A QUICK LOOK AT LANGERADO

Images by Dave Vann

Langerado Music Festival :: 03.10 - 03.12 :: Sunrise, FL

By all accounts, the Langerado Music Festival was a huge success. As we prepare our coverage we've put together "A Quick Look at Langerado" with photos by Dave Vann. Be sure to check back often as the full review will hit soon.

Michael Franti & Spearhead

The Disco Biscuits

Marc Brownstein :: The Disco Biscuits

Langerado 2006

JamBase | Florida
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 3/13/06]

Comments

Myke420FL Mon 3/13/2006 04:31PM

I don't remeber seeing Wayne Coyne in a bubble boucning around the crowd...

wilen520 starstarstarstar Mon 3/13/2006 06:55PM

Langerado was amazing, and Wayne Coyne was definately in a bubble, It was insane

ambientjive starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/13/2006 06:55PM

trust me, he did...I don't know how he managed it, but he dropped down out of the sky and fell right on the crowd, as if out of nowhere or a silent hellicopter or something. It was amazing. He landed and bounced a few times softly on the crowd and then made it to the stage. TOTALLY INCREDIBLE!!

jz Mon 3/13/2006 07:48PM

jz

langerado was nothing short of epic. perfect weather, incredible music (esp sunday -- wilco killed it). im proud to have such a unique, well-produced festival in my backyard.

ps. dave vann rules

TizrelBodegus starstarstarstar Mon 3/13/2006 08:08PM

That little girl is probably the cutest kid that has ever existed

snappy Mon 3/13/2006 08:32PM

snappy

Beautiful work, Vann. Our eyes, yet again, are blessed by your work. Especially liked the ragged Crowes shots. Can't wait to see THOSE guys in Amsterdam in a week! Rock n' roll shouldn't be too pretty...

Alex.Anastas starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/13/2006 11:29PM

Alex.Anastas

I am so jealous of all those who were there (I am in Australia so I don't have much music down under to begin with) as that looks like a s**t load of fun! I am not going to miss this one - Langerado - in the future, for sure!

nate_johnson Mon 3/13/2006 11:43PM

nate_johnson

then you weren't there - it was the very first thing he did!

toestothenose starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 05:31AM

toestothenose

Mark - you shot a nice fest!

iang2k Tue 3/14/2006 06:06AM

this happened right before the Lips started doing their first song, Race For The Prize...

what a weekend!!!!

Bassbuddy42089 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 06:19AM

Yeah i dont remember seeing that either, wish i had though But any way this Festival was awsome anyone who couldn't make it realy missed out. They sould make it bi-annual have it in the middle of fall and middle of spring because im always deppressed when you know its not back untill next year, and that SUCKS! IT would be well worth it. PLEASE lol
Peace

Hans starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 06:59AM

Hans

First Langerado, and well....it was fabulous! Nothin' needs to be said about the high quality of the bands, but one compliment I'd like to give festival organizers...the way they had the 2 sets of stages each staggered, so that generally 2 bands were playing at any one time, one at each pair of stages...was brilliant. Each pair one band would play, the other would set up...when one ended the next set began within minutes...talk about non-stop music!!

jdog27 Tue 3/14/2006 08:40AM

where is hot buttered rum?

obraman starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 09:48AM

This is my third Langerado and each one seems to get better. We are proud to have this in our backyard and we invite the rest of ya'll to join us next year. The weather this year and last... absolutely perfect. The band selections... sublime. Just diverse enough to step out of your normal element... or not. I go to festivals to learn about stuff that is off my radar. Sirius kind of keeps me up on things, but festivals bring it to light. Bottom line was that all of the bands were as stoked about the weather as we were and the crowds were "lit up" and receptive and the whole scene was great and another good reason to be in FLA.

joyfulgurl starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 10:29AM

This was my first Langerado..Came all the way from Jersey..and I have to say..it was ABSOLUTELY worth it!

I had an amazing time. the weather was perfect. the camping setup was great. The line-up completely rocked. I will without a doubt be back next year!!!

Melian Tue 3/14/2006 11:25AM

Big kudos to the organizers for staging quality music in this state, which is all too often overlooked on the concert circuit. This was my first Langerado, and it totally rocked. Great assortment of music, and the organizers made it so easy to transition from one stage to the next. I too saw a bunch of bands I had heard of -- but hadn't seen live before -- and now I've got some new CDs to buy! Truckers were great, UM was mindblowing and Robert Randolph was, as always, incendiary. Looking forward to Langerado 2007.

torn&treyed Tue 3/14/2006 12:26PM

anyone see how crazy fingers played? just curious they have been a staple in south florida for so long.

