Smashing Pumpkins 20 Ann Tour

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS ANNOUNCE 20TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR
TOUR TO INCLUDE MULTIPLE-NIGHT STOPS IN MOST CITIES
WITH DIFFERENT SET LISTS WHERE NO SONGS WILL BE REPEATED

Billy Corgan
This fall marks one of the busiest and most creative times in the history of the SMASHING PUMPKINS. They are celebrating the 20th anniversary of their 1988 formation with a unique fall tour, a precedent-setting new single ("G.L.O.W.," to be released via the Guitar Hero® World Tour game) and a revealing two-DVD set (If All Goes Wrong via Coming Home Media) filmed at their residencies last year in San Francisco and Asheville, NC.

The band - always one of rock's most forward-thinking, influential, and often misunderstood musical forces - commence their North American 20th Anniversary Tour November 1. The five-week run will be highlighted by multi-night stops in such cities as Chicago, Toronto, New York, Washington, Boston, Kansas City and Los Angeles. With such a vast repertoire, the Pumpkins are coming prepared with completely different set lists in each of the multi-night engagements with no songs being repeated over the course of the two-night run. Night #1 is being called "Black Sunshine," while night #2 will be dubbed "White Crosses." A special two-night ticket bundle will be available for all multi-night engagements.

In Chicago - where singer-guitarist BILLY CORGAN and drummer JIMMY CHAMBERLIN continue to be based - the Pumpkins will play four shows at two different venues. In cities where the band is set to play one night, they plan to deliver a unique one-off set.

Before the anniversary tour's kick-off, the Pumpkins will make a return performance at the annual Bridge School benefit hosted by Neil Young in Shoreline, CA on October 26 (the second of the two-night engagement). The band last performed at this annual event - benefiting children with severe speech and physical impairments - in 1999.

The Pumpkins have also confirmed a national television appearance for Friday, October 24 when they'll perform "G.L.O.W." on the outdoor stage at ABC-TV's Jimmy Kimmel Live. The song will be released via the upcoming Guitar Hero® World Tour game, marking the first time a band has recorded a new song exclusively for the franchise which will be released afterwards, giving Guitar Hero® fans exclusive access to Smashing Pumpkins music before anyone else. The new track, bundled with two other rocking Smashing Pumpkins hits - "1979" and "The Everlasting Gaze" - will be available post-launch of the game as a three-song downloaded content pack. Additionally, on-disc with the release of Guitar Hero World Tour this fall, Corgan will appear as an in-game character and will bring with him "Today," the band's smash hit from their pivotal and four-times platinum 1993 album Siamese Dream.

The band's upcoming two-DVD set If All Goes Wrong is due out November 11 and consists of a 105-minute documentary, also titled "If All Goes Wrong," plus The Fillmore Residency (read our review of one Fillmore show here), a full concert filmed in late July and early August of 2007 over five of the 11 sold-out nights at the famed Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco, CA. From the opening note to the final chord, the documentary If All Goes Wrong showcases a band returning with an "enveloping epic force" (Los Angeles Times) as it traces the Pumpkins during their 19-show residency, which began with eight shows at Asheville, NC's Orange Peel in late June and continued through 11 sold-out nights at San Francisco's famed Fillmore Auditorium. Interviews with band members, fans, journalists and fellow musicians reveal the fears, excitement, determination, exhaustion and tension inherent in Billy Corgan and his newly revitalized musical unit.

Smashing Pumpkins 20th Anniversary Tour
11/22/08 Sat Auditorium Theatre Chicago, IL
11/26/08 Wed Fabulous Fox Theatre St. Louis, MO
11/30/08 Sun RIMAC Arena San Diego, CA
12/02/08 Tue Gibson Amphitheatre Universal City, CA
12/03/08 Wed Gibson Amphitheatre Universal City, CA

[Published on: 9/24/08]

Comments

Flat5 starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 10:12AM

Flat5

fuck these guys!

Jeff Kash Wed 9/24/2008 10:23AM

Jeff Kash

Mohegan Sun sucks! Why didn't they start the tour on Halloween? Oh I see... They go on tour AFTER they smash the pumpkins.

phreak89 Wed 9/24/2008 10:25AM

phreak89

I saw them a few months ago in Boca. A decent show, nothing to get all hyped up about though. But I must admit, I love the way the way the article makes it seem like there changing set lists from night to night is a revolutionary idea.

chuckus starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 10:27AM

Only seen em once, but MAN was it worth it. It's a good show (and there are some good venues in there).

goodB3rger13 Wed 9/24/2008 10:33AM

goodB3rger13

Man, I wish they were coming somewhere down south. At least ATL or something. The Pumpkins were the first concert I ever saw back in 96 on the Melon Collie tour...it was awesome.

