Flea Joins Wood & Stewart In Reformed Faces

Flea Joins Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart In Reformed Faces
Band Records First Album In Over 30 Years

Rod Stewart
According to NME.com, The Faces have apparently completed writing their first album since 1973's Ohh La La. Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart made the announcement last November that they were reforming and have since confirmed Red Hot Chili Peppers' bassist Flea will be joining the band.

Ronnie Wood revealed that the album was written on a trip he and Stewart took over Christmas, reportedly visiting Costa Rica, Bermuda and Miami.

And in case you forgot, check this nasty "Wicked Messenger" for a reminder that Stewart actually can rock... or at least could, we'll find out if he still can soon.

[Published on: 1/21/09]

Comments

angelsfear Wed 1/21/2009 12:20PM

angelsfear

sweeeeeeet!

D.B.Higdon starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 12:48PM

D.B.Higdon

Excellent news. Flea is no doubt a talented bassist and will do Ronnie Lane proud as he smiles down. Not too many lead vocalists rock the mic like Rod used to. Well, Paul Rodgers, but not too many others.

Here's hoping Ian McLagan hops on the train.

mesaxi star Wed 1/21/2009 12:50PM
RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 12:51PM

RothburyWithCheese

Awesome!!! For any Rod Stewart fans (70's shit) check him out with Jeff Beck Group. Totally kick ass.

matthau Wed 1/21/2009 12:58PM

mesaxi....do you even know who the Faces are??? Guess not! The Faces along with the Stones basically developed the dirty whiskey drenched rock that just about every rock band in the world has copied.

peaton Wed 1/21/2009 12:58PM

peaton

When "Ooh La La" comes on at the end of Rushmore, thats one of my favorite moments of any movie. Other than that, I don't know much about Faces other than Rod Stewart was actually good with them.

brendan3 starstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:03PM
matthau Wed 1/21/2009 01:06PM

"A Nod is as Good as a Wink.....to a Blind Horse" is defintitely one of the archetypes for how dirty rock and roll SHOULD be played. It is required listening.

BabaOrion Wed 1/21/2009 01:11PM

Now THIS is a great reunion. I haven't seen any mention of Kenny Jones and Ian Stewart, but I hope they're on board with this, too. Flea is definitely an interesting choice to replace Ronnie Lane. I always thought they'd find a more "boogie-woogie" type bassist...

BabaOrion Wed 1/21/2009 01:12PM

^^^I meant Ian McLagan!!! Whoops!

KCReb starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:12PM

KCReb

Ian McLagan is definitely in! He plays a weekly gig down here in Austin with his "Bump Band" and this rumor has been swiriling around town for weeks now.

crowesfan starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:12PM

crowesfan

The Faces are unbelievable I've been waiting for this reunion for a couple years. Rod Stewart is such a great lead singer and front man when he is with The Faces (plus his stuff with The Jeff Beck Group is great as well.) Truly great news. If you haven't listened to any of their albums definitely listen to them before you bash Rod Stewart you might just find that The Faces are the true definition of rock and roll

fishbone1 starstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:42PM

fishbone1

Rod Stewart is not my favorite, and I think his solo material is garbage, but The Faces kick ass. The track above is rockin' hard. I'm gonna look for some more to listen. I can't believe they're this underrated. Hailing from Chicago, I have 97.1 The Drive on my number one preset when I'm in town, and I'm surprised they don't play more Faces.

D.B.Higdon starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:46PM

D.B.Higdon

Yep, Ian's going on tour with James McMurtry on his European leg, so here's to hoping he gets in contact with these fellas. I've heard the rumours, too, and Kenny Jones needs to be phoned in.

