TREY TO OPEN FOR PETTY

Trey Anastasio
Trey Anastasio will join Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers as they embark on their 2006 North American "Highway Companions Tour," beginning June 9 in Charlotte, NC. Trey will perform a special opening set for eight shows on the first leg of the tour and both artists will perform sets at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, TN. Other opening acts on the tour include Pearl Jam and Allman Brothers Band.

TOM PETTY TOUR DATES:
06.27 | Saint Paul, MN | Xcel Energy Center w/ Pearl Jam
06.29 | Milwaukee, WI | Marcus Amphitheatre, Summerfest w/ Pearl Jam
06.30 | Milwaukee, WI | Marcus Amphitheatre, Summerfest w/ Pearl Jam
07.02 | Denver, CO | Pepsi Center w/ Pearl Jam
07.03 | Denver, CO | Pepsi Center w/ Pearl Jam

[Published on: 4/20/06]

Comments

ParrotheadFargo starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/20/2006 11:17AM

ParrotheadFargo

I know Tom Petty is not "Jam" but he is one of the masters of all music, and I am glad to see that have Jambase opened up to Petty.

I must say his shows are like masters of his orginals, played with fire, excitement and meaning. This is the must see tour of the summer. ABB, PJ and Trey are openers!

Happy Holiday all!

parrot

mc Levi Thu 4/20/2006 11:17AM

mc Levi

What's the deal with Tom Petty's opening acts the last two summers? Last year Black Crowes, this year Trey and Pearl Jam. TP is okay, but I don't want to be that guy again this year who goes just to see the opening act.

jahrome17 starstar Thu 4/20/2006 11:31AM

petty's opener's are consistently better than the main act. If petty didn't have "freefallin'" then he'd be the one opening for trey, pearl jam, and allmans

audone Thu 4/20/2006 11:41AM

how come it says that trey is going to play at roo when they haven't even announced that? did they let the trey out of the bag or do they have it wrong?
inquiring minds want to know

imyadady3 Thu 4/20/2006 11:55AM

fuck all that trey needs to do his own solo tour.

Kayceman Thu 4/20/2006 11:56AM

Kayceman

Just to answer "audone's" question about Trey at Bonnaroo, it was announced long ago that Oysterhead (w/ Trey of course) will perform at Bonnaroo... kayce

udsh starstarstar Thu 4/20/2006 12:24PM

opening for tom petty? are u kidding me. nothing against tom but give me a break. how about a oysterhead or serialpod summer tour?

zabin29 Thu 4/20/2006 12:32PM

I'm sorry, this is dissappointing, i want to see trey but to pay over $50 to see him open for petty - not happening. Oh well, hopefully trey will come around

zzdowz Thu 4/20/2006 12:52PM

zzdowz

I think it's cool that Trey is playing with Petty and Pearl Jam. I happen to like diversity though.

Rainking04 star Thu 4/20/2006 01:26PM

this is rediculous. All three of these opening acts are light years ahead of petty as far as talent and capacity to put on a live act. Obviously ABB is one of the greatest bands of all time and has absolutely NO place opening for Petty. The only influence petty ever had was on straight pop/rock and those are the only kind of songs he could ever right. What is up with him being thrust so far into the spotlight lately? This is absurd I wish Pearl Jam would open for the Allmans w/ Trey now how about that for a tour?

BTalb8921 starstarstarstar Thu 4/20/2006 01:42PM

you people crack me up.
music... it's all good. Don't be so closed minded.
I know lots of people who say petty is one of the best live shows they've ever seen.

If it wasn't for free fallin'..."
are you kidding me? He's been around for 25 yrs.

rfreeman Thu 4/20/2006 01:44PM

Makes perfect sense to me for relatively small draws like the ABB and Trey to open for a huge star like Petty. Pearl Jam's the only one who seems comparably big to me. Very psyched for a chance to finally catch a Petty show and get Trey as gravy.

rfreeman Thu 4/20/2006 01:48PM

I mean, Petty has way more hit singles than the other 3 bands have albums

finkle Thu 4/20/2006 01:53PM

I think it's a cool as idea. Petty isnt jam but he's just helping those bands out letting them open and it would still be a cool show to see. I've seen just Petty at Deer Creek a couple time and it was always a good time, Trey and other openers will just add to the shows.

