First Album: Keller Williams

Editor's Note: This is the second installment of our new "First Album" column. As the name suggests, it's an opportunity for some of our favorite artists to tell you in their own words about the first album they ever dropped the needle on. Each week we'll offer up another musician's "First Album" experience.

First Album: Keller Williams

The first album I bought with my own money was Destroyer by KISS. It was an actual record and I was ever so proud. The cover, displaying the cartoon drawing of Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, and of course, Peter Criss posed in the rock & roll Demon God stance, remained in my window sill serving as art work next to my Farrah Fawcett poster. The record stayed on my little turntable, which was one of those record player/speaker combos, that I turned up for that extra distortion. The album taught me how to rock as hard as any second grader possibly could (legally). The records that were available to me at the time were things like Tom T. Hall and John Denver, which I loved and sang along to, but I needed to rock harder than that. I even went as far as taking the record to school for show and tell where I read the lyrics to "Detroit Rock City" right off of the sleeve. This record also stopped me from pretending to play the little kids' acoustic guitar to John Denver's Greatest Hits and forced me to pretend to play electric via a hockey stick with some twine as a strap – leaving excess string to simulate the cable, of course.

Keller Williams is on tour now; dates available here.

[Published on: 1/19/09]

Comments

crazyleggedelbow star Mon 1/19/2009 06:55AM
nomemory starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 07:41AM

nomemory

I thought the comments of MR.Williams were entertaining...what did you expect crazyleg? Should keller have taken his time to write a five page essay to appease you? He was in second grade, the fact that he remembers it at all is a feat unto itself...I look forward to more of these articles

DELYEAH starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 08:01AM

DELYEAH

I personally like the first album articles. You can't knock someone for the quality of the first album they bought when they were a kid. I've gone through a number of musical phases since I was little and have bought several albums that are laughable today (like Shaq's first cd-Shaq Diesel). I just think it's hilarious to see the huge variety of other people's first albums and how they stack up today.

brendan3 starstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 08:28AM

hell yeah del yeah, Shaq Deisel.

phishr82 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 09:48AM

phishr82

^^^ haha, Shaq's album was so terrible/awesome!

Flat5 Mon 1/19/2009 10:11AM

Flat5

keep doing this. this could be pretty cool!

jerZ Mon 1/19/2009 10:17AM

Shaq's album with the FuShnikens was even better

PickinKind Mon 1/19/2009 10:32AM

PickinKind

shaq-fu

DELYEAH Mon 1/19/2009 10:42AM

DELYEAH

I used to love Fu-Schnickens! How about Das Efx, Black Sheep, & Lords of the Underground? Ha ha, these were unbelievable to me back in the day!

GeorgieP Mon 1/19/2009 12:22PM

GeorgieP

^^ I lickety love Das EFX, Del Yeah. Early to mid 90s hip-hop gets a lot of play on my iPod.

nomemory starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 04:20PM

nomemory

I have you all beat, my first cd was the alladin soundtrack...first tape was probably the fresh princes first album, Pre will smith days...parents just don't understand, man

Skitterbrain starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 04:50PM

George Therogood and the Destroyers... LIVE!

...shut up. It was live music and I was four years old.. so that should count for something.

I was the only kid in kindergerden singing "I drink alooone, yeeeah with nobody else--ahh..."

PunkJazz Mon 1/19/2009 05:01PM

PunkJazz

New Kids on the Block... I think

Cola21 Mon 1/19/2009 05:56PM

Cola21

I can't let it go any longer without being said. Do any of you read the website whatwhitepeoplelike.com or something? Because old-school hip hop is one of the segments. And it's so true. I dig it, too. But it's spot on. White people catch on to black-originated music about 15-20 years after black people have moved beyond (massive generalization but bear with me). Jazz, blues, rap. I mean, we thought jazz was the devil music. Today, every white jam lover/self-proclaimed music lover thinks jazz is the most sophisticated music ever. Maybe it is. But, a little late? Interesting stuff. Again, I dig some old school hip hop, jazz, and blues. But then again...i'm white. Any truth to that? You tell me.

jacoyle1 Mon 1/19/2009 08:09PM

wow Glassworks made two whole comments and didn't make 1 phish reference

Michael9 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/19/2009 09:52PM

Keller should have been w/ Shaq in Kazaam.

lovejahlive Tue 1/20/2009 08:34AM

lovejahlive

Styx- Pieces of Eight!

shutupkids starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/20/2009 08:38AM

shutupkids

^jacoyle...Scent of a Mule is a phish song you dumb ass....so just shup up

fishbone1 Tue 1/20/2009 10:13AM

fishbone1

^not to mention Glassworks asked Keller if he's going to Hampton... So there's two phish references, jacoyle.

brossjohnson Tue 1/20/2009 10:33AM

Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil

driftinimpulse starstarstarstar Tue 1/20/2009 12:13PM

driftinimpulse

thanks jambase this segment has lots of potential...keep upi the good work!

DAMONCORY starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/20/2009 01:16PM

DAMONCORY

Les Claypool & Skerik, would be interesting for this bit.

timmytucker34 Tue 1/20/2009 01:39PM

first i can remember....run dmc - tougher than leather cassette

"i'm a hooper, a hyper, protected by viper" - shaq-fu

Govindaze starstarstarstar Tue 1/20/2009 01:45PM

This is a good idea jambase.

David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

Still rock that one every now and then.

timmyp starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/20/2009 07:33PM

timmyp

mine was the soundtrack to the movie "breakin'". parachute pants. had the song "tour de france" by kraftwerk. still golden.

sneakypete843 starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/21/2009 08:37PM

sneakypete843

Good story, these should be interesting to compare.

Mine was Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits. Listened to the cassette over and over as a kid, Especially Mrs. Robinson.

Ninetynine starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/23/2009 07:33AM

Yo Yo Yo, Kdub...Can just see you makin' your moves! Same album played at our house same era! KISS were so unique and musically tight, hard rockers!Rock on', Kdub. Peace/out. 99

Great series and nice insights, JamBase...thanks and hugs all around!

cphil150 Fri 1/23/2009 11:02PM

Incubus - Make Yourself

tallboytodd starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/7/2009 09:37AM

tallboytodd

Heck yeah K-Dub, I hope you bust out some "Shout it out loud" up at the Mishawaka Amphitheater in Colorado coming up here soon. I can't wait to see both Keller solo and WMD'S in the same weekend. Poudre Canyon here we come.