Howlin Rain Join Crowes

HOWLIN RAIN JOIN THE BLACK CROWES FOR FALL U.S. TOUR DATES

"Sounds Like: A psychedelic cocktail of Crosby, Stills and Nash, the Faces, the Damned and author Raymond Carver." –Rolling Stone "Breaking"

"Their sun-baked, lyrically feverish chooglin' is more textured and melodic on these addictive new jams..."

-Mojo 4 stars (out of 5)

Howlin Rain
S.F. psych rockers Howlin Rain, featuring Comets on Fire co-founder and lead singer Ethan Mille and Drunk Horse's Joel Robinow, will be joining The Black Crowes for the West Coast and East Coast legs of their fall 2008 tour. Favorites on the summer festival circuit here and abroad (Bonnaroo and upcoming gigs at S.F.'s Outside Lands Fest with Radiohead on 8/22 and Seattle's Bumbershoot Fest on 8/31), Howlin Rain embrace and expand on the cosmic musical legacy of their Bay Area blues-driven home base. The band's Birdman/American debut, Magnificent Fiend, is freeform, organic and transcendent, with songs that roll from the speakers like a half-waking vision made of dreams and nightmares, ignited and guided by the power of the band and the velvet roar of Miller's vocals.

Road-tested on tour with Queens of the Stone Age and fellow tripper outfit Black Mountain, Howlin Rain's laid-back grooves and soulful breakdowns build to explode into anthemic choruses with mind-melding guitar riffs and soaring, string-bending solos. Miller is a passionate, possessed frontman and the band's intuitive playing and synched-in musicianship is a heady shot of pure, timeless rock and roll. Catch them live on one of the following dates, and enter to win free tickets for select shows here.

HOWLIN RAIN TOUR DATES

10.12 Northampton, MA @ Calvin Theater*
10.13 Toronto, ON @ Horseshoe Tavern
10.15 Portland, ME @ Merrill Auditorium
10.17 Boston, MA @ Boston Opera House*
10.18 Buffalo, NY @ The Town Ballroom*
10.28 New York City, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom*

Check out JamBase's exclusive feature/interview with Howlin Rain here...

[Published on: 8/13/08]

Comments

CaptKirk Wed 8/13/2008 03:34PM

I saw the Crowes a few weeks ago and was excited to see them for the first time. I have to say that it was one of the most disappointing shows I have ever seen. The song selection was terrible. Chris sounded great, but he didn't seem to care about being on stage performing. The opening band (Grace Potter & The Nocturnals) were outstanding and brought 110% energy to their set. The highlight of the Crowes set...The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/13/2008 03:42PM

Chaloupka

The Crowes rock, and so does Howlin Rain - good for them!

Chaloupka Wed 8/13/2008 03:45PM

Chaloupka

CaptKirk,

What show did you see? When you say "the song selection was terrible," I think you mean that they just didn't play only their hits.

crazynate Wed 8/13/2008 03:54PM

crazynate

I agree with you Captkirk i just saw the Crowes at Alpine Valley on the 9th and was super stoked to see them and was very disappointed. The show just had no energy the band just seemed like they were going throught the motions. I was actually very impressed by DMB, they brought the heat that night. I have also heard from alot of people who have seen the Crowes this summer and say the same thing they were all disappointed.

Ilikephish531 Wed 8/13/2008 05:04PM

Ilikephish531

i'm just going to chime in here by saying i also saw the crowes at alpine and am in complete agreement with crazynate. saw em in 06, pre luther of course, at sommerset and it was absolutely awesome. the band didn't even have close to the same energy. merely observing what i saw, not critiqing.

happydestiny Wed 8/13/2008 06:13PM

happydestiny

I have been disappointed for 4 out of six BC shows...sometimes they got it, other times well...lackluster seems to be the best word

towergroveking starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/13/2008 09:36PM

towergroveking

I recently went to the FREE show here in St. Louis to see Grace Potter open for them, and found myself really enjoying the Black Crowes set. I wasn't expecting much and only stayed to see how Luther blended with the guys. It was my first BC show and I can officially say they have a new fan. I guess they are just hit or miss like most other jam bands...

secondbreakfast Wed 8/13/2008 09:40PM

secondbreakfast

wasn't the set at Alpine Valley like 4 songs over 45 minutes? And they didn't blow your mind? We'll see who's boss at the Fillmore for five nights in December.

