SUMMERCAMP SITE IN LIMBO

SplitSquad By Brett Saul
After the most successful year of the SummerCamp Music Festival to date, officials at Three Sisters Park in Chillicothe, IL, have stated that they have decided to no longer be the venue for the popular multiple day music event. This decision was made after the park received a letter from an emergency room doctor at OSF Medical Center in Peoria, Illinois requesting that the park no longer host the festival.

“We feel that the park’s hasty decision was made based on a letter written by a doctor and signed by his subordinates,” stated promoter Jay Goldberg. “SummerCamp is a four day festival. Realistically, with four days of 85 plus degree weather, 20-30 medical situations is a fairly positive statement about the preparedness of our staff.” At this point there is a large grassroots campaign being started amongst local community members and business owners encouraging the park to reconsider its decision.

Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment has received multiple inquiries from other potential venues interested in hosting the SummerCamp Music Festival. Currently, five locations are being interviewed and explored. “We’ve all put too much heart, effort and passion into this festival to call it quits,” said Mike Armintrout, Director of Marketing for Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment. “Summer Camp will go on, whether it’s at Three Sisters Park or a new festival location”.

The SummerCamp Music Festival was started in 2001 at Three Sisters Park in Chillicothe, IL. The first year’s attendance was around 1,000 people and hosted around 20 bands on 2 stages over the course of two days. Since that first year, the Summer Camp Music Festival has grown to more than 8,000 attendees, hosting more than 45 bands on 3 stages over 4 days. Almost doubling the population of Chillicothe, IL, for the weekend, the concert attendees also greatly impact the local business economy of Chillicothe.

JamBase | Illinois
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 6/22/06]

Comments

yemface star Thu 6/22/2006 11:08AM

ahh who cares? if we came back they wouldn't want us there anyway. jay go find a new place...

krsmall Thu 6/22/2006 11:36AM

bring it to CT

moephan23 Thu 6/22/2006 11:43AM

Jay needs to buy a plot of land and throw the festie on his own turf. he would pay it off in a couple years.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/22/2006 12:13PM

Lord-K.

Jay I have about 90 acres of land we could use!!!!! Keep it local Bean Blossom perhaps...I am intersted to hear the 5 locations that are in the running to replace 3 Sisters. Anyhow I know next year will be bigger and better this is just a minor setback for one of the top festies in the Midwest.

mikeyz420 star Thu 6/22/2006 12:49PM

so what was in this letter from the doctors? news about people suffering from heat exhaustion? if so what then, start cancelling all festis just cause some people haven't the common sense to keep themselves hydrated when its over 90 degrees? no way can you let summer camp end, its one of the best out there...and it needs to stay in the midwest seein as how we all have very, very few festivals out here in the first place.

Dizon311 Thu 6/22/2006 12:57PM

Dizon311

Yea three sisters park hates me after they told me I couldnt drive my car almost a mile to my site, I had about 3 to 4 loads awaiting in 95 degree heat, Exhausted and Pist I skidded past employees only to almost get my car backed into. Thankfully I got away as they screamed the cops were coming... I Love that place Ive been there almost every year... I hope its still in illinois or wisconsin. But memories are all the place is going to be now... Ill never see you again Chillicothe and thank god for that...

Death Cube K Thu 6/22/2006 01:58PM

Death Cube K

Wasn't this the festival where a hero got busted up for trying to break up a N2O tank?
Bring that shibby to Connecticut is right.

JohnVoss starstarstar Thu 6/22/2006 02:05PM

JohnVoss

After two years of driving all the way from Austin, TX for the SCMF, I think it would be a huge loss for the event to have a change of venue. However, parking next to my car would be a great change. Im really not a fan of lugging around a tent, cooler, chairs, clothes, LSD, lanterns, glowsticks, tables, etc.... to my campsite. The festival would be much more people friendly if we could park next to our cars like WAKA, the ROO, Phish Fest, and such. Jay Keep Up the Good Work, but lets find a bigger place. Everyone would appreciate it.

letshavesomefun Thu 6/22/2006 04:48PM

Black River Falls, Wisconsin thats all i got to say. Great Place. Wisco is the place.