Sure they've changed a good bit since then and the lineup isn't the same, but this was the first band I ever really loved so I'm bummed I won't have a chance to see them on this tour.

My buddy was lucky enough to get tickets to one night of the Asheville residency last year and said they were outside smoking a cig and Billy Corgan just came up and started chatting with them. He's pretty out there, but they said he was really down to earth and an awesome guy to talk to.

Plus he's a huge CUBS fan!!!

if rhymes were valiums... starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 10:41AM

if rhymes were valiums...

maybe i'm blind.. but when do tickets go on sale jambase?

lovejahlive star Wed 9/24/2008 10:44AM

lovejahlive

Article says multi-night stop in Kansas City,Mo. but schedule shows a Fox Theater show in StL. Wtf?

AintNoFreedom Wed 9/24/2008 10:51AM

AintNoFreedom

Wait, is this really the smashing pumpkins, like reuinted? Or just Billy Corgan and some clowns.. because that makes a big difference to me.

Sixmilliondollarman Wed 9/24/2008 10:54AM

Sixmilliondollarman

Once a Corgan, always a Corgan.

thedrugsworkgreat Wed 9/24/2008 11:03AM

thedrugsworkgreat

It's just Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain - Not D'Arcy and James Iha. I love how they throw that term "Reunion" around so loosely. It's not even really a reunion. Corgan and Chamberlain were have been playing in a band called Zwan for the last 5 years. And that band wasn't selling any concert tickets because they basically suck. So... Captain Dipshit realized that by playiing Pumpkins tunes (with the same band) he could make some serious $$$.

granola Wed 9/24/2008 11:06AM

"MULTIPLE-NIGHT STOPS IN MOST CITIES

WITH DIFFERENT SET LISTS WHERE NO SONGS WILL BE REPEATED"

What a revolutionary idea. I wish bands would have thought of this years ago. What the fuck Jambase? Why write that?

linsbee314 Wed 9/24/2008 11:10AM

Was anyone there at the Township Auditorium in Columbia, SC when the chick on bass burned the Bible? Wow! Want to talk about a whole town freaking out. We like Bibles down south. They were banned from Columbia for life after that - but then they came back the very next year for the Infinite Sadness album. I guess money pays.

Gimmesomedead - they were just in Asheville at the Orange Peel for like 8 nights last year. Where were you? I wasn't there but got some music from it. Not too impressive. Either they've gotten a lot harder and squeal more, or the recording sucked. Was anyone there?

Mutilated Trips Wed 9/24/2008 11:25AM

Mutilated Trips

I think it would be like watching a really long, shitty version of the movie "Powder", anywhere, at anytime.

SmashySmashy star Wed 9/24/2008 11:26AM

SmashySmashy

Wow. I am sure I share the same frustration with Christianity that D'Arcy has.. but burning a bible?.. Come on, that is the same self righteous behavior and complete disregard for others that I see and hate in many Christians. So even though she is not in the new line-up, PASS. Melancholy was an amazing album but I am not paying a dime to see nu-school screechy grunge.

walthers star Wed 9/24/2008 11:37AM

Wow, a reunion tour, what a joke. The studio stuff was awesome but I have seen these guys twice and it was such a joke. Billy Corgan is a cry baby and I would not waste a dime seeing these guys live ever again.

"MULTIPLE-NIGHT STOPS IN MOST CITIES WITH DIFFERENT SET LISTS WHERE NO SONGS WILL BE REPEATED" very big of them, too bad most touring bands that are worth a damn don't have to mention this in their headline. Fuck these punks!

okalrightic Wed 9/24/2008 11:38AM

yeah, i like a couple of their songs but this tour would have to be free to even get me to think about it.

TheJuice star Wed 9/24/2008 12:00PM

TheJuice

cashing chumpkins! back to the 90's with you

bigfro Wed 9/24/2008 12:05PM

bigfro

90% of bands play the same set every night with slight changes. The Dead started the idea of 2 sets with no repeatrs in a given city or every five shows. It kept them from getting bored, so yes it does mean something when a Punk band lke Pumpkins shows props to the jam scene by following our lead.

walthers Wed 9/24/2008 12:17PM

^^Fair enough.

goodB3rger13 Wed 9/24/2008 12:25PM

goodB3rger13

linsbee...couldn't make the Orange Peel shows last year, plus tickets were not so easy to come by. I was in Columbia on the inifinite sadness tour I guess the year after the Township incident, but I don't remember hearing about that. Then again, I was in 8th grade so I had other things on my mind at the time.