psychobabble4 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 12:49PM

I would rate the acts and atmosphere an easy 5, but the lack of water and shade led to at least one death, and i myself had to go to the hospital having suffered a mild heat stroke...not to mention i wasn't allowed to bring in a cooler that had nothing but ice in it. the bands were great and so were the people, but this year was all about the dolla dolla bill and that is a crying shame

fischstix Tue 3/14/2006 01:01PM

THIS WAS MY THIRD AND MAYBE LAST LANGERADO. LINE UP WAS POOR AT BEST/ NO REAL HEADLINER/ NO RE-ENTRY/ 5 STAGES WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT PERSONALLY 3 LAST YEAR WAS PLENTY FOR ME/ ENDING AT 9!!!!!!!! WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT/ SECURITY BLEW/ AND GETTING OUT AT THE END WAS A MESS. PERSONALLY LANGERADO IF U DONT STEP IT UP NEXT YEAR WITH A STELLAR LINE UP I WONT BE THERE

WyoBisco starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 04:08PM

it was a beautiful thing. give me more pictures please. and the disco biscuits absolutely blew the place apart. no other act came close to their performance, hope nobody missed it. brothers past, lotus, and the black crowes took second place, burning spear and pnuma third but i didn't catch their entire set. amazing weekend. disco biscuits disco biscuits

jprice starstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 04:22PM

I must agree that this year was not all that worth it. NO RE-ENTRY and the show went from 11am to 9pm. It was a pretty hot weekend too. There was no point in camping since you couldn't go back to your camp site all day once you went in. And the camping was soooooo close. Great locatation....bad concert policy. Once you were in it was the typical overpriced everything. It certainly was a huge success.....for the vendors. Hats off to the event planner. And the one running water source in the venue next to the Landerado letters sign had the handles removed after the first day?!! It was the best way to refresh and get some water. Luckily for those that did camp, they didn't have to deal with the end of concert exit. One way in-one way out....it took 2-2.5 hours to leave and it wasn't that big of a festival. Considering all the element: NO RE-ENTRY, venue was surrounded by a moat, no water access in the venue, no coolers or own food, and overpriced mediocre vendors.....it could have been misinterpreted as a correctional facility benefit concert.
BUT IT WAS ALL FOR THE MUSIC.....and not the fan.

paulyp1973 starstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 08:03PM

The Festival was nice and well run, the bands played well, they need to do something about the parking situation! It took my friends 3 hours to get out of the lot!! The shade tent by the Native stage was key!! Overall they did a good job! My only beef was with Ben Harper's set was it only me or was the sound man drunk during Ben's Set! For the intensity and effort Ben put into that show the sound system or sound man in my opinion ruined it for me. There was a microphone on the drums or one of the levels was hitting the red! I love Ben so that was a bit dissapointing maybe the live recording from the board will sound better! Thanks for the festival! Could you lower the ticket price next year!!

Biscoonthebrain starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/14/2006 08:48PM

Biscoonthebrain

I have to say that Langerado got it right with there late night lineup. The Biscuits, Umphreys, and the Conspirators. WOW. The Disco BIscuits Show at the Festival was sick and the only one that mattered. THe LAte night trio was even sicker then that. Tell Robert Randolph and that black Crowes that i didn't even know that they where there. THey Biscuit were the only one that where important. But the Kellar show was sick. Big up to Pnuma and Lotus Sick as hell. Bisco Lives and is hear to stay.
Peace OUt
J

stressfreejeffrey starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 01:01AM

Anyone catch the burnin smyrnans? I am Completley Biast but the boys bring the funky reggae vibes everywhere they go. Catch them this summer @ a festival near you. Peace & one love

Greenjah starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 05:14AM

Greenjah

Great pics -thanks!!!

Bisco and Umphrey's late-night both were off the chain - that was my first full Umphrey's show I've seen (other than festival slots) and they ripped from start to finish.

Kudos to Ethan and S. Florida Jams for putting together such a killer weekend -again!

Full reviews of both these shows and all of Langerado will be posted shortly on kyndmusic.com or their blog site, the 101report.com. Look for it by this weekend!!!

Scotty Greene

phunkyzen starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 05:18AM

One of the best festivals i've ever been to. Amazing weather.. great food variety from the vendors.. no sketch at all. Didn't mind the no re-entry thing since they had really good beer available for reasonable prices inside. No wait at all to come in. great location right off the highway..friendly staff and security.. even the cops were nice. I'd definitely go back.

CSchneids929 Wed 3/15/2006 05:57AM

always a great time... liked the sci headliner last year alot better..but during the day, the acts were splendid!!! great time see ya'll next year

Michael Jurick Wed 3/15/2006 07:39AM

Michael Jurick

Excellent weekend of music, well-organized and terrific location. I Love this music festival - and thrilled that folks can finally experience such a top-notch festival in South Florida.

Here is a link to my photo gallery from the weekend. Enjoy and see you all next year!