Redworm Thu 4/20/2006 02:31PM

I will be the first to admit, Petty at SPAC last summer was my "suprise this show kicked ass" show of the summer, but i'm still not sure if i want my Trey all mixed up with my Petty. Two totally different mindsets for me i guess... I don't know, i'll still be at Tweeter on a Wedneday night though. Happy Holidaze!

peaton Thu 4/20/2006 02:41PM

peaton

Oh No!
Trey is hittin' Boston the same night as MMJ and the Pops!
Decisions Decision.

G$Love Thu 4/20/2006 02:50PM

G$Love

Man, there are some funny comments on here. I think that rfreeman nailed it on the head when he said, "Tom Petty has more hit singles than all three artists have albums combined". You don't realize the brilliance of Tom Petty until you realize that the guy wrote the soundtrack of American rock radio from 1977 - 1992. You forget just how prolific the guy is, he could have a 3 greatest hits albums of legitimate major hits. And these aren't cheesy radio hits, but songs that SHOULD BE HITS. Maybe Trey will learn how to write a hook by spending more time with Mr. Petty.

kellerman7 Thu 4/20/2006 03:35PM

Wow.....Nothing against Tom Petty, but its a shame that Trey isn't in a headlining tour. Tom Petty is great...But they are two different elements that don't need to be bundled into one tour. Kind of like Umphrey's and Dave.. Trey needs help writing hooks?? What Trey needs is a help from a couple guys nammed Page, Mike and Jon, and less clownshoe fans gumming up the works..That my $.02

NakedCity starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/20/2006 04:15PM

Life long Trey Fan I've seen him perform over 130 times in varios bands. This sickens me! I wouldn't pay $38 bucks to see 2 sets of his unrehearsed act and I sure as hell won't pay $50 to see him open up for some washed up pop star. Trey I'm sorry to say I've had it your out of the will and untill you practice with a band for a little before you bring it out on the road I'm keeping my money and staying home! Sad Sad day from our once proud hero!

AustinJams Thu 4/20/2006 06:04PM

AustinJams

I personally have always liked Tom Petty. I grew up listening to his music. No one remember Tweeter and the Monkey Man. from the Traveling Wilburys? and yes, the man does have a good show which i have seen several times. anyone who knows rock history has to give props to Tom Petty because the man is a living legend in his own right. All that aside. I think it is perfect for Trey's mediocre band to be opening up onthis tour. Practice is all this is. And until this band gets a few years of tours under its belt, its not going to be worth going on the road for. Let the man get some gigs under his belt before making any judegments on his new direction.

Nick Irving Thu 4/20/2006 06:53PM

aight check this out from many angles, including one that basically insults me.ever go to a show and notice the lawn is full, or the lawn is empty? either way it shows who wanted to pay either twice as much or half as much...depending on the group. tom petty will sell out all of the "inside the shell" seats wherever he goes becaue he appeals to those who are in the age bracket who have no problem trying to get front row whatever it costs. ive seen every other opening band many times, lawn rocks- seats that are alot to get are empty sometimes.... its basically economics; get tom petty to fill the shell and the opener to fill the lawn, fat boy gets his doughnut and we are all happy. yes, i realize many things about my stereo'typing'. instead of firing at me blindly see if you can make some sense of what this says.

i13tony Thu 4/20/2006 08:00PM

i13tony

Hey, give Trey a break...I actually think he's doing us all a favor. Clearly, this is a warm-up tour. I think it's a great idea. He can whip himself back into shape, knowing full well that the crowd won't be too critical of him and yeah, most of us are not so desperate to see Trey that we'd pay $75 to see Petty. (I mean is there anyone out there who would consider that??? Not when a band like moe. puts on a sicketty-sick-sick show and charges me only $17!) So, once he gets the ever-changing line-up of Oscar Booger and the Nine Nifty Nose-pickers sounding acceptable and enjoyable, then maybe he can get back to Fox Theatre-type venues.

i13tony Thu 4/20/2006 08:02PM

i13tony

You know, the bigger question should be why the hell is Pearl Jam opening for Petty???