It took me months to convince my parents to let me go to the show in the first place...good thing they didnt' hear about the Bible burning since ole dad is a preacher :) I would have no NO CHANCE if they knew about that!!

mmmFriedFrogLegs starstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 12:54PM

mmmFriedFrogLegs

i just saw them recently at mizner- boca, fl, and im gunna vouch for their live performance credibility. they had a pretty long spaced out jam. one hell of a setlist (the corgan solo stuff is tits) . and even did a few covers to encore . so yeah they check out as far as live acts go if your into their music n all , SP got my "thumbs up" anywho.

planetmertz Wed 9/24/2008 12:57PM

planetmertz

"TOUR TO INCLUDE MULTIPLE-NIGHT STOPS IN MOST CITIES

WITH DIFFERENT SET LISTS WHERE NO SONGS WILL BE REPEATED"

very original!

another band stealing the jam band formula.

linsbee314 Wed 9/24/2008 12:57PM

gimme - you were in 8th grade in Columbia then? Did you see them at the Coliseum? We're about the same age and possibly know each other. Freaky! I'm almost afraid to ask, but just tell me...what school?

SmashySmashy Wed 9/24/2008 01:10PM

SmashySmashy

Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

jibber02 Wed 9/24/2008 01:25PM

jibber02

No James Iha and D'arcy? Worthless. It's not a Pumpkins show if D'arcy isn't getting pissed off at the rest of the band members and walking offstage in disgust. And James Iha's guitar was legendary in it's day. Wasn't Jimmy Chamberlain kicked out before Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness? I'm confused. If there's no Jimmy Frog, I'm not traveling. Bring back the Gish days. God I'm old.

briank67 Wed 9/24/2008 01:33PM

briank67

ok, i've never been to the chicago theatre or the auditorium theatre. but i'd love to see billy and these pumpkins just once. anyone got any thoughts or preferences regarding these two venues?

HoodooVoodoo Wed 9/24/2008 01:33PM

HoodooVoodoo

Jimmy Chamberlain was briefly thrown out during the Mellan Collie Tour because he was doing smack with the keyboard player who incidently OD'd and died.

jibber02 Wed 9/24/2008 01:38PM

jibber02

That's right! Now it's all coming back to me. I saw them twice on that tour, both times sans Chamberlain, and it was the exact same show. Nice to see they're gonna "mix it up"

SOAM84 starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 02:20PM
Jeff Kash Wed 9/24/2008 02:36PM

Jeff Kash

Space Cadet Frogs opinion need not apply. He thinks Ryan Adams is better than Bob Dylan...

chidodger Wed 9/24/2008 02:37PM

chidodger

I live in the chicagoland area, and saw the pumpkins about 10 years ago, (the adore tour, i think it was) and I thought they were aweful. I know 1 person who went to the Hammond Indiana show a few weeks ago and he said it was pretty weak. and SOAM84, when it comes to guitar, Billy doesn't have anything on Trey. (kinda)met Billy once, and met Trey once, trey was friendly and thanked people for coming to the show, and Billy(who claims he loves Chicago and the people there soooooo much) was a total jagoff who couldn't be "bothered" by his fans. Pumpkins blow.

Jeff Kash Wed 9/24/2008 03:07PM

Jeff Kash

It's disrespectful using Trey's name in the same sentence with that overrated loser.

HoodooVoodoo Wed 9/24/2008 03:29PM

HoodooVoodoo

Its especially amusing since SOAM is an acronymn for Split Open And Melt. Maybe homeboy should change his name to pumpkin84

goodB3rger13 Wed 9/24/2008 05:01PM

goodB3rger13

linsbee...i guess i was in 8th grade when the township thing happened...10th grade for the infinite sadness tour at the coliseum!! Brookland-Cayce High School...

j-bizzle Wed 9/24/2008 05:32PM

j-bizzle

jibber - you don't know what in the hell you're talking about

1) D'arcy = most replaceable pumpkins band member. Corgan wrote all her parts.

2) D'arcy was and may still be a junkie, that is why Corgan will no longer play with her. Yes, so was Chamberlain, but he admitted to it and cleaned himself up.

and brian - i personally like the auditorium theater better.

