JAM IN THE DAM: DAY III

Words by Super Dee :: Images by Kevin Quinn

Jam in the Dam :: Day I :: 03.19 :: Melkweg :: Amsterdam, NL

Jon Gutwillig - The Disco Biscuits
03.19 :: Amsterdam

Through a thick haze of sweet smoke emerged The Disco Biscuits onto Amsterdam. The first night of this three-day adventure in a foreign land had taken off. Inside the Melkweg, you have to remind yourself that you are in another country as it is a very familiar scene: posters for sale, two stages, friends gathered, and favorite bands getting ready to play. The schedule changes each night, and on this night, the bigger of the two rooms, The Max, was home to Bisco and Sound Tribe Sector Nine. The Bisco set had a bunch of new tunes and a great "Digital Buddha" > "Voices Insane" transition. The "Munchkins" popped out of hiding for their "Invasion," leading them into "Handcuffs" and then back to "Munchkinland."

When that was over, The Benevento/Russo Duo was already underway in The Old Hall. We were treated to a visit by JFJO 's Brian Haas, which always adds to the ridiculousness of it all. Marco bid all the "jammers" farewell for the night as STS9 was getting set up across the hall.

STS9 filled the room with their sonic goodness, and the crowd below was really feeling it. Back in The Old Hall for the start of the Umphrey's McGee set, they kicked things off with a "2x2." It was a strong set - "Utopian Fir" with Marco Benevento and Joe Russo joining in, a multi-level "Great American"/"Jimmy Stewart" sandwich AND a triumphant "All In Time." The clincher of the evening was Russo playing Brendan's guitar in a duel with Jake. All in all, a great time was had by all. Looking forward to round 2 tonight... Check back soon!

Amsterdam

Zach Velmer - STS9 :: Amsterdam

Marco Benevento - The Duo :: Amsterdam

Cinninger & Stasik - Umphrey's McGee :: Amsterdam

Joe Russo & Brendan Bayliss :: Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Be sure to check back soon for the next instalment...

JamBase | Amsterdam
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 3/24/06]

Comments

kennett starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/20/2006 02:14PM

Diggidy Dankness

WyoBisco starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/20/2006 03:39PM

DIGGIN the photos. Man this makes me sooooo sad that I'm not a part of it again this year. The trip of a lifetime people. hope the tribe and bisco heads are gettin along haha. they oughta be cause both bands rock (biscuits ARE better tho :) ) and the chance to check them in the dam is seriously priceless. wow. have fun and keep the reports coming!!!!

pheelalrights starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/20/2006 04:22PM

pheelalrights

garriswh starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/20/2006 08:26PM

makes me regret not goin back this year :(

jtnt starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 05:46AM

Oh, man - that picture of Joe and Brendann is priceless. Excellent stuff. Thanks.

We're collecting news from JitD from all over the web at the Duo Forums. If you're looking or you've found, check it out: http://organanddrums.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238

Dogfood Tue 3/21/2006 06:10AM

"Very nice taste of the kind. This line up sounds perfect for the next Big Summer Classic. BISCO & STS9, trancedental."

dannymo starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 01:42PM

ENVY

Andy starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 01:59PM

Andy

So awesome! Go SuperDam!

Alex.Anastas starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 04:52PM

Alex.Anastas

Don't think Cheese could bring the heat at a BSC as much as Bisco/STS9, but we'll see...

Wow! How lucky fro JitD fans to be able to see the pioneers David Gilmour and Rick Wright and then the four current Jam Kings (plus guests)! Wow, I am speechless!

gifthorse76 starstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 06:53PM

Duo + Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey + Charlie Hunter = CRAZY DELICIOUS

BiscuitBum starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 09:34PM

BiscuitBum

Speechless as well. Wish I was there.. keep the pics coming

toestothenose starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 05:41AM

toestothenose

This sounds like a one of those dreams that you don't want to wake from.

Nice work all!

phhil starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 10:30AM

phhil

I'm so jealous, high quality thc, dave gilmoure, top notch jam bands. you lucky sob's. Anyways, thanks for the coverage

jackiesoup starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 10:41AM

WoW! Sounds like waaaaaaaay too much fun to me.David Gilmour b4 Umphrey's and The Duo? If only I didn't have to work.
Just got into Umphrey's over the last few months-Very refreshing. Not too fond of the biscuits but only my opinion. Can somebody tell Umphrey to come to Toronto? We kinda need them here.
This event taking place makes me very happy about current music even if I couldn't be there.
seeya
jack

shainhouse starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 11:12AM

I miss it too. Last year was a treat. Thanks for kindling old memories Dee. See you next year. I'll be there.

