Wilco: New Album for Spring

Wilco Planning New Album for Spring 2009

Wilco
In a recent interview with New York radio station WAMC, Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy indicated plans for a new Wilco album to hit this spring.

The news was spread by Billboard.com, where Tweedy was reported as saying he expects the band to "allow ourselves a little bit more leeway in terms of sculpting the sound in the studio and doing overdubs and using the studio as another instrument. Last time around [2007's Sky Blue Sky], it was more of a document."

Tweedy went on to say that he "kinda hate[s]" all of Wilco's previous albums (all six of them), because "none of them are a statement that I would be comfortable making right now at this point in my life. They all served their purpose, and in that respect I'm proud of all of them.

"But as something that feels artistically in keeping with who I am today, I think that they are inevitably going to fall short of that as time goes on. I mean, they just don't continue to mean the same things to me, and a new record is kind of where it's at."

Wilco perform tonight (8/20) in Idaho and will conclude their summer tour this weekend at San Francisco's Outside Lands Festival. The band will play one more gig at the end of August at a festival in Ireland before Tweedy plays four solo shows in Spain through September 6.

Wilco tour dates available here, Tweedy dates here.

Check out JamBase's exclusive feature/interview with Jeff Tweedy here.

[Published on: 8/20/08]

Comments

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 10:59AM

BGsteveBG

AHHHH!! This is awesome!!

KCReb starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 11:25AM

KCReb

Sweet! I really didn't expect this so soon after Sky Blue Sky. They've been touring non-stop and haven't been playing any new tracks as far as I know. I guess Tweedy has been keeping them to himself for now. Can't wait to hear this.

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 11:46AM

curtbraski

awesome!!!! did not see this one coming at all!!!

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 11:51AM
BGsteveBG Wed 8/20/2008 11:58AM

BGsteveBG

kirkbrew -> you suck.

mattland star Wed 8/20/2008 11:59AM
thisiswhathappenslarry Wed 8/20/2008 12:19PM

thisiswhathappenslarry

BOOOOO to mattland and kirkbrew. Go spread your musical angsts elsewhere

iwantstogetfunkedup starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 12:20PM

I agree that Kirkbrew sucks on donkey balls. As far as Wilco goes, Jeff Tweedy is an amazing songwriter for anyone that takes the time to listen to their records (I suggest Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are my faves). AND their live shows have only gotten better the last few years with the AMAZING Nels Cline on guitar. He is one of the best players out there period.

Navin R. Johnson Wed 8/20/2008 12:31PM

Navin R. Johnson

Can't wait for the show tonight in Boise. Will post the recording on Archive tomorrow if anyone is interested.

acomma Wed 8/20/2008 12:50PM

acomma

I've had 'Sky Blue Sky' on repeat for the past few weeks. Amazing album. Can't wait.

sbruce44 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 01:31PM

sbruce44

Wow. jambase poser/commenter theater just keeps moving like clockwork. The message: you'd better not be too good and accumulate too many fans, because then the REAL hippies - you know, the ones who only wear the most authentic patchouli - will backlash against you, because fuck being excellent and making music that people like, what really matters is impressing the Arbiters of All That Is Heady and Crunchy. It's going to be funny in a few months, after My Morning Jacket rocks the Garden, when the Arbiters of All That Is Heady and Crunchy decide that MMJ are a bunch of sellouts, their fans are totally not crunchy, and they've always hated them because they're just not totally heady and crunchy. Wait a minute... That actually won't be very funny at all.

Oh, a new Wilco album? Kick ass!!!

metaltje Wed 8/20/2008 01:47PM

i was hopeful when i saw new stuff appear on set lists. certainly looking forward to a new album, but not as much as i am looking forward to a new album's worth of material being added to the live arsenal. i thought SBS had good songs (the proof is in the live performance) but didn't really make the most compelling record of theirs. these folks can do great things in the studio though, and i keenly anticipate the next effort. all that being said, jeff is kind of a dick. i understand the point he's trying to make about hating stuff from the past, but i think his phrasing conveys his sentiment poorly. oh well, jeff wouldn't be jeff and wilco wouldn't be wilco if he wasn't kind of a dick. him being a dick doesn't really have any effect on me, but his music does, and so who cares.

finally, who gives a shit if jambase covers bands that don't do a ton of jamming? do people who enjoy bands that jam only enjoy those sorts of bands? of course not. if there are people like that, i suspect their hobby outside of jambands is bitching about "non-jambands" covered here. obviously, from the comments, plenty of people drawn to this site enjoy this band. i'm glad jambase let me know about this. even if you don't like wilco, what skin is it off your ass if jambase announces that there will be a new album?

sbruce44 Wed 8/20/2008 01:48PM

sbruce44

Anybody feel that breeze? Oh, I guess it's the backdraft of my point flying over bluntsnbisco's head.

sbruce44 Wed 8/20/2008 01:51PM

sbruce44

And yes, the reason there is a backdraft is because my point is on fire.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 01:54PM

HoodooVoodoo

Kirkbrew - you list Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Death Cab For Cutie, and Spoon as some of your top 18 favorite bands and you speak badly of Wilco?...Oh wait a second...Wilco is in your top 18 fav bands as well. Hmmm....

sbruce44 Wed 8/20/2008 02:02PM

sbruce44

ummmm... methinks maybe kirkbrew was being sarcastic.