BriscoMC73 Thu 6/22/2006 06:11PM

BriscoMC73

this year was my first summer camp and it was awesome. u cant change the location of summer camp, yea it was way too hot at times but it was a lot of fun and id do it again and again year after year and im sure many ppl are there with me. if u gotta change the venue keep it in the midwest....south side chicago represent

Tjnik Thu 6/22/2006 06:27PM

I think its a great chance! Now summercamp can expand and who know maybe at the new venue we can all see the late night shows

gcunnin7 starstarstarstar Thu 6/22/2006 08:07PM

To be honest, most of the people that attend festivals like these refuse to take any responsibility for their actions and this doctor makes a valid point...working at red rocks for over two years, I see people dealing w/ heat exhaustion, but I see lots more folks dealing with issues relating to drugs and alcohol!! So please understand what this medical doctor is saying, because I can guarantee that none of you know what he/she knows and sees what he/she sees, being on the other side of things, the same way I do, so don't hate on this one person for being honest. Instead, ry to control the behavior of the scene better, so that more people don't end up in a f***ed up situation!!!

---Don't get me wrong, I love the scene, just stop making it worse for everyone by partying WAY to hard, try to learn the limits!!!

waldojay starstarstar Thu 6/22/2006 09:10PM

I think that there are some under lieing issues here and we the people who let this kind of musical experence happen have the right to know what is going on. A letter from one doctor and his staff is not grounds of any means to cancel one of the best festivals ever. Thinking back to three years ago a tornado rolling through and destroying the festival and putting thousands at risk and they did not cancel then. I just want to know the truth of the matter. I am not a hugh fan of the three sisters set up. I will be content with the situation if Jay Goldberg and his staff decide to move and keep it in the midwest.

hippiehick Fri 6/23/2006 04:55AM

Only in Ilinois have we found doctors that don't want to help sick people. I was shocked to see the selective treatment from the Hospital there, almost as if they punish people for having a good time. Get the fest away from Nazi America and bring it down south where we know how to treat people, sick and well.......

RedHotPapa6 Fri 6/23/2006 05:44AM

What a P.O.S. I would agree though, that it would be much nicer to be able to park near your site. F.U.N.K Fest in Bean Blossom was a dream last year. This is as friendly of a site as you can get, and maybe a little more senic. I don't know if it is as spread out, but I had quite an enjoyable time there and would love to see 2-3 festivals by Jay every year there. If people don't understand what things like this is all about, then we don't want to be around them anyway. So, screw Chillicothe.

Rebacreates Fri 6/23/2006 06:16AM

Three Sisters Park is amazing. Yeah you cant camp out by your car, but thats what real camping is. Camping in the forest, surrounded by trees (in the shade) and other campers. I would rather bond with my neighbors than their exhaust pipes anyday. Parking lot camping is so much less intimate.

Its really unfortunate that a couple of drug dealers/users that couldnt control themselves had to ruin this festival for everyone else. Thats super bogus. They were probably disco biscuit fans. Im gonna miss Chillicothe.

rebubula7 Fri 6/23/2006 07:13AM

rebubula7

This is such very sad news! I love summercamp so much and look forward to each years festie the moment I leave. I live in Southern Indiana and having SC only 4 hours away is awesome. I hope that Three Sisters reconsiders because I love this venue. Personally I like not having to smell tail pipe exhaust all weekend! Please reconsider!!!!

Teabagger Fri 6/23/2006 07:38AM

Teabagger

On the plus side, maybe the new site will have a late night area that's not in a sweltering hot barn and can hold more than 1000 people.

Arturo Fri 6/23/2006 07:38AM

John Voss "parks next to his car"...how does that work? Maybe the poor guy's tired from lugging his LSD and glowsticks all over God's creation. Pobrecito.

