Flaming Lips to Curate ATP

THE FLAMING LIPS confirmed as Guest Curators at ATP New York 2009
September 11-13 at Kutshers Country Club, Monticello

The Flaming Lips
All Tomorrow's Parties have announced that THE FLAMING LIPS have been confirmed as guest curators for the 2009 New York Festival. They will perform and select around 15 artists to play on their day. Tickets for the festival and rooms at Kutshers and at the nearby Raleigh hotel are on sale now. Tickets for the whole weekend are priced at $235 each + booking fee. Rooms cost $150 per person, full information available on www.atpfestival.com.

The format of 2009's event is the same as last time, with Friday featuring Don't Look Back sets and a comedy stage. Saturday will be once again curated by ATP and Sunday will be curated by guests The Flaming Lips. Criterion will once again host the cinema. There are two more additions to the ATP curated day; the excellent AUTOLUX and BLACK DICE. Here's the rundown so far:

Friday 11 September – Don’t Look Back / Comedy

Dirty Three perform Ocean Songs
Suicide perform First LP
Comedy curated by David Cross

Saturday 12 September – Curated by ATP

Animal Collective
Antipop Consortium
Atlas Sound
Autolux
Black Dice
Panda Bear

Sunday 13 September – Curated by The Flaming Lips

The Flaming Lips

Tickets and further info avaiable here.

[Published on: 12/11/08]

Comments

allthink Thu 12/11/2008 10:16AM

allthink

How good is Animal Collective?

hoobsfriend Thu 12/11/2008 10:37AM

hoobsfriend

Animal Collective is unbelievable. If your not listening you should be.

1048 starstarstarstarstar Thu 12/11/2008 11:24AM

1048

IMO Animal Collective is one of the best bands around, and Panda bear solo is somehow even better.

nickrbk Thu 12/11/2008 11:57AM

nickrbk

sounds like a rip off. lips are good, but over 200. not for me

iwantstogetfunkedup Thu 12/11/2008 12:27PM

I'll show you a curator.

schofizzl Thu 12/11/2008 02:56PM

schofizzl

unfortunately, i feel some hatin' coming on in this thread.

groovatronics Thu 12/11/2008 04:46PM

just so you are not falsely over-informed, animal collective is a lot of indie hype from my point of veiw. it's quite noisy (just for the sake of noisy, i mean) and usually doesn't seem to go anywhere or culminate into anything. and believe me, i've got SEVEN of their albums. i just don't think people should be too quick to classify them as 'brilliant geniuses' simply because they are avant garde and try to be wierd as all get out. and don't take this the wrong way, i mean you wouldn't believe some of the music i listen to. just not the biggest fan of these guys. THIS IS NOT HATIN.

futhepharmer Thu 12/11/2008 04:54PM
irtimed Thu 12/11/2008 05:39PM

irtimed

didn't impress me at 10klf. if they just had the same stage lights as everyone else, no confetti, and no big mouse ball, then they would not be nearly as popular as they are.

desert_drifter Thu 12/11/2008 10:12PM

desert_drifter

you can't hate on a festival named after a velvet underground tune. check out the sonic youth all tomorrow's parties disc to see what kind of music comes out of these curated events.

don't underestimate the lips and listen to the test flight ep...

nuke_ticketbastard starstar Fri 12/12/2008 06:25AM

hmmm does sound like it would be a good time....but yes , a little pricy for sure i wonder...

must you buy a ticket for the whole event or can you get just one day?

is the 150$ per person for the room also a per night as in 450 per person for all 3 nights?

yeah i know it is new york so i am sure it is probably 450 pp for a grand total of 900 for a room and another 500 for tickets gets you close to 1,500 for 2 people to attend this plus probably another 500 + to eat and drink.....and so on and so on......

DeadBandofPhishes420 Fri 12/12/2008 08:30AM

I love the flaming lips, their shows are some of the most exhilarating performances out there. If you have a chance to see them you should, hopefully Mark Coyne will roll through the audience in his giant inflatable hampster ball. Always a good time. Animal collective is quite unique to say the least, I recently downloaded an NPR podcast of one of their live shows and at times the "noise" does get a little obnoxious, but all in all they can make some pretty good sounds.

okalrightic Fri 12/12/2008 09:21AM

^it's actually Wayne Coyne brah.

You know, i used to love the Flaming Lips, i think they have a number of really awesome songs. Then I saw them live...I don't think I've ever been more disappointed at a show in my life. When you filter through all of the specatacle (which is little more that a masturbationfest) its plain to see that these guys are much in the musician department. I don't get the hype anymore, and I would never even consider paying that much to see this band wank.

okalrightic Fri 12/12/2008 09:23AM

aren't much*

djdaddyp starstarstarstarstar Fri 12/12/2008 01:17PM

djdaddyp

I've had the "this is the best show ever" and then the "the is the most gimmicky show ever". I saw the exact same show twice. He even said the same things and asked someone to propose on stage. So I now I just accept for what they are. A freaking good pop band. I would go see them regardless.

toaster100 Fri 12/12/2008 02:13PM

The Lips didn't impress me at 10klf either. I know a lot of people did really love the show and claim it was one of the best of the fest. Different strokes I guess. Kinda funny considering I use to listen to the lips over a decade ago...definitely a freak show, which I am all for of course. Enjoy this one if you make it.

BRAHnnie_lott starstar Fri 12/12/2008 03:20PM

BRAHnnie_lott

"If you have a chance to see them you should, hopefully Mark Coyne will roll through the audience in his giant inflatable hampster ball."

yeah good call deadbandofphishes420. for starters his name is wayne and second of all there is no doubt he will be in the big ball. you would think someone who "loves" the flaming lips would know something about them as opposed to someone like myself who despises them but still knows about them.

technopagan starstar Sun 12/14/2008 09:45PM

technopagan

Feux Freaks

Thumbs Down on this one.

louie8ball starstarstar Thu 12/18/2008 11:27AM

I saw the lips twice, and yes is was the same show both times. It was alot of fun, but there are definetly other bands out there I want to see and see again. STS9 puts on a hell of a show!! I'll be there on NYE!! Really want to see Les Claypool again. Ever see Rabbit in the Moon? His show rocks. Sry to get off topic.