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 02:04PM

kirkbrew

My comment was a JOKE. Good eye spfleming. You called it!

It just amazes me how people will bash on these guys. On the Neil Young article, one jack wad said something like: I've never seen these guys, but I've seen Tweedy and "i hardly doubt they will go to the top of the list." Eh???

And yes - I do suck. But not for the reason that you think and defiantly NOT donkey balls!

I'm interested to see what thy do. With Nels up to speed, I can see this album being a heavily produced avant-gard freak out.

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 02:16PM

Chaloupka

This is great news!

fishbone1 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 02:23PM

fishbone1

shake it off!

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 02:49PM

moephishH2O

Saweeeet! Get to see them in 3 days in Bend!

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 03:38PM

kirkbrew

It just dawned on me - SPRING?!?!?!? No, Jeff. That won't do. Work harder!!! Actually, I hope they take their damn sweet time.

Wilco sang the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game recently. Len Casper interviewed Jeff and asked about their 5 night run at the Riv where they played their catalog. Jeff mentioned that it was a lot of fun and thy may do it again this year. Standing outside in the bitter cold sucked, but the shows were HOT! It was also cool that they ordered coffee and hot coco for us folks in line.

coalmineR starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 04:06PM
jesposito Wed 8/20/2008 04:16PM

jesposito

good one coalminer!

can't wait for this, i loved yankee hotel and sky blue sky. and they were a great day show to catch at roo '06!

Muffinman1 Wed 8/20/2008 05:31PM

Muffinman1

Whats a good introductory Wilco album?

Hotchkiss starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 05:41PM

Hotchkiss

muffinman: i would go with yankee foxtrot hotel.

my first listen of there's was being there, but i didn't fall in love until i heard yankee foxtrot hotel.

a ghost is born is my favorite. also check out loose fur, it's jeff tweedy, glen kotche and Jim O'Rourke.

i'm super exited about this album.

howod starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 05:48PM

howod

hmmm:

Wilco + Tom Waits + Steve Earle

just sayin'....

Jukebox Hero Wed 8/20/2008 05:59PM

Jukebox Hero

Muffinman,

I'd just go get the double live Kicking Television. It's got many of the best songs off of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born, which are Wilco's most "rock" albums and are both certainly worth owning in their own right, as well as a few other gems. Summerteeth is excellent, a little on the poppier side. If you're into the softer stuff, Sky Blue Sky and Being There are great. A.M. is a fantastic alt-country record. (Although Wilco often get called alt-country, I think this is their only album that really fits the description.) Also, the Mermaid Avenue albums, which are collaborations with Billy Bragg on a whole mess of unrecorded Woody Guthrie songs, are some of their best work. Really you can't go wrong. But like I said, Kicking Television is s great place to start.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 07:29PM

HoodooVoodoo

Yeah..the Mermaid Avenue songs are some of the very Woody Guthrie songs that Bob Dylan was going to record when he first arrived in New York hung out with Woody in the hospital. Dylan talks about these songs and Wilco briefly in his autobiography, Chronicles Vol I. I really like Jesus Christ For President, Hesitating Beauty, and of course Hoodoo Voodoo.

tuckyhead Wed 8/20/2008 09:24PM

tuckyhead

MMJ rocks! always has and always will.

tuckyhead Wed 8/20/2008 09:28PM

tuckyhead

just to clarify. Always means "at all points in time" or at "anytime". The term comes from the words "all" and "ways", meaning that something is happening and will do so eternally.

pitchfork starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 11:00PM

pitchfork

Being somewhat of a newcomer to Wilco's music, I was excited to see their live show earlier this evening. I had heard great things about their concerts and I was not disappointed. They are fantastic musicians; the songwriting is excellent. Album recommendations will come in handy. Thanks!

As a huge fan of "jambands" like GD, Phish,Umphrey's, Panic, moe., and the like, I think it is important for people to have a wide variety of musical tastes, as the musicians in each of these bands certainly do.

Opinions rule at Jambase but I certainly like the variety of opinions presented. This site is a valuable resource for music fans of many tastes.

