SYD BARRETT: 1946-2006

Photo by Nick Hale
Syd Barrett, founding and influential member of the legendary rock group Pink Floyd has died at his home in England. He was 60.

The singer, who suffered from an LSD-induced breakdown while at the peak of his career in the Sixties, apparently died last Friday. It is unclear whether he died from complications related to diabetes or from cancer.

A spokesman for the band has said an official release on Syd's death is forthcoming.

JamBase | England
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 7/11/06]

Comments

jamnsalmon Tue 7/11/2006 10:45AM

Shine On You Crazy Diamond!

lonzo Tue 7/11/2006 11:11AM

A brilliant mind. Shine on.

Bylimb Tue 7/11/2006 11:12AM

Bylimb

WOW!...Syd Barrett. I wonder what kind of life he really lead? Did he pass in seclusion or was his family around...did he even have any family? I wonder who notified the boys? Roger will dedicate the rest of his tour to Syd, no doubt. David should also do something.

babcock18 Tue 7/11/2006 11:30AM

Although Syd has been in seclusion for decades this news still saddens me. Without Syd the world would have never experienced one of the greatest, most unique, bands/sounds of all time. His influence will be forever felt. May he Shine On for all eternity. R.I.P. Syd Barrett

Rinosquad Tue 7/11/2006 11:56AM

Hey if your friends locked you in closets on large doses of high-mic'd L, you'd go loony tunes to. Shine down Syd.

RedMule Tue 7/11/2006 12:01PM

RedMule

A beautiful mind that most of us probably couldn't understand. It's a big loss to the music community, but you spirit will live on.

daveapaug Tue 7/11/2006 12:06PM

daveapaug

If it wasnt for his meltdown what would the floyd have sounded like? Certainly Roger taking over the songwriting and storytelling might not have happened. Would Dave have stayed with the band if his role was only as supporting guitarist? I am going to listen to some fat 67 boots tonight... Shine on Syd, your star was truly brighter than even you knew....

Death Cube K Tue 7/11/2006 12:15PM

Death Cube K

The Pink Floyd story really something special. My love for their music and Roger Barrett's creative spirit will always shine on.

nick Tue 7/11/2006 12:19PM

[[[[[[[[[[syd]]]]]]]]]]maybe this will bring floyd back

philsy77 starstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 12:29PM

To me this is One of the most sadding news I have heard in the music industry since Jerry!!!!! Roger is true to his Roots for deicating the rest of his tour. I still think this might bring them back together for a last Hurrah!!! Syd you will truely Shine On in our hearts. Thank you for the wonderful band you have given us. Rest freely Brother!!!!

Very Sad To See This!!!!!

jellyphish Tue 7/11/2006 12:33PM

he was a genious RIP Syd.

Shineonsyd24 starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 02:15PM

Shineonsyd24

The world truely lost a great one....to think i has super Floyd hopped up for just gettin the pulse DVD....now i'll be wathing it in fond remembrance....RIP brother

dcpruyn starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 02:35PM

dcpruyn

Obscured By Clouds, and now up there in the Sky among other creative Cumulus formations for All to discover. His Being and musical ideas were like a bolt of Lightning that hit so close that you will never forget.

rollamcnut starstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 03:30PM

rollamcnut

Jugband Blues says it all.......Thanks Syd, We will miss you very much.

Ston starstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 03:45PM

Thank you Syd for your touching music. RIP.

okalrightic Tue 7/11/2006 03:47PM

sad news for any music fan anywhere...R.I.P.

Poly420 starstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 03:48PM

Poly420

I thought Syd Barrett died years ago. What the hell has he been doing since he left Pink FLoyd

georgeof420 Tue 7/11/2006 03:59PM

Another Great One passes on. Wish You Were Here.

All Loving Liberal White Guy Tue 7/11/2006 04:15PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

you were a genius who was always way ahead of your time. you music will always see that you shine on.

nomemory Tue 7/11/2006 05:51PM

nomemory

One of the greatest rock lyricist of the 20th century...

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here.
And I never knew the moon could be so big
And I never knew the moon could be so blue
And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes
And brought me here instead dressed in red
And I'm wondering who could be writing this song.

I don't care if the sun don't shine
And I don't care if nothing is mine
And I don't care if I'm nervous with you
I'll do my loving in the winter.

And the sea isn't green
And I love the Queen
And what exactly is a dream
And what exactly is a joke?"

JimiTwaing Tue 7/11/2006 05:53PM

Something needs to be said,. Syd influenced so many and will be missed
Shine On

rulosa01 Tue 7/11/2006 06:32PM

wow... such a tragic life and such a brilliant mind. I can not imagine what the world would be like without Syd's impact... rest in piece and shine on!

pfusion Tue 7/11/2006 06:53PM

Roger in the form of Syd was and is my greatest inspiration for music. You opened the doorway for all of us. I will keep it open and you are free to be in that space forever.

i'll see you again some day :)

smokinfloyd Tue 7/11/2006 09:14PM

RIP my friend

BansheeBeat starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 09:58PM

BansheeBeat

You will be missed Syd.... SHINE ON!!

mikemix Wed 7/12/2006 06:19AM

mikemix

Im with Poly420. All these wish you were heres are a lil wierd, i dont think he even wrote that song. And what was the last thing he did that was even considered talent be sides spill paint on canvas.Hmmmmmmmm! No Talent Or Just Wierd

boethius Wed 7/12/2006 06:53AM

ride that bike into the great beyond!!