Soultone Thu 4/20/2006 10:29PM

If you dont like tom petty dont go and see him. Its as simple as that. And if you dont like the fact that Trey is opening for him then too bad. Just because trey isn't playing some free hippie jam fest dosn't mean you need to bitch. If Tom Petty wanted my band to open for him i would be honored. Im not even really a fan of his, but i still respect him.

jerryskid315 Fri 4/21/2006 04:11AM

jerryskid315

Let us not forget that Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers spent a summer or two playing behind Bob Dylan while opening for the good old Grateful Dead. To say he has no part in this scene is just plain wrong...

soxphan Fri 4/21/2006 04:46AM

Tom Petty is a "pop star"?

antelope19 Fri 4/21/2006 06:08AM

I couldn't let this slip past without laughing my ass off. From rainking04: "The only influence petty ever had was on straight pop/rock and those are the only kind of songs he could ever right." Perhaps, Rainking04, you should learn how to WRITE and spell before you go out and rip others for spreading good music.

possum4231975 Fri 4/21/2006 06:35AM

possum4231975

Hey nikki, smoke another one, and take a writing class. I'm sure you know what you are talking about, but I didn't understand a word of that comment. What's your point?

FormulaOBX Fri 4/21/2006 06:57AM

Kids,kids,kids.Petty rocks.If you have never seen him live.SHUT THE blank UP.STOP THE WHINING.what a good idea for a bumper sticker.Trey should be honored......

DaveT starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 07:58AM

DaveT

Remember when you blocked "bad" words? That was nice. Force 'em to articulate. Tour makes sense.

if rhymes were valiums... starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 09:00AM

if rhymes were valiums...

i can't believe what i am reading here... tom petty could define the classic rock americana genre... unfortunately, i doubt tom will allow trey to come and jam with him... but if i were to hear trey wail on mary jane's last dance i would piss myself... nonetheless, when all you people who think tom is over the hill for rock-n-roll, you will be very surprised how many songs are ROCKED out well past the 8 minute mark. killer rock, badass harmonicas, aweosme light show... come on people?

justin r Fri 4/21/2006 10:22AM

justin r

tpetty is the shit

phhil starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 10:59AM

phhil

Nice, some VA action. I hope all the cry babies don't come to any of the shows I go to. Oh well if they do I'll get a laugh out of their hypocritical remarks, it just gets annoying. What ever happened to the Seriel Pod thing? The x-mas jam performance was spectacular. Check it out if you see it for download. "Summer's here and the time is right for dancin in the street"

peaton Fri 4/21/2006 11:18AM

peaton

Trey should contact ABB and co-headline a tour. Pearl Jam can go and tour with Petty. Both would be excellent tours of their specific genre/crowd. Haynes, Trey, and D. Trucks on the same tour would be UNREAL!

pat5507 starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 11:30AM

pat5507

Looks pretty good to me, too bad they're not swingin by ATL.

rebubula7 Fri 4/21/2006 12:32PM

rebubula7

I've seen Petty many times at Deer Creek and he rocks it! Last year there were tornados and lightining struck the stage several times and knocked out the power. No one left and the band continued playing even without the power. It was amazing. Petty doesn't need Trey to fill any seats but I am amped that they're touring together!

Rebacreates starstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 12:55PM

PETTY IS THE MAN, DONT GET ME WRONG. BUT RAINKINGS LAST COMMENT SAYS IT BEST.

ALLMAN BROTHERS FEATURING TREY HEADLINER WITH PETTY AND PEARL JAM OPENERS WOULD BE IDEAL!