That said, I am stoked for the new album!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/21/2008 05:42AM

hehe. last time I wrote "who cares" on a wilco article, kayceman wrote me an email asking me why I had to hate on wilco like that. hate?? no not even close.

at the same time during that period, there was an article on a colorado band that does tribal rock. that was some REAL HATING. the posts there were just down right ugly. I just said who cares, but good god, its not like I really totally trashed the band.

anyway.. I don't care if its not jam, though thats my preference, I still like many other groups. Jose Gonzales for one. probably my favorite new singer songwriter for sure. no jams..

anyway. wilco fans get their panties in a wad so easily its really funny.

this band can write, play and are in general a great and legendary band.

but its not my thing.

cheers people, and for god sakes, try to take it easy, and not get so damned upset because others may not like your favorite bands.

see ya!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/21/2008 05:51AM

I have made an effort to be civil and concise.

please do not beat me up too bad. thnx.

Jeff Kash Thu 8/21/2008 07:20AM

Jeff Kash

I'll be the one to do it:

Who fucking cares. These guys suck. They aren't a jam band.

There. I saved many of you some precious time. Now, you can divert your hate to something else. And by the way, you're welcome.

I couldn't agree more.

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/21/2008 09:27AM

curtbraski

Where is RooRothLimits.... cuz he is the biggest D Bag of em all... your name is based on festies where you are a straight custy you fuckin piece of shit

phanatic2 starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/21/2008 09:35AM

Who cares about your musical preferences to anyone who says who cares! If you dont care about a press release.......try doing this: Stop wasting time out of your day and taking time to post negative comments about a band you dont like. Most likely the article was not even read by the people who "dont care". One more point...If you dont care....then why are you making a point to let everyone in the jambase community that you dont care. I think you do care,..but not in the accepted way. Complaining is for the birds, so why dont you just fly away!

Glad that Wilco has a new album, everything they have released has been nothing short of unbelievable, with maybe the exception of AM. Yankee, Ghost, Kicking and Sky are legendary albums. Check out the doc "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" You can see them in the studio, and learn about the legal battles they had with Warner prior to 2001s Yankee Hotel. Peace to the peeps....and peace to all the people who want to join me in dumping beer on Blunts n bisco

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/21/2008 09:46AM

BGsteveBG

I got drum lessons from Glenn Kotche. Truth.

BrotherJoe1 Thu 8/21/2008 10:01AM
iAMuANDwhatIseeISme Thu 8/21/2008 11:45AM

iAMuANDwhatIseeISme

thats badass steve! kotche is one of THE most unique guys to ever sit behind a kit. he's unfucking real.

rainydaywomen420 starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/22/2008 12:40AM

rainydaywomen420

You can download the radio show on wilcos website, tanglewood was one of the best shows ive seen, just bought tickets for wilco/neil young this morning, and if you cannot grasp the glory that is WILCO i can only feel sorry for you sorry heads or lack there of

philhitz Fri 8/22/2008 11:02AM

anyone else like jay farrar's songwriting more than tweedy's? -- ok you can give me my thumb now :)

flarrdogg starstarstarstarstar Sun 8/24/2008 08:30PM

flarrdogg

bring it on! great news.

AbeFroman Mon 8/25/2008 11:44AM

BrotherJoe1... my wife and I have a name for what you're describing. It's called the Whiney Singers Club. And it's not so much that the lyrics are whiney... it's just that the tenor in which they are delivered can sound very very whiney. Along with Tweedy & James, I'd throw Chris Martin from Coldplay, Thom Yorke from Radiohead, and Dave Matthews from DMB into that club. Like you said, for the most part these bands have great musicianship and well crafted songs but the sound with which the lyrics are delivered can begin to grate on one's nerves.

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Mon 8/25/2008 05:40PM

moephishH2O

The show on Saturday in Bend was AMAZING. Last time I was able to see Wilco was Bonnaroo 2004.

Jack Straw Berry star Mon 8/25/2008 09:06PM

Jack Straw Berry

no...wilco definitely sucks...buy their records, but don't go see them...especially when they play small venues (like they used to)...they really aren't very good when they play the fillmore and stuff....honestly...

elephantghost starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/29/2008 05:38PM

Wilco is a band full of genius.

They will no doubt prove that with this next album, as they have with their other albums.

In case you didn't know... Nels Cline is an avant garde jazz guitarist and Glenn Kotche is a minimalist composer. The music they make is more amazing than most of you will ever be able to understand.

That being said.. I really would love to see Jim O'Rourke produce/mix this one.

JaphyTaphy Tue 9/2/2008 03:21PM

JaphyTaphy

Tweedy never seems to be satisfied with his efforts. While his comments are only reflections of his mentality towards still searching for that perfect sound, albeit overly critical ones, i would question if "hating" all your band's albums is a positive or negative sentiment, had it not been for all the superb music wilco has put out so far. i'd instead pass it off as a perfectionist's unquenchable yearning for greatness, which i suppose is a good thing.