-MJ

mattymu Wed 3/15/2006 10:29AM

vicariously livin had me livid wish i'd driven the distance..sorry i missed it! had some brothers who sent it to me via phone tagging! where's the Lyrics born pics? come on now! luv
next year lets see some

NATIVE ROOT!!!

420Dave Wed 3/15/2006 10:31AM

I would have to agree with fischstix, psychobabble4, and jprice about this year’s Langerado Music Festival. This was my third annual trip to the festival, and I was sorely disappointed. No Re-Entry, No Coolers, Poor Food Venders, No Real Headliner, Too Many Stages, No Parking Lot Exit Strategy, and No Water. Although there were some great performances, few were from ‘Festival’ or ‘Jam’ Bands, as they were not present. G-Love and Keller made the worth it, and I am normally a pretty easy fan to please, but this year festival was a horrible facsimile of something which once was great. Thanks for bringing some good music down this way, but please make Langerado ’05 your model for future productions.

laurenantioco starstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 11:12AM

This was my first Langerado. I had a great time, the weather was perfect, it was a great scene. But I have to admit the line-up was not that impressive. All the good music was during the early day and then by 8:00 I was bored. Ben Harper and Black Crowes do nothing for me!!! I need heady jam music thats going to blow my mind. Pnuma and Umphrey's were defiently the highlight. Too bad Lotus was at 11:44 am, whats that about?

PhunkieBob Wed 3/15/2006 11:22AM

I thought the weekend was totally awesome!

The line up was average, but it was completely redeemed by both the day and especially the late night shows by the Biscuits and Umphrey's - two absolutely fantastic shows!

Best part is the set up, very accesible.
I thought the atmosphere was great, the people were great (looking mostly, never seen a better looking crowd than at Langerado this and last year), and security was lax.

The only problem was the water issue. And what I thought was a very weak second day (with the exception of bp, and pnuma).

ebrown Wed 3/15/2006 12:13PM

My first Langerado...it was okay. The layout didn't bother me, but I agree abouth the Headliners..BORING. The sound was so over the top during Burning Spear on the Sunrise stage, then Meters come on to play the same stage and you could barely hear' em. Loved Sets by Antibalas, The Secret Machines and Bisco late-nite, I'm sure Steel Pulse would have been nice too, but oh well, probably won't go back.

mtnlover starstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 02:07PM

I would agree with most in saying that Langerado was a goodtime,however, it was way better last year. I wasn't that impressed with the lineup. The no entry sucked, to many people (it lost it's intimate feel), way different crowd, and the bands that I saw didn't seem like they were feeling it. Yet, the Duo on Friday was sick and so were KINKY, my favorite new discovery. I may be back next if better bands are playing!

jtudak Wed 3/15/2006 02:19PM

there was water and there was even a Lee jeans tent handing out free nalgene w/ a spigot right next to it, sweet fest but they need to keep the late night onsite no driving after a festival bad idea, great music, not a mind-blowing lineup on paper but in reality(or lack there-of)it was great

sativalvr Wed 3/15/2006 02:45PM

I live in new york and traveled to this concert , in no way shape or form would I cosider it a festival . though your music line-up was superb , the price was high , there were cops harrassing individuals , no re-entry that is rediculous god forbid you forgot something . it showed that everyone is losing freedoms and it truly has turned into a highly profitable marketing event . I don't want anyone to think that fun was not had , but perhaps with the input of those who attended you could improve on certain things . Other than that I would like to say thank you for a pleasurable two day CONCERT event . Also please do your best to improve the ability of everyone to get out easier because that was the worst.

danknugget Wed 3/15/2006 05:22PM

I have lived in Florida for almost 2 years now and this was my second Langerado. As a huge fan of cheese I have to say that something was missing from this years fest. I remember turning to one of my people after Keller and saying "just think how pumped we would be right now if there was a bad ass headliner." We were really pissed when the line-up came out but seeing as alot of our favorites rarely come down (UM, moe., sts9, cheese) we have nothing else to do. Don't get me wrong I had a blast but only because I got to see Umphrey's twice in one day. I am more than willing to put up with the drive to the late nights, the no-reentry, the lack of a headliner and the not being able to camp because it wasn't on site for free, because I am that much of an umphreak. In 05' no-one left until cheese was done
(and they tore it up!!!). This year there was a mass exodus before the Black Crowes even started playing, and we didn't make it within 1000 feet of Ben Harper. On a side note I did not talk to one person Sunday that commented on Ben Harpers performance. A word to all those promoters out there, Ben Harper and The Black Crowes as headliners is a baaaaaad idea!!! A few may disagree but the masses will!!!!!!!!!

wencherina Wed 3/15/2006 06:19PM

This was my third Langerado, and I honestly feel that it gets better and better every year. Everything went so perfectly for us this weekend. My biggest concern and this is a problem every year at every festival I go to, is the trash. I hear so much talk about saving this earth, and no one can seem to put a plastic cup in the garbage can. It makes me so upset to walk around and see so much trash left behind. It really isn't that hard to clean up after yourself.