Anabolic starstarstar Fri 4/21/2006 06:57PM

Anabolic

I've never seen Tom Petty live so I can't comment on that.One thing I can say is that you can't imply that he is a more talented artist than his openers based on his number of "hit singles".

gtones starstarstarstar Sat 4/22/2006 08:07AM

I don't see where ABB is opening for Petty. Little help? Also, I agree that people are not giving Petty nearly enough credit, the man is a legend, and probably puts on a hell of a show. Umfortunately, like probably many of those bashing Petty, I haven't seen him live so I can't say, and you shouldn't either. However, I have seen ABB many times, and the thought of them opening for anyone is rediculous. They will blow away anyone they tour with.

AustinJams Sat 4/22/2006 09:52AM

AustinJams

rebubula7 is totally on point when he said that tom Petty doesn't need any help filling seats. I dont think trey is doing this tour to satisfy his own fan base. He is doing this to get his name and music out there to an older generation that has only associated him with Phish in the past if they have even heard of him. Like it or not guys, Tom Petty is way more known than Trey. He's sold and put out countless more hit records than Trey, forget the singles. Point is, he is trying to expand his fan base to more than just the jam community. Its actualy pretty smart if you think about it. He gets a nice stage with large crowds for his band to tighten up and he gets to be heard by new ears. So do yourself a favor guys and go see some of the other hot ass bands out there like Moe. STS9, Biscuits, Duo or any of the other countless bands out there blowing the scene up. I think trey is intentionally stepping aside for the time being so all these other bands can get some exposure. Thoughts?

i13tony Sat 4/22/2006 10:11AM

i13tony

I agree w/ Austin. First, there's no way Trey can fill those big sheds right now (recall the doomed ZOOMA tour from last year.) An opening gig is less stressful and probably easy money. Plus, there's no doubt that Trey's newer stuff is targeted toward a more...uh...'mainstream' audience (the VH 1 audience perhaps?) If one is seeking a 'musically fulfilling experience' rather than just a concert, one definitely should check out the bands he mentions...especially moe.

TahoeJam Sat 4/22/2006 11:04AM

While I feel there is no right or wrong vibe here-it's all personal-Trey "sold out" to Elekra, why? for the same reason he idolizes D.Mathews and is touring with Petty, and the same reson he lays the same setlists, songs, etc. on his solo stuff even when at Vegoose this past halloween between the late night and arena show, or even for the same reson Friday would encore a 2 night vegas run a few years back...he's over it, super over it...and wants to do his own thing. Some of us, me included, find it straught up sad that the best flow at a trey show is sand or 1st tube...still...others love it cause maybe their more open or weren't lucky enough to be at NYE 95' Island tour 98' etc etc THOSE MOMENTS....when Trey was on fire...Things change I guess if you listen to the last vegas run for moments like the stash and timber...anway I'm sorry to offend anyone..but petty doesn't need help to fill seats...Trey just wants to get his stuff out more, be Trey not Phish and make more $ and be like D.Mathews and have that fan base..in my opinion...and it does leave more room for others to step up and I hope they will, but I know for me and many others it is quite an act to follow cause thers is no band out now or I see flowin that would drop EVERYTHING in the world to fly to somewhere if I needed to when I live on notta to try to get to a show that COULD be the greatest moment musically for one, possible.....any thoughts of the rumors for philly>msg halloween run booked by the phish organization? That would e pretty fu$#@# up to say never again and play 2 years later...again sorry to ramble, no negative vibes meant AT ALL..and clebrate 4-22 everyday, not just "Earth Day"...thats the real message behind all the music that spins us, many need the day to remind them, you all are fortunate to dance and choose your battles daily, namaste

rider11 Sat 4/22/2006 03:49PM

trey sold out to the mainstream and can give 2 sh*ts less about his fans that will and ahve gone to all measures to watch him bush the envelope.

jakester1984 Sun 4/23/2006 06:52PM

Give the guy a break. He is playing music and doing what he wants to do. It doesnt matter if he plays with Dave Matthews or Tom Petty. At least he is still making music, good or bad he is doing his thing. And if you really want to talk about selling out, he sold ot years ago when phish got big and essentially "mainstream" so this whole sell-out thing is tired and played out. Get a hobby like listening to music for what it is....music. There is no reason to criticize someone for choosing to play music with someone whoever it is.

