David Byrne First Artist To Curate Stage at Bonnaroo

David Byrne First Artist to Curate Stage at Bonnaroo
Byrne also to perform "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno"

David Byrne
David Byrne has assembled a number of performers for the first artist-curated stage in the eight-year history of the Bonnaroo Music Festival. On the evening of Friday, June 12 Byrne, who is performing the "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno," will host his recent collaborators Santigold and Dirty Projectors, singer/songwriter and founder of Righteous Babe Records Ani DiFranco, former Polyphonic Spree member and Beggar's Banquet recording artist St. Vincent and up-and-coming multi-instrumental all-female Norwegian alt/folk band Katzenjammer.

"We've been interested in inviting artists to play a curatorial role in Bonnaroo for some time now," according to Bonnaroo co-founder and producer Ashley Capps. "David was the logical choice for us and we were thrilled that he agreed. His love for music of all kinds and his passion for sharing that music make him the ultimate musical guide."

Byrne adds "this was an easy one. I basically reeled off a list of what I was listening too recently or who I had seen live recently and Ashley and Co did the rest. It's not like these folks need me to introduce them to a wider audience, at least I don't think they do... I'm just thrilled they'll be added to the festival lineup.

In addition to his Bonnaroo appearance, Byrne will be performing at theaters and festivals across the U.S. and Europe throughout the summer of 2009 on his year-long "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno" tour in support of his and Eno's critically lauded new record, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. The set list includes songs from his numerous collaborations with Eno including tracks from several Talking Heads albums produced by Eno, the pair's 1981 collaboration My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and their newest collaborative effort Everything That Happens..., Byrne has already played to sold-out concert halls across the world including two nights at New York City's Radio City Music Hall. His show has been lauded by reviewers as "gorgeous, melodic and spiritually uplifting" (Chicago Sun-Times) and features "the most open-hearted singing of [Byrne's] career" (Washington Post). Check JamBase's review of Byrne in S.F. on his last tour here.

And just in case you need a reason to get excited for David Byrne playing music from his days with Eno (as if), dig on this legendary slab of sound that was only about 20 years ahead of its time:

David Byrne is on tour now in Italy. He begins his U.S. dates on May 3 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Complete David Byrne tour dates available here.

[Published on: 4/20/09]

Comments

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/20/2009 02:20PM

Joshc104

AMERICA IS WAITING !!!!!

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/20/2009 02:24PM

BGsteveBG

So the "Roo Friday headliner" discussion is now over?

aliciajk Mon 4/20/2009 02:27PM

aliciajk

does this mean brian eno is going to be with byrne at roo? cause that would be sick!

chidodger Mon 4/20/2009 02:31PM

chidodger

This sounds very cool and I'm sure it would be great to see, but it still isn't enough to get me to go back to Bonnaroo. enjoy the show to everyone that's going.

n-1 Mon 4/20/2009 02:38PM

wish i could be there. also wish i could celebrate the holiday more. happy 420.

newtongimmick Mon 4/20/2009 02:40PM

newtongimmick

byrne then beastie boys or beastie boys then byrne? i hope its the latter

rayman5108 Mon 4/20/2009 02:42PM

rayman5108

byrne will play with phish fri and do remain in light all the way through i can feel it

rayman5108 Mon 4/20/2009 02:45PM
rayman5108 Mon 4/20/2009 03:36PM

rayman5108

its a wishing well dream but you never know

jkuss80 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/20/2009 05:11PM

jkuss80

Ok, so this will be my 7th Bonnaroo and I think of myself as a pretty in the know type "Bonnaroovian" BUT... Im not totally sure what they mean by this. The way I gather... Byrne will sort of MC the stage for a few acts and collaborate with them and then play his own set. Am I correct? Will this be a "What" or "Which" stage event? What will this mean for the Beastie Boys set? Will this lead into the late night Phish or will they put Beasties in between? Don't get me wrong, I think this is an AWESOME idea... I just dont know how it will work logistically.