FLJamFan starstarstarstar Wed 3/15/2006 06:39PM

FLJamFan

Awesome Fest. I honestly enjoyed the Native stage the most this weekend....The Heavy Pets, Crazy Fingers & the Legendary JCs all rocked.
Black Crowes actually caught me by surprise....I kept saying prior to the show, "Why teh hell would they pick the Crowes to headline?"
I was pleasantly surprised by their set.
Thank you to every single person that attended the fest for making it so memorable...I didnt see 1 negative occurrence the entire weekend....thanks to all us heady folks.
Cant wait for next year Mark!

nate_johnson Wed 3/15/2006 06:56PM

nate_johnson

I have to agree with the majority on this one... I almost felt like I was back at a warped tour in how commercial the place seemed. Overall the atmosphere was pretty good - I dont generally imagine palm trees as part of my festival experience, but it felt great out there in March. It looked like all the bands were genuinely happy to be playing there, with the exception of Wilco - tweedy seemed more than a little annoyed to be 'opening' for the crowes. As for them, I agree that the black crowes were an unusual festival band, not really in the jam scene, but the only time i rocked harder than while they played their hits was during Robert randolph's incredible set (complemented by the surprisingly good freestylings of G Love). I'll give the festival a thumbs up, but to bring me back next year LET ME CAMP THERE, and don't shut down at 9pm. And let me bring in my own water - I'm a broke travelling college kid. and I sweat.

Best sets:
Robert Randolph
The Flaming Lips (winner of best social commentary speech)
Umphrey's McGee
Ben Harper

Boodzy1 starstarstarstar Thu 3/16/2006 06:31AM

Boodzy1

Langerado 06 was a success for sure. The surprise of the weekend was the native stage, aside from being too far away, the sueanalo sound system was the groovyest shit. Kuddos to ethan and the rest putting this thing together. Michael Franti, Robert Randolph and the meters were hot as shit! UM smoked and bisco must have stock in raman NOODLES. Anyway thanks for the good times
Boodzy

jerbo56 Thu 3/16/2006 08:17AM

I agree totally about needing some more jam band friendly headliners. I left halfway thru ben harper ( i should have gone to the disco show) and didnt even stay for crowes. If the campground was moved they could have a second exit to help with the traffic.

juls1158 starstarstarstar Thu 3/16/2006 09:53AM

My 1st Langerado - and glad to have been in the sun out of the North, if only for a weekend! Gotta agree with people on a few things.

Good - Lots of options for music- and so many big names, clean/good set-up, good food (but WAY overpriced - $10 falafel?!?!), LOTS of beer tents, excellent weather, good people, the line-up gave us a good range of genres. And, I personally LIKE the fact that I had to stay in a hotel and that it ended early! I got to go to my hotel, take a shower, and go out to a late-night show! I think I have grown out of wanting to camp for a whole weekend... yikes!

Not so good -

- The parking lot exit was ridiculous and caused us to miss the Umphrey's late-night show - bummer. Makes me think that festival organizers skimped on paying people for this job.
- No signs on the way in? We ended up on the target range!
- No re-entry is just not cool
- The "no bringing in food thing" was kind of not-so-cool as they BARELY searched my bag - and RAVAGED my boyfreind's bag - and took my Skittles! Now, they're going to give my CANDY to poor starving people? Interesting- they left a Clif bar and several drinks IN his bag. I'm SURE my Skittles didn't make it to a food pantry!
- Overpriced food - as mentioned above - $10 falafel!? We lived on corn-on-the-cob.
- WATER for the bathrooms - even the morning of the second day, these were not working -- for a festival this small, this should be an easy task to fill these up- if only three times a day.
- Headliners - Not sure whose decision it was to have those headliners... I would agree that it was a bad choice, but I'm sure it also brought in a lot of one-day passes I bet (I noticed an influx of old hippies on the 2nd day) and the multi-genre nature of the festival made this something that not only jam-fans would want to see. Perhaps that's the idea.
- Also would suggest calling local taxi drivers to the entrance of the event next time - and putting a sign up for people to walk out to the park entrance to catch a cab. We didn't know the setup of the event, and couldn't get home after soundcheck (yes, our bad for taking a cab there...) on Fri. night. Every cab place we called couldn't find their way IN to where we were in Markham park.