finkle Mon 4/24/2006 08:47AM

All I have to say is there is no way Trey can live the rest of his life without rocking out and experiencing what we all know is still fully capable of. Everyone who hates on him now is just impatient.

monhoman starstarstarstar Mon 4/24/2006 09:38AM

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS!!! It's simple they are touring together because the music industry and concert tickets have seen a steady drop over the last few years and they want to put two big names on the bill to fill the seats (several tours this years have a big name openers) and open people to new things. For example my mom has no idea who trey is but loves petty, but i guarentee that when she hears trey tearing up the stage she will love him... and that's cool to me... and everyone going to see trey will get to see a living legend (TOM PETTY)

monhoman starstarstarstar Mon 4/24/2006 09:41AM

P.S. I definetly think that the Allman Brothers are better than petty and i think they have more right to be headlining this tour but i'm not in charge...

guitardave Mon 4/24/2006 01:44PM

guitardave

Chances are most of the Petty bashers on this thread have never seen the man live. I was invited to one of his shows in '87 and was blown away. Great songcraft, beautiful harmonies, powerful grooves, ripping vintage guitars and keyboards. Mike Campbell has been tearing it up before "jam" and "band" became one word. Petty made real music in the 80s! Do you think that was easy? I love the Allmans, too, but they had to lay from 81-89 because the music scene sucked so hard. TP is still a master. You can bet Trey agrees. Put down your glowsticks and listen to "Wildflowers" and you just may learn something.

TheJuice starstarstarstar Mon 4/24/2006 03:26PM

TheJuice

Pearl Jam licks schweaty balls, unless your into the weakest of seatle grunge. Hell i dont even know if thats where they're from. but thats what they sound like, weak.
Tom's shows rock. Hes the summertime amphitheater king. 10 minute Little red rooster jam anyone? throw in a little Uncle Warren, you got yourself a god damn deal,thats right i said it,
old school

Mightyquinn starstarstar Mon 4/24/2006 08:09PM

Saw the Crowes open for Petty last year at Spac. They friggin' killed it, but when Petty came out, I don't know what some of you guys are saying. He may have used to rock it back in the day, but his live shows are just lame now. He's so well rehearsed and been playing the same songs forever that they just sound almost too perfect. Sounded like the radio being played over the P.A. Cool if you're into that, but I pay money to see alive act actually do something, or mix it up somehow. The "Handle Me With Care" was great, but I got that after two songs in... then I hightailed it outta that adult-contemporary post rock glory era wannabe self-help session of longing for the glory days. Time to move it forward people. Trey's done. Allmans are done. Phish is done. (The crew always books the big rooms just in case they want em, been doing it for years - in NO WAY does that mean they're playing.) The power is in the children's hands now - let's pray for someone to relaunch the magic.

junkbondking Tue 4/25/2006 07:27AM

bands who play at the can in denver during the summer = lame. red rocks is the place for summer shows in colorado.

broomnaradio starstarstarstar Tue 4/25/2006 12:14PM

I saw Tom Petty at the Greek last year with the Crows. All in all a great show. My only complaint is that Tom tends to play his entire catalog of songs in 2 hours.36 songs note for note like the album. It seemed like they didnt even need to rehearse for the tour. I wish he played ten less songs and flavored up the ones he did play to give them more of a live feel. I'm not saying I want him to become a "Jam Band"...a term I have learned to dispise...Because thats not his thing.But Mike Cambell is probably one of the most under-rated guitarists around. Toms Band is like a mighty lumberjack that carrys a well oiled saw ,it fires up on the first pull and it screams with ferocity.....and they spend the whole night cutting tiny little three minute twigs when they got the strength and know how to take the tunes an extra lap and cut a big stump.....Maybe Trey will influence Tom to spice up his set a little. But if you have never seen Tom Petty he will surprise you....He is a pro's pro.