OzzieSmith starstar Fri 6/23/2006 10:26AM

I am from Peoria and have been to Summer Camp every year. The news devestated me as well many of me friends from the area. It's not too surprising though, Peoria (Chilli) has a reprutation for screwing up good things, especially in the music scene. The reason the local paper said was the cause of their decision was due to the amount of overdoses that came into the emergency room. I was at the festival all four days and this years festival was one of the hottest in memory. I'm not condoning the drug use but lets face it, with the heat and the usual wear and tear ove the weekend, it isn;t surprising that people had to seek medical attention. That being said, I don;t know what else Jay and his crew could of done to make the festival a safe and successful event. There was plenty of medical staff on duty as well as security and police (mostly outside the festival). I am still hoping that three sisters park reconsiders their decision, but honeslty peoria dosen't deserve summer camp and I have no problem spending a little extra money to go to a community and town that does.

TimCorcoran Fri 6/23/2006 10:37AM

TimCorcoran

We did 3 Sisters Park way before it was called a cool place. We had Zappening 2000 there. http://zappening.freeservers.com We never had the problems that Jay or the fans faced. It was a very kind place, and you could drop your camping gear off at your site, come and go as you please, ect. Now, its changed, and in my opinion, its not a good place anymore for festivals.

phatdoc Fri 6/23/2006 01:21PM

I'm from N.Mich. Check out ValDuLakes on lake Michigan. They use to have great shows there. 1994 Horde w/ Allmans, BTrav, was great. East access, great camping!!

peaton Fri 6/23/2006 02:41PM

peaton

Come to New England, We got Nuthin'.

icpneil Fri 6/23/2006 03:34PM

this sucks...but this fest will grow in another location wherever that is....hopefully it stays in central il.

and to the person who was saying this is because of heat exhaustion...do you really believe that? or was it summercamp becoming more about the scene than music? i know people that went there, did drugs and never saw a minute of music. i saw a bunch of people passing out from heat or drugs and a bunch of people getting arrested by undercovers. this fest probably needs to be moved its been less fun every year although the music has been great every year

boobus Sat 6/24/2006 09:16AM

Hey, here's an idea..let's rock out to music all day in the heat and when it finally cools off...what else could we possibly want to do but enter a sauna perpetuated by each others' sweet perfumed sweat in a 110 degree barn guarded feindishly by guys who not only hate the music, but hate most of us. When I would take a much need break, I was freakin shivering outside for a couple minutes. Most of my friends and I got sick for a week. I love 3 sis, but either come up w/ a better late-night avenue (i.e. building a bigger venue) or good riddens.

cbm0329 Sat 6/24/2006 11:40AM

I haven't been there before but my friends have and were there this last year. They said the cops were pretty bad and a lot of people got arrested, especially for the relatively small siz eof the fest(8000). I don't know anything about the doctors or hospitals not treating people but that's coming from people who were there and should know. Basically I get the impression that important groups of the community(police, medical) don't want us there and don't want the fest there. Find some private property somewhere and do it there. That's a key to keeping those you don't want around from coming around. Same thing went for Waka this year. The cops were f***ing ridiculous and so was the security. It ruined what should have been a great festival.

EVILFUNK Sun 6/25/2006 07:19AM

EVILFUNK

hippychick..you seem way too cool to be hanging ouy in ill.

zusman1400 starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/26/2006 12:49PM

This news is great. Over 300 people were arrested at this festival. That is practically 4% of the particapants of the festival. Police were at the medical station arresting people. People were not safe there. The music was great but the fact that a large percentage of the people couldn't see it bothers me greatly. If the town and county don't want you to be there, than move on.

knibbs Mon 6/26/2006 12:57PM

knibbs

I worked security for the fest in the past and the only problem we had was with the kids who brough bad drugs, and pushed them too hard and too quickly. These young kids thought they are getting one thing, end up with another and in the end got way too f'd up. The scene is filled with way too many spun-yon's who don't respect the music, they just wanna get all retarted. I was w/my little bro's crew during the whole fest this year, and these kids were a little too much for my aging ass. I just made sure that they stayed as controled and hydrated as posible. Bring on the move, just keep it in Illinois! HGMN represent! Souf Side Chi-Town!

mueller Tue 6/27/2006 07:13AM

mueller

Bill Monroe Park, is where they do F.U.N.K. fest. It is the perfect location. solve your problems with plenty of shade trees to camp under.

lovelylinda Tue 6/27/2006 11:57AM

unfortunately I don't think the Bill Monroe site can handle the 8-10,000 people that attend summercamp.

