band than I have been in years!

rjd999 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/16/2006 06:48AM

Jimmy shreds... He was on fire during ARU's set at All Good. Cant wait to catch yet another revamped Panic at the Charlottesville Pavilion... back to back nights!

hiddentreasure Mon 8/21/2006 04:48PM

This new Panic should go off like a red Herring.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Tue 8/22/2006 11:40AM

MIKEYZ.... Lame jams?? How dare you.. U are obviously an idiot. If schools and jo jo dont bring madness to the mayhem, then you need a new pair of ears. Lame Jams???? U are probably a fan of UM... U idiot..

headiespreadie Wed 8/23/2006 10:08AM

Im with you MILESGONE, MIKEYZ is obviously a musical-moron... go on umphreys tour and stay there. I've been seeing the Panic boys for nearly 10 years now, and I trust/support their opinions and decisions, especially about their own band! If you dont thin Herring is stoked to be a part of Panic, then you truely need help. see all the rest of you on tour, this fall will be hot

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Mon 9/4/2006 02:42PM

The more I think about this, just listening back to Jazz is Dead shows and such. Jimmy Herring is gonna take panic up the the next level!!! It seems impossible.. but I bet he does.. With his talent and sick playing.. Its gonna be off the HOOK!!!!!!