Bob Dylan: New Album

Bob Dylan: Together Through Life Set For April 28 Release on Columbia

Columbia Records announced today the title and release date for Bob Dylan's 46th album. Set to hit ears on April 28, Together Through Life is the follow-up to 2006's Grammy winning, platinum-selling Modern Times.

The album was produced by Jack Frost and is said to have been sparked by the creation of "Life Is Hard" which Dylan wrote for an upcoming film by French director Oliver Dahan.

For some cool insight into the album, check out Dylan's recent conversation with Bill Flanagan here.

It was also announced earlier today that Zimmy (you know his name is Robert Zimmerman right?) will be headlining Rothbury. For complete Dylan tour dates go here.

It's really hard to pin down a single attribute that makes Dylan the super-legend he is. It of course starts with his over-the-top-genius songwriting, but it also has to do with his productivity. He's about to release his 46th album. His arsenal of material is so massive it's hard to comprehend how one man alone could have created it. We were reminded of this once again as we were listening to his last release Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 (released 10/07/2008). There are a number of lesser-known gems to be found. Check out this alternate version of "Most Of The Time" for yourself:

[Published on: 3/16/09]

Comments

tDB get me off Mon 3/16/2009 04:26PM

tDB get me off

fuckin A right. thats what im talking about. 46 albums and he's still going strong. love me some dylan. words cannot describe. rothbury here i commme

jbleiche Mon 3/16/2009 04:36PM

how could most of you not know most of the time? Great song! actually i only know it because it was on the high fidelity soundtrack or something

jbleiche Mon 3/16/2009 04:36PM

And it should be pointed out that Jack Frost = Bob Dylan

IndiOcean star Mon 3/16/2009 04:40PM

IndiOcean

Bobby D !! 46 Farkin' albums yall!! there should be a poets addendum in the Front of the Bible that includes Dylan, thee Robert Hunter, Bruce Cockburn, Peet Seeger, the Guthries..etc

check out Reggie Young guitar player, he's on a few of your albums guaranteed.at the Dylan 30 yrs. in music gig a few years back, Bob Dylan comes over to ask Reggie how He's doin'..it's like that. Long live B-F-D

babywood Mon 3/16/2009 04:40PM
salasus Mon 3/16/2009 04:50PM
Broesau Mon 3/16/2009 05:02PM

^doesnt get it.

benjaminsochko Mon 3/16/2009 05:24PM
Jenny Jen starstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 05:31PM

Jenny Jen

Nice! Can never get enough Dylan music... First time I saw Dylan, Santana opened for him on that 93 tour.. amazing. Not a particularly huge fan of Modern Times, but anxious to any new material this man has to offer. Yup, yup. . .

AJ81 Mon 3/16/2009 05:38PM
jkuss80 starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 05:50PM

jkuss80

^^^ I REALLY hope that was meant in jest. Next time see if he'll play Freebird. The single most important american musician of all time in my not so humble opinion. So much so that the cover of "Desolation Row" that My Chemical Romance did for Watchmen almost ruined the movie for me. Note to My Emo Romance... Please don't do that ever again. I can't promise there wont be some sort of amazingly violent reaction next time.

angelsfear starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 05:55PM

angelsfear

bobby fucking dylan is da man!

Mr. Brojangles starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 06:27PM

Hell yes, sons and daughters! This has been a great few days of music news.

discocham starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 06:36PM

discocham

Bob Dylan has never had a voice. I grew up on his music, my parents are huge fans, they came home from shows 20 years ago and commented on how poorly he sang. BUT its not about some stellar voice is about the music overall and of coarse the great lyrics/songs.

I have only seen him once at Roo a few years back and I would say it was not a spectacular show. But his last album 'Modern Times' has not left my playlist since the day it came out. If you have not heard this album give it a listen and then talk shit.

Rothbury is gonna be the tits. I am excited Dylan is there but would rather see a more up tempo band play a headliner slot...on the other hand I have not heard this new album...

Jokerman starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 07:18PM

JennyJen- really? not a big fan of modern times? i find that hard to believe if you are a dylan fan. i can't wait for this next album...

jtaylor365 starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 07:21PM

jtaylor365

Love me some Bob! IMHO The greatest songwriter ever!

lovemusical Mon 3/16/2009 07:21PM

One aspect to Dylan's genius is the consistency and timeless quality of his songs. He is always changing and evolving and so is his music. That is why you'll never see the same show twice, or perhaps even the same song played the same way twice. I've seen him at least 17 times, which is nothing compared to some of his older fans. The man has been touring more than he hasn't since the mid 70's. I think he will until he drops. I think it helps to know his library of music very well to get the most out of his live shows. His voice is so shot, that its hard for some people to get in to it. Thats fine. Everyone has their tastes. To see how well his music can be reinterpereted, listen to:"Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan" Fantastic!

rainydayman starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 08:04PM

rainydayman

Cool. Bob's voice in concert is shot. It pains me to say that almost as much as it pains me to hear him.....BUT, his voice on this upcoming album is just as pristine as it is on Modern Times...enjoy.