SOAM84 starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/24/2008 06:54PM
Jeff Kash Wed 9/24/2008 07:00PM

Jeff Kash

SOAM84 I think you need to lay off the ready-rock.

futhepharmer Wed 9/24/2008 07:43PM

futhepharmer

yo fine white. why you change your name every day? you can pitch but you can't catch?

peanutbutterpuddingsurprise Thu 9/25/2008 12:45AM

peanutbutterpuddingsurprise

who cares?? if you like the pumpkins go see them, if not, quit hating. It's about about music. enjoy it.

Stuckdog1976 star Thu 9/25/2008 04:22AM

After Gish and the one with Cherub Rock on it - they got all artsy and deep and started doing heroin.......

Can't say I like the new stuff. That double album 'Weirdness and the infinite sadness or gayness" or whatever was the turning point....

Jimmy Chamberlain rocks though.........

z man starstarstarstar Thu 9/25/2008 05:03AM

I thought the Zeitgeist album was bad to the bone. So is the movie!

WARPAR Thu 9/25/2008 06:36AM

saw em in charlottesville earlier this year and it was fucking terrible. one of the worst shows i've ever seen by anyone. i'll be skipping this tour...and every one after it...

Broesau Thu 9/25/2008 07:47AM

Phish covered their best song "rhinocerous" (sp?) from their best album to open the deer creek run in 98, anyone that was there knows it was the shit.

THat being said, billy corgan has lost my respect for his public trashing of Jerry, and he looks like a sickly vampire with cancer in that photo. SMile, dude, you're rich!

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks Thu 9/25/2008 09:23AM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

Billy does overdo the tortured artist thing. He has written alot of good music though. If you think he cant play the guitar you dont know shit.

mikemac9317 Thu 9/25/2008 09:30AM

mikemac9317

Billy Corgan is Powder's twin brother.

TheJuice star Thu 9/25/2008 09:50AM

TheJuice

public jerry bashing? I would love to see every show. so I could throw a cup of warm feces on this punk.

linsbee314 starstarstarstarstar Thu 9/25/2008 10:27AM

gimme - I'm from the other side of the river downtown, but I think we're the same age. You're freaking me out! Go Blue Devils!

j-bizzle Thu 9/25/2008 10:52AM

j-bizzle

public jerry bashing? talking about the SF show? corgan was kidding, it was a joke. pull your patchouli smellin head out of your a$$.

Jeff Kash Thu 9/25/2008 03:29PM

Jeff Kash

I inject radioactive colors into my wook skin on a daily basis. Who am I? futhepharmer!

briank67 Thu 9/25/2008 09:20PM

briank67

a cup of warm feces? ewwwww

MostlyDead starstar Fri 9/26/2008 01:36PM

MostlyDead

reunion tour... but not all the original members?

HoodooVoodoo Fri 9/26/2008 02:06PM

HoodooVoodoo

I wouldn't exactly call it "Jerry bashing." I found it rather amusing myself. Here's the link.

Bowlegged Texan Mon 9/29/2008 07:06AM

Bowlegged Texan

Pumpkins are heavy and bad-ass. Not everyone wants to hear calm, bubbly psychedelia all the time. I love how everyone is "open-minded" on jambase... but wants to throw feces on a performer who doesn't sound like their favorite band. Just don't go to the show cock-sucker.

2Benny Mon 9/29/2008 02:14PM

2Benny

denverguy that was my first of many many Phish shows and "rhinocerous" is still the best cover Phish ever did not to mention best set ever I mean what's sicker then this

Rhinoceros

Halley's Comet

I Didn't Know

Ride Captain Ride

Cars Trucks Buses

Moma Dance

Strange Design

Character Zero

migus00 Tue 9/30/2008 10:24AM

migus00

SOAM84, you make me want to puke. Better than Trey? please.

SOAM84 starstarstarstarstar Tue 9/30/2008 01:32PM

Yup waaaaaay better than Trey.....Way Better...Billy Managed to stay clean...

TheJuice star Tue 9/30/2008 02:40PM

TheJuice

I used to love these cock suckers, when I was angry at my parents in highschool. kidding, kidding. Just making fun of their fans.

Badgerboy star Tue 9/30/2008 05:44PM

Badgerboy

I saw this version of the pumpkins last year. got all excited......then i saw the show......and its just the bill corgan show under the name of Smashing Pumpkins. So happy i got free tickets to that show, made it alot more enjoyable. Who wants to pay Corgan 50 plus bucks to walk around stage like he is god. Id rather go see someone who isn't washed up and trying to use his old band name to make money