Overall, I had a great time and was glad to go on vacation to a tropical climate in the middle of the winter. I would certainly go back - but would like to see Trey playing and would like to see Umphrey's have a better spot on the bill as well.

devittles Thu 3/16/2006 10:30AM

i had the best time ever at a festival. every show i saw was killer: meters, robert randolph, bisco, g love, lake trout...and since chris robinson rocked with phil and friends i checked out the black crowes and they put on a fantasic show. i danced my butt off all weekend long. the place was beautiful and clean, the camping was nice and the food was good and not too expensive, for once there were a lot of vegan options--we even found $1 waters. langa-do-do

mateotee Thu 3/16/2006 03:04PM

mateotee

Who caught Keller's James-Brown-after-party? Thanks to everyone of you who stuck around to boogie! I skipped the Crowes at ACLF last year, but was sharp enough to catch 'em at Langerado. I try not to repeat my mistakes.

jswid starstar Thu 3/16/2006 07:06PM

The only good thing about this show were the bands... and it just wasn't enough. The show ended at 9 each day forcing all the concert goers to leave the grounds to catch the late night show... and the cops were going fishing as we left the gates. I got pinched, as did about 100 of us... in a concert with only 15,000 tickets, that number is way too high. Bad planning turned this weekend into a disaster. MOVE THE SHOW TO BIG CYPRESS. PLEASE.

raok Fri 3/17/2006 04:39AM

Ive been to a whole bunch of festivals and this was hands down the worst. The start of the poor planned festival was No Re-Entry. Nice. Then and I am speaking from my own experiences here I couldnt get over the departure to the late night to Umphrey's that I didnt even attempt to go to. No ATM machines that worked was another foolish thing. I brought enough $ with me si it didnt bother me but for someone who brought lets say $200 was in trouble all considering.Now if you cant leave and have a weekend pass then how are you going to get money? Lord o lord! Then to top it all you cant get a cab if you wanted one so you were forced to drive and take the risk of getting into some kinda trouble. I can tell you that I know of people that didnt make it home if you know what Im saying. If you dont those people went to jail instead. Langerado will never see my biz again. I bought a VIP tix also on top of all. I spent some money on your festival so why dont you Langerado?!!

nouser starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/17/2006 04:39AM

James brown after party, owwwww i feel good and i knew that i would now, i have been paying attention to his songs after his sets lately. In Toronto we got the original fantastic voyage, i want to funk down after every kw show, i probly would have danced longer but they only played the one james brown tune. Hey next time maybee feed the crowd lights and more music for an unbelievable funk dance after party. Keep the funk after parties running, funk on

buddhasurf420 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/17/2006 03:46PM

This was my 2nd Langerado. Langerado is my hometown festival, so it means more to me than it may to others. It's only 5 miles from my house. I'm a newbie jam bander, so just about any jam band is new and interesting to me. I finally heard, in person, what the big fuss about Disco Biscuits is. Their music is unique and complicated and I was very impressed by them. I didn't get it exactly on bootleg, but live I totally get it. That jam-fusion shit is crazy and I've never really heard another band quite like it. I finally understand what the hype is about. I had the awesome experience of getting to be onstage with the Flaming Lips, and although they don't seem to be one of the more favored jam-type bands I really appreciated seeing them and getting to be the big inflatable sun in their production. (Yes, that was me! And my girlfriend was the big inflatable butterfly lady!) Let's just say that dancing during "Yoshimi" was a peak experience for me this year. I just wish they hadn't put them and Biscuits on at the same time. Ben Harper was really great. His music is fantastic music for healing your soul to, and he put on a great set with his band. I think besides "Do You Realize!?!" by the Lips, Ben Harper made my eyes tear up the most. The last four songs were each a fantastic complete ending to the first night of the show all by themselves, but altogether it seemed to me like a truly magical set. I heard the one Brazilian Girls track I love, "Pussy pussy pussy, marijuana!" Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah was better than I thought they'd be. Kinky was a great early day warm-up to get us all dancing and grooving. We did tons of dancing and got lots of warm friendly smiles from the other nice hippies who were grooving. Wayne Coyne definitely got in the bubble. The first day of the festival was better than the 2nd, but I did miss a trippy ending to the show like String Cheese last year. The Black Crowes sounded great, I mean they rock, but I was craving something more intense and deep at that point of the show. G Love also put on a great set, and brought Slightly Stoopid out with them. Keller Williams was a fun early evening interlude. The weather was fantastic and we got great tans, but the vibe was maybe not as great as last year's. I think that maybe they tried to do a little too much, and could do better with simplifying by having less stages. 5 was too many, and please could you face them in any other direction besides north? I was staring into the sun most of the day! The food was pretty good, and compared to a lot of the concerts I go to, pretty reasonable. And how about all the Micro Brew beer tents? You didn't even have to pay extra for interesting unique flavors of beer, they were the same price as the domestic shit. Blueberry ale, 420 lager...they were all great. For us locals Langerado is our chance to shine as a jam band destination and an opportunity to celebrate our Spring Equinox and shed the worries of winter and retune our spirits with other like-minded people. If they could improve the parking situation it would be great because I know for a fact that there is another exit to that park out the west side that would have doubled the rate that cars could get out of the park. They need to open 'em up! Overall, it's a fantastic festival and a great way to kick off your summer road trip season! Join us next year! I love seeing all you wacked out hippies in my own backyard!