SJ1998 Wed 7/12/2006 07:49AM

Maybe now Syd can finally rest. Rest in Peace Roger Barrett, you were ahead of your time musically and mentally and your presence will be noticed and permeate the world for here on. Hopefully this will get Pink Floyd together I can almost see it now the Pink Floyd reunion tour, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" a reunion in memory of Syd Barrett. What a touching tribute that would be. Make it happen, if it wasnt for him who knows where the rest of the guys from Pink Floyd would be. You guys owe it to him.

pat5507 Wed 7/12/2006 09:12AM

pat5507

way ahead of his time. Piper at the Gates of Dawn. We'll always remember

jellyphish Wed 7/12/2006 11:18AM

mikemix:"All these wish you were heres are a lil wierd, i dont think he even wrote that song." Wish you were here was written ABOUT syd. Roger wished Syd was there. and if you think Syd either had "no talent or was just weird" you need to LISTEN TO HIS MUSIC before you voice your opinions
show some respect
RIP Syd

winecorker Wed 7/12/2006 11:38AM

winecorker

Hey Mike and Poly. In the age of the internet, do a google search on Syd. There's plenty of info available on him. Oh and Mike, of course Syd didn't write 'Wish You Were Here'. The whole album was ABOUT him. He was the Crazy Diamond.

gd4life Wed 7/12/2006 11:40AM

R.I.P. Syd. you will never be forgotten. I think this may spark the floyd tour that we have all been waiting for. "Wish You Were Here"

babcock18 Wed 7/12/2006 12:30PM

Thank You winecorker...Syd is now playing that Great Gig in the Sky...wish I was there brother

BluesMan3 Wed 7/12/2006 02:07PM

Hopefully Syd finds all his friends in a peacful place. The dark side is no place for any artist of his caliber.

claypool4life Wed 7/12/2006 03:29PM

RIP to my favorite musician ever have fun and i hope to be at the great gig in the sky with you one day. even know he is dead he will always shine on

Pearhead starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/12/2006 04:38PM

Pearhead

I second that Jamnsalmon.... RIP SYD

Tony8 Wed 7/12/2006 04:51PM

Tony8

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett. Another sad loss! Hopefully something postive will come out of this....like Pink Floyd getting over their egos and touring TOGETHER AS PINK FLOYD.

lexslamman starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/12/2006 06:53PM

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!

sixstringbrad Wed 7/12/2006 09:14PM

sixstringbrad

Shine On Syd. You will be missed and your lagacy will continue to influence generations of musicians to come.

sunshine710 Thu 7/13/2006 06:01AM

May he jam the long jam in the great gig in the sky!

Shine On!

Ryan Thu 7/13/2006 07:47AM

Ryan

Come to beautiful Garrettsville, OH for a celebration of the life and music of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd! In the wake of the death of one of rock's most enigmatic musicians, Nelson Ledges Quarry Park will relive the magic of Syd's music with the Pink Floyd tribute band "Wish You Were Here." July 14-16. Also playing will be Sugar Magnolia (Grateful Dead), Mojo Risin' (Doors), Ragged Glory (Neil Young), Limelight (Rush), The Groove Prophets (original), The Kellys (original), and ModQuad (original). For more information go to www.NLQP.com or find the show on JamBase.
RIP, Uncle Syd!!!
Peace,
The Groove Prophets

Hayle Thu 7/13/2006 09:49AM

Syd - you are there, now rest in peace. You will forever be remembered. Shine on.

SplinteredSunlight Thu 7/13/2006 10:03AM

r.i.p. syd.
Trippy and prophetic that String Cheese busted out Shine On You Crazy Diamond at new years eve, forshadowing his passing this year...

dtwisco Fri 7/14/2006 07:55AM

SCI.. prophets? Hmm.. wouldn't have posted that.

hellyeah Fri 7/14/2006 10:56AM

yeah prophetic. i remember les claypool doing a shine on you at 2002 bonnaroo. he must be even more prophetic. i am sure if we looked at nostradomus he probably even mentioned this. all kidding aside, RIP Syd. panic did a nice two song floyd tribute that night out here in oregon. interstellar overdrive to astronomy domine, at least i think that last one is floyd too.

mikemix starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/14/2006 02:54PM

mikemix

Ok jellyfishSCI, Ok So I did not clareify exactly what I meant About His Talent- I have seen the docamentrys and Heard Early Floyd But I Still Belive that Music Is AN ART and not something you should wing in the name of art becase you thought its cool, concider the millions of people that baught early floyd after hearing new floyd. Sure they felt husteled by sid and his acid anntics and then force them selfs to say what an grate artist he was. I have Never Felt burned by Jerry Garcias artistry of music....Welcome to the Real music world where the artist will still from thier fans by shitting in thier ears. jellyfishSCI I will not be making it to the memorial( I have to work) please give a serman that will do sid justice. RIP RAIN MAN

BluesMan3 Sat 7/15/2006 08:32AM

its arguments like that, probably drove the guy to insanity Pink Floyd good band i don't think they solved anything with shine on crazy diamond. through years of listening to floyd i'd rather here see emily play, than another brick in the wall floyds music creates more problems than its worth. Gilmour should stick to blues. amen