Falcon65 Tue 4/25/2006 04:51PM

Great analysis from the guy who says "Allmans are done"!! The evidence is overwhelming - 15 sold out shows at the Beacon, revolving setlists, new tunes, new takes on old tunes, countless guest appearances from accomplished musicians, yet another summer tour in the works, etc etc etc. This band is clearly dried-up and "done". Dude, aren't you the same guy that said "don't buy Microsoft" about 20 years ago because they are "done"? Pure genius.

dogbeach Wed 4/26/2006 09:58AM

This thread is prefect evidence of just what "jamband" fans know about music.

Log in to PollStar or Rolling Stone and check TP's gross $$$--One of the highest in the world last year (and every year), up there with Stones.

If you think Trey will fill the lawn for this tour, you probably also think Phish invented the jamband scene or MMW invented funk.

Nibble starstarstarstar Thu 4/27/2006 06:06AM

Shut it. Everyone. This is fairly ridiculous. Didn't to mama teach you if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Did anyone read the Relix article about Trey and his new endeavors. If not read it and that might give you some insight into this combo. Stoners, relax.

rebubula7 Thu 4/27/2006 11:24AM

rebubula7

Thanks for the back up AustinJams, but why do you assume that I am of the male gender?

drobert420 starstar Thu 4/27/2006 11:33AM

The Allman Brothers are as good as ever. Trey, honestly, for a man who made Phish a living in the 90's, just doesn't cut it these days for me. I'd be more apt to catch this show if the Allmans were opening rather than Trey.

Rainking04 starstarstar Thu 4/27/2006 01:22PM

ok yeah I guess I was way too hard on Petty in that original post. Petty is pretty good and I definitely dig what he did with the Wilburys and have at times enjoyed his solo stuff. My original irritation was with the fact that the Allmans are opening for him. Whatever you want to say about Petty, however, he is nowhere near what the Allman Brothers are as far as musicianship and inspiration. I feel somewhat similar about Trey in that he has put out music that I feel is far better than anything Petty has done, but I can see that it is just Trey and that Trey is much younger and that is enough reason for him to be opening for Petty. It just feels disrespectful to me for the Allmans to be opening for him. Sorry about all the negativity I brought to this board with that statement...hope I didn't offend anybody

snowfox starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/1/2006 12:31PM

I think it's a great move on Trey's part, and the Allman Brothers part. Petty fans are lovers of great live music, and are part of a scene that I beleive would cherrish the "Jam scene". I think it will open up new music to an audience that may not know it yet, but needs something new to look forward to. This "Jam scene" is the next step in the timeless music evolution.

oysteria starstarstarstar Tue 5/2/2006 05:13AM

oysteria

Allmans don't care about headlining. They are not in highschool trying to win battle of the bands. they are the humble little band from Macon, GA. They just want to play good music for whoever wants to listen. Brother Duane didn't start that band so they could be the biggest and best, they just are. They don't have to show it off.
Skydog Lives!

pickinfive starstarstar Thu 5/4/2006 01:43PM

If you like it, go. If you don't like it, don't go. Stop analyzing it so much. And how can you rate a purely factual article? It's a couple sentences and the tourdates.

gregboyer Mon 5/8/2006 11:35AM

Tom Petty and The Heartbreaker merit much more respect than some of you "dirty tour kids" that need to get a job will ever know. Mike Campbell is way underated. The Allman Brothers are better in my opinion but I'm not at all offended by their opening slot. They simply haven't sold as many records and are a different animal. It would be cool if TP could mix his setlists up more and maybe he will. If Warren sits in it will be great. I just wish the Mule and/or ABB were at Bonnaroo this year but I guess they're trying to mix up the music styles more. A lot of you really need a get a life and quit getting so upset about bands doing what they want. If you don't like don't go but quit yer bitchin'. BTW, Trey solo is boring as hell in my opinion but I'm not going to trash TP for giving him an opening slot. Hopefully a Merriweather show with ABB will be announced later. Last year with the Crowes was great

Putnameter starstarstarstarstar Wed 5/10/2006 12:31PM

Putnameter

Trey please stay out of Tom's business.

Related Goods