blazeabagoe starstarstarstarstar Sun 3/19/2006 05:49PM

im just putting this out there. i read in an article down in florida that the owner did not intend it to be a "jam band" festival but a music festival. and if you think of it like that, the line up was great. i was pleasantly suprised at how well ben harper and the black crowes played. i wasn't looking forward to them for sure. i had no problems the whole weekend except missing the first set of UM because of traffic and food and ticket prices. otherwise i will be at langerado every year, this was my second and i can't describe the vibe (esp the soundcheck night).... best show there: the Duo.... by far...finally wioth a killer light rig.

ardmoreflyer starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 07:59AM

Honestly, quit your whining. No festival allows for reentry. My advice to you is don't come next year. Also, 15,000 tix is a small crowd. The diversity in the lineup and the way the schedule was laid out meant that the crowd was evently dispersed allowing for everyone to be close the act and enjoy the music. You can't do any better than that unless you were in the band on stage. So all of you little whiners, why don't you crawl back into your coventry bootlegs and stay there. Langerado is a music festival....'jam band' is not in the title or its description. Perhaps if you weren't so narrow minded you might actually find other good music out there. Also, there was no report of a death and it was NOT hot that weekend. 80 degrees with a breeze is beautiful. Some people comlain about everything. Try going to Coachella where there aren't any trees and the only source of shade form the blistering 100 degree heat are small tents that are packed with people. Langerado was held in a beautiful park with plenty of shade options. In fact, there was so much empty space past the vendors for shade seekers it was ridiculous. I hope the copmlainers stay home next year, the rest of us at Langerado 2007 would certainly appreciate it. To everyone else, see you next year compadres.

phishndisc starstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 02:33PM

yeah ardmoreflyer, You tell them.
Had a great time this year, if I had to make a complaint --- poor scheduling & poor planning for getting out saturday night.

FUN AND SUN baby...if you didn't catch the robert randolph or bisco you missed it all

jesposito starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 03:14PM

jesposito

This was my first Langerado, and I had a BLAST! The people and the atmosphere make it all worthwhile. BUT, as good as the music was I think it's important to mention the bad too so it can be fixed for next year!!
First off, my 2 friends that I came down from Philly with, who are both 20, both got UNDERAGES!!! In the campground at 11 AM!!! whats up with that?! the cops SUCKED--- they were prob just jealous that we were all having so much fun! Luckily, we weren't in the process of doing anything else illegal at the moment!
Also, the cab situation!!! I'm still trying to block out the fact that I had a $90 cab ride from Ft. Lauderdale airport Friday night because the cab companies couldn't find the damn park~! and since i was so broke i had to miss the late nite bisco show --which i already had tickets for-- because I couldn't afford to get back to Ft. Lauderdale!! Next year--- SHUTTLES SHUTTLES SHUTTLES and please, NOTIFY THE CAB COMPANIES AHEAD OF TIME--all night! AND speaking of all night... music ending at 9?? come on! we're young and we wanna partaayyy all night! Late night shows should be AT the park so people don't drive all f'ed up!! And last but not least NO ATMS??? eek bad news for me and for all the vendors too since most people would have probably bought more if they had the money on them!! Bad move for everyone! Well I'm sick of being negative because despite all the flaws, i had an awesome time and i danced my ass of all weekend!! I love our little hippie subculture and festivals like this make me realize how lucky we are to be a part of it! I'm looking forward to (a new improved) Langerado next year... see you all at Bonnaroo!!! peace !!

mateotee starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/21/2006 04:08PM

mateotee

Kid Koala!!!!! Who else is cutting up Louis Armstrong like a master? C'mon now. It's about the music! ASTRONAUT! WHOOOO!!!!!!

ardmoreflyer Wed 3/22/2006 09:10AM

Hey pearlgirl23, sorry to hear about your friends getting busted, but you know what - it is the law and that's just too bad. I'm not sure you have much to complain about there....I think you'll have to take on the Florida legislature honey. That's the second complaint about getting busted for underage drinking so here's a solution: Don't Do It. You'll just have to wait until you're old enough junior. Also, I'm pretty sure that the festival organizers didn't say anything about shuttles so again, if you come down and don't rent a car, then you're on your own. It's not really anyone else's responsibility to get you and your friends to and from festival events. I do agree though, late nites at the festival site would be the one positive thing that they could do for next year. Also, there were ATMs and if you actually read the informational that came with the tickets, it said to plan ahead to bring ca$h since there would only be two ATMs. I think that most of what people are complaining about comes down to their own poor planning. So for next year, put down the bong and read the information that goes with the tickets/website.