Andrew W. starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 01:12PM

Andrew W.

GO Super Dee!!!!1!!

Funkestra starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 03:18PM

ARRGHHRRR!!! The Pirate Party on the Ideal was arrrrrright-just not enough p b arrr! The Dam has been awesome- Truly a fun time with great music from all the bands.

Alex.Anastas starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/22/2006 10:04PM

Alex.Anastas

Very nice coverage, I must say. Hats off to Super Dee and Kevin Quinn as they were able to capture the event with great yet aptly brief precision (even though they were probably hazed over themselves). Good job!

treetops78 starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/23/2006 01:27PM

treetops78

SUPER DEE IN SHADES LOOKING SUPER HOT!!!! GO GIRL!
Love Ya!
JJ

Hoopin_2_Tribe starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/23/2006 04:10PM

Hoopin_2_Tribe

I just got back from JitD and it was AMAZING! A truly moving festival if you will! The articles are super, but being there only does the justice! The pics are fabulous! Can't wait to see what next year brings! Keep on dancin'! :) :)

ConciousCollaboration starstarstarstar Fri 3/24/2006 12:16PM

Looks like it was some real fun times, wish i could have been there nice pics too. Also,
It may just be me but seems like the coverage is a little too much on the duo, granted they are talented and i like them alot but look at the other 3 bands and I think everyone will agree with what I am saying. And of course we got wyobisco saying, "hope the tribe and bisco heads are gettin along haha. they oughta be cause both bands rock (biscuits ARE better tho :) )" wow... why is it that there are so many bisco kids stuck in highschool when they the majority are adults.

KMQ Photo starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/25/2006 07:52PM

KMQ Photo

the coverage was a little haevy on the Duo beacause they STOLE the shows. don't get me wrong, everyone was great, but the Duo were subjected to opening slots in Room 2 the 1st 2 nights and the opening slot in room 1 the last night (no closing slots mind you), and they brought it harder than any other band there. granted their 3rd night was lacking a bit, but so was everyones' in that night 2 was definately the best of all. Umphrey's and STS9 came in a close secaond with the DB just on their heals. But that is just my opinion, but I don't have any strong gravitation towards any of those bands so I feel impartial in my opinion. Anyways...glad you liked the pics, and Super Dee did an awesome job of doing the coverage daily being that I know exactly how tired she was the longer the trip progressed. Anyways...hope to see you all there next year. I'll be there...every year!!!

oh, and yes folks the Pirate Paaarrrrrty on the Pirate Baarrrrrge was a blast. I highly recomend the house boats for next year's stay!

hobarttaz starstarstarstarstar Sun 3/26/2006 10:00AM

This review makes me want to start saving today for Jam in the Dam 07. Great review. Great pictures. One of the better and more alive reviews I've seen here in awhile.

Groovin420 Mon 3/27/2006 09:48AM

Yo ITS BABYDAVE Y'all!!!!!! Fuckin sweet man! I will not miss this event in the future. What a great cast and crew. To all th epeeps I met while there, all my love. Oh and the besrt part of JintD was the encore. BLACK CROWS! Shit was off the hook. I was a huge Phish kid who has been lost for the last years or so. I found a musical home in the crows! For Real For Real!

torn&treyed Tue 3/28/2006 09:31AM

drop sts9 and the duo replace em with keller and medeski and we'll talk business for next year

Jidi starstarstarstar Tue 3/28/2006 01:45PM

Jidi

Beautiful city, great people, and the music was OUT OF CONTROL - See everyone next year.

SoulsisterSpunky starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/29/2006 12:41PM

WOW! So you think you missed a good time, Well your right JitDam ROCKS! ALL the bands rocked, but the second night the bands went beyond just rocking...they were kings of Sound. Especially Umphrey's McGee...My comrade, Soul Sister Sassy, at the end of their 2nd night set said it best..."My heart just opened up and in side are 5 precious guys called Umphrey's McGee" Holy fiddle sticks Batman...I love Amsterdam. After the first year I said "One more time...then that's it." Now..."well maybe I could try to go a third....Why the Hell not!!"
This is a great review and some awesome Pics (thanks for including a pic of me in my cool glasses...hehe)
If you aren't certain about the awesomeness that is JitDam buy the DVD (its only like 20 bucks) and then...well, I'll see you next year(hopefully!)

AustinJams starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/30/2006 11:44AM

AustinJams

Joshl92482: have you ever seen STS9? They blew away every other band at this festival. I do agree that they need to step it up a notch and get someone like MMW to play.. next years dream linup:

STS9, MMW, Galactic, Bisco/Umph