Trainwreck Tue 6/27/2006 01:05PM

They won't be happy until it's just Sex/Rock n' Roll. I partied like crazy at these shows and I didn't OD. Education, not prevention.

phishvideos Tue 6/27/2006 08:40PM

I second the Black River Falls suggestion. It's a ways up north but The Big Wu has had their Family Reunion there mayn times and it is a no hassle, no cops in the venue type place.

Otherwise check out the little racetrack in Beloit, IL. There have been a number of small music festivals (Lefotver Salmon, deep Bannana Blackout, etc. there over the years and it was always a cool place.

knibbs Wed 6/28/2006 07:35AM

knibbs

Im sorry, but one more thing...these people who complain that Illinois/Midwest doesn't want certain people around, and that cops and security were harsh-get over it! Maybe society functions a little differently in IL, but last I checked the only idiots who were getting arrested definately needed to be. If you get caught trying to enter the main festival grounds with a bag full of chocolate's, thinking they'll let you pass you deserve everything coming to you! Wanna have a good time for a couple of days LISTENING TO MUSIC don't bring bags full o drugs, and stop whinning! Waka was bad, but only for the same reason. A lot of neo-hippies need to realize that DRUGS are illegal, and when you get caught-tough shit! Peace out see you @ 10K!

dwightd113 starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/28/2006 10:04AM

Look if you kids think security at that festival was bad then you have no fricking idea... To get into gathering of the Vibes you have to have a full vehicle search... you park next to site... Unlike summer camp security they don't stop looking for outside things on Saturday either they search all weekend... I mean I watched kids carry handles of vodka in through the gate and security after the first day (two if you were there Thursday) didn't care anymore... what little searches they did, did nothing and if need be I say have the frickin army come out and work security the whole weekend so I can listen to some music without thinking man this kid in front of me is about to die or hope this girl doesn't puke and fall on me... I think the line up was great and that the performances where stellar... Exactly what you want from a concert but the amount of kids fed up didn't really make me want to stay there through the times when the stages closed down... and by the by HOW CAN YOU CHARGE 30 DOLLARS MORE FOR F'N LATE NIGHT SHOWS... ITS BULL SHIT....

kevingriff Thu 6/29/2006 01:20PM

another awesome venue you could throw this at would be the Church Of Universal Love And Music in Pennsylvania. No cops super layed back chill people.www.ilovechurchmusic.org

msrobin Wed 7/5/2006 12:42PM

Amen!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am that we got kicked out of Three Sisters. Lets be serious. Did you really enjoy carrying in all of your camping gear into the grounds. I sure didn't. How about not being able to bring in your own liquor? What exactly was that all about anyway - Wakarusa is in a state park too however they still allow you to bring in your own drinks. How about trying to get tickets to see shows in a sweltering hot nasty barn for late nights. Summercamp has always been a lot of work, maybe they will keep that in mind when they look for a new venue. I know there was a lot of complaining to be had about Waka and the "security" but that place they have the festival is very nice. Water to cool off in. Plenty of space to camp near your car. The ability to bring in your own beer. Any probably my favorite part - lots of late night shows for FREE without having to pay extra to sweat my ass off in a hot barn.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/6/2006 12:55PM

Lord-K.

Would you like someone to listen to the music for you as well?

squince starstarstarstar Wed 7/25/2007 04:58PM

I believe anyone who has anything bad to say about summercamp is higher than groceries. Summercamp was awesome and I didnt mind givin extra for the barn. The barn shows were my favorite part of summercamp. To change venues would suck ass.
Michea Knoth representin Delphi