Big Ups Langerado!

mmmFriedFrogLegs Wed 3/22/2006 11:23AM

mmmFriedFrogLegs

We'll I've been in attendance for langerado every year starting 2003 up till this year. weak lineup aside , i really have to wag my finger at langer for No-ReEntry this year, is the wristband such a hard concept? re entry is pretty much a necessity for the full festival experience.

*2 Things
Bring Back moe. ,and bring back the re-entry
That is All.

mateotee Wed 3/22/2006 05:00PM

mateotee

I keep reading about this "weak lineup" and seriously I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Did you not see the lineup before you bought your tix? Langerado was as good this year as it's ever been.

keithk1055 Wed 3/22/2006 07:36PM

there are some morons in these threads... people have the right to bitch about shit... there is re entry policies at all of the festivals i have been ot, both for cars and for certainly for people who just wanna go back to their tent, so ardmore maybe yuou should check out a real festival before ya talk shit.... and as for the underage drinking i have never seen anyone have any problems buying alcohol at a festival let alone trouble drinikin one, again go to a real festival.... i was pissed i missed this group of shows, not a festival... a festival dosent end at 930, making you relocate for late night and buy another ticket(like it wasnt expensive enough, thats retarded....and for there to be the number of issues for that tiny amount of people is crazy... oh well ill know to probably skip landerado next year too...i guess we should all be thankful for 10klf and bonnaroo doing festivals the way they should be done and that they are doin coachellas and langeados to keep these assholes from showing up at a real festival

skinny2 starstarstarstar Fri 3/24/2006 09:33AM

I had a blast first of all and if you are bitching about re-entry, driving to late nite shows and all that other shit you must not know how to read bc it said all of this before the festival went down, no one MAKES you buy late nite tix and no one MADE you drive that is your own choice, been to many festivals and this is still a good one if you dont like the rules dont come and then have the audacity to bitch about them peace

keithk1055 Fri 3/24/2006 08:16PM

and of course noone makes you.. but late night is where the real show is at... a true festival dosent end at 9... langerado is definelty not done right.... it may be a good time and what not but it could be so much more, it is setup for money making and pig harrassment, not for a goodtime, seriously anyone who wants to go to a festival done right go to wakarusa or 10klf or bonnaroo.. you will not be dissapointed...maybe if people have a discussion about what went wrong they can fix it... but i doubt they will as these are profit based desicions... thats why langerado will always be small and just way too much of a hassle to deal with, so you guys hang out with the pigs, locked in a venue with hard to find water (aka you gotta buy our expensive drinks cause we hid the free water so well), and oh ya dont have any fun because we gotta go drive around to see the rest of the festival, what? seriously? you gotta buy a ticket too.. you gotta drive and buy another ticket??? fuck that....third rate festival at best

keithk1055 Sat 3/25/2006 09:27PM

ve been reading reviews every where i can find them and it sounds as though music good, festival bad.... ive heard the pigs were outta control (guess they arent as fearful of 15000 as they are of 80000) there was no reentry, once you were into the venue area you couldnt leave and get back in... not even to go back to your campsite or car or anything, basically they trapped ya for the whole day forcing you to buy their food... the water was nearly impossible to find so most people were forced to buy their expensive beverages and the worst part of it was it ended at 9 pm... there were late night shows associated with the festival but they required an extra ticket (like langerado wasnt expensive enough???) and a trip in the car (just what i wanna do after enjoying a day of shows and party favors) but if ya wanted to catch the late shows you would have to leave the regular onsite festival show before it ended because it would take 5 hours to get out of the site in your car, im wondering if anyone has anything positive to say about this "festival" other then the music was good... everyone already knew the acts were good it sounds to me like there are far better places to see them.. i was dissapointed i couldnt make it... it is pretty much the first festival of the year i wish they would get their act together..

grnenergy Sun 3/26/2006 04:23PM

A little planning on the part of the fetival-goers would most definitely have mitigated the worst of the problems.
As far as the "pigs" go, everyone in my crew partied pretty hard and not a one got busted, and none of us were being exactly what I would consider particularly cautious. I recall seeing 4 police officers the entire weekend, and while my perception was not entirely clear, I'm certain they weren't busting anyone at the time. We brought in our own CASE (as in 24 bottles) of water, and not a one was confiscated. I saw so many people with their own beer, and while I don't know how they smuggled 'em in, I'm relatively sure they didn't have to pull some mission-impossible style operation to do it. I'm sure that you could have even brought in your own food if you wanted to. You know what was positive about the festival besides the excellent music? Smiling people having a very good time with their friends and extended festival family. I saw quite a number of people fitting that description, but perhaps I'm not a good one to listen to because I was actually there. The festive vibration comes from within.