jimmyjams Mon 4/20/2009 06:28PM

jimmyjams

jkuss80, i didn't understand either. there's a much better explaination of what's going on on jambands.com. basically he hand-picked all the artist for one of the tents on friday. he will also play his own set (doesn't say where that will be tho) sounds crazy i can't wait for june. i still don't think this solves the friday night headliner spot mystery. i'm prayin for the allman bros. peace

jkuss80 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/20/2009 07:37PM

jkuss80

Thanks alot for that link. I actually think this is a great idea. Get a little slice of whats going on in Byrne's brain. I love finding out what the people who influence me are listening to or are influenced by as well. They should have Chappelle curate a stage next year and do a block party with Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Roots, Pharcyde, Common, Black Star, Dead Prez, and Public Enemy. I agree that this solves nothing about Friday night's headliner. Id also love to see them add the Allmans but at this point Im so happy with the lineup already I cant slight them for not booking ABB. Im sure they tried to after last years cancellation. There is alot of rumblings on inforoo that Fallon is cancelling. I hope they get David Cross to makeup for last year as well.

brooklynite84 Mon 4/20/2009 07:41PM

This will be awesome to see Byrne with all these other artists. I'm with some of you who are just as confused on the Fri headliner. I really don't think it will be Beastie Boys...why would they make a special announcement for Sat and Sun, but not Fri especially when the Boys were already on the bill, something phishy is going on here. It's weird how they are announced to headline every other festival except this one. I remarked in the Puscifer review that I had read an article with Tool being the Headliner, but that doesn't sound credible either, especially since they were there a couple years ago, it'd be like getting Radiohead back again this year, which would be amazing, but doesn't sound possible. Then again, Tool is back and on the Festival circuit. They haven't announced any other dates except for three festivals, so this may be possible. I'm hoping that the Friday Night Confusion will end soon, cause I'm dying to know what the hell is going to happen. Allmans, Dead, Tool...I can't hold my composure. Oh well, at least I got this to look foward to.

djacoustic Tue 4/21/2009 07:11AM

djacoustic

When the hell is the Roo schedule coming out? Who gives a shit about fucking widgets! Give me the damn schedule so I can be pissed about the Beastie Boys playing before Phish! (Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for Mr. Byrne to be on before Phish.)

ladym292 Tue 4/21/2009 07:42AM

Byrne and Eno dont play together...I had the pleasure of seeing this show in the early fall last year...Byrne was awsome to say the least...he is worth seeing at Roo...

pronice starstarstar Tue 4/21/2009 08:21AM

I'm psyched to be going back to the Roo...but why do they always wait so long to print out a schedule? A lot of people are travelling long distances and need to prepare for such things. After 8 years one would think it should be finished quicker than this.

As for David Byrne at Bonnaroo...sickness shall ensue. He floored me when he played there last! I am guessing there will be a Phish/Byrne collaboration of some sorts.

Fultzwagon Tue 4/21/2009 09:44AM

Fultzwagon

Katzandjammers band name is already taken...maybe a different spelling, but Dave Katz of Ekoostik Hookah has a side band named Katz and Jammers. Sweet maybe Dave will get paid and then hookah can get some bigger acts at Hookahville!!

rastafool Tue 4/21/2009 09:44AM

the first to curate? not sure if this is true, i might not get the whole picture, but i believe bill laswell did it in 2004. maybe it was his band material, but if im not mistaken he curates different artists for each show. by the way if anyone has that set i would be more than glad to buy it from you, i can only find the encore song. skulsk20@student.scad.edu. i stumbled into the tent on accident to get out of the rain and didnt leave till much after the show ended. it blew my mind and i had to come back for my shoes to find a whole tent filled with muddy shoes, but with a little roo luck i found my own.

Mr. Holland's O-Face Tue 4/21/2009 09:50AM

Mr. Holland's O-Face

Did you know that katzenjammer means hangover? Pretty cool word to describe being hungover. I like Dave Katz use of his own name.

rainydaywomen420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/21/2009 11:18AM

rainydaywomen420

wowzer, the initial lineup really had me sold with phish, byrne, and wilco alone. Pleases me oh so much that ill be seeing so very much from byrne