Coconut Phil starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 08:17PM

Coconut Phil

Man, another album on the way. I'm a big Dylan fan, love the old stuff, and the new Time out of Mind is one of my all time favorite albums. Seen Dylan twice, awesome shows. I heard he has played some really bad shows lately. Looking forward tot he new album. No artist out there will ever top Dylan's legacy. Anyone slamming him really needs to grow up.

Icculus049 starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/16/2009 08:27PM

FUCKIN A !! New Dylan Kicks Ass.

Jenny Jen Mon 3/16/2009 10:07PM

Jenny Jen

Nah it's more New Morning for my wine, Oh Mercy for my strong drink. Modern Times is an amazing album don't get me wrong, but just for ME personally it seems too stock musically more than not.

hayden4 Tue 3/17/2009 12:46AM

how does he do it? ....WITH THE HELP OF HIS NEW LEOPARD SKIN PILL BOX HAT......yyyyaaaaaa rothburger!

Umphomey Tue 3/17/2009 02:10AM

Umphomey

I got something to say and I know none of you want to hear it,. I am pissed off and I want you guys to understand why. If you have talent in music, make it. If you don't, then don't. Why is that so hard. One good band can help people and if you don't want people to be helped with your music than you aren't making good music. That seems simple to me. All the wrong reasons lead to all the wrong music. One day a good band that could have been great will realize all this. Sorry for the confusion by some.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Tue 3/17/2009 03:36AM

he is taking up the entire shelf!!!

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:40AM

Joshc104

Zimmy Zammy Rothbury !!!

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:41AM

Joshc104

(Bob - You better be there for the 4th as well & not just Sunday)

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:42AM

Joshc104

Until then, I'm just sitting here oh so patiently and watching the Cape Fear River PHLOW.

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:43AM

Joshc104

PhisH is back !!!

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:45AM

Joshc104

oh shit so is The String Cheese Incident.

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:46AM

Joshc104

mmm Limburger.

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:47AM

Joshc104

back to work - happy st patty's day - keep it green!

dfrolicus Tue 3/17/2009 06:48AM

Too many politics, too little Dylan

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 06:49AM

Joshc104

- most of the time -

Jokerman starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 07:07AM

i agree that Oh Mercy is a great album, i also think that New Morning is one of the less appreciated albums like Infidels, both of which have classic under the radar (so to speak) dylan diamonds in the ruff

phishmann starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 07:19AM

phishmann

I love Dylan, the song sounds great. Desire is one my favorite albums of all time.(especially in the morning) Ill' have to get modern times, Im only 3 years late.

smiley3 Tue 3/17/2009 08:06AM

Just wanted to let you guys know that New Morning is not really underappreciated, any time you go to someones house, they've got New Morning sitting there ready to be put on the turntable....if you want to speak of albums not well recieved, read what the critics thought of Self Portrait when it came out....but everyone still bought it and plays it till the vinyl is worn thin...

OhioGrown88 Tue 3/17/2009 08:35AM

check out this new site...

there is a rothbury article up there with bob dylan in it.

mudbuddy11 Tue 3/17/2009 08:47AM

I feel lucky to have shared some of my time on this earth with this man. He's been the voice of several generations, and in my opinion, is unmatched as a songwriter. Who has been more influential to rock and roll as a whole? after all this time, not only is he still relavant, he is the best voice I know. Thanks bob.

Fultzwagon starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 09:11AM

Fultzwagon

YEP, Best Ever!!!!

jerrybird11 Tue 3/17/2009 09:30AM

self portrait is one of my favorite, love political dylan and especially groovy dylan.

dankb23 Tue 3/17/2009 09:59AM

dankb23

at least he's got 2 months off before the rothbury show, hopefully his voice will recover a little

honkeyTRON Tue 3/17/2009 08:07PM

I for one think Dylan's voice has gotten better with age. Yes, I know he's not "technically" a good singer, but technical has nothing to do with it. Now that he's an old man that's been around, not just the block, but the whole friggin' world for years, he sounds like he was trying to sound in the early 60's: a grizzled old bluesman with a thousand lifetimes of experience. If you want to hear where Dylan gets his vocal style, dig up some Doc Boggs or Blind Willie Johnson. Archive.org's 78's & cylinders collection is a great resource:

tpgi649 starstarstarstar Tue 3/17/2009 10:29PM

tpgi649

I love dyl, he's chill as helllll. Dude can do whatever he wants. His shit will always hit you where it counts if your listening right.

kearneyval Tue 3/17/2009 11:10PM

Great news! Great to hear he's still writing music. He must be immortal. When I heard about Modern Times coming out a few years ago I was extremely skeptical, but some of the songs on that album are downright beautiful. Just something about driving around snowy Pennsylvania and listening to "Spirit on the Water" is just perfect.

I'll never doubt Dylan again.

kearneyval Tue 3/17/2009 11:19PM

p.s.

I know double posting is lame, but I still remember seeing Dylan in Reading in the summer of 2006. I was pretty close to the stage, and at one moment during the show Dylan looked up from his keys and looked me dead in the eyes.

Now people will say that he's lost it and his music and lyrics have suffered with time, but when a living legend looks at you in the eyes, you remember why you came to see him in the first place.