The Faces reuniting and two announced Mott the Hoople 40th Anniversary show, good news indeed.

driftinimpulse starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 01:56PM

driftinimpulse

Being 32,i never had a chance to see the faces.Hopefully they tour and make it to New York !

phalluscooper Wed 1/21/2009 02:02PM

phalluscooper

Rock-n-Roll returns! (time to get your drink on)

daveapaug starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 02:34PM

daveapaug

Face were an awesome 70's rock band. Loud, drunk, rowdy, in your face rock and roll. Tell me where and when and I'll be there, sporting my three-button hand-me-down.

daveapaug Wed 1/21/2009 02:34PM

daveapaug

^Faces

moemoe6434 Wed 1/21/2009 02:58PM

That song is great, I can't wait to hear their new stuff!

mjoffe18 Wed 1/21/2009 03:16PM

fishbone- good comment!! I'm also in Chicago and ONLY listen to 97.1, and yes, they don't play much Faces, but at the same time, there's a limited catalogue and very few hits, but one of the most underrated bands OF ALL TIME!!!

spinyn Wed 1/21/2009 03:28PM

I saw both the Faces and the Rolling Stones in 1972. The Stones were at Winterland (a makeup to the Bay Area after Altamont) and that Exile tour was one of their biggest and most hyped. The Faces were better...

gmoo Wed 1/21/2009 03:55PM

gmoo

I have never heard of The Faces. They must have slipped under my radar. Does anyone have any recommendations on songs/albums so I get get familiar with the music?

jesposito Wed 1/21/2009 04:30PM

jesposito

'Stay With Me' is probably their most popular song. gmoo you've probably heard it before and just didn't know it.

greysoul starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 04:44PM

greysoul

gmoo: If it's to be one album, "A Nod's As Good As A Wink ..." is probably a good place to start. If you want to jump in with both feet, the "Five Guys Walk Into A Bar" box set is a wicked crash course in all things Faces - and, sadly, the late, great Ronnie Lane. (God bless his soul.)

mescking starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 04:51PM

mescking

I thought I had read somewhere that this reunion wasn't going to happen. If it is, it's right up there with the Dead reunion for me. Here's hoping to a massive tour in support of the album.

gmoo Wed 1/21/2009 04:59PM

gmoo

Waneegoer Wed 1/21/2009 05:43PM

Waneegoer

I don't usually comment on these boards, but WOW this is some seriously good news! If they tour in support of this album I will travel great lengths to catch a piece of this reunion. Flea too? Right on right on

schofizzl Wed 1/21/2009 06:02PM

schofizzl

i'm surprised there are people who don't like Flea... i've never heard of him doing anything negative to any one, ever... as far as i have ever been able to tell he is one of the most positive people on the planet, and also has more personality on bass than anybody else who has achieved that level of international recognition. long live Flea! also i'm ready to hear some good news about Chickenfoot, anybody else?

mreezal Wed 1/21/2009 07:09PM

mreezal

check out flea rippin some fusion on some tracks on Joshua Redmans Elastic Band album, its so fuckin raw.

and

chicago heady bros, they play Stay With Me all the time on The Drive 97.1

stuffisgood17 starstarstarstarstar Thu 1/22/2009 08:00AM

excellent stuff. The Faces are one of the best kept secrets in all of rock and roll. Besides people knowing Ooh La La and Stay With Me, they need to get the respect they deserve. I hope Rod can still wail.

hardingmr Thu 1/22/2009 12:03PM

I think I just crapped my pants!! I can't wait!

futhepharmer Sat 1/24/2009 12:05PM

futhepharmer

Get faced with the Faces!

The all-time booziest band of them all! The purveyers of tight looseness (and on ocassion just all out booze related sloppiness but they can be excused for that cause it was ALWAYS fun) will always be worth their weight as a must see reunion. What a great band to check out if some of you younger basers are wondering. Back before Rod the Mod Stewart got kinda gay, he was a fun-loving young bastard. And the Woodster has always been mad cool. I'm not going to too many shows this year due to the economy but I won't miss this!

futhepharmer Sat 1/24/2009 12:09PM

futhepharmer

and Flea can hold his own in whatever style music he wants. A great bass player is a great bass player no matter what their previous bands were.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Thu 1/29/2009 08:00AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

Nice but I wonder how Stewarts vocals hold up nowadays?