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/13/2008 11:18PM

curtbraski

this would be fun

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Thu 8/14/2008 05:44AM

I will refrain from my usual comments. your welcome.

hippiedaze starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/14/2008 07:09AM

Wow, Can't believe all of the negatives on the Crowes, I have seen them probably around 4 or 5 times and just recently saw them in a really small venue and they rocked the place, great set list, incredible energy, And just happens to be the best show I've seen them play, this also due to the small venue vibe! I also agree with whoever spoke about Grace Potter and the Nocturnals opening up for the Crowes, they rocked my shit, and seeing grace throw on that flying V and rock the house just totally got everyone dancing their asses off~

Mark Price former NBA star Thu 8/14/2008 07:15AM

Mark Price former NBA star

The Crowes kick ass, enough said

AintNoFreedom starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/14/2008 07:22AM

AintNoFreedom

I saw these guys a couple weeks ago... So good! I don't understand the naysayers on here. And with Howlin' Rain as the opener now... I'm even more stoked to see these guys in October.

crazynate Thu 8/14/2008 08:27AM

crazynate

I am not hating on the Crowes, I just think they are not a 60 thousand + venue band. I have seen them a handful of times over the last 2 years and all of the times before I saw them last weekend rocked. But the Crowes have always been hit or miss, IMO it is Chris Robinson who makes or breaks the Crowes in every show.

rp1guy Thu 8/14/2008 10:03AM

rp1guy

I'm such a huge North Mississippi fan and I HATE that Luther is with the Crows now. NMA never tour anymore and have not released anything in ages. OK, I'm being selfish obviously this is great for Luther but it sucks BIG TIME for me. I need NMA come to NYC soon or I'll go crazy!!!! Help a brother out Luther!!!!

Jeff Kash Thu 8/14/2008 06:03PM

Jeff Kash

Since when are the Black Crowes a "jamband"? They SUCK at jamming. I'm sure bluntsnbisco420 would agree with me.

Bridget Thu 8/14/2008 08:41PM

Bridget

Im curious about Howlin Rain. Seems like they're getting some

good small shows in the bay area... and now a major tour.

santa cruz should be fun...

seneskia Thu 8/14/2008 09:28PM

North Missippi had a new album at the beginning of '08 and saw them in Detroit in February, it was sick! NMAS will be back after this black crowes tour, and if your Luther how do you pass on a chance to play with a band like the Crowes, and probably make some pretty good coin on the tour!

Putnameter Fri 8/15/2008 08:26AM

Putnameter

awww man, never heard of the opener, but I was lovin Grace and the nocturnals. I was looking forward to seeing them again w/ the crowes. Oh well cya at the National!

WarRoomCommander Sat 8/16/2008 12:55PM

WarRoomCommander

Howlin Rain is the story here people. They will steal the show from the Black Crows no doubt. If you have not checked them out do so now!

DBang starstarstarstarstar Sat 8/16/2008 09:10PM

i don't even know where to start. i'm 99.5% sure that everyone who commented about 'poor song selection' on the part of crowes has yet to listen to the latest album from the crowes: 'warpaint' which has been out for many months. check it out. new and rockin' tunes from one of the great rock bands of our generation. if the criticisms were 'i like marc ford better than luther' or 'i miss eddie harsch,' it wouldn't bother me at all, but all this 'they didn't play she talks to angels' shit is for the birds (no pun intended).

with regard to the complaints about NMA's, i saw them two months ago about 4 miles from house which hasn't happened in 5 years, and they have released an album this year...it's called 'hernando'...check it out, too.

now back to story at hand, i need to go check out howlin' rain so that i have an idea of what to expect at the many crowes shows i intend to check out this fall.

durkadurka starstarstarstarstar Sun 8/17/2008 04:19AM

Howlin Rain is great live and I hope we'll finally have some live recordings from the Crowes' tapers.