keithk1055 Mon 3/27/2006 12:20AM

well thats good to hear.... i dont mean to be harsh on it not having been there... just reading all of the reviews trying to decide if i should try to make it next year... it sounds like it has the music and vibe of other fests but with me not being rich i will probably avoid this fest in favor of waka or 10k just because the vibe and music is at these fests without all of the problems mentioned here...but cabin fever is a bitch in a michigan winter and an early spring fest in florida sounds great if they can fix a few of these problems... maybe they will hear the bitching about seperate late nigh shows and no reentry and fix these issues so it will be more relaxing less pain in the butt type of thing.. also i heard that it may be moving to a new site next year... something about getting off of public land leased form the government to a private piece of land... which would solve a lot of the police issues that some poepl had... well heres hoping they fix this fest up so it can be an acceptable launch to the season

grnenergy Tue 3/28/2006 08:03AM

KeithK, we'll see you @ Waka! Keep the vibe positive dude... music is the answer -it brings us together for something that transcends the 'common world'. Cabin fever is rough... the questions boils down to "What would you do for the sound?" Lanerado lacks the 'true' festival feel -but what else do we do in winter? The summer festivals always offer more freedom... like my mommy used to say, "You get what you get -and ya don't throw a fit" Peace and Love... spread music and positive vibrations.

karacter0 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/28/2006 09:31AM

karacter0

No re entry to the stage area? What a scam!!! I didn't attend and I never will. I don't care if the rules were announced in advance. What a schwag festi idea!

umcheese starstarstarstar Wed 3/29/2006 07:16AM

i am suprised to hear so many people bitchin' about the festival and cops. I saw 4 cops the whole weekend. Yeah, I was told to dump out my camelpak .. but did i? no I just walked down another line and got into the festival like I am sure we have all done before. The re entery was great last year but did you guys think that would last forever? Especially since the parkin lot turned into a dentist office - this year more than last year. I mean people there is a pretty sizable event going on in a mostly residential neighborhood - langerado isnt held on a private farm in bumpkin tennesee; it is primetime real estate in south florida and there are noise laws which is why the festival has to end at 9. I thought having the two big late nights(bisco and umphreys) as opposed to a jammy festival headliner was a better touch considering we got three set of umphrey's and three sets of the disco biscuits - as opposed to last years 1 set of umphreys. They do need to fix the exit traffic strategy. I loved the festival - good vibes and good people. I also forgot to mention the best part ... the last two years the weekends received 10's from the weather channel - what other festival has that under its belt.

whannable Wed 3/29/2006 11:23AM

Try volunteering??? I got in for free and could come and go as I pleased. I spent less then a hundred bucks to get there and back from North Carolina and we left on wendsday so we could be in Florida longer...It's all planning

auum Sun 4/2/2006 10:01AM

i had a fabulous weekend at langerado!! I brought in my own bottled water and if you don't have constant munchies...you don't have to eat all day long! the diverse lineup gave me some new favorites to check out in the future and a chance to step outside just "jam bands"

my only problem was with the merchandise tent.....hello...what the F*** was up with that? wait in line....order here...wait in the other line....pay for your stuff 30 minutes after ordering it? i missed out on the band signing cause i had nothing for them too sign till 15 minutes after they were gone

frankiep Wed 4/5/2006 09:32AM

Drove down to Langerado from CT with my wife and daughter..Had a blast man...But next time IM FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trembo82 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/13/2006 11:51PM

Anyone that can complain can just piss off. I thought it was a great fest with great music and some minor bullshit. I had no problems but I have been doing this for the last 20 years. So what if you cant leave and get back in. Hope for the best and expect the worst. A little planning goes a long way. I will be there next year! After all its about the music and not hidden agendas. Kinky was the shit.
peace
steve

Sj42286 starstarstarstarstar Thu 5/4/2006 10:51AM

Sj42286

langerado is the best festie out there you hear pretty much every band you wanna see you can get as close as you want to every stage. Franti had the best show by far, umphrey's was well umphrey's...keller was fuckin great...then there was the funky funky meters..rjd2 blew my mind great stuff. I drove to langerado with my bro and two of my best friends in a vw vanagon that broke down in south carolina, (by the way did i mention im from boston and my friends we from philly and jersy) while broken down we met bikers he helped us with the van who aslo played an indian flute for us on the side of I95, we had a wisiling mechanic tell us that we were taken a bus home, we got a rental at the last final mintue at about 8 pm 2 hours after hertz closed ( go see merit on flornece SC if you need a rental, hes a good guys he'll hook it up)we spent a total of $200 on oil and 15 hours in SC. After a marathon drived to langerado we made the benevento russo duo's set and it history after that. langerado what esle can i say besides ill be there next year.